Please be more creative with the Killers

I think i speak for most players, survivor or killer, when i say: new killers are meant to bring fresh wind into the game.

But if i look at the recent history of killers, i would say they arent very unique, the gameplay is most of the time similar. If you want to make the game more fun, please try to think outside the box|out of the box|beyond the box or outside the square.

Be a little creative with the killers or get inspiration from the community. Do something completely different instead of building on the same base you build the last 4 years on.

I feel like the core elements become a little stale if nothing new gets implemented.

Comments

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I'm pretty sure that every killer we got so far was quite unique with a interesting power.

With so many killers already in the game there's a high change that some feel a bit similiar in certain aspects.

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565
    edited October 2020

@OniWantsYourMacaroni

You know how many Killers got a movement oriented power ? Its 12 out of 21. Other than that most of them have the same base chase mechanic with a little twist. I would like to see more strategic Killers like Trapper for example who changes the gameplay of maps with his traps since he basically creates barriers with his traps where no one can simply go through.

• Zucker_Schock
    edited October 2020

I know that its easier to stick to a principle that you know works other than do something completely different but i would love to see something new and i could give you a few examples as well, just look at some fan made chapters / killers if you want, i can give you some concepts too.

I can give you another example, BHVR stuck to a Bipedal Rig with basically the same size for the entire span of the game. Of course it is more difficult to adjust some maps and so on if you need to consider a different sized character but its not that hard, other company's have done it in the past as well.

• DrSlaughter22
    DrSlaughter22 Member Posts: 26

I had an idea where theres a fish man monster that can throw harpoons. The harpoons must be retrieved after each throw and can hold up to 3.

Harpoons can injure survivors if hit directly.

Harpoons that hit a wall or the ground will block the path of survivors.

For example. If at an LT wall, throwing a harpoon into the wall by one of the windows will prevent survivors from vaulting the window the harpoon is blocking.

So in a sense this killer would be a mix of the trapper, clown, and huntress

• Zucker_Schock
    edited October 2020

This video explains part of what i am saying pretty well.

• GoodLookinCookin
    GoodLookinCookin Member Posts: 341

I often enjoy using perks to create interesting interactions between different killers against survivors, but I often run into a halt after a few games of that build where I fall back into playing "boring".

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

Well,that's because movement abilities are so extremely important in this game.

You can see that almost all the top tier killers have some kind of movement ability (Freddy,Spirit,Nurse etc.)

Problem with adding more strategic killers is that it's pretty hard to implement another one that wouldn't feel the same like Hag or Trapper.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

I agree that it would be cool to add a non bipedal character,but i can also see that that would require an insane amount of work AND money to make it happen.

So i can see why that won't happen

Sure,other games made that happen but you can't always compare games to each other and say 'Well game X made Y happen,so game Z should too'.

I would love to see a concept of a killer which sounds realistic (in terms of adding it to the game) that would feel completely unique and new.

• Zucker_Schock

Ok, i will give you something i wrote when Blight was on PTB how they could have made him instead of giving him another movement ability. Its not as fleshed out as some fan created chapter ideas you can find on here or every other communication channel Youtube for example. Just a realistic power idea:

"For example they could have made him injected survivors with his blight, causing them to have debuffs and sporadically stop interactions like repairing and healing. And maybe give them a infection bar, that increases while they are under the effect, when it reaches 100% they sporadically fall into a frenzy attacking everything around them, kicking gens they worked on or attack survivors they tried to heal. To stop this they would need to find alchemist stations across the map. Would have been more interesting than what we got."

"Why not do something completely fresh ? Inject them and send Survivors in a delusional world of madness where they need to complete a objective to get back into the trails aka get back into consciousness. Or so much more, there could have been debuffs for survivors, toxic spores, giant mutations, harvestable flowers, AI controled survivors that are affected by the blight, multiple power tiers and mutations. Not just Octane from Apex Legends but more bouncy and less jumpy."

I will say that things like AI aren't that easy to implement but changing a positive interaction like healing or repairing into a negative one like kicking the gen or hurting the Survivor is pretty easy to do. Multiple stages to his ability wouldnt be hard to do either.

• Zucker_Schock

@OniWantsYourMacaroni

I will give you that my idea isnt completely fresh and has some similarities to Plague or Pig but it is also not something that i thought about for a long time or got paid for, its just something fast and quick.

There are people that invest quite a bit of time to create fan made chapter concepts which are fresh and realistic while others of course are a bit utopic.

There seem to be a few pretty fleshed out chapters here for example : https://www.youtube.com/c/IridescentMalicious/videos

I have no idea how realistic they would be since i havent watched them all, just a little something.

• Zucker_Schock

Just as a side note i also want to adress that AI in itself isnt as hard as people may think it is, since engines already give a basic AI construct. So making AI characters that find their path towards their destination be it a player or objective is not very hard. I made them a few times myself so i know what i am talking about. Sure networking them is also part of it but still its possible. And BHVR already has a basic AI in Dbd in form of the tutorial characters. But they are very basic, anyway would be possible to have some AI entities.

• Zucker_Schock

If you want some takes on things, where they could start, how about: A killer that interacts with water, on every map he enters are puddles of water / it rains / he makes it rain. He could make them into traps or use them for his own traversal like portals or buffs. And also could use the rain in some way like make it an activatable ability that grants him bonuses or de-buffs survivors in some way.

A killer that interacts with lockers and uses them as weapons like explosives or portal locations.

A killer that changes the game since he starts a timer at the start of the match and is in a top down perceptive. His goal isn't to kill everyone like all other killers but slow the survivors down with his abilities until the countdown runs out and kills the survivors. Therefore he doesn't have to interact with the map like usual and map objects receive a new interaction for the survivors transforming them into weapons against the killers powers.

Of course the last one is a stretch and isn't really realistic since they keep their base concept. Would shake everything up though.

• Zucker_Schock

There could also be a killer that can change the map, for example place new walls into the map that stay in place for a certain duration. Or a ability that blocks windows.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

The issue is more on the players who don't play the killers to their potential. They'll easily cherry-pick what gives them some advantage, and play the ever same with the rest.

There isn't much any dev team could do about that without overhauling the mechanics from the ground up. which so many players are absolutely averse against when asked.

it's the whole eat your cake and have it thing

• Zucker_Schock

I like the chain idea for example, sure its very strong in its current state. And has some similarities with Pyramid Heads trail. Still the picking up and setting down and also blocking gen ability is quite interesting.

• Zucker_Schock

Hmm well thats more of a balance issue i guess. It all depends on what tools devs give killers and how strong or weak certain addons or other aspects are. I am more talking about abilities that are creative and fun that change the gameplay and give more decisions to make.

• LuffyBlack
    LuffyBlack Member Posts: 595

I think with the game as it stands, it's going to be hard to get a killer that's going to really shake things up. Our only purpose is to kill and guard gens, that's it. Meanwhile in Friday the 13th: The Game((God rest its soul)) there's a ton of objectives to kill and a lot of map to roam around in, you throw in other killers in that game then the opposite side might see new and interesting objectives. You could use killers like The Pig or Freddy to usher in a cool new game mode however.

• Zucker_Schock
    edited October 2020

I know what you want to say, but not all killers need to be for the majority of players. If most of them are bad with a killer since they dont play them to their full potential so be it.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

yeah. but that's the thing:

look at the onslaught of threads complaining how X is boring or OP. often enough these threads boil down to said killer calling for a change in playstyle, be it how to go about playing survivor against them, or what perks to use as killer, how to patrol the gens etc. and some very vocal people simply don't want that.

they WANT all killers to be available to all, in the sense that all killers can be approached with the same tactic.

and that IS boring.

• Zucker_Schock

Well i believe there are still many things the devs could do, that would change things up a bit. But it seems they are deadlocked in their creation process. I also believe they tend to value graphical quality more than gameplay quality at least considering the killers. And they stick to a certain concept because it works, even though it limits their possibilities.

• Zucker_Schock

Yeah thats true, but thats only the case because the devs are weak and fast to buckle. If they would stick to their agenda instead of listening to the majority of people this wouldn't happen. Or if they would only listen to people that know what they are talking about instead of listening to the majority. They already have the fog whisperer program and many hard core players and streamers/youtubers that know what they are talking about.

Why aren't they using that instead of throwing everything away for people that don't know what they are talking about half the time.

• Zucker_Schock

@MeltingPenguins

Freddy is a good example of that, the original version was unique and fun in my opinion but most people did not get how to play him correctly. So they changed him and made him boring. The new Freddy is stronger than the old one but also boring. I consistently 4ked with old Freddy in Rank 1 and the survivors werent suffering because of that either.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

Killers that made the community go "WOAH, CRAZY!"

Trapper, Wraith, Hillbilly, Nurse, Myers, Hag (?), Doctor (I think to some degree?), Huntress, Pig bc of alternate way to die, not really anyone else except Spirit and maybe Oni....and Blight.

Killer powers yet to be seen:

1. flying
    2. multiple killer killers (i.e. the killer can be in two places at the same time somehow through use of possess-able statues, projections, idk)
    3. attacking only from underground
    4. a killer that can move props such as hooks, gens, pallets, etc. around
    5. a killer that can take over a survivor's controls, either through body swapping or through possession of some sort
    6. killers that rely only on sound (Minecraft Warden, anyone?)
    7. killers that make survivors need to be the only ones left alive at the end of a trial (idk how this would be implemented well considering this design team).

Some of the powers in this list could be pretty cool and others I would definitely not want to see in-game.

--

Kind_Lemon 

An advocate of place-able totems, a priming-pallet interaction, and the removal of Exposed from tier 1 Devour Hope.

Also supports changes to how many survivors need to be present to start repairs on a generator.

#revertNurseaddons #reverttieroneDevour #reverttieroneBL #nofreechaseresources #placeabletotems #revertBillysounds #workwiththemusicyouhave