We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

possible solution to imbalance complaints?

Options

Just a thought. I kind of suck at Dead by Daylight, and I've never agreed with any of the complaints that I feel like I'm constantly reading about on this forum and the DbD subreddit. But a lot the imbalance complaints seem like they're in reference to game play at the higher ranks--or at least higher than my level of play.

Consider this... I wonder if I don't see the imbalance BECAUSE I suck at the game. In other words, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I've plateaued at rank 14--it FEELS balanced to me because I pip up 33% of the time, pip down 33% of the time and safety pip 33% of the time... I've played enough games to have established that I am what my ranking says I am, and to know that ranks 15-13 is where I belong.

With this in mind, do you think it's possible that the imbalance at the higher ranks could be mitigated by having more granularity separating levels of proficiency? What if there were 40 ranks instead of 20, but the matchmaking algorithm still put you up against players of a similarly sized range of rankings as it does currently?

I know nothing about how matchmaking works--maybe what I'm talking about is already baked into the current ranking system, or maybe there are other factors that i'm not seeing/considering... Again, this is just a thought I had.

Comments

• MeowLux
    MeowLux Member Posts: 80
    Options

The problem in balance is that the survivors determine the flow of the game. They decide if they want to survive or die. Currently the killer isn't the power role and that is the problem. Also matchmaking has nothing to do with the balance of the game. A lot of people who are "good" at the game depip on purpose to be in the lower ranks. This causes issues in the matchmaking by making higher rank que times longer and the lower ranks filled with these "good" players. I'd also like to know which side you play. Killer or survivor?

• HeyItsSolomon
    HeyItsSolomon Member Posts: 16
    Options

@MeowLux said:
    The problem in balance is that the survivors determine the flow of the game. They decide if they want to survive or die. Currently the killer isn't the power role and that is the problem. Also matchmaking has nothing to do with the balance of the game. A lot of people who are "good" at the game depip on purpose to be in the lower ranks. This causes issues in the matchmaking by making higher rank que times longer and the lower ranks filled with these "good" players. I'd also like to know which side you play. Killer or survivor?

Hmm, interesting. I'm a survivor main, and it never occurred to me to intentionally depip to stay at a lower rank. But now that you mentioned it, that does help make sense of the fact that sometimes I play alongside other survivors who seem untouchable at rank 14.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

@HeyItsSolomon said:

@MeowLux said:

Hmm, interesting. I'm a survivor main, and it never occurred to me to intentionally depip to stay at a lower rank. But now that you mentioned it, that does help make sense of the fact that sometimes I play alongside other survivors who seem untouchable at rank 14.

You're most likely running into players who would normally be in rank 1, but since they can't take a loss, they purposefully depip in order to go against players who aren't as good as them so it's easier for them to win. You're a perfect target for them unfortunately. There's also nothing we can do about it except dodge. .

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ban them! Ban them all! Initiate order 66!

Yes, do it! Ban them all!