Chapter 18 will be incomplete upon release...so why not delay it?

The PTB revealed some very glaring issues with the twins. Survivors could take Victor hostage, Victor couldn't interact with lockers, and charging Victor's attack slowed him down too much. These are all things that BHVR addressed that are being fixed in a future update, yet the chapter is still being pushed out come December 1st.

Why???

The chapter is incomplete. The whole reason why you have a PTB is so that gamers can test out the mechanics and bring to light any possible issues, bugs, or glitches. Kudos for listening to the community and acknowledging these issues and fixing them, but what point is there in rushing something out that you yourself acknowledged needs to be fixed?

It just all reeks of greed. There's zero incentive in rushing out a broken product unless all you care about is the money. Vote with your wallets fellow DBD players, and hold off on purchasing the twins until BHVR rightly fixes what they said they were going to fix. There's so much changing with the twins that it almost resembles a full-on rework, so there's no reason in purchasing this chapter on day one.

BHVR has a track record of releasing content and fixing known issues on the back end. As gamers we rightly call out AAA developers when they pull this kind of shady business practice, and we should be doing the same for indie developers too.

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Exactly. Delays suck, but it shows that you care about your product. CDPR delayed cyberpunk multiple times, but they wanted to be able to confidently say that the game you get your hands on will resemble the game that they had envisioned from day one. Whereas with BHVR, they acknowledge that the upcoming chapter is broken and that it needs fixing, but they're releasing it anyway. That tells me that you don't care about your product, let alone your community.

• SweetTerror

It's your money and you can rightly spend it how you see fit, but you realize that it's that kind of attitude that incentivizes publishers to push out games that are broken because they figure that gamers like yourself will be fine knowing that they'll just fix it on the back end. Remember Anthem?

• SweetTerror

You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon". I don't know what answer you're looking for, but obviously I don't agree with your choice.

Like I said it's your money. You're putting your faith in BHVR that they'll apply the update relatively quickly, but when was the last time BHVR did anything quickly? The MMR is supposedly a priority and they've been working on that for months.

Simply put, I refuse to purchase something that even the developer acknowledged is broken and needs to be changed. It makes zero sense for them to release this to market.

• TAG

You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon".

I most certainly did not.

• SweetTerror

All right I see what's going on. You don't want to have a conversation? Fine, but I'm not responding to these short troll sentences.

• TAG

Excuse me? I did not say in my original post that I have no problem in purchasing the next chapter as-is. I asked what the difference was between the balance changes stated by the devs being pushed with the live release of the Chapter and pushing it out a little bit later.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

I'm fine with the mechanics being there and lack of animation but no mechanic I know the gate thing is big but lockers are more common and I really hope that the mechanic are available upon release because animations can be done after but who's gonna buy something that doesn't work properly

• JoeyBob
    JoeyBob Member Posts: 477

New killer does look boring but I'm buying dlc anyways.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241

Don't buy until gets fixed then. Is that simple. A lot of players don't know or care about it.

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422

I love that they made a clear point that the release date can be subject to change and it's confirmed, yet they still decide to release a killer with a power that doesn't work.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

I'm pretty sure they are following a roadmap internally, but I hope it gets delayed because the recent changes they wanna add are not enough, especially 45s to recall victor

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326

Money. If they delay it then that delays the profits from the chapter which would probably piss off the people at the top in Behaviour. What they’re doing is a bit scummy but I have a feeling it’s not the Dev’s choice.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710
    edited November 2020

Why exactly is it incomplete though?

just because they announced changes based on PTB feedback that they want to add to the killer and those changes may take some time because they were not intended before?

edit: have they actually confirmed Dec 1st to be the release date now?

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

Probably because they're trying to rush the new maps and the killer so they can see their performance live

• SweetTerror

Both the locker and the taking Victor hostage issue are two of the biggest problems with this killer. I'm glad it's being fixed, but why rush something to release that's just going to change drastically in the future? It doesn't make any sense.

• SweetTerror

The PTB is basically used as quality testing since they clearly don't heavily test their game in-house. The changes coming with the new killer resembles a full-on rework. If it was just a few bugs that needed ironing out then I could see them still releasing the chapter (it would be annoying, but I would understand).

There were multiple leaks that revealed that the new chapter will be released December 1st. Obviously plans could change and I hope it does, but next Tuesday will have been roughly a month since the PTB ended, so time-wise there's no reason for the leaks to not be true.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

They benefit more from cosmetics, most of us get the chapter for shards and let's not forget that even if someone get the chapter for money is cheaper than a cosmetic (nosense)

• SweetTerror

But you see that's the thing, some people are counting on these fixes coming soon, but when has BHVR ever done anything soon? Keep in mind that the MMR is a priority and yet BHVR has been working on this for months. The recent perk changes were originally announced at the beginning of the year, and yet only recently did we see that change.

If BHVR could give an actual date then that would be one thing, but right now all they keep saying is "future" and "tentative", because we'll be lucky if we see these changes in the mid chapter update.

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288

probably the reason is that the fix is not “that” soon, and new content needs to come out for the seasonality of the player base.

Considering that we are still waiting for a fix to blight POV after 4 months, it’s impossible to know how long the locker’s animations will take.

• SweetTerror

Yeah I'll never understand why the cosmetics are almost double the price of what the DLC usually is. I'll also never understand why some of the more nicer cosmetics aren't included in the battle passes. That would incentivize me to purchase a battle pass more since I have no desire to spend $15 on a skin.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I think only the locker interaction won't be there on release, all the other changes will.

• SweetTerror

Probably. Yes BHVR will see the number of players rise, but everybody will be playing a Killer that is not only frustrating to play, but it won't resemble what the killer will be in the future. All BHVR is going to do is succeed at more and more gamers complaining about this killer. If they thought gamers' voices were loud after the PTB, then BHVR is in for a rude awakening if they push this out next week.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

The problem is now everyone that didn't already know about that MASSIVE design oversight now knows. And its already easy enough to tell if Victors near. Hear weird gurgles? Run and jump in a locker. Safe. If it isn't included in some form. Even with missing assets. This will be the most botched killer launch since Freddy.

This'll be the first chapter I'm not buying at launch. It's clearly half-baked and after Blight this is shocking to see. Still doesn't even have an original map, even with existing realm assets.

This will be the first time EVER I haven't bought the chapter pack day 1. And my first time buying a character with shards.

Maybe I'll get Elodie with shards but not even bothering with the Twins.

• SweetTerror

That's great, but that locker change resembles one of the more glaring issues with the Twins. Until that change is implemented, all anyone has to do is jump into a locker and be perfectly safe from Victor.

I'd much rather have all of these glaring issues fixed first before purchasing this DLC. If that means waiting a few weeks or a few months (this is BHVR we're talking about here so most likely it's going to take months) then so be it.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

But that's not what they said, they said:

What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?

They're basically saying there's nothing to worry about because these changes will eventually come through. Until then, you can either play a different killer or just be patient.

• SweetTerror

Yeah the Blight was another example of a botched experiment/release. For starters the devs had made changes to how the Blight played, but those changes were never implemented into the PTB. Gamers couldn't accurately give constructive feedback since they didn't have access to the same build that the devs did. Plus it was recently announced that the Blight's POV will be changing. Obviously this is great news for those that play the Blight, but this is something that should have been fixed prior to release.

• gibblywibblywoo

I think the PTB thing was when Mcclean simply said something along the lines of the Blight in the PTB was "different" to the one he'd been tinkering with that week of the PTB. It was miscontrued iirc. People thought they had launched a weeks old version.

But yeah the POV thing bothered me. It's getting fixed though. And he's still both fun and a threat even without it.

• SweetTerror

This is the last thing I'll say on this matter because I don't want this conversation piece to turn into pointless trolling or arguing, but the point this person was trying to make is that you might as well purchase the chapter because the changes will come soon. Having faith that those changes will come soon is something that I'm not comfortable doing, and spending money on a killer that will receive a full-on rework at a later date is something I'm not prepared to give.

• Zylance
    Zylance Member Posts: 64

Would be interesting to see stats on how many but with shards and how many buy with money.

Does the average DBD players earn enough ingame to buy all DLC`s like that? I would guess no.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187
    edited November 2020

I was actually willing to discuss it until you indirectly accused me of trolling.... so thanks for that

• SweetTerror

That's fair. Obviously we'll have to wait and see exactly what changes were implemented once the chapter goes live, but like you said there were issues with the Killer that some found more annoying than others. You're able to look past the locker issue whereas some clearly can not. For me I prefer all issues to be rectified before putting any money down.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and when I spend my money on something I expect it to work properly from day one, not weeks or months from now. Not saying you're wrong, this is just who I am.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Gotta get that money for dlc and cosmetics. Same reason as always

• Biggs
    Biggs Member Posts: 286

Its not getting Fully fixed.. Ges fow will be fixed only when you carry survivor which once again like why bhvr.. So no its not fixed...

• Biggs
    Biggs Member Posts: 286

No point to buy this DLC with money like why? Im ňoy gonna support their greediness and incompetence once again.. And you shoudlnt either...

• gibblywibblywoo

You may have misread a thread that was on here a day or so ago. Currently his fov IS fixed when carrying a survivor. They're reworking all his animations to be like that.

• DeadBobDaylight
    DeadBobDaylight Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2020

Don't be so quick to assign malice. Games of dbd's size and platform base require very hard deadlines from big publishers.

Likely, they're unable to delay because they're locked into timelines with Sony or Microsoft, etc, that would require a very long reset time.

It's the reason we get Day 1 patches on basically every game now, they get the ready-to-publish game approved by the big platform holders weeks or months ahead of time and often a giant like Sony doesn't care about individual companies, they want all partners to hold to guidelines. Which sometimes means no changes X amount of time before launch date.

So, I wouldn't be so quick to call the devs greedy. After all, if they want to play in the big boys' sandbox they have to play by their rules.

Also, guys...this is a business. They don't make dbd for fun. If there is no financial incentive the devs who make the game we all play for hours a week, they stop. They have to eat. They have to live.

They're people, think about that before youre so vitriolic. It's unbecoming of the whole community.

Edit: forgot an important sentence, lol.

• DeadBobDaylight
    DeadBobDaylight Member Posts: 21

And, of course, by all means if you're not happy with a product don't buy it.

But let's not crucify people just trying to do their job because they fudge up. It's literally a luxury service.

It'll get sorted.

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334

you literally did: "What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?"

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

Money.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Simple. The timing of the remaining balance changes are not impacted by if the chapter is out or not when they work on those changes. Either way the "complete" Killer will come out on the same day.

So. Is it bad for them to let you play a Killer before it's full release?

Because the alternative to that is not even having the option of playing the new Killer until however long it takes them to add in the changes they were going to add anyways.

Trust matters a lot from your PoV. But you aren't the one making the decision, BHVR is. And BHVR can 100% trust itself. If you don't want to play the Killer early then just wait to buy her. Those that are buying her are opting in. Why deny those players the option to play the new Killer just because she's not quite as strong as she should be?

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    edited November 2020

This is what @TAG is trying to say when they say it doesn't matter.

Not delaying a game to improve it when the plan is to release it and move on matters, since the game will be bad forever as a result.

But not delaying something because the problem will be fixed either way just makes sense. It's what no mans sky did and they didn't even have significant financial incentive to do that.

Either way there is some specific but unknown date at which the Killer will be in it's proper state, the only difference is if she is playable prior to that date, and there simply isn't a downside to letting her be.

• TAG

I am asking what difference it makes if the balance changes happen shortly after the live release. It is not a rhetorical question.