BHVR, can we acknowledge fps on console is AWFUL since 4.1.0?

Options
Nobsyde
Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

(for the original post look below)

UPDATE #2 (SEPTEMBER 1)

@MandyTalk posted this reply:

"If you don't keep this thread on topic, it will be closed.

When we have information we will post it."

So here's asking to all the new comers: please, don't spam and remain in-topic as much as possible. The new patch is almost here and it would be a shame to not have this topic ready to discuss if and what changed. Thank you guys!

UPDATE #1 (August 28)

Q: did BHVR acknowledge the consoles problem?

A: NO. The only thing that BHVR did in this topic was to say, and I quote from @PatBrutal, "Just so you know, we've shared the thread with the team and they're going to take a look at it."

The reply from Pat was on August 13th, and since then we haven't received any update on the matter. We currently don't know:

• if the Dev Team actually did read the post
  • if they understand there is a frame rate problem
  • if they are willing to work on the problem
  • if they are able to work on the problem
  • if the problem has any priority over other work
  • if yes at all of the above: when the issues are expected to be resolved

Aside for the (non existent) public communications here on the forum, today there has been a tweet from the DbD official account that states as follow:

notice the post is not talking about any improvement over the current fps on console, just that they apparently acknowledge console need special care for the graphical update.

if BHVR should ever decide to give any new public statement on the matter, it will be posted as a new update.

-----------------

ORIGINAL POST (august 5)

There are plenty of feedback on the optimization sub board but I don't see any reply from BHVR, so, once again:

are you aware that fps on console (PS4, at least) degraded A LOT since 4.1.0 when playing as killer?

Here, I'll post you a video from today on Hawkins, it's basically a slide show every time a survivor is on screen.

(if it doesn't open: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489)

as a comparison, here's the same map (different killer, but trust me, it's not the Oni the problem), but from one month ago

(again: direct link is https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944)

The frame rate obviously is still far from optimal, but it's a great deal better than how it is now.

Can you, @Peanits , @Almo or whoever else at least say "yes, we know, expect a fix soon / buy a pc you filthy console peasant"?

EDIT: bonus video - Hillbilly on a very open (and not very elaborate, polygonally speaking?) map.

The framerate is certainly better than on Hawkins, but as you can see every time there's a chase, maybe at T-L walls, everything goes south.

Post edited by Nobsyde on

Comments

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

Lerys is basically unplayable as killer right now. Kept missing shred attacks due to how poor the framerate was.

I personally haven't really had any issues with demo outside of lerys and hawkins.

• Nobsyde
    Options

I only played Demo once since the patch so I can't really confirm or deny if the fps is "much worse" - but I mean, the game I linked here is so, so awful that everything below that would be what? a static image for 10 minutes?

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited August 2020
    Options

All the indoor maps suck now on PS4. I get 5-10 FPS at max on them by just trying to play as Killer. I’m beginning to wonder if the devs are slowly beginning to just not care about console optimization, especially because they haven’t even acknowledged it. It was really disappointing to see nothing about it in the patch notes.

I tried asking about it on Twitter and almost immediately I was bombarded with “uPgRaDe yOuR pC!!!” replies, as if consoles didn’t even exist. It looks like this just going to be swept under the “bad optimization” rug and fixed in a couple years (I hope not though, considering how severe these issues are now). Hopefully the PS5 will be able to fix these problems and PS/PC cross-progression is implemented (in case the game is still poorly optimized on PS5).

• Sylorknag
    Sylorknag Member Posts: 760
    Options

Some Genius in the codding team can't figure it out how to make he's portals prompts work without lagging the sht out of the game .

• Sylorknag
    edited August 2020
    Options

Has anyone tested indoor maps after yesterday 4.1.1 fix?

I only got farm maps.

I was playing PIG, and it seemed fine, albeit not as a smooth as previous 4.1

Oh, the video is post 4.1.1 fix

Damn, they haven't fixed the frame rates.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Something that disappoints me big time is the fact there was one update that made the game run smooth as hell almost like on PC a year or two ago but it only lasted temporarily for 1 single patch and I can't remember which patch it was. I think @DudeDelicious remembers the patch as well. I wish I knew which patch it was so I could look up clips and compare with the current version.

• Nobsyde
    Options

the fact is that I'm not asking for optimisation, sure I'd like it, sure I think we deserve it (I mean, PS4 can run Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider Man, Detroit Become Human, Uncharted 4 extremely smoothly, but whatever) but we're beyond that.

There was no esthetical update from 4.0.0 to 4.1.0, what changed is obviously behind the scenes, may it be Engine updates, may it be particle system, the aura system, whatever.

But still, if this leads to a plummet in performance as it is, there's no legit reason to not revert whatever has changed, aside for a big frick you to every console player.

• yakul1nausicaa
    yakul1nausicaa Member Posts: 128
    Options

Yes, it's awful particularly on indoor maps. I have to avoid several cosmetics just to avoid single digit fps as well.

• Nobsyde
    Options

every 360 of a survivor is basically tossing a coin and guess where they are going right now

• Sylorknag
    Options

Keeping it alive boys

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,044
    Options

It's also awful for pyramid head frame-wise too, makes his ranged attack exceedingly difficult to hit. Indoor maps are essentially screwed and whenever you get close to a survivor your frames horribly drop, making it very easy to be juked. How does it get worse, seemingly, every patch?

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854
    Options
  • Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Lerys is so bad right now. I was even having terrible frames as survivor. Another one dc'd after about 20 seconds and it was unplayable for the killer too so we just farmed. Think we need a road to 5 FPS

• Nobsyde
    Options

yes, I absolutely feel you. I get so scared of bloodlust activating while I'm going for a hit, it will be a 100% miss :(

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Xbox reacts pretty much the same to PS4 in this regard. Lerys in particular is bad for me. : P

• JohnNorwich19623
    JohnNorwich19623 Member Posts: 83
    Options

Exactly, I have been experiencing more laggy matches with spirit and Demo when I play them. I hope they fix it.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919
    Options

Yeah it’s been extremely terrible (especially on Lerys and Ormond). It almost makes the game unplayable because I struggle to get a stable 15 FPS even on PS4 pro.

• NoObzBoiYT
    NoObzBoiYT Member Posts: 198
    Options

Y’all talking about ps4, HAVE YOU PLAYED ON SWITCH!

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited August 2020
    Options

No, and I’m terrified of doing so.

I feel your pain. Like I said earlier on, I tried tweeting about it and almost immediately I received replies about how people weren’t having this issue and I need a better PC (as if consoles didn’t even exist).

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Players have been asking for console optimization for years and nothing happened. The devs have been aware of at least some problems for ages - for example, they acknowledged in a stream that frame drops occur when a new status gets applied (like Mangled). By now, the problems are even more severe.

No improvements in all this time. They made a sub-forum for optimization reports half a year ago, but did anything happen?

• Sinister0208
    Sinister0208 Member Posts: 253
    Options

Maybe the Minotaur skin for Oni comes with higher FPS.

• Nobsyde
    Options

But console performance got better, for a little while!

Let’s not rewrite history here: as bad as framerate was, it still was better than how it was before. The problem is that now everything plummeted, and this is probably the worst iteration of dbd, performance wise,

• FabsRinas
    FabsRinas Member Posts: 169
    Options

That means they can fix the frame rate, but they literally choose not to, they don't even give us the satisfaction of a single word, like "we know this exists, someday we might work on it" or whatever

BHVR is worse than valve at communicating, and that's saying something

• claudetterealness
    claudetterealness Member Posts: 92
    Options

I felt this

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793
    Options

The least they can do is acknowledge it and tell us they will let the team know, but no responses so we're left dead in the water.

• Nobsyde
    Options

Yes, I do agree that they need to give us an answer (and possibly an explanation as well, but I guess that would be asking too much).

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Performance got a little better for a very short time. That was when the dedicated servers got activated and had nothing to do with the game getting optimized.

(When dedicated servers are doing calculations instead of your own console, then this gives your console more room to do other calculations, which leads to a better performance.)

• FambinoBambino_
    FambinoBambino_ Member Posts: 135
    Options

#BloodlustKills

Another PS4 player here waiting to see a response :)

This discussion has been closed.