I installed the game 4 days ago, ######### MATCHMAKING???!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

No it wasn't balanced. Were you there? No, you were not, so you have no clue how the match went at all.

Doctor is one of the easiest killers to get bloodpoints with, also the match was lengthy because he slugged a lot in a 3 gen situation.

MMR is supposed to get better after matches, not after "a few days".

It's clearly not working, at all.

• Marigoria
    Options

Also for the people saying rank doesn't matter... if it didn't matter, why was everyone complaining about bad matchmaking before? That's why we got MMR in the first place.

And believe it or not, time played does increase your skill.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793
    Options

Why are you allowed to make assumptions about the killer's skill based on perks but nobody else can make assumptions about skill based on ranks (playtime this month)?

Surely someone who has played a minimum of a couple dozen hours this month will have some level of experience and someone who hasn't played DBD at all in the past 30 days must be new or at least rusty.

Besides, new players should absolutely have protection for their first 10 games or so; unless they read through the forums or research the game beforehand new players will assume there is no MMR and that unfun slaughterfests are the default, which they are.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

"Were you there? No, you were not, so you have no clue how the match went at all."

That is literally my point. The forum is overflowing right now with screenshots just like this that don't say anything about how the match went, how good the players were, etc. We have no clue what the skill ratings of the people in the lobby are.

If you let Doctor 3-gen you and lost after a long struggle, that's not an unbalanced match. That's the survivors losing a winnable match because they messed up their gen spacing. It happens to the best of us, but it is what it is.

MMR needs everyone to have history to be able to effectively match them. Let's take a hypothetical where I'm the only person who has any match history. My skill is 500 and everyone else has 100. When I go to queue up, the game probably isn't going to wait 3 days until a few people at my level join the lobby. It's going to put me into a lobby with other people at rank 100 and it's going to see how they do. If they beat up on me, their skill will go up by a lot and mine will go down by a lot. If I beat up on them no one's rank will change much (since I was expected to win, with my higher skill) and they'll go onto their next game.

This is probably exactly what's happening right now, just less extreme. If many people queuing up have very little match history, it makes sense that the game would sometimes drop them into matches with people who do have history just to see how they'll do rather than letting queue times get out of control for the people who have been playing.

TL;DR Wait until the ranks have time to settle down before complaining on the forums.

• Marigoria
    Options

My team mates were rank 20, I am rank 3 devotion 20. You can NOT compare us at all.

Everyone who just started the game wont be good at the game because they don't know workarounds.

Also in case you haven't read the title and thread, I have now over 70 matches after the new MMR, and is in fact still not working. It's looking the same it did when I had only 1 match.

TL;DR don't like a thread don't comment on it.

• notstarboard
    Options

My point is exactly that we know nothing about the game. I say that explicitly in my comment. There are endless posts right now with screenshots showing mismatched ranks and whining about MMR, and I'm tired of them. So, I'm playing Devil's Advocate by throwing out one plausible situation that would have resulted in this screenshot without MMR being broken.

Read my reply to Marigoria above this for why we shouldn't be judging the MMR system yet. It's not necessarily enough for OP to have played a lot if most other people haven't. We have no idea how the algorithm works. All we know is that if they evaluate skill well the games will get better over time. It has been 3 days.

I'm fine with new players getting protection, but any new people who join after the MMR system is stable will have built in protection already. If you think about it that way it's not as critical of a problem to solve.

• notstarboard
    Options

You clearly ignored my response where I suggested a plausible reason why they were matched with you, and why it doesn't just matter how many games you have played when most everyone else has little MMR history. Let's say you're good and have played 70+ matches. That means your MMR is probably high, and way higher than almost everyone else playing right now. Would you prefer a 30 minute queue time or horrendous latency to find other players of your skill, or would you prefer getting matched with some randos for the time being until their MMR is settled too?

It's not constructive to just yell back at me without responding to my points. If you don't want to think about this logically, that's fine, but I won't waste any more time.

• Marigoria
    Options

If you're tired of them close your computer and go outside or something. No one is forcing you to look at them.

Your situation isn't plausible as it has been shown in multiple discussions now.

I am judging the MMR system now because a dev did say they have been gathering data for months and that after a couple matches the system should be working. It is not.

I'm pretty sure a lot of other people have played enough matches, so I should be teaming up with those who did and have a similar score, not players who just started today. That compromises the system results and isn't smart at all.

• notstarboard
    Options

Pardon me for trying to reduce the nonstop hate and toxicity coming out of this community with a little bit of common sense.

• kosmi
    kosmi Member Posts: 363
    Options

Well for me it works perfect! I get a lot of more purple rank players with full prestige 3 and full perks. A lot more derankers from last system getting into my matches which is good.

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756
    Options

Oh you mean like 90% of matches anyways? Every single lobby is filled with minimum 2 SWF.

• rogueplayer00
    rogueplayer00 Member Posts: 110
    Options

Its trying to on purpose do this to your teams. It wants to give an average mmr to work on you. So if two people are at 500 and 2 are at 100 and the killer is at 300, thats a "balanced game" in regards to MMR. Its working as intended and people need to stop complaining and just practice and get better.

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415
    Options

This is exactly what i think is happening. When i cue up with a swf team we've been getting decent killers.

If i go into solo cue its almost always a 2v2 or a 3v1 with me usually being the most experienced player on my team.

95% of my games go me starting the first gen and just watching my potatoes go down one after the other and by the time the gen is finished im the only one left not hooked or slugged.

Or

I get caught first and run the killer for 3 minutes then get caught, meanwhile no gens have popped and my team mates are just hiding or maybe just like 25% done with a gen, because they hop off of it every 5 seconds because they hear the heartbeat.

Then i die first hook and next game.

This is every game as a solo cue! Sucks

• rogueplayer00
    Options

Thats how mmr works in literallt every other game. In cod, in competitive strategy games, all of them. If your whole team has an MMR of 500, but one of your mates is 100, it goes the other way too. The reason its not efficient for dead by daylight is because its 1v4 not 4v4. The power role needs to be as good as ALL of the survivors playing against them, and that would be unfair if they kept it to that, not to mention matchmaking pain. So letting in a random sitting duck rank 17 thats been in queue for 5 minutes to a team of purples and reds to verse a killer thats a purple makes sense.

• rogueplayer00
    Options

I Understand that thats not how balance works, but thats what THE SYSTEM IS DOING. IM NOT SAYING I THINK TBIS IS WHAT ITS DOING, IT IS WHAT IS DOING. Im not trying to trigger anyone im trying to explain why these games are happening to people who are angry. Guess I'll just shut up and let people be angry then

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375
    Options

So I guess the part where you said "people need to stop complaining and instead learn to play" was sarcastic? I apologize in that case. You can't get better at the game when you constantly play a 2v1 in a game that's supposed to be a 4v1 with players of equal skill.

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652
    Options

I'm still getting level 1 Killers. Survivoirs may be boosted but not Killers. Where have all these level 1 killers come from??? Why do they want me so bad???😭

• 53nation
    53nation Member Posts: 681
    Options

Red ranks going against rank 20's is just cruel.

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570
    Options

I might be out of the loop, or an idiot but... I was under the assumption the MMR system needed time to adjust to everyones individual skill level. So...they said 10 games yeah?

To me, that means (as killer) 10 games with one specific killer will be necessary before the system knows where to put you.

AND

To me, that means (as survivor) 10 games ‘against’ one specific killer will be necessary before the system knows where to put you.

If that’s even close to how it is, then with up to 20 killers, you need 200 games to get the MMR system settled with all killers and survivors. Not sure why people expect everything to be settled and perfect so soon. This might be a month or two endeavor.

• sekkima
    sekkima Member Posts: 194
    Options

ez killer adept 👀

• thisgameblowsmajord
    thisgameblowsmajord Member Posts: 61
    Options

yeh mmr is ######### now. i've played the required amount of games and its still crap XD

• Zenn
    Zenn Member Posts: 49
    Options

Whatever matchmaking changes you implemented... they are not fun. At all. I've been playing against a constant stream of rank 1, 2, 3 survivors, as a rank 10 killer.... all night. It is not fun. I don't play this game religiously. I play for fun. I can't catch survivors who have 5000 hours in the game, know every ######### loop, and play perfectly. You need to seriously re-evaluate. You are going to lose a lot of players because it's just not fun playing the top players in the world every game.

• Exhenn
    Exhenn Member Posts: 2
    Options

You do know that the matchmaking system is to help you practice with different killers right? Just switch it up a bit and play a different killer

• lazerlight
    lazerlight Member Posts: 353
    Options

This makes no sense. They'll still be getting matched with red ranked survivors... even with killers they dont use often. That's what they are trying to say. The flaw that the new mmr system has, is that it is not working as intended. Blaming the players for having a bad experience is wrong. The culprit here is the mmr system, not the people getting paired with unfair skill levels. "Switching it up" is supposed to pair them up with lower skilled survivors, which isnt happening. That's what OP is referring to.

• BrokenByDaylight
    BrokenByDaylight Member Posts: 8
    Options

Now, I've been playing this game on console since the time Clown and Kate came out.

Recently I decided to finally buy the game for PC and give it a shot.

But every single match has been like the photo below.

Even as a rank 19 killer I go up against nothing but rank 6+ teams, which is fine considering I'm a rank 7 killer main on console, so I've whooped on them.

But what if I wasn't? Throwing new players into a match against seasoned players like this is just downright idiotic.

Controlling survivors on keyboard and mouse is hard enough to get accustomed to for people changing over from console like myself, but imagine completely new people just learning the game versus top rank killers. This is absolutely absurd and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose more of their player base due to crap like this. They certainly don't seem to care for new players as it is.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327
    Options

I've been getting matched to the exact same, but as Survivor. All new players at around Rank 18-20 while I sit at Rank 2. Every unhook results in the survivor running to a corner and self-caring, or hiding while I'm on hook. The game is now unplayable because of the players themselves, not the bugs for a change. It's annoying and really making me want to quit the game for good. I'm not amazing by any means, but my skill is far more than a new player for sure, and having to die over and over becase of said players, well my MMR, if it even exists at this point, is going to drop because I got matched to players who don't understand the game.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

Just had a match against 3 rank 20s despite me being a rank one lol. they should block people under rank 15 from the MMR.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

BHVR must think its OK, otherwise it'd not be this bad.

• Hyorky
    Hyorky Member Posts: 3
    Options

Yeah but no, this new system is not working, played plague for the first time a couple hours ago and I ended against Rank 2/6/8/12. I only hooked the rank 12 and he just kill himself on the hook 20s later. Didnt hit anyone after until the gate was open and they were waiting for me

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,732
    Options

Have you read the patchnotes? Rank is not used for matching players, Skill rating are.

Congratulations on being matched with high rank players. You must be a natural.

• mrgr4vity
    mrgr4vity Member Posts: 3
    Options

well that is wrong. im trying new killer and i want to learn. i have no perkz and suddenly facing rank 1 and 2 :)

i played many online free games. free games are so good in matchmaking because they do not make a game that player hate his life matching against players above 1k hour of game.

• Emeal
    Options

Dont worry about it, you will get better in time. Observe, Adapt, Improve, Conquer.

It takes like 1 game to get enough blood to get perks on a character.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited August 2020
    Options

Yeah, the new matchmaking is utter garbage and the devs seem to be scared of admitting that. I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to quit the game. The new player experience is horrible (the massive grind and terrible matchmaking are the worst offenders) and many others feel the same.

Also if you’re on console I’d just try to switch to PC, this game has been very poorly optimized for years.

• Emeal
    Options

No thanks, I like the new matchmaking system. Im getting evenly skilled players vs me.

But I also play a lot, so i'm probably better matched. How much have you played?

• Spirit12B4
    Spirit12B4 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I don't know if it's just me, but as a solo queue survivor I've lately had the easiest matches of my life. I keep getting killers who I absolutely demolish from rank 12-20 killers as a rank 1. So I would say the system is completely broken, but hey at least I don't have to sweat to complete challenges and earn bloodpoints. ;)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    edited August 2020
    Options

We're not told how it's calculated, we're not allowed to see what it is, we're not shown MMR results after the match, and there are dozens upon dozens of people reporting little to no change in matchmaking well after the supposed 10 game threshold. This would be called an obvious scam if it was any other product. The QA specifically mentioned there were protections for new players when that's a blatant, obvious, lie. Intentional or not, it's simply not true.

• Madahala_
    Madahala_ Member Posts: 10
    Options

gonna take back what i said. ive been getting some rank 5-1 killers and looping them fair and square, escaping, and etc. it's working much better than the rank system. i've been told many times that the only reason i'm not rank 1 is that i've got no time for the game, and can only play in packs of 3-4 matches per day. that way, ranking from 15 to red ranks is very hard, now i get it. the mmr is indeed super fair. thank you bhvr, for the nice work you're doing. PRANKED YA!!! my rank 20 friend who dies in the first 5 seconds of matches is being matched against rank 1's. why, if he's not swf'ing with high-ranks? explain yourselves, mods.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

Inb4: "But how did the match feel? Rank doesn't matter."

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

Now you have to do something the first time, instead of just pressing m1 and bully the killer. Carry the other ppl if you are so good or get rekt.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

We were told it ran in the background for months prior to this update and that it would take 10 matches for the system to find your average skill level. Gameplay suggests that this definitely is not the case.