Don't be homophobic

Options

Comments

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited March 2021
    Options

There are literally no homosexuals to be homophobic against in this chapter. Nothing suggests, by nuance or by explicitness, that the killer is gay in any sense. If anything, it would be frankly homophobic to assume that he is, based on his appearance. Homosexuals can be James Charles with purple hair or daddy deathslinger.

That being said, if there was a character who turns out to be gay, I'm sure that the homophobia is going to be rampant in this little edgelord community of reactionaries we have here. We're yet to see that, however.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,554
    Options

Well okay thx for the info, I most certainly didn’t know that.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Don't you worry and sorry. I can get kind of passionate about this subject. There are many missconception towards some words, people using racism when there's xenophobia. As an example, I am argentinian and argentinians are very xenophobic, meaning prejudice towards nationality in the meanwhile the media use racism which it's prejudice towards skin color. Of course, both should be avoided but I am very passionate about using the right word and addressing each problem as it is.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited March 2021
    Options

If anything, it would be frankly homophobic to assume that he is, based on his appearance.

That's what the OP is referring to, yes. As you can see, someone doesn't actually need to be homosexual in order for someone else to be homophobic toward them. Homophobia is not rational.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977
    Options

What does us ragging on the new killer because it's a literal K-Pop star have to do with this?

• Orion
    Options

Nothing. This thread is obviously not directed at you.

• Orion
    Options
  • Orion
    Options

That's for the OP to answer, not me.

No, because guess what happens if you make an overt homophobic post? Mods delete it.

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062
    Options

Or... In a game about killing people and trying to avoid being killed, we can leave sexuality out of it because it doesn't matter.

Leave that "poop" to the fan-fic writers. Let people insert what they want instead.

• Orion
    Options

Given that heterosexual relationships are already in the game, why do non-heterosexual relationships have to be excluded?

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

You are technically right, but that doesn't mean they're free from people's judgement and consequences.

• Orion
    Options

Just for the record, hate speech is not protected under free speech. As a matter of fact, "free speech" doesn't even exist on a private venue such as an online forum, because it's about the government restricting your speech. And no country on Earth has 100% free speech.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

I was referring to situations that are taking place in real life. I know that you shouldn't take things you see on the internet personally.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Options

The nature of homophobia is not at question, the issue is that the OP insinuated that the new killer was indeed homosexual (which we have no indication of). Yes, homophobia is completely irrational and an abhorrent stance, but it is equally irrational to assume that the new killer is gay.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,603
    Options

I keep seeing these posts about the pushback against LGBT characters, but I've never seen that pushback myself. Are you sure these people you're talking about even exist?

• MrBuffalo
    MrBuffalo Member Posts: 312
    Options

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling. But if you are I'll take the bait. Why the actual ######### does it matter if they are LGBT or not? This game revolves around killing people not who you can ship your self insert with.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

Most of the horrific pushback gets removed. There is indeed a lot of pushback... Even at just the idea.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

TL:DR

WTH started all this? What information was given that suggested the newest killer/survivor was LGBTQ? We were given a picture and people just flat out assumed.

• Mooks
    Options

There is the extreme ones, those get removed.

but there is also those that are saying LGBT+ chars shouldn’t be added because something along the lines of:

• Sexuality shouldn’t be in videogames/a horror game
    • Adding LGBT+ chars is making the game political
    • The devs are forced to include it/they don’t even care
    • It’s meaningless towards the gameplay
    • You can already make any character what you want them to be in your head
    • Stereotypical/bad representation can be more harmful than exclusion
    • and of course: the devs only want our moneyz

all of this while heterosexual relationships are already present and we knownthe devs do care, want to be inclusive and are aware that it’s a sensitive topic.

• Mooks
    edited March 2021
    Options

The fact that the devs want to add LGBT+ chars and based on implementation time and announcement it would kinda fit plus the colors in the teasers, that have relevance in the trans and/or bi community. and the character model of Yun-Jin was said to have some male features while wearing extravagant female clothes.

• Mooks
    Options

Most were just speculating and not definitely expecting it though.

And the threads blew up because of those against inclusion.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

They've already put Sexuality into their game. You must be disgusted.

This game also has deep interpersonal lore so of course sexuality is going to come up.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited March 2021
    Options

You can't go by leaks. We've been proven wrong before. When PH was coming I was among the masses that thought it was going to be Candyman. The teaser, the picture looked like a hook, a dev tweeted bee in a message. All added credit to Candyman. Then we got PH. Not disappointed but the take away is a lot of people were wrong. Just like a lot of people are wrong now.

• Mooks
    Options

I haven’t said anything about any leaks..

and I personally didn’t expect there to be an LGBT+ char.

i still think speculation is fine and can be fun, and as i Said, the threads blew up because of those against inclusion (or not caring)

• Mooks
    Options

There are PLENTY of posts still in those threads that don’t agree with LGBT+ inclusion. And the posters are not jailed or banned.

msybe don’t make this stuff up, the ones getting banned were breaking forum rules. Maybe you just haven’t seen the posts that actually got those people banned in the end.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443
    Options

Me not liking this killer has nothing to do with homophobia, you realise me not liking the killer doesnt make me homophobic??? Can you show me the homophobia towards the new killer? There's a lot of hate for him but does that male someone homophobic? very dangerous attitude you have

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252
    Options

So, since you seem to be one of the few reasonable ones I am seeing here I am gonna explain why we might not get a LGBT character and It simply comes down to this.

The game is in China including the mobile one If I recall. And the Chinese are "strong" about there distaste for well, LGBT and anything connected. I am confused how a game with ghost and other things can be in China so I assume a lot censorship is involved.

So,I can assume that is really one of the main reasons.

I would also debate If this game came out like in 2010 or 1999 before everyone had went into a full blown madhouse of RedVsBlue having a gay character would be seen as "fine" or even "cool" or actually progressive..But, now do to the fact that is anyone talks about now in days It would be more shocked to see a devout catholic in DBD then someone from LGBT. But,hell for all I know Ace could be bi and a Catholic. I would never know.

Truth be told outside of nationallity we only know a handful of info about the surviors and I would argue a lot of the newer surviors are all just "Successful people who are awesome". We need more outcast, failures and loons and less winners.

• SleepyWillo
    Options

They will release an LGBT character (like they've said they plan on doing) but they will do so around Pride to get the most "signal boost" bang for their buck. They will do it when its the most profitable, and not when its "right".

• Thicc_Boi_Myers
    Thicc_Boi_Myers Member Posts: 52
    Options

hahaha nice when i play clown i always say to them as they complain "welcome to clown town population you"

• Zeon_99
    Zeon_99 Member Posts: 463
    Options

Ummm... OP assuming the killer is LGBT because of his appearance? Homophobic stereotypes? Uh oh...

• Thicc_Boi_Myers
    Thicc_Boi_Myers Member Posts: 52
    Options

I don't support what he is saying but yeah that is kinda what opinions are. he/she is entitled to discriminate against other people its just what he/she thinks, you just have to accept that some people have different opinions and we can talk about those opinions in a civil manner.

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252
    Options

Well,If that is the case It makes all the spamming more dumb since It is written in stone..However, the Chinese version should be worth a good laugh to read.

• SleepyWillo
    Options

Itll likely boil down to a space.

"Boy friend" vs "boyfriend". Either that or I think they'll be seeing "close friends"

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,603
    Options

Well normally I'd agree that the kind of representation we're talking about gets shoehorned into things, but it really wouldn't feel that way with this game. It would just be another survivor, who also happened to be LGBT.

• Mooks
    Options

That China argument (or any other country with such strict limitations) is pretty much the only real argument at this point against LGBTQ+ inclusion.

but BHVR said they want to be inclusive and will add LGBTQ+ to their game and I think they should stick to their word here. It would after all only be some short passages in the lore. I guess China could still censor that?

I still hope they will just mention some LGBTQ+ theme in someone’s backstory or tome without advertising it, btw. That way they prevent accusations of only doing it to please the demands and doing it for PR. (But we all know that the media and community would still make a big deal out of it and still accuse BHVR for it)

also very much agree with that „successful people who are awesome“ trend and I liked characters like Claudette or Jake way more. Even though i also like the direction they are going in with Yun-Jin!

• aurum_exe
    aurum_exe Member Posts: 182
    Options

What i don't get is the PROMOTION of LGBTQ+ content everywhere, like TV shows, videgames, comics etc. etc. You can be whatever you want, but it's shouldn't be everyone business what you are and who you are. I'm not going everywhere saying "hey i'm straight" or "i'm bi". All this insistent promotion of these topics, will bring more hate at the surface.

• Mooks
    Options

It won’t bring hate, it will just show the hate that was already present.

you don’t start to hate on LGBT+ people just because you see them represented.

• aurum_exe
    edited March 2021
    Options

"LGBT" it's like a mark we put on ourselves while we should first understand that "hate" or "not hate", behing sexually oriented is very natural. Period. I'm BI, and my thinking is not affected by hatred, and i don't wanna judge who hate me because of what i do in my bed. It's their problem, not mine. All this promotion is a giant "marketing" operation to state and be "proud" about our "differentiation" from the rest of the specie. We are not. Another period.

• Orion
    Options

"LGBT" it's like a mark we put on ourselves while we should first understand that "hate" or "not hate", behing sexually oriented is very natural.

No, it's not. Non-heterosexuality exists in a ######### ton of species. Homophobia only exists in one. If nature isn't natural, then what is?

All this promotion is a giant "marketing" operation to state and be "proud" our "differentiation" from the rest of the specie. We are not. Another period.

There's no "promotion", there's just equal treatment. Heterosexuals get featured in media all the time and nobody bats an eye. Why are you making a big deal out of non-heterosexuals being featured in media as well? If we're no different, then it shouldn't matter to you, right?

• Mooks
    Options

Yes. My entire point. LGBTQ+ Is not abnormal or different. So the logical consequence would be to treat that topic the same way heterosexual relationships get treated.

include it in the lore. Don’t use it as an advertisement. Done.

and I am happy to hear you are not affected by their hate. But please only speak for yourself. There are many LGBTQ+ people that are still experiencing hate and discrimination.

• BarbecueiChilli
    BarbecueiChilli Member Posts: 138
    Options

he is probably not lgbt character because most of the kpop stars looks like this and are not lgbt. I want gay character from 20th century, don't need to say why

• aurum_exe
    edited March 2021
    Options

You didn't even understood my words, and you didn't even read that i'm BI, why should i even try to make you understand. When i said "being sexually oriented is very normal" i was talking about every kind of "sexual orientation" (pedophilia trashcans apart), not just straights, but all this propaganda is making the things worst. All i see is more hate being generated by it and it's normal, i can't judge it. Talking about human psychology, the more you abuse about a topic, politically speaking, the more you generate people who think against. LGBTQ+ movement will build up more hate. No doubt it. For me, this is simply not the way.

• Orion
    Options

The fact that you're bi is not relevant. I'm bi too.

Funny, the same things were said about women's rights, black rights, and more. Did those movements just stop because certain people were complaining? No.

If you (this is a generic "you", I don't mean you specifically) support equal treatment, then you can't blame that equal treatment for your hatred.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980
    Options

You don't care about gender. You're homophobic

You don't care about looks. You're homophobic

You want good characters in a game. You're homophobic

You want fun mechanics and gameplay. You're homophobic

You dislike someone's appearance. You're homophobic

Please stop it with this clickbait trash. It belongs on Twitter, not the DbD Forums. People having their own opinions is actually a right in many countries. Just because they don't line up with your checkboxes is no reason to insult them and call them homophobic. Your bigotry stands out like a sore thumb.

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422
    Options

Why is everyone suddenly deciding the new killer is gay? Why does it matter? Why is there such a big discussion about this? Dbd purposely leave their characters open to interpretations so their players can interpret the characters as they please. The only exceptions to this are David and Felix, as at some point in their lore it's been mentioned that they have a girlfriend.

I'd love lgbt representation in the game, but at the end of the day... it's a fictitious horror game... sexuality really has no relevance.

• Mooks
    Options

non of these accusations happened in the forums. Or if so, they got banned/jailed/warning

This discussion has been closed.