Decisive Strike, but balanced as Borrowed Time.

Hell-o fog friends,

I was wondering why Decisive Strike is meant as a counter measure for tunneling, but I always see it used in a way that guarantees the waste of a killer's time. Taking a hit for a friend, baiting the killer to pick you up or grab you during a vault. Vaulting into a locker over and over hoping you'll pick them up to get stunned, etc. So, in essence one bad hit of Decisive Strike could harm a killer's momentum greatly and having to leave a survivor slugged for so long when they could have multiple second chance perks, Adrenaline or UnbreakaBILL combo'd with it. If they were to all run these perks and be semi decent survivors, most games would be in their favor, especially when they're SWF. The game for killer is rather difficult, too difficult I feel especially if the map is more survivor favored because of Decisive Strike. I never mind borrowed time, but I want you to consider this. I feel that Decisive Strike is being used in a way that isn't fun for killer in a way that it should be meant to prevent the killer from knocking you out of the game. Yes, I understand killers may tunnel, but why do survivors need a whole minute to not be tunneled..? Does that make sense? If the killer is actively chasing you, there should be a bar on you much like Borrowed Time and when you go down if they don't pick you up for 25s then it runs out. But if the killer is actively chasing you, you get to keep your DS for the length of the chase. That way if a killer is actually tunneling you, then you get to defend yourself. The fact that a killer makes a small mistake and can be punished for it time wise vs all the second chance perks available to survivors in higher ranks makes it so much less fair. I'm against tunneling, but I understand at times you have to deal with the cards dealt on a game to game basis. Except I want you to think about how many "mistakes" survivors are allowed to make compared to killer. Servers are a bit sketchy now when it comes to perks like Dead Hard, survivors tend to get deadicated on use for it, however. This perk is often used in the same way, oops. I don't think I make this pallet without Dead Hard. Oops, he's going to get me if I don't Dead Hard to this vault. Oh no, the killer slugged me. Time to unbreakaBILL. *SWF Comms* Gens are almost done and he's chasing me! I've got Adrenaline, just rush the last gen!

Some info about me, I have over 3.2k hours on Survivor and Killer. I see my teammates use Decisive Strike in this way all the time and I'm annoyed by it, but not because they did it, but because the devs have allowed it. Remember when Borrowed Time gave the unhooking survivor AND the survivor the borrowed time status? Well, isn't it about time that Decisive Strike received the same balancing in fairness for killer? Dead by Daylight is heavily a game about knowing your killer, the maps, survivors and time management. The killer is punished way more for wasting time than survivors are. Why does Decisive Strike get a whole minute of safety vs Borrowed Time's max amount of 25s? Slugging a survivor for a minute each seems like too much forgiveness, for lack of a better word. A good killer will have to slug them and they know that because if anyone is running decisive strike, the killer is likely trying to play fair and not pick them up. But if the survivor is actively running at them, trying to Head On combo the killer, etc. This takes up so much of the killer's time that they lose out on pressure. I've done this to killers before as well, I'm no angel. It only occurred to me that Decisive Strike is far too forgiving on survivor's end. Please, explain why they need a whole minute if they're not being chased. Imagine a killer has really good tempo. They manage to get multiple hooks in succession, but end up having to wait out a survivor's Decisive Strike for a minute each..? I've had many games where this has occurred and I've had to leave them slugged because of it. I shouldn't have to eat each Decisive Strike if it's meant to stop tunneling, not me playing "fair" and being punished for it. It's worse when survivors are wearing the same clothing and I can't keep track of them all or what perk's they're running. Like which one has balanced landing, who has sprint burst, lithe, etc.

This is more about a quality of life change for killer, about fairly balancing time usage. Believe me, the way that survivors use Decisive Strike is more along the lines of "I have a whole minute to waste the killer's time" not "I can defend myself from being tunneled." I just want to know if my suggestion for making it similar to Borrowed Time is fair or not. Because there's also the Borrowed Time into Decisive Strike combo... where you a survivor gets Borrowed Time gets to the gate, lets you hit them, activates their Decisive Strike just to taunt you at the gate. Listen, I'm all for fun and taunting the killer isn't really a toxic thing to me, they want to have fun. I do too, but Decisive Strike having so much usefulness as a perk is way too much value for survivors. It doesn't really take away from survivors having it balanced in this way either. It means that the killer can waste less time and worry less about steam rolling a swf group because it means they have to work together and not just have survivors rotate who takes the killer to what loop while everyone else is on gens. Information is so valuable in this game, this is a small step in making the quality of matches for killer better. A majority of players I am matched with are swf, they get comms, I don't. This game needs killers and the fact that it takes me so long to find a match as survivor means there aren't enough killers available and even if there are they often aren't prepared for how much of their time I do waste without using Decisive Strike. Many of the infinites are gone now, I am so happy about that. There are a lot of good changes coming to Dead by Daylight.

I just need to know if anything is going to be done about Decisive Strike now or in the near future because it's not just about time management. It's about new killers learning the game and being overwhelmed about perks, one of the main ones being Decisive Strike. Killers that camp, don't make points. Killers that tunnel, barely make points. Killers that have to outplay four people by themselves shouldn't have to worry about being smacked with *spins wheel* I don't know, a frying pan. Why is a survivor holding a frying pan while being chased? I don't know. I just wonder about the balancing of this specific survivor perk because all of the others seem okay.

Comments

• Fiv55
    Fiv55 Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2020

I think ds should get some nerfs. Just like ruin, players rely to much on that one perk with no own effort. There are different perks in the game that grant you a health state with way more requirements/own effort like second wind or mettle of man.

My suggestion:

• deactivates when healed or bt got triggered (so that you cant get unhooked, into adrenaline, into bt, into ds etc)
    • timer goes twice as fast if the surv is working on a gen, heals other survivors, in a locker, searches a chest, cleansing a totem and/or if EGC is active

So if someone gets tunneled off the hook, he can still use loops and his timer wont be affected. But it would reduce the amount of bs swf actions and still remains powerful. Imo you shouldnt get unhooked and have a 60s "shield" while working on gens or if the EGC already started. Also a killer incentive to open the 99% doors, so that ds runs out faster.

• Bearish
    Bearish Member Posts: 3

You think that was a massive nerf? As if it was balanced already? 😂

• MaDDoXTri
    MaDDoXTri Member Posts: 2

here a suggestion Since it meant to be a counter to tunneling this should be a perfect solution: After being unhooked or unhooking yourself, Decisive Strike will become active and usable for 40/50/60 seconds *or another survivor get hooked*. If you manage to down and hook another survivor so quick you're not tunneling, it's just that survivor's suck.

• Guenther
    Guenther Member Posts: 8

Making the effect of your own perk dependent on what the other survivors do, is a bad idea. If there is one bad survivor in the team, DS would become worthless. And in solo queue, there is always this one survivor 😂

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

TL;DR most of this.

I did read the first line, however, and am please to let you know that DS is not an anti-tunnel perks, so fear not - it works exactly as intended with absolutely no changes. You're welcome.

:D

• elvangulley
    elvangulley Member Posts: 569

Thats how teams work you cant just take all the good and discard the bad. If your teammates suck to bad killer shouldn't be punished for that.

• elvangulley

And pay the price after finding, chasing, downing, and hooking somebody else. You also pay the price during endgame when you played fair all game but they still get a free escape because they can crawl to the gates since you cant pick them up. Its bs

• elvangulley

It is bs because its letting you work on gens for a whole minute untouched. If i found another survivor chased them downed them a d hooked them then found you by chance i shouldn't be punished.