A reminder than Decisive Strike makes Killer gameplay atrocious.

Aztreonam78
Aztreonam78 Member Posts: 1,131
edited January 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Has been said a lot of times, but since no measures have been conducted towards rectifying the Decisive Strike's problem, I will say it again and again and again. Maybe on a daily basis.

Decisive Strike is a pay to win (btw why probably the strongest perk cannot be obtained other than by paying real money? Shrine of Secrets and its random do not count!) perk that is extremely punishing for Killers, and often for wrong reasons. It does not hurt exclusively tunnelers and campers, but all killer players in general. Down Survivors too fast and brought a Survivor who got unhooked 55 seconds earlier and you managed hooked another one? Get stabbed in you back! Confused one Claudette with another because they both Blendettes? Get what you deserve, #########!

The thing with the Lockers is a completely different story! What, as a generic Killer, should I do when the Meg tea bags and right in my face jumps into the closet? This perk gives way too much of a feeling of safety. It makes Survivors completely fearless when Killers are terrored each time they pick up someone. It significantly impacts the game, dramatically hurts the health of Dead by Daylight and needs to be a high-priority like Hex: Undying. Gladly, Undying and even Pop got fair nerfes, but why Survivor perks get no attention?

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

Yeah pretty much.

• jayru
    jayru Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2021

Keys and ds being unadressed is why I'm taking a break. I'm so sick of them ignoring glaring issues and continuously nerfing killers

at least we have a pretty map /s

p.s they say they are trying to avoid p2w-- but DS is the strongest perk in the game and has been for several years?? do they think we are brain dead?

• ihartTrapper
    ihartTrapper Member Posts: 17

I'm new to the game so I don't know what causes DS to happen but I managed to catch a teebagger but then they DS me and got away but on the other hand people have used DR and it didn't really bother me, kinda like borrow time but I don't mind borrow time

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Which means a killer only has to deal with DS 4 times at the most.

It’s very feasible to have every single DS wasted around mid game. The survivors are screwed after that. Same goes for Unbreakable. Slug early. Make them waste it.

• TheClownIsKing

Well... I really don’t envy any killers that feel so crippled by DS (or Unbreakable).

I just keep focused on the fact that each survivor can only use each once (if they even have them equipped at all), and I feel pretty confident (most of the time) eliminating those perks pretty early so that by the middle of the game (or shortly afterward) they are no longer a problem, and heavily restrict the remaining survivors strategy.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

To eat all DSs by "midgame" (let's say 7 minutes to be generous) you basically have to hook someone and immediately go for them again on the un-hook, 4x.

DS counters tunnelling, but the DS counter is... Tunnelling?

If you are playing without "camping" and just leaving the hook each time then it's not very likely you will be able to eat all DS's by the end game.

(not to mention DS from a locker, or DS from survivors with identical skins...)

Edit: typo

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I would definitely like to see Decisive Strike deactivate when a survivor jumps in a locker -- the whole "I dare you" game that it creates is more than a little bit lame, not to mention counterintuitive to how a survivor should be acting with the killer right on top of them.

It's good that it is an anti-tunneling perk -- it is really important for the game to have strong anti-tunneling and anti-camping tools, because things that prevent players from actively engaging in the game for long stretches at a time are awful -- but it lasts way longer than it needs to. It needs to last just long enough to let a survivor make a clean getaway from (or stun) a killer that is tunneling them off the hook, but not long enough to make the survivor go "cool, free invincibility."

Borrowed Time is what, 15 seconds? Why don't they make Decisive Strike last the same amount of time?

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Watch out my guy, you're gonna lose another legendary killer's vaunted respect with opinions like this.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Why does the Shrine not count, exactly?

• carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338

DC is the best tool against tunneling. This is critical to the game.

DC is needed, but it should not work if he survivor does something like jump into a locker, or once all 5 Gens are done.

DC window to trigger should even be easier, as it shouldn't be that hard to miss.

Tunneling is Toxic and needs a counter. you don't Tunnel, you don't need to worry about DC (however at end game collapse, I strongly feel it should turn off, as its all chaos at this point anyway)

• TheClownIsKing

I’m not here for popularity points. I’m not here to intentionally upset anyone either.

If I can cope fine at red ranks, against red ranks, not letting DS or Unbreakable bother me, I simply want to help others understand that there are ways to play whereby those perks don’t become a problem.

I truly believe the devs won’t change these perks because survivors can only use them once.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

But why do that when you could mentally condition yourself to believe there's nothing you can do and that a loss isn't your fault if someone has DS?

• TheClownIsKing

Lol, my goodness you’re right.

I’ve missed out on so much angst.

What a waste 🤣

• JPA

There are lots of killers with plenty of hours in this game who believe DS is OP or at least overtuned. Or I guess you believe they are all mentally conditioning themselves.

Myself I can take a loss, and I've been playing this game for 2 months so don't expect to be winning every game with a 4k. I can see that DS clearly has design issues.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

You can believe something's OP/Overtuned and not let it get to you.

I think it should at least be made so it doesn't trigger on a grab, or something a little less invincibility bubble and actually anti-tunnel.

But i'm talking about seeing someone with DS and just being like "Ooh nothing I can do, DS gamer, 0k incoming". I see so many people who mentally defeat themselves as soon as they get a whiff of it and only press on so they can feel justified looking at the end result perk screen and saying "See, look, what was I supposed to do?"

There's a bucket of mistakes you made during the match, and a bucket of things DS prevented.

And a loooot of people would rather shove it all into the latter bucket no matter the spread.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,175
    edited January 2021

I've played 80+ hours in the last 2 weeks, all at red rank. Most games, survivors were NOT rocking DS or UB.

Versus every other killer I've ran into that is playing around Undying/Ruin.

No complaints. I'll win and rank up w/o DS/UB like a lot of others. Talk when you killers can do well w/o your Undying. Its hella rare, and to those killer mains, great job. The others? Yea you're all big babies who want to complain and have temper tantrums.

• TheClownIsKing

You’re damn right it has design issues. It can only be used once, and so I fully exploit that as early in the match as possible.

• JPA

The fact it can only be used once is not a design issue, that's good design. Obviously it would be broken if it never turned off.

Like I said in my previous post, this becomes an issue when multiple people run it, especially when they're running the same skins. It's just another mental burden on an already preoccupied killer.

The design issue for me is the fact the perk does not deactivate if you repair, heal etc or another survivor is hooked (i.e. you are not being tunnelled and are participating in the match).

• JPA

Yes yes but plenty of people who are well aware of their own mistakes and also like to discuss the balancing of the game they partake in may want to do so, so I don't think your first 2 comments in the thread are helpful. Especially considering you actually agree the perk is overtuned.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Utter garbage statement right here:

"you don't Tunnel, you don't need to worry about DC"

If I hit you, down you, hook you, leave you alone, and let you get unhooked... and then I go and chase two other survivors, hook one, and then you save him, and I down you after the save... you can still Decisive Strike me despite the fact I went out of my way not to tunnel.

60 seconds can be a long, LONG time.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

The second was a comment on the mentality killers have when it comes to DS so it's on topic, and the first was a joke.

Spare me one.

• TheClownIsKing

I was making a joke. I don’t really think it has design issues. It was just a segue into the fact it can only be used once.

• Komodo16
    Komodo16 Member Posts: 1,488

Eat the ds then or leave and quit crying. If its at the end game ok wait in the locker but at beginning just eat the damn perk I can assure you you wont lose unless you suck them you'll lose no matter what. But if you wait 60 seconds beginning of game you also lose.

• Komodo16
    Komodo16 Member Posts: 1,488

God I love you, someone who literally mains a killer that isnt always viable and STILL doesn't have to worry bout DS. I swear you are a smart man. DS is rarely a issue eat it early and now you can freely tunnel that person if you need pressure. Like 4 ds dont matter if 2 are wasted because you can just get the others out of the game and if 3 gens are left and there is 1 death you are guaranteed a win

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    edited January 2021

I get hit by it here and there unfairly, but the ones who act like it's a every game thing happening to them multiple times are obviously the people that it was made to counter. Anymore I heard the argument the Killer is just THAT GOOD that he or she is redowning the same Survivor after hooking another one, playing a game of monopoly, and checking every gen in the map before DS is off cooldown. Hilarious. If they are that more skilled than the prey, they should have no issue eating the DS or ignoring the survivor for a bit longer.

Only nerf I could see is making it so repairing a gen or doing the gate deactivates it. Not sure on the locker idea people throw around, after all the killers cry about Unbreakable... the locker is the other option to not be slugged for a minute or 2. But on the flip side, make it multiple use to help with the tunneling issue more so.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I don't understand the hate people have for getting DS in a locker. If your chasing a person and they happen to go into a locker and you grabbed them then you still tunneled that person. Therefore the stun on you was justified. Its no different then vaulting a pallet or window and getting grabbed when you just got off the hook.

• Wesker09
    Wesker09 Member Posts: 159

Not really? I'll have games with no obsession and people get tunneled to death. Have an obsession and the killer will still tunnel. A lot of killers don't care lmao

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

They are mad they can't slug the person and wipe their feet off on them till the timer runs out. It's the other counter play to being slugged besides Unbreakable... and well they want that nerfed as well.

• TheClownIsKing

I don’t even outright tunnel either.

If I just happen to spot someone I know was recently unhooked, then my mind immediately goes “let’s see if they have DS, and let’s get rid of it”.

Same if an unhook occurs in my face before I can even leave. “Sorry bud, but I want to force you to use your DS.”

• JPA

The locker forces the killer to grab, leave, or wait out the timer. If they just carried on running the killer could just slug them instead. If they say on a gen I assume they could be slugged with a lunge attack (and no grab) but not 100% sure

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405

Well, the perk's quote is something like "there's nothing to be scared of", so I think that's why some people can not feel scared when with it. But then again, why would you go after the Meg with DS? You can just chase all other survivors or take the DS... it only works once, just as unbreakable.

If you were just being too good in chases, taking the DS may feel unfair... but it's probably not gonna stop you from killing them anyway.

• JPA

What do you do if they don't have the DS? I assume you waste another 20 seconds and allow them to wriggle free, to risk being associated with tunnellers, since obviously only tunnellers are affected by DS!

No, I'm assuming you hook them anyway..so your counter to the anti tunnel perk is to tunnel them.

Yeah great perk XD

• dspaceman20

So why not just leave. Isn't thats what's best for the killer to patrol?

• JPA

Patrolling is obviously required but is not the best strategy at all stages of a game, based on map, team etc.

It's not optimal for the killer to leave a survivor who they already know is playing aggressively and will jump on a gen as soon as they're back is turned. But its basically the only choice.

• TheClownIsKing

No. They get hooked. After that I might give them a break if say another unhook in my face occurs, or slug them a few times so they still have a chance to participate.

It totally depends on how competent the team is, and whether that particular survivor was being a douche or not.

• dspaceman20

Well I assume getting stunned is the worst case scenario every time and if you are presented with an opportunity to be stunned all ways the best solution is to avoid that even if it's not the best thing to do.

Anyways all the problems about DS would be fixed with just a time change. Maybe 30 to 45 seconds.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,581

Well said, partner. Sometimes I wish I could face the old DS again. Sure, it was extremely strong, but at least you could get rid of it at the very beginning of the trial.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Find a survivor

Chase for two hits. Maybe losing one or two gens.

Pick up survivor.

Stun

Chase survivor again for another gen.

There's your old DS experience you wished for. At least now you can get that hook before they stab you.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

Just a reminder that without ds, survivor experience would be miserable as it would mean free rein over the ability to tunnel and force survivors out of the game.

• JPA

1. Killers can already do this if they really want, DS just delays them 20-30 seconds (or longer with BT)

2. No one's asking for removal, just lowering of the timer and maybe also a few tweaks around deactivating the perk if the tunnel-ee performs offensive actions such as fixing a gen

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

You make the timer shorter and by the time the killer downs and picks up the survivor again it would have ran out, current ds is very effective at punishing tunnlers and if it is nerfed significantly, i would imagine there would be plenty of loopholes found to bypass it.

• JPA

If you made it so the person could not repair or heal without deactivating the perk I don't think it would be too bad. You could even extend the timer in this case, or not pause the timer while the Killer is in chase with the survivor.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762
    edited January 2021

Reminder being tunneled off hook every game isn't fun, makes survivor gameplay atrocious, and DS existing even if it's not in the game prevents this ❤️

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

This but if being chased the timer doesn't go down. True anti-tunnel not anti-momentum and would punish tunnelers more than it does currently (which is not much).