Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Wraith is ridiculous now!

KA149108
KA149108 Member Posts: 337

I'm talking about buffed wraith. I genuinely believe he's too much now. Not only does he move super fast that he basically beats you to a loop he has a stupid speed buff when coming out of uncloacked which rendures majority of pallets unsafe than useual.

Seriously it's too much! And don't give me "just get gud" he beats you to every loop and you have to drop pallets quick because of his stupid lunge.

Comments

• CringeGame
    CringeGame Member Posts: 25

no killer is op everything in this game is survivor sided maybe just spirit is op

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Depends on the map.

• KA149108

I don't have any comments about Demo but Wraith is crazy now.

• KA149108

Tbh with his speed when cloaked maps aren't a problem really.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

People are talking about Demo bieng strong. I can understand wraith because they did not need to make his already long lunge even longer but demo?

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Wraith has been improved, period. Saying that a bunch of people just independently chose to bag on him for arbitrary reasons ignores their arguments. Which are, that facing him now feels overly cheap. Free hits are lame and he's become much more difficult to avoid so those free hits are now quite common.

You may not find him frustrating, but plenty of others do.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Wraith is just more consistant then before but old wraith with a single windstorm add-on is ironically more powerful then the current one.

As windstorm never actually had a penalty(The penalty value on all tiers was Zero) making prechange wraith the stronger version as he moved faster while uncloaking.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,364

I don't think Wraith should be committing to chases uncloaked now. He can easily catch up cloaked now. And uncloaking into his lunge is effective as it. Plus a cloaked wraith can still body block a pallet or vault helping to remove options of safety as he uncloaks.

Hit and Run approach is probably Wraith's most effective build now with the speed buff, but it's a bit annoying getting no boldness since now Wraiths never have to commit to chase.

• miketheratguy

I can't speak much for the specifics of pre-buff Wraith with perks, I wasn't that familiar with him before. Subjectively I just know that I enjoyed playing against him because I didn't mind the challenge and found him to be one of the cooler, more balanced killers. It's only now after he's gotten stronger, can go without using the bell (his one reliable tell), is guaranteed a hit as long as he uncloaks within like ten feet of you, etc., that I find him incredibly cheap and frustrating to play against. Most of the players follow the same pattern now as well, which is cloak, find, uncloak, hit, repeat. There's not much gameplay, it's just guessing and hoping for the best.

Yesterday night I played a game against him (granted he was red rank thanks to the matchmaking bug, but still): It was down to myself and two other survivors on Crotus Prenn. He slugged one and as I tried to make my way around the structure for the save he hooked another. My perks showed that he then spent the next 30 seconds or so walking back and forth between them. The hooked one died so he went over to hang out by the slugged one. I knew that I was screwed so I walked back in the other direction. I ran across a hex totem and broke it. Just in that time he'd managed to appear out of nowhere and clobber me to the dying state. I had no warning. No sound, no bell, no blur, no anything. He was camping when his aura disappeared, so I assumed (my mistake I guess) that he was waiting for me to take the bait. I didn't, and before I even knew what was happening I was now on the ground. Short of hiding like a ######### or spinning my camera in a mad 360 to try to catch his blur on a dark map (and if I saw his blur he would have been too close anyway) I don't know what I could have done to avoid that scenario. Maybe if he used his bell I at least would have had warning, same with if I'd had all of three seconds to catch him uncloaking. Nope, just one second he's on the other side of a large structure baiting a slug, and the next second I'm slugged too. That's not playing, that's just creeping around, hoping for the best.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

Well, the killer I've mained for the past three years is the newest one targeted. Guess I'll move on to Oni.

To be fair, I completely understand the stuff about his super-lunge. It never needed to be buffed IMO.

• miketheratguy

All I know is that until a few weeks ago he always used the bell and I never felt like I had to just hand him a free hit for every uncloack. After the last patch (or perhaps the one before, I can't keep track of some of the adjustments they've made) it's been like that almost every time: No bell, unavoidable hits. Granted, you are correct that the matchmaking has only made it worse.

• OGlilSPOOK20
    OGlilSPOOK20 Member Posts: 716

Lmao you do know they nerfed his uncloak lunge speed when they buffed his cloaked speed right? So it's worse then what it use to be.

Plus if he's beating you to a loop just run the other direction or trick him into moving. I do this all the time.

DON'T JUST STAND IN THE PALLET WHILE HE'S UNCLOAKING ALLOWING HIM A 50/50. Play around the other side of the loop (the longer side).

I like buffed Wraith he deserves it. But don't complain about how good a killer is now instead of just getting better yourself. Learn to adapt and "Git Gud".

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

This is why we cant have nice things, a bad killer gets buffed to actually not need an add-on to be fun and we get people complaining about it once a week till they remember his weaknesses.

• KA149108

I'm not bad at the game but I'm definitely not a god or anything (and wouldn't say I was) I believe I'm average, I can loop for a while with hopes my team are doing gens. I still stand by my statememt. We both have our different opinions which is fine.

• KA149108
  • lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    edited May 2021

I think Wraith needed buff and understand Wraith to have Purple Windstorm as default but his increased speed burst time (which is now 1.25 sec) is kinda over-buff I think.

I really don't want to encounter him in certain maps like Pale Rose or Midwich.

And some of his addons... so tough while I am doing Solo Que.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

Oh no you have to pay attention, he still has shimmer but sure you cant see it from the other side of a map. Trust me if you attentive and prepared you can still easily make it to a pallet before he can get a "cheap" hit on you, can a wraith do things to mitigate that yes but so can you.

• kaijudane
    kaijudane Member Posts: 139

I wish I could say something about either of those killers but lately I only play against Freddy and Blight

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

These threads are getting ridiculous lol. Wraith got some nice quality of life changes and a relatively small buff but he plays mostly the same as he always did, albeit in some games he’ll get an extra kill due to a combination of factors.

Sure he has good map traversal, but he doesn’t possess the lethality required to make that overpowering. More often than not he’ll smack you and run off to smack someone else. If he commits to you and you’re a competent looper @ some decent tiles he’ll most likely lose outright because he won’t be playing into his strengths and will instead be playing into his disadvantages.

Wraith’s primary strength is catching people out of position and getting free hits. He’s great at that and he is supposed to be, but it’s compensated by the fact that he’s one of the weaker chasers when it comes to stronger loops, at which he can’t hit you via uncloaking unless you mess up. He’ll be forced to play an an m1 killer with no power instead.

You counter him by doing gens efficiently whilst wasting as much of his time as possible. If he’s one of the very few good Wraiths, he won’t let you waste much time, but all things equal it will be neck and neck regardless as his gen pressure just isn’t very high even with his fast movement speed.

Efficient healing is also extremely strong when combined with efficient gen progression and he’ll have an extremely hard time clawing back the game. He’s going to hit people. He’s going to hook people. That’s just part of the game. The key is time management.

If you’re really, really struggling, just run a super efficient healing build because it counters him like crazy, even if he’s running Nurse’s Calling and the addon the applies mangled. Wraith relies on his hit and run style to pressure people into being out of position whilst injured. That’s where his true lethality lies. Super efficient healing counters this so hard that it’s immensely difficult for him to get any lasting pressure before the gens put too much pressure of him to claw back the game. He’ll just be injuring people over and over with the occasional down thrown in, until the last gen pops.

If you’re @ a weak pallet just stand partially inside it. Don’t run around. Just stand there. I know it’s counterintuitive but just do it. If he’s bad he’ll walk into the pallet thinking he is blocking it, and you just stun him and move to the next. You can repeat this all match for an easy win.

If he’s good however, he’ll try to mindgame with his bell. When he uncloaks, if he curves around behind you, just step forwards and drop the pallet. If he goes the other side, just drop the pallet. If the pallet is particularly unsafe, just drop it in advance and run around it. When he uncloaks just vault the pallet of fake it. It’s a 50/50.

When @ a window just stand in front of it. Again he’ll try to mind game but all you need to do is vault the window as he uncloaks and he can’t hit you unless it’s one of those tiny windows. If he tries to swing at your side of the window, you just vault. If he tries to curve around to hit you as you land, just vault back and immediately keep running at whichever angle gains you the most distance. In the majority of cases he won’t hit you as you vault back but if he does, you lost the 50/50. No big deal.

You’re not supposed to be able to outplay Wraith at weak pallets/loops. The idea is to simply waste as much of his time as possible, even if it’s only a few extra seconds. He’s going to hit you whether you like it or not and that’s his purpose. He would be very weak if this weren’t the case.

At the end of the day it’s no big deal. You get hit, run to another tile, get hit again, get hooked, gens pop, rescue happens, rinse and repeat until you either win or lose.

To suggest that Wraith is OP or that his buffs were too much is to suggest that he’s on the same level as Spirit and Nurse, even Blight. He’s just not. I don’t see how anyone can make such a suggestion with a straight face. Wraith is an upper B tier killer, possibly an A tier killer on some maps with some builds. Asking for nerfs is asking for a step backwards. We should be buffing other killers to A/B tier, not nerfing everything people struggle against. Various people struggle against literally everything in the game.

TDLR people really don’t know how to play vs Wraith because until recently he was a very rare sight. Now that he’s received some much needed quality of life changes and some small tweaks, he is being played again and people are getting frustrated because they don’t know what to do against him, coupled with the fact that he’s just one of those frustrating killers to face. Frustrating is not the same as overpowering. If you genuinely find him overpowering, try to analyse what is going on and see if you can make adjustments to your approach. Chances are you’ll do much better but your team will still run around in the open and throw the match, but that’s a DBD issue, not a Wraith issue.

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Member Posts: 213

This is bs. I have 2400 hours in this game and new wraith is literally annoying the same way Freddy was a few months ago since he doesnt have a high skill cap to achieve great results. I used to play old wraith for some dozens of hours and usually 4keyd with him within purple ranks and only struggled a few times within the red ranks (before the infinite nerf). New wraith is much stronger and receives undeserved free hits consistently.

• Sweet_Potato

Thats what BHVR says. But it doesnt change anything. When Freddys hits look like bs on your screen, they still look like bs. It like the recent "desync argument": Its fine if a killer hits you from 10 meters as long as it looks normally on the killer's side.

I also guess Freddys dream world adds some additional lags to the game, so there is a bigger chance to get dedicated.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

'Thats what BHVR says'. What does that even mean? Are you claiming BHVR is lying because your experience is different? Because it 'looks like BS' to you?

Ok. Imagine it this way; Trapper has to lunge 5 feet; it looks normal, because he's big and has a long reach. It looks like he takes one or two steps, and whaps you.

Then a 1 foot tall character comes along & has the same 5 foot lunge. Only he has to leap forward, because he's FREAKING TINY AND CAN'T COVER THE DISTANCE IN TWO STEPS.

Same distance, but it looks like the 1 foot tall character is screeching forwards because of his size.

Now do you get why Freddy LOOKS like he's reaching further, even though he's going the same distance? Your 'looks like' does not trump what BHVR has OFFICALLY said.

People have even recorded it; Freddy reaches no further than any other killer. All Killer lunges are the same. Your subjective experience means nothing.

• Sweet_Potato
    edited May 2021

I said clearly what Ive meant. If the animation looks bs on your screen, it remains bs. I understand your argument, but it doesnt make anything better. You can find tons of videos where Freddy hits survivors who are meters aways from his arm.

You should expect a clear animation where killers weapon actually reaches the survivor texture instead of imagine a Trapper with a huge machete in the place of Freddy when a he is about to hit you.

• miketheratguy

I may agree with you if I had more practice, but it's genuinely difficult getting any in with the Wraith being as good as he is now.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

Ikr, ridiculous. It's like he has Demogorgeous power except that he's not stuck in a fixed straight line, it's flexible.

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

He's literally the exact same. They just gave him a purple addon basket, the lunge is the same as it always was, you just saw wraith buff and thought "HURRR DURR WRAITH OP NOW"

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It feels very much so changed to me. It's an actual chasing tool now, it's so damn cool.

• NightmareKiller
    NightmareKiller Member Posts: 181

It's funny how it SUDDENLY started out of nowhere, He got that buff a while ago. Yet they choose this precise moment to be loud.

I wonder if it's because they get mocked when they cry about Spirit so they moved onto another killer or some streamer cried about Wraith and now they all follow like sheep. Could always be it's one single survivor and making all the threads himself.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Tbh if you're getting windstorm lunged like that, chances are you were gonna get hit anyway, the lunge just sped up the process by a few seconds. The only time the lunge is useful in a chase is around a short loop, you should be able to make it to a pallet or a good window before he gets a chance to lunge. But you play against Wraith the same way you've been playing against him for the last 2 years, only now he has another add-on slot which was enough to make people realise he's actually good so he's a popular killer now.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

I totally agree. He is absurd, he is so broken it seems like a bug! He gets a free hit every time he uncloaks. And super fast map traversal as a bonus.

Now, imagine if survivors got to have multiple sprint bursts per chase or multiple dead hards. That's exactly what wraith is.

• Amy095
    Amy095 Member Posts: 96

I think your maths are a little off Sluzzy.

Its a 1V4 remember.. so multiple sprint bursts is an invalid argument. You can do better than that!

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

Sluzzy agreed with you, immediately disregard the thread

Jk... Sorta

• miketheratguy

Part of the problem for me is that I found him good before. Balanced and equitable. The people who say that he isn't good seem to base it on his looping and nothing else (I'm not saying you, just what I generally see). But when you think about it, we're talking about a killer who is not only invisible, but MUCH faster while invisible, who now is even harder to see, but can now also turn visible at a moment's notice with no tell or indication of any kind (unless you get lucky to get a Wraith that comes at you head on thus allowing you to see his blur) AND quickly hit you before you can react.

And I just haven't ever understood the arguments for counterplay. "Be by a window". What, the whole game? "Predrop all the pallets". A Wraith isn't going to see you doing that or simply find an alternate path around them? "Run this perk and that perk". Specifically build a character to counter just ONE killer?

I understand, I'm not nearly as practiced in this game as most of you. I readily admit that. I readily admit that a lot of this is me not having enough practice. But I mean, a superfast invivisble killer that has a very obvious tell (which also slows him down long enough to have a chance to get away) is one thing. There's balance there. That's why everyone hates the Spirit right? Her tells are too difficult, the game is just guesswork. That's what everyone says. Well, I mean, when you're facing an invisible, superfast, silent killer who can come up and nail you out of nowhere for a free hit (and I automatically dismiss any argument that says "he's a stealth killer, he's supposed to get free hits"), that's a whole different, much more frustrating game altogether. I'm legit sorry for anyone who thought that he was crap before, I never did. But it seems as if the people who do are now being defensive that he's no longer crap, without allowing for the possibility that maybe his combined powers are now a little TOO much.

That's all I'm saying.

• Laurie268
    Laurie268 Member Posts: 573

I think they definitely overbuffed him, he can traverse the map so fast now. And he can abuse the uncloaking speed to easily down survivors at pallets. They should either decrease the speed he gets when he uncloaks so he can’t abuse it, or lower his movement speed while cloaked.

• Sluzzy

It's not fair for the one player to just automatically lose.

• Amy095
    Amy095 Member Posts: 96

Personally, I've won a number of games against wraith.

So.. are you talking about the top 1% of Wraith players vs Survivors.. or killers and survivors within the normal distribution?

• Sluzzy

For the rank 1 wraiths I've usually versed they know how to block windows, block pallets, can uncloak and literally zoom all the way around a loop and there is nothing you can do to avoid a hit. I've never left a wraith match and said it was fair. I felt cheated every time.