The promised LGBT characters

Comments

• kylerabdcgamer10
    kylerabdcgamer10 Member Posts: 279

dude its just extremely annoying considering that this is a horror game where that is un necessary

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

Argument is that if its unnecessary then it'd be unnecessary at all to include any sexual prefs, yet there are explicit hetero characters, hence the desire for the same treatment for homo.

Also I'm not sure if I buy the irrelevance at all anyhow given this game's heavy appreciation for its lore, and how much can they really reveal about any of their characters if they need to dance around such fundamental aspects of the human experience. It's only inevitable.

• kylerabdcgamer10

no I mean it would be cool to see a new character representing the lgbtq, "but" some people try to force past characters to be gay and etc. and act like its a big deal if they aren't or are, these are character who do not speak or interact in any way other than healing and saving each other so I just don't see it as being neccacery, also I don't want a character where their character "is that they are gay or etc" I would like it to be properly done and done well. Not being shoved in everyone's face is important too. I think the way that its done best instead of just being clearly stated is, telling it subtly through the lore or rifts like "subtle hints" not "HEY I AM GAAAAY AND THATS MY CHARACTER ARC". I am not against diverse characters, in-fact I want more. More races and etc, it just needs to be done right, not force fed diversity.

• kylerabdcgamer10

"I already said this to another but here you go"

no I mean it would be cool to see a new character representing the lgbtq, "but" some people try to force past characters to be gay and etc. and act like its a big deal if they aren't or are, these are character who do not speak or interact in any way other than healing and saving each other so I just don't see it as being neccacery, also I don't want a character where their character "is that they are gay or etc" I would like it to be properly done and done well. Not being shoved in everyone's face is important too. I think the way that its done best instead of just being clearly stated is, telling it subtly through the lore or rifts like "subtle hints" not "HEY I AM GAAAAY AND THATS MY CHARACTER ARC". I am not against diverse characters, in-fact I want more. More races and etc, it just needs to be done right, not force fed diversity.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2020

Why do people keep saying "IT'S A HORROR..."

Clearly yall never seen NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-M_s2Q9k0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncO4Ow8be2U

Click me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRNcdwqYG9Y

PS: for real though, there's a lot of great critical analysis of NOES2, and even though its easy to disregard those moments as comedic, the subtext absolutely amplifies the horror themes to make the movie retroactively end up one of the best entries in the franchise where taking it at face value renders the work subpar at best

PPS: the general levels of horror knowledge by fans of this game around here feels damn near shameful

(edit: switched video for better one)

(double edit: switched video for the BEST one)

• DingHurf
    DingHurf Member Posts: 41

Heyyyy, I understand your discussion, and I totally get it........ buuuut I´m gonna stand up for the devs, because I think (please tell me if I´m wrong) that they do the chapters like 3 chapters prior ( I mean like when they were already working on The Twins, while releasing The Deathslinger).

So hopefully we will get the characters they promised us a while ago.

• Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241

All I have to say is that I don't think that any single character in this game is explicitly straight. Some may have heterosexual relationships, but that doesn't mean they are.

I'm bi myself, but due to the fact that I want to have my own children one day I would like to be in a relationship that I can have one of my own blood. The way everyone takes things as cut and dry you would all complain that I was another straight character too.

• BumpEmOff99
    BumpEmOff99 Member Posts: 52

I think the problem is, if someone asks for lgbt characters, then it can lead to someone else who is disabled asking for a disabled character and then someone let's say spanish asking for a spanish character, and so on. As long as they just keep adding good back storys and good killers I'm not fussed, as a mum of 2, I'm not asking for them to add a mother into the game.

• Zani22
    Zani22 Member Posts: 444

Wait a bit tbh most likely it will be clown who will end up probably bi (he tortured everyone old or young man or woman)

Why because clown is based of a real life killer who was gay so yeah.

It's easy to make a killer gay of killer the killer is based off is gay.

• BreadLord
    BreadLord Member Posts: 274
    edited November 2020

as long as they give them actual personality, not just THIS CHARACTER IS GAY, LOOK HOW GAY HE IS GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

Imagine complaining about people wanting representation, even though it wouldn’t affect your game in any way but enrich the lore a bit.

• Mooks
    edited November 2020

Look at the backstories and rift/tome entries. There is much lore there and why should everything LGBT be excluded? It kinda feels forced when you include hetero relationships but exclude everything else.

• LeleLP
    LeleLP Member Posts: 153

Only when it gives them something to complain about. Not like this game has a story in itself. The whole lore aspect of this game is pretty damn pointless tbh. Nothing wrong with having lore in a game obviously but a game like dead by daylight honestly has NO point in having it.

• Mooks

You agree, but you still complain about the inclusion of LGBT+ and call it ‚forced‘...

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

As far as I'm concerned, characters aren't anything until proven otherwise. Straight? Gay? Bi? Pan? Asexual? Anything else I don't remember right now? We literally have no way of knowing, so why assume? That's not something you do to real people, why do it to game characters?

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
    edited November 2020

Ehh, I would argue most people in real life assume others are straight unless specified otherwise. Not everyone does this but I would say a good chunk of the population.

And this is not necessarily a bad thing because most of the population is straight. LGBT people exist in a small number compared to straight people.

• MadLordJack

Not to put too fine a point on it ,but who the ######### cares about such arrogant people? That's their mistake to make, not mine.

• Jb94
    Jb94 Member Posts: 209

Tbh this is mainly because the lore is diffuse and (sorry dbd team) generally not written particularly well (something that has improved a little In character backgrounds, archive is hit and miss). If the lore were like... Good then it would be a more prominent part of the game.

The characters of Dbd are an amazing starting point for storytelling purely based on how well designed they are and how much the community projects personality elements onto them. There's a lot of raw potential which isn't really capitalised upon by the game at all. I'd love to see this change and honestly, giving the characters more of a real life (including their relationships), would help a lot with this.

In a general response to everyone saying that due to this being a horror game all of this is irrelevant :

Most horror films dedicate their first third to character building so that the horror actually takes root- this is to trick the emotional part of your brain into feeling something when the individual in question is in danger.

Character building is an immensely important part of the horror genre--it's rarely good tbf, but it's really disingenuous to claim that including character information in dbd is some great crime against horror at large.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

I'm kinda 'meh', on the whole situation to be perfectly honest.

I'm not anxious to see an LGBTQ+ character in the game, nor would I be bothered if one was added, its one of those 'not really important' subjects to me as an individual, but i can still recognize how important it could be to others, so I don't see the harm.

If they do craft this character/s, then i would hope it would be something beyond stereotypical, with some real thought behind it, other than that i have no opinion other than some people just need to chill a little with being quick to be utterly defensive on both sides. I don't feel I need representation in this game as a Bi woman, and no, i don't really understand why orientation is important in this kind of game, like a few of your here. However i am empathetic enough to understand that it IS important to some people, and their desire to have such a character has no real impact on me or my gameplay.

In my personal headcannon, Jane loves EVERYBODY ;) . That's why I run an ambulance build, so she can get you all off hooks and run away to secluded corners to rub you back to health!

• druggedpug69
    druggedpug69 Member Posts: 155

If they did, it would just be for the sake of money. They're a company, they don't actually care about being inclusive. It's the same with all the other companies, they do it to seem inclusive. I think its sad that companies do this for money, but it's just the truth.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

This....will be hard for me to explain as this subject can get a little touchy

So devs didn't promise much of anything in that, they just said they are able to do it now

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334

Are you saying it's a slippery slope? If they can stop at any time, it's not a slippery slope. They've made no promise to add disabled characters, and people will ask for whatever they want regardless of any set precedent. Also, keep in mind that this thread in particular isn't necessarily asking for LGBT representation as much as it is calling out BHVR for what seems to be an empty promise.

• Mooks

They will eventually do it. And even if they do it for the money, no one gets harmed by it, so whatever. All it does is bring diversity and enrichen the lore, make it feel more natural, real.

and -while the company may not care- the people working at that company do care, you can tell by the way they were talking and writing about this topic.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,820

I don't totally disagree, but there's a larger context in the LGBT+ community where the message for the past century has been, "You will never be explicitly included -- the closest you can come is not being explicitly excluded, so just be happy with that." And there's a really long tradition of reading into popular media and trying to invent your own queer representation in any space that isn't explicitly claimed for heterosexuals. For a lot of people, it feels like the time has come when that shouldn't be necessary and everyone should be explicitly included in the way that straight people always have been.

In the case of DBD specifically, the message from the devs says that they intended not to explicitly identify any of the characters as gay or straight, but then they messed up and explicitly identified some of them as straight without thinking about it, which they recognize as a problem. The question people are asking themselves when they're frustrated by that isn't, "Are gay people explicitly excluded from the DBD universe?" it's "Are they explicitly included in the same way that straight people are?" And right now, they're not.

• MadLordJack

As far as I am aware, none of the characters are straight. Some are in heterosexual relationships. That's a big, big difference.

• MadLordJack

I repeat my earlier comment: who cares what idiots think. That's their mistake to make, so don't make it yourself.

• Mooks

True, there is a big difference. But the point that multiple heterosexual relationships or hints (eg Ace’s cosmetic descriptions) have been mentioned still stands

• MadLordJack

Yeah, and I definitely think it'll be wierd if that keeps being the case. I just hate that people so often forget that LGBT+ isn't just LG. That's an appliance company, not a social movement.

Maybe it stems from my personal experience of underpresentarion and getting ignored, maybe I'm just being too sensitive for my own good. I don't know any more.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Does it even matter? What does sexuality have to do with repairing gens and looping? I play Jake because I picked him from day 1, I don't care what he likes sexually or what his political stance is.

• ChocoNuts
    ChocoNuts Member Posts: 1

Why do you care what gender/sexuality the characters of the game are? Having straight or gay or trans people doesn’t improve or worsen the experience of the game. It’s literally pointless to care about something like this. I’d rather them fix the game than focus on adding LGBTQ characters to please a few people

• BumpEmOff99

I'm saying, that basically, they will keep getting requests to add representation. So it's kind of a slippery slope, because they shouldn't be focusing on characters based off of sexuality and nationality. And technically, they haven't promised a lgbtq character, they suggested they would be open to it. The developers have said they were going to do lots and haven't done it yet.

• BumpEmOff99

But none of the characters are exclusive straight, even if they are in a relationship with the opposite sex, it doesn't mean they have to be straight.

• ProfoundEnding

I wouldn't call people who assume those things arrogant. A majority of the population is straight. Wasn't an estimated number of LGBT people only at 4%? I honestly haven't checked in a while.

Regardless, most people can tell I'm gay right away because I'm feminine. However, my boyfriend is very masculine and people assume he is straight all the time. He doesn't mind correcting them. Nor would I mind if people assumed the same about me.

• NemIsLive
    NemIsLive Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2020

Just add a pride of flag charm. Change someone's lore in the archives to make them gay. Tada? Ace already dresses extremely flamboyant there's no reason to dedicate an entire new character to this promise.

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334
    edited November 2020

That's not what a slippery slope is though, you're misusing the term. A slipperly slope would be something like "We're giving full control of our creative department to GLAAD to ensure we have adequate LGBT representation." because at that point, they can't stop. GLAAD has control now and BHVR is sliding down the slipperly slope, with no ability to stop.

Like I said, people will ask for things regardless of whether there's a precedent for it. And I repeat myself, this isn't asking, this is reminding BHVR of a promise, so this matter is besides the point anyway.

• BumpEmOff99

Its not a argument, I'm just saying it might end up going down that road.

• MadLordJack

I'm not saying what's currently there is adequate. This whole thing started because I pointed out that no-one is confirmed as straight, and assuming them as such is doing us all a disservice.

• MadLordJack

Making assumptions without evidence is arrogance, at least in my opinion. And that rule applies to everything. You're pretending to know something you cannot possibly know. How isn't it?

• ProfoundEnding

Arrogance implies a sense of superiority, self importance, or entitlement. None of which I would call someone who assumes ones sexuality.

• druggedpug69
    druggedpug69 Member Posts: 155

What if the entity is gay and that's why it brings the smexiest guys around. Except for Quentin. Definitely not Quentin.

• Bingbongbong
    Bingbongbong Member Posts: 202

Inclusion is a great thing and DBD does this great when it comes to ethnicities. It'd be nice for them to also include LGBT+ Characters.

• MadLordJack

So someone that thinks they know something they cannot possibly know is not acting superior, self important or entitled? Why? Because they are right most of the time? I don't care if it's about sexuality or what I had for breakfast, an assumption is pretty arrogant when you get down to what it means to make one: you have no real information or evidence about a conclusion you are asserting. A safe assumption is still an assumption, and still subject to being potentially wrong.

Not that it stops people from making them, but that's their mistake to make. And mine, of course - though not about someone's identity. I long ago learned that nothing about humans can be taken at face value.

• NoObzBoiYT
    NoObzBoiYT Member Posts: 198

Stop trying to force this stuff into the game. Isn’t Yui gay, there you have one.

This discussion has been closed.