Why the new hud is worse then the current one shown with an example.

Options
AChaoticKiller
AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
edited January 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

before i start yes i just took screenshots and used MS paint and it's poorly done but really this is all I need to get the point across.

As you can see there are a lot of things on the hud you need to look at, you can ignore # 3, 2, and 5 but the gen icon, survivor states, and your power are really far from each other. this makes it so if you want to check everything or your easily distracted by your hud you have to go all over your screen to check everything. now lets look at the current hud (again just a screenshot from YT)

As you can see there are way less things you need to look at in fact most of the time you only need to look at #3 which has the survivor states, gens, and power all nicely compact into one corner. you rarely have to look at the EGC timer, points, or your perks but the point is all the main things you need to look at are all together. If they really wanted too they could even put in the hook count right next to the power icon to make it even more compact.

My point is the new hud is simply too spread out and is not user friendly, they can fix this in a few ways.

1. They provide better locations of these icons, they could even give us multiple options for their placement or even let us put them where we want.
  2. They let us switch back to using the current hud and as suggested simply put the hook count next to the power or somewhere else. Many of us like the compact placement of the icons it looks good and provides all the info we need to know throughout most of the game.
  3. they can give us a mix of both the old and new hud's. something like simply replacing the old icons with the new ones, this could also be paired with the 1st suggestion as an option of how you would want the hud to look.

Edit: A lot of people also don't like the new survivor portraits and after seeing them a few times i agree, the current ones are fit the feel of the game better and are also more practical since you just have to glance at them to get info while with the new ones you have to check if they are flashing red which both looks bad and feels lazy. There is also an issue that causes for color blind people since they might not be able to tell at all if the icons are even flashing red. Also as a lot of people said it feels like those portraits belong in a mobile game, they just... don't look right.

Post edited by AChaoticKiller on

Comments

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
    Options

At least the hook counter's nice

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

T

I

T

L

E

• NeonFlowerPower
    NeonFlowerPower Member Posts: 135
    Options

I'm fine with adding survivor icons/hook stages. But please keep the elements in the same spots they currently are at. The HUD we have now looks really good already, this one looks like a mobile game. Please don't change it.

• NeonFlowerPower
    NeonFlowerPower Member Posts: 135
    edited January 2021
    Options

Actually, I know I'm double posting but this guy brings up a good point. I agree with this 100%.

EDIT: The guy who was quoted with this post I mean.

• freddymybae
    freddymybae Member Posts: 613
    Options

i agree like most killer powers are right mosue click and the power icon is on the left seems wierd to me

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    edited January 2021
    Options

It looks nice but I have two specific gripes with it. Obvious disclaimer being I'd have to play with it to actually know whether I'm just being nitpicky or if these are actually problems.

1) The information you want is all over the screen. I liked that all the information you needed was available at a quick glance in the one corner as opposed to having to look at top left, center top, then bottom right for my perks to see if Spine Chill is lit up or something or bottom left to check my tokens/ammo on my power as killer.

2) The injured status on the HUD. I feel like something that's more immediately identifiable could be done as opposed to just making their portrait red. As killer I really liked seeing the injured icons and I foresee this change as making it difficult to spot the immediate moment they heal at a quick glance unlike with the separate injured icons, which is incredibly valuable information.

• elasticheart
    elasticheart Member Posts: 145
    Options

I feel like it's gonna be so annoying for killer to see those little icons on top left. I'd say the current UI we have is the best. Wish we could optimize our own HUD, or even just disable the entire HUD for more hardcore challenge? That would also make it easier to capture screenshots not to worry about survivors icons or perks block the scenery.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,634
    Options

While I think that it is just a matter of getting used to the new design, I would also appreciate an option to have a classic HUD. I dont need to know via the game what I have to do. I also dont need to know how many times other people are hooked, I am able to do that on my own.

So I always prefer to have minimal information available and it looks indeed distracting if the game tells me all the time what I have to do or provides me information I already know.

• Anzardinho
    Anzardinho Member Posts: 10
    Options

The old UI managed to fit the vibes from the game while also giving out useful information, but the new UI feels extremely bland and uninspired to look at. The hook counter is nice, but they could have gotten it into the old UI, just how Hexy did it with the BOTB tournament.

Any thoughts about the new UI?

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

I have a question about the hook counter.

Can only survivors see the individual hook progress ?

• AChaoticKiller
    edited January 2021
    Options

I like the icons being changed but i hate the placement of them all, i much prefer the old version of everything being compacted into the one corner of your screen. It would also be cool if we could revert it so we can keep using the old hud as some players prefer the classic look of it.

i don't think it would be that hard to implement and giving us more control over where our hud icons are is something everyone wants..

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

Reading the Development Diary I'd like to voice some criticism towards the planned/in development changes to the HUD:

1. The portraits are where the discord interface is on PC, meaning being in a call will very potentially hide the portraits and statuses.
    2. While portraits would be a good idea, but I think if it's just the standard portrait, it'd be just gobbling more resources (fps drops ahoy) without being really useful if you have various survivors playing the same character (in different outfits). Though changing the portraits to what the survivor in question looks like would only eat up more resources. So maybe have it be an optional thing whether or not one wants portraits or plain icons?

The hook counter is a good idea. Can we get one for totems too?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,541
    Options

The killer will see the overall hook progress, so not the specific hook count.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    Options

It gives killers that play for 12 hooks a metric on the screen to gauge how well they did without just having to pat themselves on the back. I think it's a pretty healthy change to make no kills or 1-2 kills feel better and I like it.

• AChaoticKiller
    Options

I like the look of it but like why is everything so far apart it makes it so annoying to check your hud.

The best thing about the old hub was how it was all compact, you knew everything from just a quick glance at the corner of your screen but now your eyes have to do like a full circle to look at everything.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 803
    edited January 2021
    Options

It will take some time to get used to it but overall it does look cleaner than before. People are just resistant to any kind of change.

My only concern is whether the character portraits in the top left will conflict/share screen space with the Discord overlay. I know you can move the Discord overlay to the right, but that makes me feel like all icky and stuff. I'd rather the portraits were more mid-left than top-left, eg:

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,541
    Options

You are definitely right about the resistant to change - also, we've had this HUD for over 4 years, so of course we've got used to it and people usually have a knee jerk, emotional reaction to change. I do think there are some very valid points made and I hope that when the PTB goes live, that people will give the new HUD a chance and test it properly and see where/if there are any major issues.

You make a good point about other overlays working with it.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

I think that hook counter pips or marks on the survivor portrait would make more sense than just that overall hook counter, but i guess some people would fear it could lead to "tunneling". Its also not placed next to the generator display.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

You can put that into the Tally screen. Killer don't progress linear with hooks. Some kill their first survivor with the third or the ninth hook. The counter is not really gameplay relevant and is therefore unnecessary information.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    Options

Why? Is it too much to know which of the 3 prestige claudettes just got unhooked 30 seconds ago? I don't see any reason why killers shouldn't have access to individual hook counts at a glance.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Does the Killer get to see the hook counter as well? This would be super duper nice as a QoL for Pig to know who is on Death Hook and does not need a RBT.

• oldcoyotebones
    oldcoyotebones Member Posts: 1
    Options

I don't mind the new HUD update - but I wish it was a bit more transparent, that way it could be a bit easier to see through and not block, even though small, areas of the map that could be crucial in spotting a survivor or killer.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367
    Options

Yes I completely agree, I mean no offense to whoever worked on the new design but it just looks awful. Its way too distracting and just looks downright bad.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    Options

According to Mandy, killers can only see the total hook count. So screw killers I guess?

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

"Please, the new HUD (no offence) looks so horrible I´d even pay $$ to be able to play using the old one."

Don't give them ideas 🤣

• AChaoticKiller
    Options

I would like it if we could get a combination of the old and new hud, the placement for icons on the old hud is SO much better but i like the look of the new hud.

Like why is everything so spread apart? In the old hud all you have to do is look at the corner and you know everything you need but with this new one combined with the smaller icons you have to spend more time on them and they are more distracting.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544
    Options

Yeah, I don't think I agree with the blinking light on injured survivors. Actually if it was just a solid red, and not blinking, it would probably be better for me. Although I do recognize that this change just screws over colorblind people more, so even though the change I suggested would be good for me, it wouldn't be good for them. Since there are going to be customizable options, it shouldn't be hard to implement some type of icon system so that players don't get distracted by the bright flashing light at the upper left of the screen, or they are colorblind and can't discern it as well. Having it also just be a solid color will improve it a lot.

• Liqhtninq
    Liqhtninq Member Posts: 94
    Options

Adding different HUD options would resolve this nicely so you can switch from older versions like it is now to the newer ones, whatever you prefer.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Can you clarify what that means? Is it just what Killers already can see, or has something changed in that regard?

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561
    Options

In my opinion the only thing they had to do to the current hud was add a hook counter to it and that was it, they could have added the character portraits to the current hud we have instead of moving them to the top left side of the screen.

• jrinkwater
    jrinkwater Member Posts: 314
    Options

Love the LOOK of the new UI.. portraits/hook. What I do NOT like is the placement. Keep the same look at the bottom please. I don't want visual clutter when I am looping whether kill/survivor

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

I dislike having so many HUD elements be on the upper half of the screen. Watching the segments where the HUD 2.0 was visible in the Dev Tape, the new placements felt really distracting and were constantly drawing my eye away from what's important (the central area of the screen). By spreading everything out, it has made the new HUD feel more visually busy than it used to be.

I think the location of the killer's hook counter is fine and moving the score events to the upper right is an improvement, but I strongly dislike where the survivor icons and gen/escape counter have been moved to. In my opinion, both of these things should stay in the bottom left where they've always been (though this would likely require revisiting the hook counter that survivors see).