Why the new HUD is practically impossible to use as a streamer (with images)

lucillexoxo
lucillexoxo Member Posts: 2
edited January 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I know I'm not the only one to express concern over the HUD in terms of usability (too many places to look, not concise and easy to understand, doesn't match art style of game, etc), but I wanted to share some thoughts on why this is particularly difficult for streamers now too.

The biggest issue is that there are now HUD elements on every single edge and corner of the screen. While in your dev update, you said that you left a space for a facecam, I can't seem to figure out where that might be, nor does that include the variety of other things that streamers have on screen, such as donation bars, alerts, discord overlays, streamloots/dixper redemptions, sound alerts, etc.

The thing that was completely overlooked is that a streamer often has a lot more happening than just a single facecam, and not every streamer has the ability to put a facecam in the exact same spot. For instance, my green screen/streaming setup means I need to crop my right arm slightly to fit in frame, so being anywhere other than the right side means that there will be an awkward crop of my image. I know that's specific to me, but it's an example of how not every streamer has the same layout.

In addition, charity and donation bars are a really big part of Twitch culture. If you look at Tiltify overlays and what they provide, they're designed to be a bar somewhere on the screen, and there frankly isn't a spot where a bar/counter/etc could be without again covering elements. People also often have overlays that show subscriber/follower goals, recent subscribers/followers, commands, names, etc. which are essential to increasing engagement and therefore revenue during a stream. Again, no easy place to put these without covering the gens, the top survivor in the list, or add-ons/perks/etc.

I've done a few mockups to genuinely see if I could fit these things, and using the most common streaming layouts, there's no way to even easily get a facecam on the screen without blocking SOMETHING. Now we need to make the decision of which info we aren't going to be sharing with our viewers, which is pretty disappointing, and will affect how people watch us, as they aren't able to see all the elements of our gameplay. So frustrating.

From what I've seen, the response is less about the actual style but the layout itself, and it's been very upsetting in the streamer circles I'm in. Since DBD is one of the top streamed games and streaming is a huge portion of why people play and buy the game/cosmetics/etc, it's disappointing to see that there was very little thought put into how this will fit into overlays/layouts/etc.