SpringTrap in DBD Discussion

Let's get this out of the way first, this is not a post begging the devs to add SpringTrap to the game, this is a discussion seeing why people disagreed and why people agreed with the idea of adding him. I want to make this discussion after the endless amount of posts about it so it doesn't affect the decision of those who choose to reply. Another thing, please don't use the argument of "the fandom is bad or cringe" (as it is separated from the franchise) to explain why you wouldn't want him in the game, but if your argument is that it would attract those people to DBD then that's fine then.

Now to start, personally I'd like him in the game however I could see why many wouldn't want him. Fnaf sent waves through the horror game community and other than the fan-games and maybe Terminator, I can't recall many robotic killers as iconic as they are. I have a feeling that the idea of him coming to DBD became so popular so quickly before dying off was due to the devs breaking their "no non-human killers" rule with Demo. I was personally indifferent until I saw this video on him and thought he'd look amazing to both play and play against as a P3 killer.

So take to sum it up, would you want him in the game, why or why not?

Comments

• Blindninja
    Blindninja Member Posts: 462

I'm not talking about who's playing. Man what's going on with the reading comprehension tonight?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited March 2021

It would be awesome. It would be nice to have something that genuinely creepy in the game.

Some of the stuff in DBD lately hasn't been that scary, not since maybe Oni. Deathslinger, Trickster, Twins....they are not really scary at all. I think that concept above is 5 times creepier than what we got so far.

People seem to just confused the game itself, with the audience generated from youtubers like markaplier and think they are the same thing. I've played the VR FNAF and it is scary as #########, a lot scarier than DBD has ever or ever will be.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

at least you got a point but the new game I think your going to be moving around sneaking around.

watch

• LazyPayday
    LazyPayday Member Posts: 420

Using security breach as an example may not be the best idea. Sure it shows them moving but the game looks horrible graphically and overall kinda just looks bad.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536
    edited March 2021

This answer was copy-pasted from a response I made to a previous discussion because I can't be bothered to re-iterate myself a million times.

Every license that has been added to this game is either from an incredibly iconic horror film, or a video game that defined the genre. The only exception to this is Stranger Things, which itself is a spin on the slasher genre and is generally inoffensive, while I love it's inclusion in this game whether or not it actually belongs here is a whole other debate. The point is that every license that has been added has been in mostly good standing with the general horror community, and fits logically within the game. This game started off as a love letter to classic slashers, and while it has branched off slightly, it is still much of the same. FNAF is a game that revolves around an incredibly hated element of horror, jump scares. In most peoples opinion a jump scare needs to be earned within the context of a film and random ones that are shoehorned in are generally unnecessary and lazy. Now combine that way of thinking with an entire game whose only horror element is jump scares and it's no surprise that people hate it.

Whether or not people think FNAF is actually horror is a massive debate but really doesn't matter within the context of this argument. I could talk about how the whole community is comprised of children which is the last thing DbD needs but that has been said a million times before, what I'm trying to get at is adding a game that relies on cheap horror, to a roster of horror icons, is insulting. I personally don't think that the concept even fits within this game and could be done correctly but that's not why I have a problem with it, it's because of how much of an insult it would be, to have a chuck e cheese animatronic amongst some of the best horror movies ever created. That's why I hate it.

• NekoGamerX

it was just example but in the fnaf games the story pretty creepy and game aren't bad I feel Springtrap would fit nicely but I want scrap baby more she creepy.

just saying it could happen people need to get over it

also tho saying it's kids game that adults play same could be said about stranger things people didn't want that at first because people think it more for kids and teens but adults watch it too and it in dbd so anything could happen.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    edited March 2021

So I guess it helps for us to like and understand one another through these strange circumstances

Yeah I was skeptical at first, but it seems like the gameplay will be similar to Outlast, and if we are just playing a kid, and the kid gets killed when caught. You know its gonna be Rated M

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

Judging by what his backstory is he would be perfect lore wise, he killed little kids, stuffed them inside animatronics, then their souls haunted him, and so he decided to hide in the SpringTrap outfit to then getting his body smashed inside the animatronic in result killing himself. Therefore his soul taking over SpringTrap, and he's the reason why Freddy, Bonnie, Chica, and Foxy are what they became. Yeah his lore is pretty dark, and the Entity would love it. But the most questioning thing about SpringTrap is gameplay wise what would he do? Maybe implementing something with the other animatronics would do something for him to make him interesting, but don't know what else can be done for an animatronic. Also need to point out that Scott Cawthon said he doesn't plan on doing any partnerships as of right now for FNAF, and it doesn't help that a BHVR dev said they had no idea what FNAF was. So SpringTrap being in Dead By Daylight is looking very low right now, but never say never.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,721

I don't mind FNaF but if we're going indie horror I'd rather have Slender as the first pick for a representative. If FNaF ever did come I'd also rather see Freddy or one of the original animatronics instead. Springtrap just doesn't do it for me.

Otherwise, I'd personally rather see more classics like Chucky, Jason, Pinhead, IT, Alien, Predator and such before delving into the indie scene.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I don't think it would be a good idea to put springtrap into DBD because he wouldn't fit in with the other killers. Because of how most people see FNAF, he just doesn't seem that scary considering his horror is based on jumpscares. The game is in a bad state rn or probably will be after the trickster comes because of the sheer amount of bugs that come with every new chapter.

If a FNAF chapter came out for DBD, it would also bring out all of the FNAF fans to buy him and play this game. The problem with bringing that many people to dead by daylight is simple, things are unbalanced and don't get fixed for extremely long periods of time. Like the stranger things chapter, lots of newbies will come in and make the games you have very lame for both sides. (It's not their fault though, not dissing on those players or anything, they just want to play the game because of their favorite character being in it.) I mean just look at this MMR we have rn, this is just a test for a "SKILL based mmr system", it already doesn't work (as expected from MONTHS before). So what would happen once players who only came for FNAF find out how unbalanced and infuriating this game can be? They will just quit. Sure, BHVR would definitely profit off of this, but it would bring even more shame and a negative reputation to the game.

I myself am also already happy with the number of licensed killers we have already, except for Jason. Another licensed killer is not what would be healthy for the game. Licensing, I'm sure, is very difficult to manage and expensive. Look at the Friday the 13th game, it is pretty much dead and suffering from a lawsuit.

I would be all for a huge overhaul of healthy changes to the game, but "like that's ever gonna happen".

• HuskyTwitter
    HuskyTwitter Member Posts: 71

I've seen videos of the first FNAF back in the day, thought it was a neat indie horror game. Haven't followed the game too much since then so I don't understand the hate on it's community.

The idea of an animatronic killer sounds cool. And I know Jump scares are cheap, but that would bring back the fear factor to this game. I'm on board for Springtrap, I'd like to see what BHVR would do for it's power.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536

Personally I don't think FNAF is genre defining, it got popular and that's about it. Sure it got a few low budget clones here and there but didn't leave an impact on the way most horror games are made. Silent Hill created a new, now common breed of survival horror and Left 4 Dead went on to inspire most co-op shooters that have been made since.

Yes, I have watched a lot of classic slashers, and a lot of people do fairly criticize them for their cheap jump scares, but the entire movie isn't a jump scare, these films have a lot of redeeming qualities that make them loved by people that don't like jump scares. The same exact thing can be applied to FNAF but at a larger scale. Some people that don't like jump scares will be able to move past it and like the game for it's other redeeming qualities whether that be lore, atmosphere, or character building. But others myself included, may not be able to move past it because they find the games re-use of this scare-tactic as too repetitive, cheap, or boring.

No, I'm not an elitist. I personally don't like the new IT movies and am pretty on the fence about the original. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing what they do correctly and that if done right could fit amongst the current roster. I was the same way about Silent Hill during it's reveal and was skeptical on whether it's inclusion made any logical sense among the cast. FNAF is simply too far out for me, I've played the original three, I thought the overuse of the jump-scare mechanic made the games incredibly boring and stale, and placing chuck e cheese next to some of the most iconic horror figures ever conceptualized just doesn't sit well with me.

Whether I like it or not FNAF is horror, it's a very different game and just because I consider it cheap doesn't mean it gets removed from the genre. Like most things, at the end of the day this all boils down to opinion and whether it gets added or not will be determined with time.

• NekoGamerX

people say Springtrap because he the killer who started all the kid murders put them into animatronic where they haunt and kill people but I almost feel scrap baby scarier.

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437

the fandom is cringe though.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

1 what's his power

2 the odds aren't good the only reason we got Steve and Nancy is because they didn't want to put children being abused

3 they literally kill kids in the game this would be the victor issue all over again but worse

4 who would a survivor be

5 What would even be his weapon his hand?

6 ohh god the furries

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,017
    1. Up to the devs on that one, they're pretty creative so they could do anything. Who woulda guessed what Demogorgon or Pig's powers could've been?
    2. How did SAW get in before FNAF anyways? I mean I like SAW but no one would have guessed it coming to DBD.
    3. Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, etc.
    4. Lots of opportunities for that one. There's Michael Afton, Charlotte, Henry, Jeremy Fitzgerald (though considering his character design isn't seen in any of FNAF media, probably won't work, same goes for Henry).
    5. His weapon will probably be treated like Hag's or Demogorgon's (preferably Demogorgon because of claws I guess idk).
    6. Wait, people still hate on furries in 2021? I thought the internet was edgy in like 2015-2017.
  • dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 680

The problem with this is argument is that your forgetting that these are two separate games. To you fnaf may be scarier but that doesnt translate into being a good fit for dbd as both games operate on game mechanics worlds apart from each other.

Adding in springtrap doesn't make something scary but rather adding him to dbd makes him just non scary as the other killers in this case.

Me personally I don't want him for the sole fact that it would be wasted and there's realistically no good way to put him the game without him being a let down to both fanbases.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

If they make a power that's fun to use I couldn't give less of a damn where the killer's from or what franchise. I just want a new killer that's actually good and fun to play because The Twins was a miss, and it's looking like Trickster's gonna be a hard miss as well.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Don't forget the Trickster! He's terrifying as well... ;)

• shinymon
    shinymon Member Posts: 298

Really? This topic again? And people say the FNaF fandom isn’t annoying. >_>

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

It’s a horror game about a serial killer who murdered children and stuffed them into animatronic suits. Sure the merchandise became more kid friendly but since it’s based on a fictional pizzeria I guess it makes sense

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Didn’t fnaf kinda redefine indie horror games? I think that’s enough to warrant it’s inclusion. Also if I’m not mistaken hag was made to be a jump scare killer