The grind as survivor needs a massive overhaul!!!

TheClownIsKing
TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
edited September 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

You know what I’m sick of?

1000 to 3000bp games because 2 survivors DC at the beginning, and the killer STILL camps the hook of whomever is left at 5 gens still left!!!

An afternoon of a dozen games, and HOORAY, and a grand total of roughly 20,000bp!

Not even enough to clear 1 friggin bloodweb.

FIX THE DAMN GRIND IN THIS GAME PLEASE!!!

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• TheClownIsKing

This is what is absurd with this game.

Pretty much the way I unlock teachables as survivor is to play Clown with BBQ & Distressing, not worry about whether I win or lose.

Players should be able to adequately progress as survivor by playing, duh, survivor!

It shouldn’t be more optimal to just grind as killer.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2020

Yeah, I get that it's potentially 4× the BP getting used to buy powerful items and add-ons, but at the same time SWF already get more BP just because they can farm in a co-ordinated fashion.

Edit: Bloodpoints, not peanut butter.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited September 2020

And it's actually been a primary turn off of me playing Survivor as much as Killer. It just takes way too many games to get the BP unless you're part of a skilled, coordinated SWF. Meanwhile, that BP I'm using my Killer to earn and dumping into my Survivors also means I am not replenishing add-ons for the Killer. Or, I'm not using add-ons in the first place which can sometimes be boring.

Fortunately, I don't need add-ons for Doc, so he's good for me to Survivor BP farm. Legion is another good one for BP, but I'd be damned before I run him without add-ons.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,801

To play devil's advocate, do you think you'd be having more or less fun if you had all characters at P3 50 with all perks unlocked? I don't know about you, but I think I would be having less fun.

There's definitely room to reduce the grind, but it doesn't bother me a ton as is.

• TheClownIsKing

No, because I want to have more freedom to experiment with builds. Won’t get boring because the perk combinations become almost endless.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

If you want bp, just play killer.

• Kilmeran
    edited September 2020

I agree with @TheClownIsKing. A core of DbD's game design is perk builds. The grind is boring as all hell, especially in a PvP game. I want to experiment with builds, discover different perk synergies besides just the same old meta builds. It was actually a selling point with Paladins back when I played. All the cards were unlocked for every character out of the gate. They started at Level 1 and went to Level 5, and you had 15 points to spend between the 5 cards in the loadout.

Out of the gate, I could start playing around and experimenting with builds and tryout different playstyles with each character. The lack of a grind didn't cause me to stop playing Paladins. It was the constant onslaught of bugs and server issues (sound familiar?) as well as the Battlepass Challenges that ended up ruining the quality of too many matches (hmm, that also sounds familiar).

Having a grind for the cards would not have kept me. Matter of fact, when they tried that in beta with OB64, it drove me away until it was changed to what it went "Live" with.

The grind in DbD is completely asinine, and actually one of the turn-offs for me. If it wasn't for the fact that I can play Michael Myers, I doubt I would have stayed with the game past the first week because of the grind.

If I wanted to grind to build my character, I could go back to playing any MMO.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 572
    edited September 2020

We're gonna live forever should probably be rolled into another perk like kindred and given more ways to stack like doing generators or totems imo.

Currently, it doesn't even remotely stand up to its killer counterpart, BBQ, and is infinitely harder to stack because you have to fight your teammates for unhooks and waste time taking protection hits to get it stacked. Not to mention BBQ is one of the best information perks as well for killer.

Or just forget rolling WGLF into another perk (but still make it easier to stack). Just make the blood point gains from BBQ and WGLF entirely passive without needing a perk but still needing to be stacked.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695
    edited September 2020

This is why I have a hard time giving up WGLF when playing survivor. But I think the stacks of WGLF needs to apply to other tasks, and not just unhooks and protection hits. Since there's four survivors, getting unhooks isn't always a guarantee since someone else could always be closer. Maybe escaping a chase, or pallet stunning the killer could also count?

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

It's getting teachables and perks that's the issue. Not everyone cares about being P3 50, but there's a lot of perks that are teachables that are really useful to have.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,801
    edited September 2020

If that's all you want, you can totally just get all of the perks on one character. It takes a little bit of a time commitment, but that's really nothing crazy. You could easily bang that out during the next event, for example. I did exactly that; I power leveled a character to P3 50 and got all perks unlocked just in case I wanted to run any specific builds, and I've been slowly leveling up everyone else after that.

Yes, you do need to have everyone else at level 40 before you can do that, but getting to level 40 will cost you maybe 1.1 million BPs depending on how greedy you are in the Bloodweb. During events, most games are worth 100k+, even as survivor, and that's not counting the rift. So, you could have a character up to level 40 in like 2 hours, 3 hours tops. Even if you have every character unlocked and have a lot of characters to level, you could still unlock a good chunk of your teachables during an event. Is it grindy? Yeah, but I don't think it's too unreasonable compared to other games.

My personal opinion is that the grind actually encourages you to try out different perk builds, because you're pushed to create a build with good synergy when other perks you may consider mandatory (WGLF for me) are not available. I've fallen in love with perks like Aftercare for this reason, and my opinion of other perks I had previously discounted like Windows of Opportunity has improved hugely. I like messing around with perk builds, but when people have the choice between winning with meta perks and losing with a weak but cool niche build, most people will choose the former. It's easy to fall into the trap of (in my case) running WGLF, Iron Will, and two other synergistic perks instead of trying out a more exciting build because those options aren't available to you.

Edit: If your goal is P3 50 and all perks for all characters, though, oh yeah, you're gonna be in for like 2,000 hours of slogging. Just to get all perks on your main killer and main survivor to mess around with builds, though? That's not too bad.

• TheClownIsKing

Exactly.

When Felix gets released and I want to start experimenting with his perks in particular loadouts on my preferred survivors, I’ve got to go through a minimum of 40 bloodwebs on Felix, then god knows how many on my preferred survivors before they show up in their bloodwebs.

It’s ludicrous with the abysmal amount of points survivors earn.

• Kilmeran
    edited September 2020

I'm going to be honest: Starting with the Blight DLC, I've given up getting them or the perks unlocked. My bloodwebs are already RNG hell due to all the teachables already unlocked to the point that I am an easy 20 bloodwebs into my Level 50 Myers and still can't find Corrupt for him.

Unless the perks are absolutely godly and are guaranteed meta-shaking (or a horror icon I love, such as Jason or the Tall Man), I'm not effing bothering anymore. Between 16 DLCs and the general perk pool, I'm over this RNG bullshit on character after character.

I never Prestige a character. Bloody cosmetics are not worth doing it all over again.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429

I wish they'd actually give you something worth it with prestige instead of SLIGHTLY increasing chances for whatever stuff, it's so pointless.

Least they could do is keep all your unlocked perks with said character at T1 (or just remove the tiers and save us from an eternal grind, seriously)

• cranzer
    cranzer Member Posts: 26

The bp grind is one the things that keeps this game as my secondary game. Tightening up the bloodwebs or changing how they function would make a world of difference. No tier 1 or 2 perk to unlock in web. Let players choose addons or items when they move around in the web rather than hoping what they want is generated somewhere. Any improvements to this system would help retain newer players better as they don't have to feel gimped as long as they currently do.

Legacy players with 1000's of addons stacked don't care anyways but having more players staywill ultimately help the game.