SpringTrap in DBD Discussion

Comments

• DrStone
    DrStone Member Posts: 132

I don't know what's worse ...

That the person writing this could be a 12 year old trying to act "mature" OR a 25 year old who thinks the game would be less suited for adults if they added a SERIAL KILLER who got stuck and killed by his own creation and now continues the spree as an animatronic.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

No.

Hag at least attacks you. There's some gore there. From what I've seen of FNAF, your deaths are literally just a doll showing up on your screen and a black screen.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Fnaf did kinda redefine horror if it had 6 main series games all of which being very well received.

• DrStone

I mean if FNAF were to be added it'd definitely have to be changed to suit the game, meaning no basic jump scares and black screens. They could probably have the Springtrap's power revolve around controling the areas with other animatronics and them chasing or jumping at you when spotted.

• Phasmamain

It is a very popular game franchise though. Silent hill got in because of that reason so why can’t fnaf. And don’t tell me it isn’t popular and wouldn’t fit

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
  • Phasmamain

What about the kpop community? Are you okay with them having a chapter.

The fnaf community would not make this game anymore toxic tbh we already have that covered

Fnaf is one of the most popular horror games/franchises in recent years so I think it deserves a spot amongst the licenced cast

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    edited March 2021

Now, I personally wouldn't mind him being added. I kinda have a bad history with fnaf, but it's more of a me thing, and I wouldnt mind facing one of the animatronics head on, it could help me get over my anxiety of playing fnaf for the first time xd.

But, even tho I don't mind him being added, that doesn't mean that I believe he'll be added to the game. Horror games differ from one another, you have simply creepy horror games, survival games, jumpscare games, ect.

Dbd is an asymmetrical horror game, it'd built upon the feeling of anxiety I'd say. You're feeling anxious if the killer will find you, if you'll survive as a survivor. As a killer you're anxious all the time because you have to keep an eye on gens and babysit the survivors. So the feeling of escaping and 4king is what keeps us playing, in my opinion.

On the other side of the spectrum, fnaf is a single player survivor game that thrives in storytelling and jumpscares. You have the same anxiety and fear about survival, and about being jumpscared. Both dbd and fnaf have fantastic lore, but both of them aren't clear. So the dlc can create a lot of confusion. But, that doesn't mean that dbd doesn't have killers with unclear backstories, pyramid head and demo are two killers that all we know about them is speculation, and the dlcs didn't really confuse anyone, so it is possible to add a fnaf killer without confusing both communities more.

Secondly, I kinda agree that an animatronic killer doesn't really fit in dbd. The trickster is currently the least fitting killer according to the community, but I can see why he was added. If you didn't know, the kpop world is horrific, and totally matches dbd, even tho the lore didn't go into detail about the horrors in kpop, it just mentioned that it was difficult.

But again, this can be easily fixed, I'd personally like a burnt springtrap, at least as a cosmetic, to show the aftermath of fnaf 3

Lastly, the creator of fnaf hasn't really agreed in any collabs with any company, but as far as I know, he hasn't confirmed that he was ever asked to do one. So I'm speculating that he's going to do collabs after he's done releasing all his games and books. That's speculation tho, so you can ignore that.

A fnaf chapter can be added if the devs play their cards right, but it's going to be extremely difficult to add. But who knows, demo was added, so why not?

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on
  • Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

Why do you think it would make anything noticeably worse?

How many of these toxic FNAF gamers do you think are gonna pick up DbD specifically so they can play as Spaptap and actually stick around? How many would even be noticable? Are you gonna chart out a week of pre and post FNAF killer release toxic players and say "yup, there's X more than usual, Scott strikes again"?

"I don't want their toxic fanbase joining" applies to literally any cross-media events. Odds are almost literally nothing would change.

• Orion

What about the kpop community? Are you okay with them having a chapter.

Haven't seen them being toxic yet, so yeah, whatever.

The fnaf community would not make this game anymore toxic tbh we already have that covered

Agree to disagree. I doubt we'll get anything out of this discussion because it's based entirely on personal opinion and perception.

Fnaf is one of the most popular horror games/franchises in recent years so I think it deserves a spot amongst the licenced cast

I'd rather get my Candyman, but, again, agree to disagree.

• Orion

Who the hell's Scott?

"I don't want their toxic fanbase joining" applies to literally any cross-media events. Odds are almost literally nothing would change.

That's fair enough.

• Phasmamain

That’s fair I do want some different licences before him mainly scissorman from clock tower but I feel like nothing bad could really come of it and it would make dbd feel even more like the smash bros of horror games

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

Scott Cawthon, the guy who made FNAF.

He's a good wholesome christian man and I usually say that ironically but that is actually the truth and i'm glad the series has turned into as much of a success story as it has for him.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,017
    edited March 2021

Knowing Scott he's probably using that as a cover to bamboozle everyone into thinking he isn't actually planning any collabs. I'd laugh my ass off if that were the case tbh.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on
  • DrStone

I agree with your previous comment saying that it didn’t redefine the horror game genre. We could say that if it would bring something new and innovative to the table, but it didn’t. Jump scares where common even before FNAF.

However I disagree with the games not being popular. They most definitely are. Probably not as much lately but that’s what happens to most media after some time. But there is a huge following and because of the simplicity of the games even non-gamers tried them out.

• Orion

I said "not as popular as you think". The "you" in this case being the person I was speaking with.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

Yeah, but since I'm unsure of his motives, I can't really do anything but speculate can I? :^)

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I think a FNAF chapter is a great idea. That said I wouldn't care if it never happened but i'd surely give it a try if we got it.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

Reasons why I think Springtrap should be in Dead By Daylight.

1. I think adding Springtrap into Dead By Daylight would give more variety with killers. Now you can only pick human-like killer or good boy Demogorgon. And he would also be an interesting concept because, well, he's a soul trapped inside a robot/suit. He would be so different from the rest of the killers. Sure, a normal DBD original robot killer would be able to achieve that too.
    2. I think it would bring the FNAF and DBD community together. Maybe both FNAF and DBD can grow of this. Because some people might find it interesting to play as/against a game character from different perspectives.
    3. There is no licensed killer from another Horror game. So it would be a fun and new thing.
    4. I want him in the game and he looks cool. He freed the world from a few innocent children and he's a brutal, merciless, sick, dirty, psycho murderer. And that's perfect for the game xd

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

@MiniPixels

Personally I don't think FNAF is genre defining, it got popular and that's about it. Sure it got a few low budget clones here and there but didn't leave an impact on the way most horror games are made. Silent Hill created a new, now common breed of survival horror and Left 4 Dead went on to inspire most co-op shooters that have been made since.

It literally created an entire new style of horror games. the "don't really move, manage resources" style of horror. and currently was in the ps5 annoucement as an exclusive.

The news of a fnaf movie coming out promply pushed others to put one out as fast as they could to cash in on murderous animatronics (which is how we got willy's wonderland, fun B movie btw)

So I say it's genre defining, if not, close enough to it

Yes, I have watched a lot of classic slashers, and a lot of people do fairly criticize them for their cheap jump scares, but the entire movie isn't a jump scare, these films have a lot of redeeming qualities that make them loved by people that don't like jump scares. The same exact thing can be applied to FNAF but at a larger scale. Some people that don't like jump scares will be able to move past it and like the game for it's other redeeming qualities whether that be lore, atmosphere, or character building. But others myself included, may not be able to move past it because they find the games re-use of this scare-tactic as too repetitive, cheap, or boring.

which is fair. but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's bad.

and I stand by what I said earlier, the jumpscares are fail states. they don't just happen at random, they happen when you screw up. So I think they are fair, since essentially you are the cause of them.

again, except for the challenge nights and whatnot. because they have way too much randomness to be considered fair.

No, I'm not an elitist. I personally don't like the new IT movies and am pretty on the fence about the original. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing what they do correctly and that if done right could fit amongst the current roster. I was the same way about Silent Hill during it's reveal and was skeptical on whether it's inclusion made any logical sense among the cast.

curious, what changed your mind about silent hill?

FNAF is simply too far out for me, I've played the original three, I thought the overuse of the jump-scare mechanic made the games incredibly boring and stale, and placing chuck e cheese next to some of the most iconic horror figures ever conceptualized just doesn't sit well with me.

which is again, fair. If you don't like a game, you don't like it.

Personally, amnesia to me was way too boring. so I stopped playing halfway.

but whether we like it or not. FNAF is probably the most iconic horror IP to be created in the last decade. at least in games.

Whether I like it or not FNAF is horror, it's a very different game and just because I consider it cheap doesn't mean it gets removed from the genre. Like most things, at the end of the day this all boils down to opinion and whether it gets added or not will be determined with time.

this was a way more measured response than I expected. sorry for assuming you were just gonna be an ######### about it.

you're nice ^^

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

At this point just add him, I just wanna stop seeing "add (insert fnaf character here)" threads

• Baby_Victor
    Baby_Victor Member Posts: 486

I like how a very Christian man wanted to make sweet wholesome Christian games to entertain Christian kids who might be sheltered from satanic elements found in other games...except all his reviews said his characters seemed very wooden, scary, and creepy. He got so fed up, that for his swan song at his last game he went in with the mentality of (oh, you think my characters are creepy? Fine, I’ll just create a horror game and see if you were right).

Instant Success lol

The man got trolled into making a horror game, expecting to scare nobody and became the face of Indie Horror. This story cracks me up so much.

• helix43
    helix43 Member Posts: 180

Definitely didn't become the face of indie horror. The first game became a YouTube trend, Scott then proceeded to milk the sh*t out of the opportunity causing it to become a stain on the horror genre.

• Baby_Victor
    Baby_Victor Member Posts: 486

Became a Youtube trend because it was a frightening fun experience that was well received and fun to watch others play.

Ya know, becoming so popular and well known that even non-gamers took note of it and when researched or were spoken to about what it is, were told it was a new popular indie horror game.

Becoming the face of Indie Horror. You can cry all you want buddy but you can’t be milked without recognition and to be so iconic and easily recognized in mainstream is what it means to have face.

it’s the face of indie horror.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804
    edited March 2021

If you call Springtrap, a walking corpse trapped in a metal coffin with his skin, teeth and internal organs fully visible who used to kill and experiment, I repeat, EXPERIMENT on children, of all things "child content" i would hate to see what you call "adult only content"

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200

it's already been shot down on a live dev stream, one of the devs answering questions didn't even know what a springtrap was, it's safe to assume FNAF is not even on the devs radar, rightly so

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

I would guess he was probably annoyed, and I guess everyone was as well, I actually felt insulated and labeled as a ten year old for liking a franchise that got me into horror. It did hurt, but I shrug it off, but just because one dev says no, doesn't mean all of them say no

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 680

Yes but also no. I don't think you got the idea of what I was saying. Secondly I never said I disliked or had any dislike towards the fnaf games as I'm actually an big fan of the games and outrageously complicated lore.

Fnaf specifically, not Silent Hill or anything else is what I'm talking about. The nature of the fnaf games and the nature of it's characters just doesn't fit for me.

Either way at the end I don't care if they it or not, personally I'm just worried about how both the fnaf and dbd fanbases will tear a fnaf dlc apart both good and bad.

Then again it will never happen for another year given that Scott as expressed heavily that there will be no crossovers for the fnaf franchise.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

That would be like adding Thomas the tank engine or the sun from Teletubbies. No thanks.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

1 what's his power

sure he be stealthy I say be cool if they could use the lockers for map travel

2 the odds aren't good the only reason we got Steve and Nancy is because they didn't want to put children being abused

they also kill adults in all the game other then the new one you play as an adult

3 they literally kill kids in the game this would be the victor issue all over again but worse

I'm sure they wouldn't use a kid for survivor because in most of the games your not a kid

4 who would a survivor be

sure it be one of the security guards I like there female security guard in the newest game

5 What would even be his weapon his hand?

I'm thinking claws metal claws or something sticking out of they bodys

6 ohh god the furries

I got nothing say about this.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893
  • VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,218

What's this? People are actually being civil about FNAF? The world really is ending.

Personally, I feel it does fit (Springtrap is the rotting, but still somehow animated, "corpse" of a serial child killer inside an equally rotten animatronic suit, and the series is extremely dark and not childish at all, unless your idea of child entertainment is casual disembowelment every other weekday, and how it gets sold at an elementary school level is way beyond me), and would like to see it some time in the future, but there are bigger names that should hold priority for the time being (Alien being the biggest for me, but Jason is probably the most important, lawsuits aside).

If it happens, that's fine by me. If it doesn't, that's also fine by me. But there is no need to shut down the entire idea because YOU don't like it. I think Jason is overrated and boring, but I'm not stopping people from wanting him.

And another dev has stated it as her dream chapter, with the main man Cote seemingly neutral on the topic.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I also feel jason overrated but I know why people want him in it be ok I mean I want sid from scream I'm should people know why they want her.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408

It could be good. Depends how it’s done. I have no feelings about the character either way.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536

this was a way more measured response than I expected. sorry for assuming you were just gonna be an [BAD WORD] about it.

I appreciate it, glad we could be civil about this unlike some of the other arguments that explode on these forums.

• Blindninja
    Blindninja Member Posts: 462

Thank you! These guys wanna argue and act like this isn't for kids

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I think FNaF would be fine as a possible killer-only paragraph (similar to Leatherface), but wouldn't make for a good overall Chapter.

If I'm remembering it correctly, the FNaF protagonists all have 1st-person perspectives. The player never actually sees what these characters look like and all other characters are presented through audio or 8-bit minigames (and I'm not taking some character from the books, we're keeping this exclusive to the main series games). Thus we don't really have a good survivor candidate.

Additionally, if it came with a map (because everyone's clamoring for a new map after almost a year of updates), it'd probably wind up being one of the restaurants or facilities iconic to FNaF. ...Which means another licensed indoor map. Based on the track record for other licensed indoor maps (like The Game, Underground Complex, and Midwich), it would probably look fantastic and be full of neat easter eggs but otherwise offer very mediocre gameplay.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

I think if done correctly Springtrap would be horrifying. Imagine if he has a charge ability where he runs at you and all you hear is thudding while seeing that thing charge at you. It may sound scarier in my head, but the way I imagine it leaves him with lots of a potential.

• Blindninja

Yea well aesthetically it looks like a kids game. Can't help you if you're scared if that silliness

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727

Couldn't have said it better. Looks like my more storytelling approach as a quick overview of the lore wasn't getting through to them. Lol. Thanks dude.

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727

Can't help it if you have to refer to a game where the overarching storyline is about a serial killer who stuffs corpses into animatronics, as a simpleton child's game.

On the other hand I'm not the ERSB, so I'm not the one who gives out age ratings for games here.

Sure, it's got simple gameplay mechanics, but that doesn't automatically make it for kids.

• Blindninja

If you guys consider that horror that shows how easily scared you are.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

I'm sure that Lafite Rothschild 1900 tastes exquisite, but i'm still waiting for those parameters.

I expect clean even numbers.