Idea for a Trapper buff

Trapper is in need of a buff (or even a rework) & we all know it. The question is, how would we do that?

One of my ideas to buff him would be:

Whenever a survivor attempts to disarm a trap, they have a small chance of getting stuck in it. If you want to be more fair, slap a overcharge/DS skill check onto disarming a trap & if you fail it, you have to attempt to escape the same way as if you actually stepped in it.

Or if people still feel like that's too unfair, make it an addon. I personally think it's what Bloody Coil should've been.

Let me know what you guys think! Of course we could just have him carry more traps at once, but I think this being added as well would spice things up a bit.

Comments

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited February 2021

skill checks unless for stalling purposes are largely meaningless especially if your expect them so i wouldn't make disarming traps have them.

rng for if you disable something is also frustrating for both sides i feel like he needs a more interactive change. bloody coil works since it is a UR addon meant to be strong and also it really shouldn't be basekit.

My trapper idea is this.

Trapper secondary power: rigged generators 

Press the secondary ability when interacting with a gen to trap the generator. This power has a base 45 second recharge. Rigging a generator applies a base 10% regression but stops natural regression, there is no limit to the amount of generators that can be rigged at once.

When a survivor interacts with a rigged generator they must succeed 5 skill checks (lasts 10 seconds), if the survivor fails one of the skill checks or stops this interaction they lose a health state, the gen regresses a further 15%, and the generator is no longer rigged.

edit: i know i said skill checks are pointless but this is to distract the survivor and because it's meant to keep the survivor on the gen. getting off a rigged gen will trigger it otherwise the skill checks as said is to stall.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221

Skill checks wouldn't be meaningless for the same reason that people miss DS skillchecks all the time, but I do agree about the RNG. I imagine once they fix that (because Pig also needs a rework) my idea wouldn't be so bad.

But anyways I really like your idea, but I think it's slightly OP for the fact that survivors have to hit 5 skill checks & if they fail just 1 they could lose a health state. Maybe make it so they only lose a health state while healthy? I really don't think going down because you missed a skillcheck is plausible.

• dmhughes86
    dmhughes86 Member Posts: 34

I think every escape attempt should just have a skill check that way unnerving presence has a purpose in his kit. While mostly meaningless against good survivors it will still on occasion provide value especially in conjunction with perks and any add ons which could be changed to supplement this feature. Trapper desperately needs an add on rework. He could also use +1 carrying capacity as base.

• Karao_Ke
    edited February 2021

I agree simply because skillchecks could definitely benefit the killer & their perks depending on what they are.

Edit: so umm I accidently said Unnerving Presence was a survivor perk lol.. just no

Post edited by Karao_Ke on
  • matthewg64
    matthewg64 Member Posts: 79

hell yeah I HATE going against trapper but he does need buffs. The skill check thing is amazing, Idk if I’m comfortable with it being part of his base kit, but a purple add on or green forsure.

• dmhughes86
    dmhughes86 Member Posts: 34

I think the skill checks wouldn't be worth a green or purple add on. I play a lot of trapper and personally I wouldn't run the skill checks unless I thought I was just going to be playing potatoes all day or was just meming. I am almost required to to bring a bag which leaves me with one add on slot left. Usually I would value setting tools or dark traps long before I would put skill checks on my traps. It would make them very niche and only usable in skill check builds. I personally like the consistency with his perks too. Typically trappers stay in one area of the map which actually makes unnerving presence viable outside of small maps and having a large terror radius.

• Karao_Ke

I agree that most people probably wouldn't have a problem with the skillchecks which is why I also offered it to be basekit.