How I would change the hatch

White_Owl
White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
edited September 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions

In the last QaA there have been talks about the end game and especially the hatch and it made me think a bit about it.
Imo the main problem with the hatch currently is that escaping through it is a really fast action and can be started anytime, in any condition. This is what makes the killer powerless when trying to avoid that the last survivor escape, because unless he can down them a couple meters away, the survivor will be able to get the hatch.
So I think the solution could be simple yet effective:
The hatch doesn't open by itself when one survivor is remaining. Instead, it will emit sound and a black fog through its borders to indicate escape is possible, and the survivor needs to interact with it to manually to open it. The interaction should be about the same of that of disarming a beartrap (so 2.5-3 seconds). As with beartraps, interrupting the action would resets the progress.
This would make survivors not want to approach the hatch while the killer is near because they would very easily get interrupted, but they would still have a chance to escape if they manage to gain enough distance, promoting an active gameplay instead of waiting for who gets bored first.

Another part of the end game that could be improved is that situation where the last survivor doesn't find the hatch and so crouches around doing nothing. In that situation the killer can only pray the Entity or use Whispers to find him, while the survivor can chill knowing he has all the time in the world to find the hatch. It should be the opposite: the survivor should hope for the best and the killer should feel like he has the upperhand.
A possible solution could be that when there is only one survivor alive, the Entity grows impatient and starts to incite the killer: practically this means that when only one survivor is alive, the killer will hear the Entity's voice exactly as with the perk Whispers, but it will start with a very huge radius that will shrink gradually over time. This would put pressure on the survivor to find the hatch asap, or the risk of being found and killed increases as time time passes, and the killer wouldn't end up wandering randomly around the map or camping the hatch not knowing what to do.

Comments

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Would the survivor immediately enter upon opening the hatch, or would they get the prompt to enter afterwards?
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

The hatch isnt the only problem.
    Survivors can hold the game hostage too and the new mechanic prevents that

• White_Owl

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Would the survivor immediately enter upon opening the hatch, or would they get the prompt to enter afterwards?

On that I'm not sure, but I don't think it would change much.

• Chroma
    Chroma Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2018

i agree i've had so many games where i sit on the hatch waiting for them to jump in so i can grab them you literally can't do anything if they just hug close to you on the hatch. if they go away and do all the generators i can just bitter murmur NOeD them and win, but if they just sit there rip 10 minutes of my time.

• xxaggieboyxx
    xxaggieboyxx Member Posts: 498
    The way to prevent taking Hiding is shown in identity v. Just put crows over their head when gates are powered or hatch is open after a few mins of no sprinting 
  • Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    The way to prevent taking Hiding is shown in identity v. Just put crows over their head when gates are powered or hatch is open after a few mins of no sprinting 
    Then they just do what they normally do to avoid crows in this game crouch around the map
  • White_Owl

@xxaggieboyxx said:

But then they could just run a bit when they know they are safe to avoid the crows.