Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Perks over time.

kld3169
kld3169 Member Posts: 101

As a new player, I often wonder if my perk preferences will change as I progress and my game play improves.

Right now - since I'm just over 100 hrs. - I like perks that tell me when the killer is near (Premonition), or where he is occasionally (Kindred?).

Love Self-care.

As you progressed as survivor, did you guys find your preferences changed dramatically as you moved into red-ranks?

What will I like in the future vs. now I wonder?

Best Answers

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127
    Answer ✓

Yes actually, back when I first started playing the game, my build was mainly focused on hiding and making sure I stay on generators. I didn't know how to chase the killer around and usually get downed in a couple of seconds.

Now my build looks like this after 1.5k hours of playing.

Dead Hard - Probably the best Exhaustion perk in the game in my opinion, can force the killer to miss a swing or help you reach a pallet/window (when it work, I've been dedicated servered before and left exhausted on the ground.)

WIndows of Opportunity - Very helpful for being the Solo Runner, helps you figure out which spots are dead zones and which are safe to loop the killer around. Also helps if your teammates are very pallet happy so you know when to focus on windows rather than pallets.

Object of Obsession - I typically want to be chased the whole game if I could, because I find the chase much more fun than doing generators. It's always a thrill whenever I face a killer that the community deems as "overpowered" (none of them are) like Spirit or Freddy. They tend to be the best games I play.

We're Gonna Live Forever - Gotta get that Bloodpoint Bonus. I tend to get 2 or 3 stacks on the regular, depending on how often my teammates get downed and need rescuing.

I went from being a Gen Jockey to someone who wants to be chased by the killer the whole game, and the games rarely disappoint (unless you get horrible teammates)

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Answer ✓

@kld3169

Everyone eventually changes from their "nooby state". As a player grows, so does their knowledge of what's meta and what's not. Now, this isn't specifically true for everyone... Since a lot of players will branch out from the meta itself, but the overall truth of the matter is that you'll eventually grow out of what you've used in the past.

A lot of people love Self-Care as noobs and vets, but they'll eventually grow out of it when they learn how to loop, combo other perks with their old ones, etc. Some people still use Self-Care because they know how to use it more "efficiently". You'll never use someone use default Self-Care with Botany, unless they're sure that the time they're wasting is worth it.

I can't really give an example for myself as a Survivor, since I didn't main it (and still don't), but I can give an example as a Killer when I started playing the game. When I was new, my go-to was (shocking I know...) Michael Myers. I'd often suffer on maps that we're small and confined like Lery's, mainly because I didn't know what I was doing at the time. After a week of playing though, I got used to it, and eventually after that... Lery's became the easiest maps for me to play on with Myers.

That's cool and all, but what does this have to do with perks?

It doesn't really, but the concept is still there. My example is telling you that I was able to eventually overcome my worst map and than make it into my best map to play on. I was able to learn how to take the most efficient routes in a chase and close in on a Survivor. It was a favorite pass-time of mine with Mirror Mikey, but I didn't really use that build that often anyways.

My point is, as you start off, you learn to adjust to how certain things work. I didn't always run efficient builds when I started out, in-fact I was using something like Bitter MurMur, Brutal Strength, and other common perks I can't really remember...

Ok... whats the point?

You'll adjust, you'll learn, that's the best part about this game. You'll eventually learn the meta and know what's best for your play-style. If you like being sneaky than you'll use more efficient perks to do so! If you like being chased, you'll use stuff like Lithe, Quick and Quiet, Head-On, etc!

You'll eventually find your play-style while you keep playing, at the moment you don't really know but you'll get there. A lot of Survivors start off by hiding around obvious places or sitting around the edges of the map, but they eventually learn that this game is all about every second! Every second counts, hiding forever isn't efficient (unless done right...), it's all about your objective and knowledge of each loop.

"What will I like in the future vs. now I wonder?"

That's for you to figure out. You'll eventually understand what you enjoy using as a build and adjust it to work with the meta. For some people it happens instantly, for others it happens eventually. As long as you keep experimenting and improving, you'll eventually understand what you enjoy using.

Maybe you want to use meta perks? Maybe you'll like a stealth build? Maybe you'll enjoy chase build? Who KNOWS!!! The possibilities are almost endless... You'll figure it out eventually, but it all depends on you in the end.