Am i the only one worried about the MMR system?

Options

I dont know about you but my experience with the MMR system when it was first implemented was horrible. Im sure the devs have tried to fix it and i hope they have but the moment i heard 'MMR' it was like a war flashback

Comments

• WantToKnow
    WantToKnow Member Posts: 48
    Options

For me It doesnt work. Each Killer should have a own MMR, when u play a killer the first time It should pair u with yellows or greens (the only indicator we players got). I played first time Legion last days and I met like 75% of my games were against red ranks... Same thing with my main killer and I lose every match heavy against them 5 times in a row and I still get red ranks with thousands hour playtime...It feels like the MMR system doesnt adjust right. We will see

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

When I see I’m getting lobbied up with players who have between 5-10 trophies, I’ll know MMR isn’t functioning properly.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714
    Options

I was having fun vs rank 20 so i don't mind it

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

I don't think you should be paired to totally green players. Killer fundamentals are the same across all killers for the most part. A killer who has 1000 hour on Trapper will have a lot of skill transferred over the first time he plays Pyramid Head. You would easily decimate low rank survivors who aren't good at the game even just M1'ing your way through the entire match.

• WantToKnow
    WantToKnow Member Posts: 48
    Options

U dont want to win only with the new killer, u want to learn and master their unique power. And It feels like a punishment that u choose a new killer, even if u just want to do the daily ritual. The MMR should start at 0 Playtime with a killer with even 0 MMR. If u win then too easy the next games it should adjust it right. But now it feels like I play the same games or even worse with a new killer and that doesnt leads a player to try something new.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hrm. I kind of think their matchmaking is so bad now (and when they tried MMR) that it hardly matters. I think the new matchmaking will be zero matchmaking, i.e. first one in is first one out. With Rank meaning literally "nothing," there is zero reason to believe that they have come up with any better system. What they have done is simply created a situation where we can't check their math and know if there is or isn't a system. Do you see my point? And at this juncture do we really care?

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I think everyone is worried, first time was awful and I was one of the people who said "come on lets give it a try, it may work, lets not be too hasty on our judgement" now Im willing to give it a try again but im very sceptikal.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

I mean it's not like matchmaking is any good now - yesterday I was on my rank 5 killer and was matched with a 15, 18, 18, and 20 survivor - seems fair right? LOL.

Today I was on a 4 man SWF of 2 purple & 2 red rank survivors - we were matched with a 17 killer.... the killer gave up after a few mins when we were down to one gen and he still had only hit one survivor...once.

So no I am not nervous; because it truly can't get much worse than it is right now.

• ClarityOfWill
    ClarityOfWill Member Posts: 198
    Options

The problem with the MMR system is it's completely redundant. Consider the following:

• We're told that the current system doesn't accurate match player skill. Fair enough, a universal point I think we all agree on.
    • The new system will better suited to matchmaking based on equal skill (a rating system essentially). Again, fair enough.
    • Now here's the issue, the new system is taking data from the old system to act as a starting point. Understandable, since it's need to have some data to go on. .
    • However, if the old system worked, then a new system wouldn't be needed. So, logically speaking, if the data being fed into the new system is "bad" as a by-product of the current matchmaking then surely the new system is going to be a complete shitshow? Surely it would make more sense to have fixed the current one instead.
  • whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

So right, you are. My play time drastically reduced since they deleted rank 1 games and forced me into this current cesspool. I'm reduced to eyebrow lifting at this new mmr news.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

As long as it's not as bad as the first one I'm good with it, it was really sad for new survivors to put them against experienced killers.

Short story: I used to 1 hook tunnel mori blendettes, nothing against Claudettes but I do against Blendies the ones that do hide and have very camo clothes, so during the first MMR test I saw a Blendy with a key, she was using the brown pants and green shirt from the store also for me keys = mori, so I went in to the match with an ebony mori just in case they pick it up and well I downed 2 in like 50 seconds with slinger, then I down the other 2 without them doing gens, at the endgame screen, I saw that the highest survivor was rank 18 I felt horrible for killing a new player like that.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

No I think all are worried about this. Last time I was rank 1 on both sides and by far the worst was playing survivor it was super frustraiting. But killer was pretty unfun also, but whats new there 😀

• Waldbeere
    Waldbeere Member Posts: 168
    Options

Of course the current matchmaking isn't good. It's pretty simple rank comparision. I'm pretty sure it's absolutely not trivial to to add a good, fair mmr in an asymetrical game.

For example: For a symmetrical game like chest you can match a player with 4000 points to a player with 3900 points. You know that the 4000 points player is slightly better.

In the other side, how do you match 4 players with mixed mmr against 1 player. I mean, can you say 4 players with a mmr round about 4000 points are equally strong to a killer with 4000 points? Maybe there are only mixed mmrs online for a matchmaking, which will make it even more difficult. Also the actions both roles have to do have to be measured in a different way.

Im my opinion a good base of the mmr is needed. Than it can be adjusted in the right direction. I would be happy, if it will work better then now.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

Where did you get the info from that the new system takes data from the old system? That would be interesting, because it contradicts what the devs said.

They said the new system was running in the backround to get the data needed.

The main problem of the old matchmaking will be the same in the new, because of a critical error the devs make.

They decided to prioritize queue times over everything else. So in order to have faster matchmaking, they simply accept imbalanced matchups.

Thats a decision they make, and i belive it is the wrong one, and thats the reason the system won´t work.

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458
    edited January 2021
    Options

i mean it's will just be like the ranking system we had, broken, at least now rank don't matter at all and we won't have potatoes posing as red rank pro anymore. but still i have no faith it will be good, at least for the first month, maybe after it will be better but let's be real it will be for at least 50% of player it will be like the old matchmaking and ranking system.

and worst of all they don't tell us what's a win, is it escape? kills?

Number of hooks? Number of gen and save done? as long as we don't know that this system look fishy.

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
    Options

Don't be so pessimistic about it. I have almost 2k hours and played Nurse last time... somewhere around 1,5k hours ago. I got bullied fast and then forgot about this killer. BUT NOW I will be placed with potatoes AND in 20-th rank, so adept Nurse should be ezpz xD Who knows, maybe I even learn how to play Nurse properly.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

I think anyone who was around for the first test is worried.

Mmr made current rank matchmaking looking good. Unironically.

• Moundshroud
    Options

You would be IF they actually are trying an actually ranking system based on Skill (and have linked it to individual Killers). Pessimism and pragmatism are kissing cousins. We have no evidence whatsoever that they are even capable of producing a working matchmaking system. What we do have, however, is example after example of them taking the path of least code resistance when making changes. That would mean the new ranking system is NO ranking system, i.e. the wild west. You will be matched with 1st in and 1st out. That won't be any worse than it is now, and certainly no better. What they have done is removed any ability for us to know what is being done.

So either we will suddenly find ourselves in even matches and know I'm wrong (I hope to be wrong) or not.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

I just wish they show your own MMR, or possibly other players to in the post-match screen so we can have a parameter as to why we've been placed together.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

If we could see our own MMR and that of our opponents. That would only give us more evidence that their MM is #@$%ed up. They won't allow that. The more they keep us in the dark the less things we have to argue about.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

They have been showing ranks in the current system for a long time. Don't see how that would be much of a stretch.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

Matchmaking currently is a disaster half of the time, but a lot of that might be attributed to the larger number of people playing survivor vs. a fewer number than needed people playing killer. The wait times in lobbies when I play almost always reflect that. Killer games for me in NA are pretty much instant 24 hours a day, any day, where lobbies as a survivor have run as long as 15 minutes during peak hours. The game forces people into badly balanced matches to try and keep the wait times down, and if the imbalance of people playing each role continues, no MMR system will prevent that imbalance unless it's built to sacrifice quicker games for more fair match-ups.

That said, I have NO confidence that this MMR will work, especially after the unmitigated disaster that happened the first time they rolled it out. I would feel more confident if someone in the dev team came out and said (even with some level of vagueness) something as simple as this:

"(Insert reason here) is why MMR didn't work the first time around. Because of (reason), we've done (this change), which is why MMR will work correctly this time."

Since it doesn't look like any information like that will be forthcoming (I'd love to be wrong on that), we're being asked to go on blind faith that they've actually indentified WHY MMR didn't work the first time, and why it WILL work this time. Going on their track record, that blind faith is completely unwarranted, which is why I don't think this experiment will go any better. Again, for the game's sake, I hope I'm wrong, though sacrificing wait times for fair matches will have to be a part of it for it to truly work (and I think prioritizing quick games over fair ones will still be their approach, so -- yeah, not a lot of confidence here).

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,541
    Options

Even if it’s not ready for the live version now it needs to be tested in a live environment to know where it needs more work put into it.

the current system is not good at all and it can’t get that much worse tbh. As long as the problems with completely new players get resolved of course..

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options

The new MMR will be fail on arrival. Everyone knows this. They just don't want to acknowledge it.

What they gotta do is match the ranks w the skills. Instead ranks go by how often u play in a short amount of time.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

I have 0 faith in it.

I honestly hope it fails miserably so they revert back to the current rank system and remove the killer lock. All MMR is gonna do is make wait times longer if you are either really good or really bad. If you are really good you also have to deal with sweaty game after sweaty game, especially as survivor. At least with killer you can go play another killer but you will quickly gain MMR and eventually be too high to get actual fair matches unless you start maining that killer.

There is honestly nothing wrong with the way the game matches players now aside from the BS where it puts a rank 1 against a rank 15 or lower. I don't understand why they can't just make it so that never happens. Then we don't need to ######### up the entirety of matchmaking.

The only way MMR could work is if there was a separate rank playlist. Because majority of people play the game casually, or meme, or play for dailies/challenges and in those instances MMR is worthless as you're not gonna measure someone's skill if they aren't actually playing to win.

• Mooks
    Options

That’s literally what MMR is trying to do though...

but they don’t change the whole emblem system with this and let the old ranks like they are.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Options

I'm not saying throw you to the wolves on your first time with a killer. But certainly you don't need to fight low ranks who are still urban evading in corners self-caring.

How'd you learn anything from that?

• Mooks
    Options

The problem with current matchmaking isn’t only the fact that low and high ranks get matched together but that even with the same rank there is a wide range of skill. As many many people can confirm here on the forums, most red ranks are just not really good at this game (myself included). I shouldn’t get matched against and with that much higher skilled opponents/teammates as now.

• Moundshroud
    Options

Are they though? Are they really trying to do that? :) We don't know what they are doing, if anything.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

They are never going to accurately measure skill. At least when you see red ranks you know the person knows how to play the game.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,741
    Options

Honestly this time around I'm expecting to go up against newer players and if they even seem semi-new, I'm leaving them be (unless I'm playing Nurse then I'll just say "accurate"). It wouldn't be fair to them that their first killer to go against is Rank 1 with over 2k hours in the game (and that's just one of the platforms I own)

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Options

If that happened then the ranking system failed.

You are not supposed to get matched up with "EZPZ" games. You are supposed to match up with opponents of roughly the same winning ability as you.

I don't even know why BHVR has to make it so complicated. An extremely simple system similar to the old ranking system where you have a win/loss percentage score (where win for killer is 3-4 kills, loss is 0-2 kills and survivor is either escape or die) and the game using that as criteria for matching would be infinitely better and put people who are good at killing up against people who are good at surviving. Done.

Don't care if a lot of things go into how you kill or how you survive. It will fix itself. Those who keep surviving go up in ELO, those who keep killing go up in ELO. And those who can't go down, and fight against those who can't either. That's how just about every competitive sport in the world works. It makes so much simple sense but apparently it's too much sense for this game.

• Mooks
    Options

Yes, they are TRYING at least 😉

well, that also holds true for everyone that reaches green ranks... there is still way too much difference even for red ranks regarding skill.

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
    Options

Just read that again. My point is to EZPZ ADEPT NURSE for a player who can't play as Nurse. Since, y'know, 20-th rank have less requirements for 2 pip. And, since I'am potato as Nurse, but still have 2k hours of game expirience, I have a good chance for adept.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Options

Red Rankers know how to play, but there's a huge gap in skill in the red ranks on both sides.

I'm a red rank survivor but I consider myself average at this game at best. I know what a real red ranker is capable of and they can run most killers around consistently over and over. I can do the same if I positioned myself properly, but positioning is the hardest thing in this game.

A real red rank killer is amazing. They know exactly where you're going intuitively and make it look easy. They listen for your footsteps and you're breathing and know where you are even if they never saw you. Yet I go up against a lot of red rank killers who don't even turn around while they patrol -- something so basic that a good killer should do, they can't even do it so it's super easy to juke and sneak around them. So many of them will miss you if you just walk slowly up to a doorway or hedge and crouch, they walk right past and never see you.

The real deal is several leagues above that.

• Antrapace
    Antrapace Member Posts: 253
    Options

I’m willing to wager right now that this post will end in one of the following ways.

1. moved to feedback as stated above
    2. THREAD CLOSED because of “reasons”
    3. Silenced and never to be see again, almost as if Agent 47 has been here!
  • Antrapace
    Antrapace Member Posts: 253
    Options

This is so very true, I’m a rank 1 killer and survivor, fairly average at the game though. I’ve come across those elite players you mention on both sides and they are clearly in another league of their own.

The current ranking (progression) system is very bad, their new system is heavily flawed and not much use either, their last experiment with it showed that as clear as day.

I wish they would stop trying to reinvent the wheel and use an ELO system or something similar like the majority of all other games out there.

Its almost as if they purposely go out of their way to make life difficult for us and themselves.

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 647
    Options

Well last time I had to go through MMR hell, I wanted to uninstall the game and quit DBD. Which I did, but when things got better I came back. This time... We will see.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options

No, they are eliminating ranks entirely from matchmaking. They are implementing skill base matchmaking.

What I'm saying is a person's skill should reflect on their rank.

Instead everyone will go back to rank 20 every month.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

If everyone's MMR number is not clearly displayed (even if it is just on the post-match screen), this will be worthless, because it will not address the perception problem that rank is what influences the matchmaking algorithm.

99.99% of players do not read these forums, and it should be assumed that they also don't read patch notes or in-game news. They won't even know something is different unless you communicate to them clearly, in-game, that there is another number that matters. Otherwise, they will just keep going "What the hell, I'm rank 17 and I keep getting matched with rank 3 people, this game is broken."

Also, I kiiiiiiiiiiiinda think that it is just blanket confusing to have two different numbers. Just have one number that governs all this stuff, or at least make them correlate. Hearthstone, for example, hides its MMR but still still matchmakes within the same season rank band.

• Mooks
    Options

Yeah, and there will then be another (hidden) rank.

so current rank and emblem system will still reflect the same thing with emblems etc and will reward bloodpoints and the new rank should reflect skill and will be used for matchmaking.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,498
    Options

I wouldn't be too worried, the Dev Update says it's coming "in the near future", in BVHR terms that's sometime between now and the end of time.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,128
    Options

The main issue the Devs are making with the MMR system is separate rankings per killer.

I can play one killer only, never touching another, play for thousands of hours, and one day try playing Wraith and get a set of survivors who will uninstall after the match.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

I think the devs have covered up the issues of rank and MMR quite nicely. now with the rank resets we'll have rainbow ranks all the time and any complaints about MMR mismatching will be swept away.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,126
    edited January 2021
    Options

I'm not sure worried is the right word for me, but am I worried? Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zABFuuKzQ

• Mooks
    Options

They already explained that killers that you have no experience on will not start at zero but be give something like an average score of your already ranked killers.