Why are the devs so oblivious to the fact that

2»

Comments

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

What? The very nature of Hearthstone is such that of course a lucky lower rank will beat a higher ranked person in a single game. Games like that are intentionally designed in that fashion, it's not even a secret.

Perhaps less well-known is the fact that in many "competitive scenes" surrounding these games, organizers work to ensure that the same well-known players maintain a certain level of visibility to give the illusion of some sort of great consistency, but oh well.

• GoddamnBananas
    GoddamnBananas Member Posts: 54

Okay, but that's not the point you were making before. You attacked me for playing with friends, referring to it as "abusing an advantage." Then you implied that saying that it's a casual party game, which it is, or at least was originally meant to be, is hypocrisy and compared it to wanting unfair loops.

These kinds of comments were what I was reacting to. If your problem was just the matchmaking, THAT'S what you should have said. And I agree, this game's matchmaking is a disgrace; there's other way to describe it. It consistently fails both sides. And somehow, it seems to have actually gotten worse over the years. You're absolutely right that it's unfair to newer players. But that's not the fault of SWF's. The devs already said they were making it so that the game matches based on the highest person's rank, and not the average rank of the group like it used to. Now we just have to wait and see if they can actually do it right for once.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited April 2020

It is still a 1 v 1 scenario and each side had access to the same tools which are balanced so they can be equally as strong.

In this game a new player could beat a vet depending what they have to work with. That's the rng aspect of maps and everything else the game has. It doesn't matter how good you are if there is nothing around to use then you are going to be hit.

These games players keep trying to compare were specifically designed from the ground up to work in such a way so there can be an equal playing field with counters for competative play. It makes no sense to use those examples as a 1v1 or 5v5 where each side can use the same as others will always be completely different.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

I didn't "attack" you, I simply said it's an advantage.

You can choose to believe you're not using the advantage, but you certainly are. Perhaps not to the extent that others do, but it's certainly being used. I highly doubt you don't say, "Killer's over there." to your friends on voice comms.

Is that bad in and of itself? No, it's fine. What it does seem to do is cause the matchmaking to have such odd results, which is mostly what I object to.

(That and people seem more willing to turn into total clowns when supported by three friends, but that's another story.)

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

I forgot to mention that a lot of people suggested to add a totem HUD with number of totems that still exist on the map for both sides. I think it will also be a nice QoL change for the game.