Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Comments

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,754

Imagine you vault with Lithe then the game freezes, and a few seconds later you're on the ground about a dozen feet away up against a tree or wall you apparently ran into. The killer is over you wiping their weapon, prolly giggling at your "choice" of routing...

Every. Dang. Match.

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985
    edited August 2021

I thought that there would be no problems with this chapter, much less did I think that RCPD would become a map due to how complicated it is to chase, I thought it would be Raccoon City in Ruins or Spencer Mansion, but RCPD is still a good map, only that its Performance and playability issues should be worked on and prioritized first, make it a little brighter and fix those pustules I mentioned.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

I have a 3700x with 16 GB of RAM and a rtx 3070

Yesterday on midwich I was having horrible frame drops anytime I used my shock blast. It would routinely cut my frames in half and cause the worse stutter I've ever seen on PC. Looks like I ain't playing Doctor again.

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811

Yes this also happens to me, I'm on PC.

My game freezes for like 3-4 seconds, yersterday I even opened it and cleaned all my gpu and memory contacts, cleaned with isopropili alcohol and all that #########, still went in a game and my first match it freezed again.

This is horrible when playing as Killer, but gives advantage when playing as Survivor, because when your screen freezes, the server will keep running the same input to the other players, so If you were running when it freezes, for other players, your character will just keep running straight to a rock or some wall and then suddenly teleports back when you un-freeze.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

200% I wouldn't even have it on my hard drive if it played even like that even half the time.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
  • The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335

Yup, killer is not playable if you're playing to win (whatever that means to you in DBD). Can barely play to get some challenges done. Survivor is manageable but still rough. It's sad when a player vaults and as killer you lose 1-2 seconds in a freeze. not even a DH involved. RIP

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Anyone loves how stranger things is "the biggest problem" in dbd now? Not the fact that many of us have so many performance problems lol.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

I mean this is the first time ever something like this has happened

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942

Honestly, the game was x2 better before dedicated servers were added imo, check the ping and leave because it relied on killers ping.

Now, yes you can still lobby dodge red ping lobbies, but even with the best effing ping imaginable, you'll get screwed over by the god tier performance. I wouldn't even recommend this game to my enemies, and there's people I've never even talked to at my highschool who join my conversations about how the game is just a laggy/buggy mess.

Like jeez, I get it, having to work out performance issues isn't easy, but they've been promising better performance since back in late 2019, they need to focus on the larger bugs in the game-play for those mid-chapter patches. Because it's ridiculous how so many players, myself included are just deciding the game isn't worth it with how messy the gameplay itself is.

With the release of a new chapter, we are most likely guaranteed more bugs to add on to the pile. It's just bs.

Note: It's 0:50 right now, my apologies for any gramical errors.

• JellyBelly
    JellyBelly Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2021

I stopped playing the game for over 3 weeks due to the amount that PS4 performance has been affected. But I'm addicted to this genre (and BHVR know it), so what the hell am I gonna do? I've been playing DBD since it came out in 2016. Obviously, I used to play it on steam back then but moved to a PS4 Pro console mostly for the comfort and massive TV screen.

The underlying framework the game is built on has never been efficient enough to handle the amount of graphical upscaling that has incrementally been added to the game over time (as I have witnessed as a long time player).

BHvR is kinda stuck without a considerable time and money investment because it requires a rewrite of the core game so that it can utilise modern graphics processing hardware efficiently. The game was coded poorly, without real upscaling and expansion considerations.

I've seen a few comments out there that are criticising it as the "######### consoles" fault. Which is just nonsense stemming from the tribalism of the PC Vs Console crowds.

A case in point, there are so many other games I play on my PS4 Pro that outstrip DBD in complexity, framerate, map size, massive number of polygons etc, etc...

They should look at the beauty and scale of the latest Tomb Raider series, any of the latest CoD games of the Farcry series...

BHVR are more likely to just start producing a complete rewrite as DBD 2 with the goal of "hooking" (pun intended) the DBD community into spending all their monies on it in the next year or so.

However, I can foresee and predict a massive backlash if they do that. A backlash where the game will be boycotted (as happened to Star Wars Battlefront II).

BHVR should tread lightly else lose millions on the whim of the angry masses.

Just my 2 cents worth 🤷

• Shaped

Yeah but lets be real how many people not on last gen cared compared to what is happening now with st?

But it is normal because people mostly care about what affects them no matter the proportions of the problem. It is easier to say console players bad than aknowledging the fact that we are handicaped. Not everyone is like that I know but many are.

Heck, even I didn't know what players on switch go through since day 1 and never gave a thought about it. So it is hypocritical of me to complain actually but whatever. At least I am not minimising big problems when I learn about them with excuses. And I am not brushing it of like it is nothing.

Stranger things on the other hand lets see. People get to keep everything they payed for. I really don't see how this is "death of dbd". I mean I sympathise with people and I don't support what is happening but can they (most of them) still play the game if they are not on last gen without tremendous problems? Yes.

Did the game fundamentally changed in any way except one map not being in a game? No.

I would play this game even if they removed all licenses because it would still be the same game to me with the same gameplay and concept. What drawed me in in the first place. It was cool seeing familiar characters but if you think about it most of us are here because of the addicting gameplay and chases.

On the other hand if the game won't work properly there is no way to enjoy it more than you are frustrated. I would gladly give up most of the things except core gameplay for the working game.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

I think he looks fun to play if you're on high end PC that doesn't experience performance issues and are using m&k, I can see from gameplay why those players would love him. I'm watching and know he'll most likely be a killer I rarely see on console because performance issues and pain on controller. It's a bummer because I do love Hellraiser.

I'm hoping some PC folks will try him out on controller and leave feedback in the PTB section here or on the survey in game. At the very least have controller feedback started now instead of waiting for console to start giving feedback in nearly a month.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

BHVR supposedly tests this things, and yet they took half a year to make Blight playable on console and Trickster almost 2 chapters later is still a waste of time on controller even after the numerous changed he received.

I just hope this isn't RE patch 2.0 for consoles, especially when a lot of the problems that chapter brought are coming back.

• 1miko
    1miko Member Posts: 268

So, do you console people get PTB or that's PC only? If you could access PTB, how was it?

Also, thread name change, had a hard time finding this again >:(

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

more specifically, steam only. I have dbd on Windows Store so I can't play Clown on Ptb 😥

• Shaped

What patch on consoles tho?

I didn't get anything.

• JellyBelly
    JellyBelly Member Posts: 2

You need to select the PTB in the game options in steam.

• Shaped

I am on console like I said. And some people here said that there was some kind of unintentional patch or something we got.

• Demogorgeouse
    Demogorgeouse Member Posts: 361

Couldnt agree more. We waited 2 months for a hotfix just for it to make less framedrops but laghier one

• JPLongstreet

Consolers: What is this "Steam" you speak of? They sell clothes or chili-dogs or sumthin?

• Shaped

I know it is probably a joke but I bet that people know about steam no matter what platform they currently play most on.

• Shaped

Anyones game randomly freezing wothout anyone doing anything known to cause issues? Just got downed by freedy on a safe loop because I couldn't move for a few seconds and he got to me. It was not dead hard. Does the game freezes when someone enters dream state too?

It is beyond frustrating that it is somehow acceptable that game is in this state for so long. Console players bad.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

I can't remember last time I didn't get freezes playing against Freddy, he's always been one that anytime I enter Dreamworld I get fps drops. Like with sloppy I've had freezes when other players enter Dreamworld, a Freddy with sloppy is just bad time for performance. The freezes are definitely much harsher since the RE patch.

As a whole the freezes I get from triggers causing FPS drops feel way worse than they used to. I've also had full 5-10 second freezes for absolutely no reason, atleast none I can tell, where I'm worried my game will crash.

• Shaped

God. I think we are running out of things that don't cause freezes. :(

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

Played a bunch of games yesterday and today (PS4), most were actually solid for once. Even playing as Oni, zipping around with his power I had zero issues. However, during these days of playing (same back when I played during the Anniversary & last Bloodhunt) had a bunch of matches play HORRIBLY.

So far the main factors I found to be playing Pyramid Head with his Powers to cause performance issues, the other was that Midwich was a CONSTANT hellhole for me. Played on Midwich as Trapper, as Michael Myers, Wraith and so forth. With different Perks etc, so no other common factor played a part other than the map itself.

Took video of the moments of one matches I had on the map. The rest of my matches I had before and after this one, were on different maps and I had few to no performance issues. I had issues similar to these on the revamped Farm Maps like Thompson House (and the other daytime Farm Map variants) when I played a few weeks ago. One issue I've never seen before is at one point in the video when 3 Survivors were gathered, I smacked Jake (you hear him scream) but he doesn't get injured the first hit and took a second hit to injure him. I had no issues on my end relating to internet, no other match have I had this happen before in recent gameplay.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2021

In my recent experience the in game community has become cruel and not willing to go in for anything due to just the game lagging, underperforming and killing them. This game is dead imo when the whole night, week, month absolutely no one plays for the team. Dark times, BHVR. PLEASE ADDRESS PERFORMANCE. Stop with the content.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452

Not going to happen. Content is way more important than some console players it seems.

• Shaped
    edited August 2021

It happens if you are survivor too. I swear whenever I get 3 teammates from my platform and we go against a pc killer it is always sloppy butcher and obnoxious playstyles and builds coupled with killers that cause most freezes.

Don't get me wrong I am always saying that everyone has the right to play how they want but I can't help but think there are some sadistic people out there who enjoy making game as much miserable as possible for others.

I know that I could be wrong too but knowing the community it wouldn't surprise me at all that we are not imagining things.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

It's hilarious that i can pretty much always tell when my teammates have Dead Hard even if they're getting chased on the other side of the map

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Yes,sometimes the game just loves to freeze for absolutely no reason.

Very fun

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited August 2021

Regardless of all this and the disastrous Resident Evil launch, people will happily hand over their cash for Pinhead. It's so tiresome.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697
  • JPLongstreet

Yup just like when Sloppy gets applied, everyone's console hiccups.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    edited August 2021

I still haven't bought RE chapter yet because I still lag a lot playing against Nemesis, so I expect playing as him should be worse.

Can't even imagine how it is going to be for Pinhead. Each of those chains spawning will probably freeze the console for 1~2 seconds.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452

I wasn't planning on buying anything for this game anymore, but since Stranger Things is going away, I'm buying the DLC and a few skins during the sale. So if I want to return to the game, I have those unlocked still.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Kinda surprised this thread is still going... I'm sure they are aware of the issues. Posting the same things over and over for 96 pages isn't going to make it go faster. I'm sure it'll get fixed if they can do it.