Tapper's krampus skin is $15... DBD itself is $20

You know something is wrong when a skin costs nearly as much as the game itself.

Comments

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

is only of the big problems this game have, but in the end is a skin, u dont need it, is not a perk.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

On Nintendo Switch the game is $40 (with more unlocked right away but still pricy) so for me seeing the Trapper's Krampus skin is only $15 doesn't feel as much. Although it is kinda nasty that on most platforms it's almost as much as the game.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

in Gears 3 the entire weapon skin set collection would cost more than the base game. It's not like you need the skins to play better, they're just cosmetic.

• Tbh I think it looks silly; when he has a mound of snow on him under the midday sun of the Dead Dog Saloon map....walking across desert terrain frosty and snow covered lol.

I wish there was a snowless version folks could get instead.

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,565

I don't think killer legendary skins are worth it just because of the lack of seeing your own skin compared to survivors. I still think Lisa is the best legendary so far.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

The question is: If it was half the price would twice as many people buy it? If it was a quarter of the price would four times as many people buy it.

I wish they would test the waters by putting a skin this good out really cheaply.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,154

That's the thing for me too. In games like league of legends you can see the skin you bought. A killer skin is more like a status symbol to show to others or something. I myself don't get anything but the weapon or the arm to see, except in a mori.

Never bought any skin and if I would just buy my favourit survivor skin and that's it.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

The test would be wasted money. This system was tested in many games and this was the result. It is no coincidence that other games sell their top skins with 15-20 too.

Whales (players who spend really much) make the money

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Well then don't buy it.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

I think you should be happy that you get the base game so cheap.

Dont get me wrong im not buying skins with money. But i didnt do it when skins were sold for 1€ 10 years ago either.

I preferred when you could get skins with playing. Sure i earn money faster then i can earn a skin in a game, but it isnt the same. Something is different when you achieved something for a skin.

In the end business is business. You sell your work for the best price. When people pay 15€, then they are the problem. It is only a skin.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,084

Well, you need to buy DBD to play it. But you dont need the Krampus-Skin zu play it. It is entirely optional and so its fine if Cosmetics cost some money. And I prefer expensive Cosmetics over expensive DLCs.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

League of legends is free, but an ultimate skin costs 20$

So what? Just don't buy cosmetics/skins lol

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

I got that skin. At first I was furious because they released this skin with visual bugs attached but still charging so much for it. They fixed it now, great!

Enjoying it very much ever since. Given it´s price, I was fully expecting new animations, sounds and maybe redesigned bear traps, but bottom line is it doesnt stand out too much from other cosmetics. Still looks awesome.

You don´t need to buy it if you don´t want to or you deem it too expensive.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

As long ppl are paying these prices, there's no reason for BHVR to change it. Which is fine for me.

In the end they're just cosmetics. And even if you don't swim in money and want a certain cosmetic so bad, you can still wait for discount.

The only Legendary i bought was the "Reborn" for Heather as i'm a big SH fan. And beeing a Huntress main maybe a Legendary for her someday.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Well if they would make more money with a lower price then it would probably cost less. People are prepared to pay more so it cost more, it's not strange at all.

• XXXPrinnyGodXXX
    XXXPrinnyGodXXX Member Posts: 31

In most paid games that arent exploiting the player base content is free minus dlcs. This game just nickel and dimes you at every turn. You would thing maybe some free good stuff to build good will with its player base might happen especially after broken and unbalanced ######### day in and day out. But no they just give comically low blood points.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767
    edited December 2020

Let me ask everyone here a question:

Would you rather cheap skins and an expensive base game + DLC, costing up to 3x more than they do right now, or would you rather the base game + DLC remain relatively cheap (relatively being the word here) letting you get the perks you need to and have a better game experience, with skins cost more?

I know for sure I'd rather have the perks I want for cheaper than the OPTIONAL skins I want for cheaper.

• Slashstreetboy

Isn´t the full game like 150 Euros if you are not the kind of person to grind for 2k hrs?

I understand how people are upset with the increase in monetisation, but on the other hand, we´re talking skins here. It´s not like you need them, after all.

• GoodBoyKaru

Hence why I said relatively. If the base game+DLC that you needed to get all perks unlocked is 150€ then with the more expensive game+DLC route with cheaper (optional) skins it'd cost about 450€ to unlock everything but don't worry shirtless David is cheaper.

I know which I prefer.

• Slashstreetboy

You´re using "relatively" quite loosely, then. I can´t think of any other game costing this match to get all the content, but I´m not into this kind of thing much anymore so maybe there is one.

Currently, we have content with hefty costs as well as very expensive cosmetics, that´s why ppl are upset.

For you and me it´s no big deal, we´ve been around long enough and the addition of a single DLC every couple of weeks is not too much, but for new players it must be overwhelming. Imagine trying to have a good experience as Killer as a new player, you need so many DLCs to grind through to at least get to a basic level of viability. On the Survivor side it´s better, the base Survivors have great perks.

• GoodBoyKaru

Tbf, Sims 4. That costs so so so much more to get into and get all the content of.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

This, 100%. I rarely buy killer skins because I'll only ever see the weapon, or if I mori, which is extrememly rare. I bought a PH skin mainly because I'm a major SH Fanboy and PH was a favourite from SH2 so it was a must. I also bought Lisa for Cheryl but beyond that I rarely buy any skins. Most of my skins are either from the Shards I earned, or the Rift.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Fair, but 15 euros for a skin that doesn't change anything except the look? Ok.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

I agree. The krampus skin looks amazing, but you don't get to see it in the game nor do you get to see it during a mori animation. The last thing I want to do is spend $15 on something that I can't look at while I play.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Going by how other games do it, the base game should have more characters included for free.

• FondaDix
    FondaDix Member Posts: 173

Oh yeah there has always been a huge disparity in price. The office is in Canada and they charge US dollars...

• FondaDix

Honestly, it's a travesty that they charge more for a skin than they do for a chapter.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I would rather pay more for skins and less for a DLC.

One thing is a cosmetic and the other thing actual playable content

• FondaDix

Yeah yes of course. But that's not the issue. The issue is that the skins are overpriced to an exorbitant amount. You're kind of stating the obvious.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

I know, it doesn't make sense. If they want to keep doing this they should make the base game F2P.

• HelterSmelter
    HelterSmelter Member Posts: 38

That krampus skin just gonna make you feel even worse when you get dunked on by a SWF flashlight team and realize a skin has no bearing on your ability to play.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    edited December 2020

The only time I have ever paid for cosmetics was like 3 years ago when I was playing Friday the 13th regularly (when it still had a future). For $3.00 you could buy sets of beach wear or Halloween costumes for most of the councelors, and I did it to support a game I liked not because I particularly wanted or needed them. That’s about the price range I could do for DBD, but I would be willing to spend twice that amount for a little bit less than F13 offered. At least it would still be a more reasonable price point than what they’re doing now.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

Yeah, but it isn’t any less silly than survivor characters wearing mini skirts on Ormand. At least Krampus being a supernatural character accounts for snow that doesn’t melt.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

It doesn’t look good though. That and the clown purple rift skin this month. Whenever I see those I can’t stop laughing. I can’t focus on anything else in the game. So, maybe it’s worth it after all?

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    edited December 2020

I buy them when, I can afford it and , i buy killer skin's for survivor's honesty .

Edit sorry :Take Blood n Guts for instance I don't necessarily like it because of the intestines around the head ,but I like how it looks like a red headband around her head,I would have went with a blood soaked scarf of Madeline's from the event.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

Agreed. Man if that lawsuit never happened I never would have played dbd.

Next thing they’re going to pull will be “limited time outfits” and charge $20 for them. Just wait

• Chechia
    Chechia Member Posts: 234

Well... skins are the main income for the Devs. Besides from new Chapters and Rift''s there isn't any reason to spend money in this game. And that's a good thing. It's not pay to win.

I would honestly not care to spend more money for a skin and support the Devs if there would be any good reason to support them. But sadly there isn't at the moment.

I would love to by skins but they are not seeing any money from me until they deserve it.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

I was gonna get the Krampus skin, but jus went and bought a pack of socks instead.

Eventually the price will drop and I’ll turn Trapper into a horned, anthropomorphic, misbehaving-child terrifier

• MrCrazyCat62
    MrCrazyCat62 Member Posts: 168

Tbh I hate price gouging on in-game cosmetics. But almost every game does it. And if it means more content, and better cosmetics in the future then why not.

As long as the prices don't get too ridiculous I don't see the need sharpen the pitchforks.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

LoL skins are infinitive more expensive then the game itself.

Doesn't stop people from buying those skins.

It's optional, if you don't like the price don't buy. Skins are more a way to support the devs then anything else