If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

PC - Flashlight Blind does not force killer to drop survivor

Options

I have, several times, gotten killer blinds that do not result in the killer dropping the survivor they are carrying.

Yes I am confident that the blind happened, I got the score notification for it.

This happens most often on huntress and usually during the first .5 seconds of the pickup animation.

Is it expected that killers have I-frames during pickups that prevent blinds from forcing them to drop survivors? If so, would you care explaining why? Flashlights are already ridiculously hard to use effectively, and the mere existence of one causes killers to go full toxic.

0 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,160
    Options

you just didn't time it right, they only drop survivors when they are able to move not during pick up animation, but you can time to to have it blinded around the first few frames that they are able to move

• danderson2012
    danderson2012 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020
    Options

I disagree with this. The blind duration and timing are wildly variable and dependent on ping as well.

Does this mean that the blind has to start while they're able to move? Why? It's nigh impossible to get a blind on a killer who can freely move.

I will draw back to the tail end of my question. Why are there iFrames on pickup?

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

You cannot force a killer to drop a survivor before they are in control of their character. This is true for both pallet stuns and flashlights. You have to time your blind to successfully blind AS the killer regains control.

This is because without that, it's insanely easy to blind the killer every single time they pick someone up and have no way to avoid the beam, especiallly if survivors go down in an open area.

• Fiboo
    Fiboo Member Posts: 2
    Options

Yes... it takes some practice with the timing. It can be frustrating, but there's nothing more satisfying than pulling off a flashlight stun save.

Just google DBD flashlight rescue timings. There's a lot of videos out there that show you when to time it.

The general idea is to start the flashlight stun as the killer lifts the survivor and his arm is horizontal to his shoulder.

Takes some prac but definitely worth the time playing around with it.

• lowiq
    lowiq Member Posts: 436
    Options

Flashlight saves don't rely on ping btw.

• danderson2012
    danderson2012 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020
    Options

So what you're saying is that the only way to flashlight save is to know the following:

• The exact duration for my current level of flashlight to blind
    • The exact modification to that blind duration based on my current addons
    • The exact timing of when a surivor is picked up
    • The exact animation time of when a killer will be able to move again
    • How to get into a position to be able to actually blind the killer

And if i happen to know all of that, i might get a flashlight save if the killer doesn't happen to have lightborn or immediately rotates. Not to mention the difference in what I see vs what the killer sees in the form of ping.

Did I accurately sum up the requirements for getting a flashlight save?

How is this meant to be balanced given that flashlights are easily countered by

• Not blindly picking up a survivor when there's a flashlight on the team
    • facing a wall while picking up
    • running lightborn
    • running franklins
    • slugging

.. and given the fact that flashlights almost always trigger killers to be toxic, tunneling, first hook moris, etc.

It seems to me that there are plenty of tools here for the killer to deal with flashlights. Further, animation locks like pallet kicking and picking up a survivor are the ONLY way to get killer blinds if they even barely try. With a small field of vision and the duration required to get a blind it's not possible to blind a killer in any other situation.

Its mechanics like this, wiggling, trying to break deathslinger chain, that feel way too tailored to the killer to be effectively used. They rely on the killer being unaware of their effects or durations to work.

As a killer, i should be worried about flashlights, i should have to think about where the other survivors are before i pick one up. Just like worrying about picking up a survivor under a pallet. As for the statement about pallet stuns also not working during the animation. I don't agree with that either.

To recap: everyone here is saying that "Yes, killers have I-Frames before being forced to drop a survivor", I would love to have an actual answer from BHVR as to why that level of balance was needed. I'd also love to hear any stats they may have on the average duration of a carry before dropping a survivor during a blind.

Post edited by danderson2012 on
  • ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    edited October 2020
    Options

Flashlight blinds are clientside. Meaning you dont need to adjust to your ping. I have seen killers pick up a surviviors get blinded, turn around, walk 2 metres, and THEN the carried survivor jumps off.

The blind duration is independent from your addons, its always 1 second, and is roughly when the survivor body reaches the killer's shoulder and they start to straighten their neck.

The blinding angle is extremely generous. The killer can completely face a wall, and stilll be blinded. From my tests its roughly 160°-170°.

Perks like Franklin's Demise, or Lightborn are extremely rare, because of how situational they are. Rememebr that the killer spends one precious perkslot to counter your item. While you as survivor team still have 16 perkslots free to use.

• lowiq
    lowiq Member Posts: 436
    Options

Flashlights are really fun for one side and not fun for the other. That's why it's balanced around being bad.

And quite honestly, if you are missing saves because you are blinding early, that means you had the opportunity. Just go practice the timing. You can be extremely good at dead by daylight without ever touching a flashlight. If you want to learn flashlights to have fun, then you just have to invest time into it.