Coldwind Farm Changes/General Matchmaking/Lobby Sim Feedback

Please revert to the old maps. These new ones are aesthetically displeasing to look at, and far too bright for a Dead By Daylight map. Have ended up on nothing but Coldwind Farm every match tonight, the map keeps alternating between Torment Creek and the Thompson House. It's coming to a point where I will probably DC on any Coldwind Farm map in the future, because it hurts my eyes to look at the map. If I wanted to be blinded, I would be playing killer and letting survivors flashlight blind me, not running a Coldwind offering. Get these terrible Coldwind Farm map reworks out of Dead By Daylight, please.

Or rather, I would DC on every Coldwind Farm map, if not for the fact that matchmaking takes ages, even with rank-based matchmaking seemingly currently turned off and crossplay being enabled. At current, I wait about 10 minutes for a match that lasts under 5 minutes. On top of that, the ranks in the lobby make no sense. I've been queueing in a 2-stack SWF (r6 and r4 survivors, respectively), nothing crazy that should theoretically throw off matchmaking or heavily limit potential lobbies. I've been getting rank 17-20 perkless 'teammates' (I use that term loosely when referring to dead weight) against purple or better ranked killers.

Dead By Daylight is more of a shitshow than usual after this upate, it would seem. Guess it's time to take another several-month-long break. Whoever's reading this (if anyone), hope y'all have a nice day.

Comments

• Astrian
    Astrian Member Posts: 320

This isn't feedback, this is just you complaining because for some reason you have your brightness settings set to maximum on your monitor.

Not every map in the game needs to be super dark and dreary, believe it or not different times of the day exist.

I for one am glad that the development team is exploring other ways of displaying the maps in the game outside of their usual formula. They aren't all going to be winners in everybody's eyes but at least they're trying and at least in my opinion their execution is spot on.

• shootaman777
    shootaman777 Member Posts: 138

@Astrian

Google defines 'feedback' as "information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc. which is used as a basis for improvement". I was unaware that complaint due to the direct actions of a developer was not classified as feedback. Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding of the dictionary definition of 'feedback' **/s**. Apparently, in your version of reality, negative feedback does not exist; it must either be positive feedback, or it is not feedback at all. Careful there, your shining armour is showing, BHVR's corporate white knight.

I do not have the brightness on my monitor set high, because I do not enjoy being blinded by a screen. I have blackout curtains and the lights out, generally, to avoid glare making the screen difficult to see. Which makes painfully bright colours all the more painful to look at, as my eyes are generally adjusted to the relative dark.

Think about this for a moment, in the context of the game. The loading screen is, essentially, pitch-black. Then, the screen instantly goes bright white, if it is a Coldwind Farm map.

We've been through this before and already reached the proper conclusion - don't do that to players. Remember how flashlight blinding was changed to darken the screen out, instead of making the screen flare bright white? Remember how this was done to prevent players from getting headaches? This should not even be a point of contention - BHVR should address this in the same way that they have in the past.

And, if it turns out that bright maps somehow add to horror (in my opinion, they don't), then there is always the solution of gradually increasing brightness throughout the match. Let's say that the Entity starts the trial at the crack of an artificial dawn, and as time progresses in the match, the map gets progressively brighter until a certain point that we can call 'noon'. Even a gradually moving two-dimensional image of a sun in the sky would be good enough to explain away this brightening-over-time effect.

Sure, it's nice that BHVR is trying to do something differently, but making the same mistake twice is not positive change. If that is what you call 'spot-on execution', I would question your perception abilities. The fact that BHVR did this, makes me question whether or not BHVR's QA tested for anything other than bugs, and/or whether or not non-bug-related QA feedback is ignored by the rest of BHVR.

• Astrian

Okay fine, this isn't VALID feedback.

You know exactly what I mean yet since you want to play semantics and be super specific, then I'll be as specific as I possibly can be so you can understand it better. This isn't something that is of fault of the game's design, but user error, the user's inability to customize their experience and insistence on blaming somebody else for their own faults.

The kids nowadays in the year of 2021 would colloquially call this a "Bad Take".

In your second paragraph you said:

I do not have the brightness on my monitor set high, because I do not enjoy being blinded by a screen. I have blackout curtains and the lights out, generally, to avoid glare making the screen difficult to see. Which makes painfully bright colours all the more painful to look at, as my eyes are generally adjusted to the relative dark.

You admit, that the problems you have with the new Coldwind map are problems that you yourself have created. By your own elimination of color and life from your room, you have therefore eliminated any possibility of your eyes perceiving colors that evoke and sort of hope or time of day to the point where it physically blinds you.

How you managed to type out this comment is nothing short of a miracle I'm sure. Of course this is a "joke" as we all know that your room is illuminated by the colors of the RGB lights in your gaming setup and provides sufficient exposure to the natural colors of our reality.

Going back on topic, you continue by saying:

Think about this for a moment, in the context of the game. The loading screen is, essentially, pitch-black. Then, the screen instantly goes bright white, if it is a Coldwind Farm map.

The word essentially is an adverb that is often used to emphasize the basic, fundamental, or intrinsic nature of a person, thing, or situation. However this word does not suit the loading screen when entering a trial in the hit horror game, Dead by Daylight. I present the loading screen itself as evidence.

Using the program, Adobe Photoshop 2021, though I'm sure other photo editing programs can do this as well, I have used the Color Picker tool to view what color the focal center of the loading screen is, the ticks. As you can see, when they are fully illuminated they are completely white, meaning that nothing else is brighter than this screen. Contrasted with the, in your words, "Pitch Black" rest of the loading screen, this is probably the brightest section of the entire game.

Not only is it not "Pitch Black" but there's no physical way that the Coldwind map could blind you with it's brightness when the loading screen is physically more bright than the thing you're complaining about.

The only things I can possibly think of that would cause your fatal blindness would be either:

1. Your perception of color is so terribly off as you somehow perceive the oranges, blues and yellows of Coldwind as brighter than literal pure white, in which case I hope you don't have any desire to be an artist because that's pretty bad.
    2. Something is wrong with your setup, whether it be the brightness settings in your game / monitor, or it's because you play in the darkest room imaginable staring at RGB your entire time.

Though I think I've made my point, I'll move on to the rest of your comment just so you don't think I'm not being throughout enough.

We've been through this before and already reached the proper conclusion - don't do that to players. Remember how flashlight blinding was changed to darken the screen out, instead of making the screen flare bright white? Remember how this was done to prevent players from getting headaches? This should not even be a point of contention - BHVR should address this in the same way that they have in the past.

The issue is, the old flashlight blind screen was nowhere near similar to what Coldwind is now. Here is a reference in case you forgot.

Like I said earlier, unless you cannot perceive the difference between White and the various colors of new Coldwind, I think most would agree that White /=/ Orange / Blue / Yellow. Thus making your feedback, invalid.

And, if it turns out that bright maps somehow add to horror (in my opinion, they don't), then there is always the solution of gradually increasing brightness throughout the match. Let's say that the Entity starts the trial at the crack of an artificial dawn, and as time progresses in the match, the map gets progressively brighter until a certain point that we can call 'noon'. Even a gradually moving two-dimensional image of a sun in the sky would be good enough to explain away this brightening-over-time effect.

Horror is extremely subjective, as many different things scare many different people. With the new Coldwind map, the horror is not the same as the previous maps. What is eery and scary for one, may not be for another.

The saying: Different Strokes for Different Folks comes to mind.

It is perfectly fine for you to not feel scared or get the horror, but the game should not be tailored to your specific desires. As I said before, just because you don't think it's super scary does not mean others do not, or do not enjoy it. Saying you don't like the design of the map seemingly "just cause" is not valid feedback.

Sure, it's nice that BHVR is trying to do something differently, but making the same mistake twice is not positive change. If that is what you call 'spot-on execution', I would question your perception abilities. The fact that BHVR did this, makes me question whether or not BHVR's QA tested for anything other than bugs, and/or whether or not non-bug-related QA feedback is ignored by the rest of BHVR.

1. They didn't make the same mistake twice as I've explained before.
    2. We all know BHVR has trouble making good decisions for the health of the game, but for once in a long time they actually managed to get it mostly right in an update and I think they should get a pass even if there are slight bugs or hiccups in gameplay. None of this stems from the design of the map, but from their poorly coded engine that most would compare to spaghetti

And yes, in case you are wondering, I am this bored to have written this entire thing out just for you. <3

• shootaman777
    shootaman777 Member Posts: 138

I'll get back to you soon, Astrian. I'll be playing the game rather than being on the forums, for the time being. The odds of getting a Coldwind map are lower, so I'll be enjoying that while it lasts.

• Astrian

Spend the time fixing your brightness settings or going outside so seeing natural colors doesn't burn your eyes so badly. <3