Survivors Taking Game Hostage To Exploit Hatch

Options
TheButcher
TheButcher Member Posts: 871
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

It's been a serious problem. Any amount of gen's left, but only 2 survivors remaining. The two survivors will hide, and refuse to do gens. Just to have a chance at getting the free win from the hatch. Taking the game hostage, or until the Killer finds one of them.

Just played in a match for 2 hours, simply because I had nothing better to do anyways (so I wasn't forced to DC). Wanted to see how long it would go for, and when I could actually find one.

@Peanits Any dev's want to explain to me again why adding the hatch to stop players from taking the game hostage was a good idea even in the first place? Because imo it did nothing but cause players to take the game hostage anyway they can for the easy/free win.

September 9th Update;

Are you serious BHVR? Honestly what's the point of doing the objective as survivor anymore. I'm just going to pop one of these bad boys on and watch as the Killer cry's because I will either be standing at the hatch, or the door furthest of it for certain at the end of the match when I let my whole team die.

Post edited by TheButcher on

Comments

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

What map were you playing on that you couldn't find anyone until 2 hours? Perhaps they should make it so survivors auras are shown after 10 minutes when no gens are being worked on and chases are initiated.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I've never had a match go on for two hours, but I definitely agree that the scenario where you have two survivors just hiding as much as they can while the killer looks for them is incredibly boring and drags the game out. I'd love it if the game had a timer where if no player scores any bloodpoints for, say, 5 minutes then the endgame collapse starts. Five minutes would be plenty of time for one of the survivors to try and work on a gen or the killer to finally find one of them and start a chase. But if nothing is happening for that long just start the timer so the game can end after a couple more minutes either way.

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587
    Options

If only we had some sort of mechanic that makes Survivors easier to find if they decide to not do anything for a moderate amount of time.

Oh wait Stillness Crows exist.

Unfortunately they suck and don't work for immersive Survivors so I guess you just have to bring Whispers every single match or play a Killer like Doctor or Oni who have good built in tracking. (To a lesser extent Plague)

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Options

This is really annoying, but there are things such as crows that should make it easier. They did take the game hostage, but you had counter plays you coulda used. But they were banking on you DCing, which isn't a fair win con

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961
    Options

Yeah, this is becoming more and more common and more annoying. They need to make an egc style bar if gens aren't being advanced after 5 minutes.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

The ability to hold games hostage has (to my knowledge) always been a "survivor strat" to make the killer DC. Its a problem i used to run into about every third game.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

To be fairly blunt, just find the Survivors.

They aren't running Calm Spirit (no one does), so use things like crows, or crow bombs on maps that are applicable. Use your noggin and think like a Blendette. Look in places where you don't think you have to look.

Unless you're on an indoor map. In which case, I can't help you and that is hostage taking.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

Hatch needs a complete rework, the entire mechanic is trash.

• BeyondDisbelief
    BeyondDisbelief Member Posts: 69
    Options

I've had that happen to me once. I don't remember which killer I was but definitely not a mobility/ranged one. It was the Silent Hills map with 3gens remaining and 2 survivors left, so can't even do hatch hunting.

Being survivor main it's fairly easy to stealth away and avoid interacting with the killer if you're commited to it between heartbeat and spinechills or premonition if you have it. The DS/UB/DH "meta" promotes the kind of in-your-face strategies against the killer that has largely skewed people's understanding of stealth play in DBD.

I'm in favor of some kind of Entity pressure if no gens progress are made for too long. Maybe model it after the crow mechanic somehow?

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

This pisses me off more than anything else. I never slug for the 4k, but if they do this, I will 100% sweat my dick off for a 4k.

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879
    Options

Tbh its really hard to find the survivor if they refuse to do any objectif you need to be lucky unless you have doctor or whisper you will never find them dont forget killer have a 32 terror radius

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,145
    Options
  • Godot
    Godot Member Posts: 806
    Options

Oh, boo hoo. Give me a break. I have never had a game like that in my life. Not as a Killer, not as a Survivor. However much I tried to "ninja around the map" either alone or with a friend to attempt great escape, we still tried to do generators (because we were working together in the first place) but even if we didn't, the Killer would've still found one of us. Must be just the trash way I play, although from the looks of it it still would've been trash if I tried to play the hiding game, eh?

If they're sweating off their balls to get that 4k, instead they should just AFK and go watch YouTube or something in the meantime. That's what I would do, instead of complaining about something I've personally literally never experienced, but 90% of people here somehow have and it being a "serious issue" (Red ranks, by the way). Seriously, what's gonna happen if you don't get a 4k? Ruin your precious 2 win record?

Up votes mean that people agree with you. Shouldn't you be happier or something? You got more than I did!

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

I had exactly such a game maybe a week ago. Playing with two blendettes, and as soon as I was dead and they were the only left, they refused to do any gens and crouched around the map the whole time (with urban, of course), for more than 15 mintues. Eventually I befriended the killer and tried to tell him where they were hiding, it still took quite some time until they were finally sacrificed (bc. I could only messge him).

• Godot
    Options

You did the right thing, to be honest. I may be a Survivor main, but even I hate Blendettes. Seriously, worst character ever. Every time I see them as Killer, I literally have to up my monitor's brightness by like 200, and use a useless perk like Predator to properly see where they run off to.

• CaulDrohn
    Options

Before the killers got locked in lobby, you could switch to Freddy, since sleeping survivors gat a blue/white outline and cannnot hide efficiently. Sadly thats no longer possible. Does predator really help against that? I would say Bloodhound, Stridor or Whispers are better picks in case of Blendettes ^^.

• Godot
    Options

Well, I always get confused when they run at me suddenly and I instantly lose them because of how weird the camera angle is for Killers. So yeah, Predator helps tracking where they go. But I agree, the other perks you listed are also quite useful.

• BongRips4Wraith
    BongRips4Wraith Member Posts: 87
    Options

Killers: Tunnel, camp, and slug whenever they feel like it because it creates easy pressure (thought not always the best one), especially if they're losing. This can waste a lot of the Survivor's time and is generally not fun for them.

Survivors: Hide as long as they want (with a 15 minute limit before they get banned) when they're losing because it increases their chances of escaping/getting their daily. This can waste a lot of the Killer's time and is generally not fun for them.

You: SURVIVOR EXPLOIT

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

When there's two survivors left and both are hiding and not doing objectives it's extremely dull as killer, it's also annoying if one of the survivors left is actually still working on gens while the other crouchwalks around the hatch and waits for them to die, essentially rewarding being a terrible teammate. And let's not forget the two swf teammates who have a key and take forever to find the hatch (this is horrible on swamp)

My solution would be a timer like mechanic when two survivors are left in which you have to meet a minimum threshold of productivity - either working on gens or being in chase. When it's up any survivor who failed to do that is instakilled, which could be one of them, neither or both.

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 769
    Options

I had the same experience this weekend, I wonder if we had the same players but in my case it were two Neas, so probably not. You can't message the killer on steam (and they gave up after 15 minutes) but I recorded and reported them, but with the bad report system we have at the moment I'm not sure if something is going to happen.

The killer had given up after some time, the Neas were urbaning around in an indoor map, so no chance.

• CaulDrohn
    Options

You can message the killer if you send a friend request and he accepts it (given you both are on steam, of course).

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 769
    Options

From my experience the friend requests are easy to miss when you ingame, but maybe I should have tried it.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Simple solution:

After 5 minutes of no gens being completed, the killer can go into the basement and power the exit gates themselves.

5 minutes after that, survivors can power the exit gates in the basement as well.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375
    Options

If that's for real and those two Survivors were in the match for two hours constantly moving around to not attract the crows... Then they must be mentally handicapped - that's for sure.

Surely sucks to experience this but I kinda feel sorry for them and their lack of brain power to make rational decisions.

• CaulDrohn
    Options

Yep, can be missed easily, but the try is free, so why not. If the killer sees it, great you can help him. If not, it's essentially their missed opportunity, not yours.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

@CaulDrohn

I mean evading the killer is a part of the objective. While I find that gameplay boring, it is a part of the survivor objective.

It is no more "abusable" than someone who only chases till so far. Same holding the game hostage result. You are not letting it end.