THIS is the problem with gen speeds and early game.

Reinami
Reinami Member Posts: 5,438
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

Early game doesn't exist and we have another great example of this that can't be refuted by "but they played badly" or "the killer's perks suck"

Take a look at this recent video from true:

Movement control in the match starts at about 5 seconds, so every timestamp is 5 seconds higher than the actual time in the game.

The match starts and he immediately runs to the other side of the map where the survivors likely are.

At 26 seconds in the video, he hears a gen being worked on

At 28 seconds, he spots the scratch marks

At 30 seconds he spots the survivor.

At 34 seconds, he makes a bad read, but the survivor plays badly and throws the pallet anyway.

At 37 seconds, he breaks the pallet, while the survivor runs to the harvester.

At 50 seconds, he does harvester tech, and lands a hit. The survivor holds w.

At 1 minute, 10 seconds, he catches up to the survivor and starts a chase.

At 1 minute, 15 seconds, he successfully mindgames the survivor and tries to bait the dead hard, but it doesn't come

At 1 minute, 18 seconds, he downs the survivor.

At 1 minute, 22 seconds, he picks up the survivor.

At 1 minute, 28 seconds, 1 gen pops.

At 1 minute, 32 seconds, he hooks the survivor, he runs over to the nearby gen that was completed and another in the field.

At 1 minute, 39 seconds, a second gen pops.

At 1 minute, 43 seconds, a third gen pops.

This goes with the thing i have been saying for months now about this game's problem with early game. The math doesn't add up.

21 seconds to find the first survivor and start a chase

24 seconds to land the first hit after making a 1 bad read and breaking a pallet.

20 seconds to catch up to the survivor to start a second chase.

8 seconds on a successful read to down the survivor.

4 seconds for attack cooldown and to pickup survivor.

10 seconds to hook a survivor.

21 + 24 + 20 + 8 + 4 + 10 = 87 seconds. Enough time for 3 gens if all the survivors hopped on a gen as soon as the match started.

This was not played badly. True played very well.

He found the first survivor almost as early as he possibly could have at the second gen he checked.

He made one bad read for the first chase that only added a few seconds since the survivor threw the pallet anyway (if the survivor played well they could have easily extended the chase an extra 15-20 seconds before using the pallet).

He made one great read for the second on that made the chase end in a couple of seconds.

At this point, the game goes downhill from here. True holds his own because he has like 5k hours in this game so of course he is going to do well, but most of the survivors end up escaping regardless.

EDIT: 07/27/2020

True posted a new video where he plays a game. (yes he gets a 4k, again that isn't the point, besides one of the survivors just immediately gave up anyway). He analyzes the gameplay and talks about the time it takes to do these things and is exactly right about how long it takes to do things.

Post edited by Reinami on

Comments

• Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149

Yet your math doesn't make sense. So it takes 87 seconds for 3 survivors to finish 3 gens despite the fact he wasted 20 seconds to catch up to someone running in the open? In those 15 seconds he could've found another survivor and denied a generator from being repaired.

• Khakuate
    Khakuate Member Posts: 287

Gens are a problem yes, but if we want to fix gens we should fix camping and tunneling too.

Btw you could take a better example, tru3 did a really big mistake at early game (typical of him) and then wonders why gen pop like crazy

• Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149

Ah yes, waste your time chasing the survivor that got distance instead of patrolling.

• Khakuate

######### dude you were complaining about billy and now you think billy is the only killer able to do a comeback on this situation?

Why the change of heart? did you got called survivor main and want to change your reputation here? 😂

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

This was a case of “killer was kind of screwed in this situation”.

Sometimes the killer just makes a really bad play and they dont deserve to come back. but Billy always can, and he has that insane snowball potential from the beginning of the game.

Basically I feel this is more of an issue with this map and I would guess likely swf. Solos dont separate on gens like that.

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088

Bro, Billy and Nurse are dead and no one will use them anymore. So they don't count anymore

• ClickyClicky

Nurse.....is awkward but theres no denying that someone with a lot of hours on Nurse could come back. So long as they dont have corn blindness.

• Khakuate

kinda, but billy got nerfed too much, spirit or freddy really need a look at.

Probably this is a map problem, a good solo team will be able to do this

• ClickyClicky

Maybe it’s just me but I always saw Billy as a bigger problem than Spirit.

Freddy aint that bad hes just dull and needs a few tweaks.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

corn map alway been a problem these weren't solo.

• Khakuate

nah my dude, they both are linked to each other, if you fix or increase gen speed you're basically buffing camping and tunneling.

What about you accept facts

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720

This is pretty common unless you have corrupt intervention. But even then, depending on the map and RNG it might only buy you another 30~ seconds or so before all 4 survivors find a gen; which is why I have mostly stopped using it.

Assuming the survviors are good, you can spend 20-30 seconds finding someone, 30 seconds getting them down, and then by the time you hook them the first gen pops and the second one pops shortly after.

I pretty much respond to a genrush like that by tunneling and camping the heck out of everyone who goes on hook, and have mostly given up slowdown perks on the weaker killers for one's that let me focus people down faster.

How much do you think pop goes would do in a situation like that? Almost nothing. I'd much prefer something like endfury to eat a DS and then kill the guy off as fast as possible to make it a 3v1.

When the game is on track to be over in 4-5 minutes I don't think anyone should complain about the killer playing like that. There's only a handful of killers you can play that can handle current gen speeds without having to resort to playing like a total scumbag if the survivors are not afraid to do gens.

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088

I guess with the new mm, devs will be able to know more easily what is the balance problem.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

Yeah, the problem has never been survivors doing the same gen together, it's when they split up that it's a problem.

• GeordieKiller
    GeordieKiller Member Posts: 409

We really need this early game "collaspe" that the dev mentioned asap as it is getting frustrating that one chase can cost you 2 to 3 gens and puts you right on the backfoot even if it was a short chase.

• Sinister0208
    Sinister0208 Member Posts: 253

Its interesting that one of the survivors (highest points) at the in the post game chat says 'this game is so busted'.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    edited July 2020

This just shows how strong survivors are when they're seperated. Literally you cannot apply pressure to them in this scenerio. That's why survivors are mostly spawning together in the trial, at least they can do 2 gens in 80 seconds than 3.

I'm kinda surprised that SWF are not using shroud of seperation. In this state, it would be meta.

• ClickyClicky

Otzdarva made a good point. A number of "gen rush" videos take place on this map. It is commonly the safest map whenever the stats are posted. It's like the opposite of Hawkins.

• Khakuate

I try to do that with my swf buds, but damn it is really hard to be extremely coordinated

• Ihatelife

It is hard, but it's propably the best way to win the game though.

• Khakuate

Yeah I agree, I think they could fix this by making maps more smaller BUT they should nerf a bit high mobility killer

• Ihatelife

Maybe the new coming feature that is similar with EGC will help in this. I personally don't think that maps are the problem, it would be good if on some maps the gens could be spawned closer together or maybe an early game objectives different than gens, idk.

• Khakuate
  • Valor188917
    Valor188917 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2020

He played like #########, where is this a good example? Watch Scottjund destroy ppl with m1 speedlimiter bubba if you want to watch somebody play near perfect, true is garbage considering the hours he puts into this game, it feels like he's burned out and bored of dbd but it's basically his job to play it.

Heck go look at dowsey who keeps statistics of his games.

• PassarinoT
    PassarinoT Member Posts: 910

This is exactly one of the main issues with DBD rn. The objective requires little to no boldness and is too fast to complete. I tried to make a rework concept to remedy this, but didn't get much traction.

• Onyx_Blue
    Onyx_Blue Member Posts: 1,060

Yet again, another post showcasing that people have no clue what pressure is. You have literally spelled out the massive issue all you boosted players have as killer: you hard commit to the first survivor you find. When really, he should be hitting them, seeing that they're just holding W and should switch focus back to the gen areas he knows people are in.

You cannot complain that early game and gen speed are too unfair for killers when you're using examples of, and most likely doing so yourself, bad gameplay - ie wasting your time trackig a survivor across the map. Ever heard of gen pressure, love? It isn't a myth nor a meme people sheep that it is, it's something good players execute and exhibit frequently and consistently in their killer matches.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

The devs will have a lot of explaining to do if they add a hardship at the beginning of a match when the average killrate is already well over 60%. This means they are abandoning their 50% killrate goal and balancing heavily towards killers. The endgame is already killer sided so the beginning shouldn't be changed, especially when the killrates are so high.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I'm hoping the devs are working on this early game phase they were talking about. I'm hoping it at least helps killers in the early game.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    edited July 2020

So are ppl arguing that one mistake from a killer resulting in a three gen pop is ok?

I didn’t really read all this.