Hatch opening issue (action priority)

philomela
philomela Member Posts: 34

Despite having a purple key and standing over the hatch with the 'open hatch' prompt showing, I was unable to open the hatch. At first I thought it was a hatch opening bug but instead my character decided to pick up an item which wasn't even on the hatch (a map we had used to locate the hatch earlier), it was on the ground a few ft away and wasn't showing pick up prompts.

To make matters worse, when I tried to swap the key for an item to move that item away, I didn't get the 'pick up item' prompt if I was standing still (I only got the open hatch prompt). Whilst moving the pick up item prompt showed, once I moved too far or stopped moving, I got 'open hatch'. This was very confusing. You don't realise how much you rely on the prompts until they aren't showing correctly!

Naturally at this point the killer appears and starts raining slaps upon us, and so we were unable to move the items away from the area. Ultimately a neat triple escape turned into a 4K and huge feelbads.

Yes ideally there would be no items in the hatch area but unfortunately a chest spawned nearby so we had multiple medkits and things lying there, and we had been looking for the hatch with a map.

This is an issue of incorrect action priorities with the UI.

Reproduction:

1. Drop items on or nearby to the hatch (doesn't have to be that close, presumedly just slightly within the pickup radius.
  2. Try to open the hatch with a key.
  3. Observe that you will drop the key for the item that you didn't know you could pick up.
  4. Also observe that the 'pick up item' prompt doesn't show correctly when carrying the key (because its overridden by the 'open hatch' prompt.. which doesn't work).

Expected:

if someone has a key and they are on the hatch (and especially if the only prompt on screen is 'press [button/key] to open hatch'...) then the hatch should open. Picking up items should never override this, because as in the case above, it can literally cost everyone the match.

Better solution: when there are two conflicting prompts, show two separate prompts with different button/key presses - even if these are non-standard (not as configured in settings).

For example, in my case X is pick up item and open hatch, but it would be fine if in this case I was shown 'RB pick up item' (skillcheck button) instead.

Platform: Windows

Controller: Xbox One

Map: Coldwind Farm

1 votes

Pending · Last Updated