Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Matchmaking

Why does the matchmaking team up red and purple rank survivors with rank 20?

Answers

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited March 2020

@xpertbandit

It's an issue with the matchmaking system that's currently in place, it's especially an issue with lower ranks, since being paired with more skilled Killers and/or Survivors is not really good for newer players. They did make an update on reworking the matchmaking and ranking system though, so this shouldn't be an issue anymore when that rolls out.

With that being said, there hasn't been much about this since the initial update that mentioned it. I'll link you to that post below and the quote that you should definitely read beforehand, since it's supposed to inform you about how this update will be released in the future.

Here's the link to the matchmaking update + important quote

"The release of these changes will be gradual. With the release of the mid-chapter update, we are able to start tracking skill levels. For the time being, this is only a test and is not being used for matchmaking purposes. Once we are confident that the skill rating is working as intended, we will be running tests on live servers."

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/124795/status-update-matchmaking-changes#latest

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

With all that being said above, grey ranks are supposed to be able to be paired with players of any rank (that is, it's not a bug or anything). Obviously the game prioritises players closer to their own rank if possible, but generally there aren't enough new players (yellow/grey ranks) around at any given time to reliably match them with one another. That's why there is no limit on how far away in rank grey ranked players can be matched with, because the game assumes they would rather have a badly-matched game than no game at all (which is what they might get if the matchmaking rules were stricter).

There are obviously issues with this though, which is why, as FireHazard mentioned, the devs are planning to roll out a new and improved matchmaking system in the near future.

• ReddIveee
    ReddIveee Member Posts: 1

I'm currently a rank 10 killer and if I do well in a match like kill all the survivors the very next match i'll get survivors that completely run over me. lol so if i do bad then the very next match i'll be back playing potato and trash survivors who are too easy. It seems to be no middle ground with the new ranking system. If you do "well' you get paired with just random other people that did 'well' their last game no matter what rank. It's honestly awful i've been playing consistently since rank reset and have only managed to move down like 1 or 2 levels because every time i gain a pip with the trash survivors i lose it the very next round with the purple and red rank swf.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

The new ranking system hasn't been implemented yet, so if there appears to be a pattern in the skill levels of the players you get matched with, there shouldn't be, and it's almost certainly purely coincidental.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

I'm sorry to hear that, it's frustrating to start out in the game and already face Red Rank Survivors as a Killer (for example).

But as of right now, the new matchmaking system is not currently in place, you're currently experiencing the "old" matchmaking system that has this issue in it at the moment. The new matchmaking system is looking to improve upon the old one while also fixing a lot of the issues that it brought to the table, such as the "rainbow rank" issue that you're currently experiencing.

The current matchmaking has an issue where it's pairing lower ranked Survivors/Killers with higher ranked Killers/Survivors, having this happen a lot is just bad luck, it's for sure not intentional. When the new matchmaking is in place though, this issue should fad away. If you'd like to know more about the initial update on the new matchmaking system, than I can link it below again for you.

Here's the link to the matchmaking update

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/124795/status-update-matchmaking-changes#latest