The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is Dead by Daylight a competitive game or a casual game?

This is a question primarily aimed at the Dead by Daylight designers and developers as each type of game achieves balance differently.

If Dead by Daylight is competitive, then rank will matter more and balance should be focused around the rank 1 gameplay.

If Dead by Daylight is casual, then rank is merely for bragging rights and balance should be focused around rank 15 gameplay.

I'm just curious as to what your collective vision is for the game BHVR.

Best Answers

Answers

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

Well, now we know why the developers have been balancing around low ranks. The only question that remains is why are there ranks at all?

• Utna
    Utna Member Posts: 186
    edited August 2018

@Peasant said:
    Well, now we know why the developers have been balancing around low ranks. The only question that remains is why are there ranks at all?

To separate casual gamers and wanna be competitive ones during pairings of course, why else would it be ? The TRUE only question that remains is why on earth couldn't you figure that on yourself ... I mean, I'm honestly intriged about what was your guess ... you had to have one, right ? What was it ?

• King_Checkmate
    King_Checkmate Member Posts: 60
    If u have a full team, and all die, and no one did anything, you can still escape through secret door and free win.

Obiously a casual game.
  • theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

@Utna said:

@Peasant said:

To separate casual gamers and wanna be competitive ones during pairings of course, why else would it be ? The TRUE only question that remains is why on earth couldn't you figure that on yourself ... I mean, I'm honestly intriged about what was your guess ... you had to have one, right ? What was it ?

Ranks don't mean ######### tbh.
    I have play with and against good and REALLY BAD/Potato survivors in all ranks.

People at rank 1 also can be really mediocre at the game so the ranks hold no purpose outside of making some people wait a lot of time for games.

• Utna
    Utna Member Posts: 186

@theArashi said:
    Ranks don't mean ######### tbh.
    I have play with and against good and REALLY BAD/Potato survivors in all ranks.

People at rank 1 also can be really mediocre at the game so the ranks hold no purpose outside of making some people wait a lot of time for games.

If everyone played just for fun (because that's usually the purpose of playing a game), there would be bad, average and good players separated with each other, thanks to the game's rank pairing. But I guess, some people believe they're better than they really are and they might do anything to be amongst the best players, even at the expanse of everyone's fun.

I guess this is why so many survivor hook farm their teamates, and why face camping + NOED is still a thing. None of those playstyles are fun and it makes everyone miserable, save maybe the self dillusional individual who believes he deserves to rank up.