MMR: Otzdarva and rank 15 survivors

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2020 in General Discussions
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

What I find ironic is Scott Jund and some other high rank streamers were complaining prior to the matchmaking going live that it would mean that if you were "top 1%" or whatever you would only be facing super sweaty survivors all the time and be paired against only top killers like Spirit and Freddy and top Nurses.

Instead I'm pretty sure what the system does is look at something like the average of the survivor's ratings to assign a rating for their team and pair that up with a killer of similar rating. So a low-to-mid-rated killer might go against a high rated survivor plus three low rated survivors, for instance. If I'm right about that then you could easily have someone like Otz teamed up with a bunch of low rated survivors going against a mid-rated killer; basically the newer players are "Otz's matchmaking handicap" in a sense.

And that's fine, assuming the matches they get overall are still reasonable and the queue times are short.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I don't get this problem as R1 killer when I get a game (waiting time is insane)..but as R1 survivor I go up against Rank 19-20 killers all the time lol

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

Do you actually not know how to read? MMR matches you against players of all skill levels before settling your numbers.

Read that five or six times before replying again in all caps. New players will be ranked the same way everyone else is: By testing their skills against players of varying skill levels. That is how MMR establishes a baseline rating.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

Ok

• Spirez
    Spirez Member Posts: 674

I main deathslinger at rank 1 and I’ve have been going against nothing but try hards where every survivor has either a tool box with BNP or flashlight. All meta perks and some of them being SWF. To me this matchmaking is working flawlessly. However I have to sweat every game to win which is not fun. I can only improve by going against these teams with strategic play so I’m okay with going against this every game. Before matchmaking took 2-5 seconds as a killer now it takes about 2-5 mins.

I was hoping to get rank 20s in my games so I could mess around with deathslinger but getting really long distance shots or falling off ledge shots just for fun and let them all go in the end but it’s been the complete opposite.

• Xbob42

"This is how MMR works."

"REEEEEE NO IT SHOULDN'T WORK LIKE THAT"

Well, that's how it works. On every game. Ever. That is how it's intended to work. The entire goddamn POINT is to put people of differing skill levels together and see how they do. If you don't like it, that's rough, but that's how it works. It will settle. Take your xanax and take a nap.

• Xbob42

See, you already don't understand. The "highest rank" hasn't been established yet. This is the establishing phase of MMR. His hours and his old rank mean nothing to the current system. This is basically a reset. Yes, I'm sure that since the MMR system was running in the background that he's got a pretty decent MMR already, but as there are so many players and we're on day 2 of MMR matchmaking, there's going to be a lot of incidents like this for a few days. It's normal, and expected.

You have to pair people with more than just the default rating in the establishing phase, and, I know people don't like to think very far through this, but those "new" players could've just won 8 games in a row against other "new" players because everyone they went up against was more of a potato than them. So then the MMR will toss you against bigger and bigger fish until you get beat, then it'll go lower again.

You guys see a single game results screen from one player and assume you know the story of all 5 people.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2020
  • SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
  • BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

It's pretty odd. Usually, i get maybe green / yellow / brown rank survivors in every 50 games or so, but now it happened 3 games in a row, where 2 or 3 ppl where in those ranks. I absolutly destroyed them, some suicided on hook or disconnected. I hope that will change. I don't want swat-like swf, but not overly unexperienced players as well.

• Chett
    Chett Member Posts: 23

Coco, did u already played 10 Hag Games ? does the System work for you ?

• SpaceCoconut

I've done exactly 10 matches, so tonight I'll be playing more hag to see how it goes from there...

I'm recording all the matches and I'm definitely making a video about the results.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

I look forward to seeing it. Because for the life of me I would love to understand how in the hell they got an MMR system to function properly in a game like DbD. Especially when they couldn't get a simpler ranking system to work properly in four years.

As it stands, I'm on a break for the next month until I see how this all shakes out for regular players. At this point, I don't even want to login and waste my time if this falls on its face. The Overwatch summer event launches today, I'm going to chill over there for the next three weeks.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Where did the pros start when these games just launched?

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

I have played mutiple survivor matches with and without friends and im still getting potatoes. Im rank 1 on xbox one.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
  • AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723
    edited August 2020

He needs to play the same killer and dominate multiple times to get enough points for a higher game. Switching killers, letting survivors have hatch or survivors living affects your MMR. Win every match with the same killer and you'll see him get harder opponents.

Update: Ortz just had a Trapper game with 3 level 2's and a Rank 3 who all probably depipped and went down a Rank. It fluctuates until the points are settled.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2020
  • SpaceCoconut

I'm not defending, I'm trying to get all the facts.

Try again.

• luvcraft
    luvcraft Member Posts: 1,233
    edited August 2020

this is really sad to watch. I don't know how many hours its been, but he is STILL getting 3/4 rank 20 survivors.

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2020
  • Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

This is why we say rank doesnt matter. Because it isnt the "true skill" level. It's more consistency and time played. Not skill. Its why rank 10s beat rank 1s.

So if the mmr works, it will match accordingly, because rank doesnt matter.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

I understand that it could take some time for the MMR to adjust so you could somewhat "justify" going against green ranks and maybe even these rank 13 and 14 survivors but can't you make it so the system prevents red ranks, purple ranks, hell probably even green ranks from playing against literally new players? I just killed 2 babies with like 10 hours into the game and I'm certain I'm going to hell for this.

• AVoiceOfReason
    edited August 2020

I don't know where you're getting your vids from but his last video was today.

This was literally today. MMR is working.

Edit: Removed the files and figured out how to upload the pics xD

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2020
  • Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

I don't know why Otz is getting these kinds of matches, but I am certainly getting the appropriate matchups. When the batches are unbalanced, it can lead to unbalanced matches, especially on the higher and lower ends of the MMR, but that is expected. If they didn't use a batch system, which selects say the first 100 killers in the queue, and the first 400 survivors in the queue, and then matches them as best they can, then we'd be waiting 10, 20, 45 minutes for matches.

After about 5 or 6 matches, the system seemed to be pretty much dialed in, with the exception of the outliers (see above). Even the outliers weren't that bad. I no longer get killers that literally camp everyone on hook until they're dead, and I no longer see survivors that are so scared that they hide the entire match. Watching a survivor inch to you so slowly that you die on the hook before they get to you, is beyond frustrating. And YES, this is exactly how red ranks were before the MMR system. It's nice playing with survivors who actually do totems as well.

I'll be killing this weekend, so we'll see how that goes, but I don't expect anything different. For those who are curious, I play on the PS4 (only play PC for the PTB), US-West region, and this is the first time in an EXTREMELY long time that I can say that they actually did something right. When was the last time that they did something right? When they reworked Hag. That's a LONG dry spell.

• AVoiceOfReason
    edited August 2020

I know from your screenshots that he's switching killers instead of playing the same one to get his actual MMR rank to settle :) I provided proof and I was not condescending :) This was his newest video. Stop spreading a false narrative. If you don't understand how an MMR works, don't talk about it then. Switching killers over and over again will keep giving him new players. Until you've done a certain amount with the same killer, you won't have an accurate MMR.

Edit: Spelling mistake.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

At mid ranks and worked their way up. As it should be. Not this nonsense we have in DBD.

• AVoiceOfReason

Claiming something as FACT when the person is switching to different killers and getting low lobbies KNOWING that it requires multiple matches with the same KILLER to get an accurate score for that specific KILLER then saying MMR is not working is FALSE. You showed that he switches killer a lot. It's already known that it requires multiple games with the same killer and each KILLER will have it's own MMR.

It was known for awhile now. That's why your proof isn't proof. It just shows that he's playing different killers without giving MMR a chance to work like intended.

• AVoiceOfReason

Using a picture to valid your argument that MMR is not working is what you call proof. Your argument was that MMR isn't working. Here's pics of Ortz to prove that it's not. MMR is working as intended. It's simple as that. It doesn't matter that a streamer who plays 3 hours a day isn't playing enough or using the same character enough to get a valid MMR.

• AVoiceOfReason

Yet you keep going on about MMR :) It seems you've edited a few post also since we've talked. Around the time I started to add my proof, your comments are edited now. I guess if we can't see the initial comment, we can easily say something else, I suppose. Ortz doesn't seem to be that good. Honestly, basing something on a single individual is a waste of time. I guess if he's STILL getting Rank 20's and MMR is working, he's not a real Rank 1. Just plays a lot. Take care and don't edit posts to make someone look bad.