Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The Fall of Dead by Daylight?

DARKxVOID
DARKxVOID Member Posts: 68
edited October 2020 in Ask the Community

Let me start this off saying Dead by Daylight is my favourite game/franchise on Xbox/Playstation. I'm a big horror fan and it's a love letter to me. I love the game and want to see it succeed and "win."

But I also have anxiety and I worry about the game and it's health. I've seen a lot of posts and videos bringing up how the game is beginning to die and it's starting to fall as there's more microtransactions and bad quality content being thrown at us. I really don't want the game to die or go anywhere.

I'm basically just here asking for reassurance and need someone else's opinion about this. I just want to know that Dead by Daylight isn't going anywhere for a long time because I really care about this game. I am quite passionate and get very excited for new things.

I just want to be able to enjoy it for many years to come and I want it to keep growing. It's not World of Warcraft or Overwatch but in my opinion it's more special than those things. I just want it to succeed.

Answers

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Dbd goes through a relatively regular cycle of population increases after a chapter release (usually with a sale or free weekend) followed by decline with an overall slow growth trend. The decreases are normally around 20% or so over a one or two month period. Currently we had a peak of the highest population of players following the Silent Hill and Blight chapters and are in the decline stage. There are however currently 56k players at this moment playing the game as I type this so if there actually is a long term trend downward as the game ages it’s not affecting anything right now.

Really the better tell for whether or not the game is in a longer term decline is to see what happens after the next chapter coming out in a month or two. If that chapter does well and there’s another typical surge, and the decline is about the same as we normally see, then it’s a sign the game is doing fine. If the next chapter has a lackluster increase followed by another 20% decline then that would be more of a red flag.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Just ignore the negativity you find on the Forum. It isn't reliable as a pulse check for reality.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited October 2020

I think it’s got at least a year or two left because of how loyal the playerbase is. Even with how bad the Eternal Blight event and update are, a lot of people stayed. If you look at its past, DBD should have died so many times but it didn’t.

However (and this is where the negative part comes in), the event turning out the way it did is something I predicted about a year and a half ago. BHVR went full Activision/EA with greed and laziness. If they keep it up, the playerbase will take a big hit. The Steam charts are already showing a decrease in the playerbase. While we don’t have access to console numbers, I’d think that they’re decreasing too because of the event and being promised optimization for years but rarely getting it. The recent dev stream with the answers to OoO and the stance on stats did not help at all. DBD may be an absolute blast when it works, but if BHVR keeps it up with the greed, laziness, and incompetence, this game will not last very long. Avengers and Anthem have shown us that. Avengers even showed us that a name and history will only take you so far.

• keith_shinji
    keith_shinji Member Posts: 15

Interesting enough I was more concerning about the game health at the beginning when they didn't sell much stuff beside occasional chapters. I know how much of an expense it is to run a game studio so I was wondering why they don't sell things like cosmetics. I don't really get why people think they are greedy. Cosmetics is something optional that doesn't break the game.

Like what dugman said DBD has it's up and down periodically. Players come and go from time to time and from what I can see the game is doing fine - it's not the first time players threaten to boycott or leave the game like when they feel killer/survivor need a buff. Some people think it's not enough, but the fact that the dev did listen and try to improve the game while constantly interact with the players is what keep the community strong and loyal. So for now I would say there isn't much to worry about.

• BugsGalore
    BugsGalore Member Posts: 57

This game has survived through much worse than a ######### event. BHVR constantly does ######### that pisses off the community, but we're far too invested to back out now.

• notlonely
    notlonely Member Posts: 391

I mean you're not wrong but the game is so much fun it will continue to grow, even though we know new players aren't as frequent as they should be.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

I just hope that if the game eventually dies, the developers revert back to peer-to-peer, so we can continiue playing forever.

• theneamain
    theneamain Member Posts: 11

My advice would be when someone says going to shack pallet, 360ing, ds, etc. is toxic, dont listen to them, they are usually salty because of things that help survivors to escape. Same way vise versia, if they say bamboozle, legion, blood warden, etc. is toxic they are usually just salty. Try to focus on the good things like helping a new player, saying gg at the end. It helps with the negativity.

• Falkner09
    Falkner09 Member Posts: 373

The general low quality graphics, increasing bugginess, and gamers switching to different systems with the next gen consoles could result in a perfect storm that causes it to die.

esecially when you considet that the "upgraded" macmillan Graphics, while a huge improvement over what we have, are not quite even current gen if we're honest with ourselves