Having Fun

I've been playing for a few months now and have been playing for fun. What I mean by that is, when playing killer, I try to make it fun for the survivors as well as me. This could just be not stopping an unhook, not using "the meta perks", or looking the other way when a person i hooked twice runs by just to give them another chance. Sometimes I do silly things when I know I'm going to lose too like ringing my bell menacingly as wraith while chasing. It slows you down but I often get a few laughs in the post game lobby.

Something I've discovered however is that this is nearly impossible to do as survivor. There's not really a good way to help the killer have fun as the survivors whole purpose seems to be built around just annoying the killer.

I don't want to throw the game by giving the killer a free hook (unless they seem to be really hurting after the doors have opened) but I can't really find a way to make the match "fun" for the killers while still trying to win. Especially trying to find a way that also doesn't make the rest of my team upset or get me called slurs in the post game.

Could my play style be considered toxic or bad? Is there a good way to keep the game interesting and fun for the killer and survivors as survivor? Am I just crazy? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Idk to me it seems you care too much about others. As long as you don't bm and make sure your opponent is compensated for their efforts, you have nothing to feel bad about.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,798

When I'm playing killer, provided survivors aren't t-bagging / flashlight clicking in the gates and things like that, I'm usually having fun. The one main thing I do as survivor is rarely run Dead Hard, DS, and Adrenaline. These three perks are really frustrating as killer so I don't like to use them as survivor.

If you're just polite in the chat that usually goes a long way lol

• jisp3r
    jisp3r Member Posts: 317
    edited October 2020

Hello!!

Well as killer you're responsible for the quality of the trial...

As survivor, if you're not tea bagging and clicking flashlights you're not being toxic i guess...

That's why I enjoy playing more killer than survivor.. I do the same as you. Non meta perks, no tunneling, no camping and everyone has fun.

As survivor, most of the times the killer is the toxic one. I play normally every game because I know how boring is a toxic survivor. Also because being toxic is for kids..

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

If I see a killer struggling as a survivor, I tend to back off of gens a bit and totem hunt, open chests, and do pretty much anything but gens.

• Waffleyumboy

So you reward killers for doing bad? You're not fixing the problem, you're just making yourself feel better. Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day...

• HelloAgainMr
    HelloAgainMr Member Posts: 31

I mean, I help the killer if my teammates are being bad people. Blinds, teabags, DCs, that kind of stuff. And I don't just, like, walk up to them and let them hook me. I give them a bit of the chase and all that. Hopefully I'm teaching the killer to fish and making it so they don't have a terrible time while I'm at it. Pip losses suck.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I mean it's just really prolonging the game, giving them more experience.

• Waffleyumboy

True but I am concerned if they learn the correct message from the experience. If they chase someone too long and have a nice long game afterwards will they learn to over commit to chases? I'm probably over thinking it.

• GoodLookinCookin
    GoodLookinCookin Member Posts: 341

It is a bit strange that you have to "try" to make it fun for survivors and yourself. It's almost like the devs forget they are making a GAME.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

I tried having fun once. It was awful.

• notstarboard
    edited October 2020

The game has lots of built-in incentives to play in a fun way. For example, perks like BT and the emblem system punish killers that camp the hook. Perks like DS punish killers that tunnel (although the devs have said that's not the only goal of the perk). The emblem system also rewards getting lots of hooks and hooking every survivor at least once, so killers are punished for games where you slug and quickly snowball, camp people on the hook, or tunnel some people and ignore others. The "safe hook rescue" system incentivizes survivors not to farm their teammates off the hook. Perks like WGLF and Kindred along with massive BP and emblem rewards from unhooks incentivize not leaving teammates to die on the hook. Perks like BBQ and Devour Hope encourage the killer to leave the hook and go chase someone else. Etc. etc.

Still, some people don't care about that stuff, and that's where trying to play in a way that's fun for the other side comes in.

I played a hillbilly yesterday running Ruin and Tinkerer that camped shack relentlessly during the game. He ("he" meaning "the hillbilly") would intentionally try to bait saves by sprinting away and sprinting right back, or by appearing to commit to a chase with a nearby survivor before spinning around and running through shack to make sure no one was saving. We had one (at first) and (eventually) two people powering through gens while he camped, and we finished two or three gens will he was camping the first guy. He ended up snowballing and 4king before we got all 5 done. In the post game chat he said that he knew whenever a gen would hit 70% because of Tinkerer and he was not going to leave shack until his Tinkerer proc'd. When I hadn't pointed out that he still hadn't moved for any of the gens we completed, his response was "Well, I wasn't going to make it anyway so why would I leave?". I didn't like that response. 1) You're the hillbilly and it takes 24 seconds for a solo survivor to finish a gen after Tinkerer procs. You would absolutely make it. 2) Are you seriously saying that your game plan is to get a basement hook and then to only stop camping shack if the survivors get a gen right near the shack to 70% or more progress? Sounds extremely boring.

Is this hillbilly justified in playing this way? Absolutely. It's his game and he can play how he'd like. Still, these are the sorts of cases where I really appreciate when people are making fun a priority. It's not all about killing survivors. It's more fun for both sides when there's more interaction between the killer and survivors. I make this a priority when I'm playing both sides, and I'm glad that OP does too.

• notstarboard

My bad, I must have forgotten that people don't browse forums to read comments :/