The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Remembering your first ever match

So I am curious as to what everyone's experiences were as their first ever match as killer or survivor. Mine was okay. My very first match ever being a new player I didn't realize that you shouldn't pull someone off a hook with the killer right there by them. Boy did I get an earful after the match lol. Since that day I never pull anyone off with the killer by them. With that said when that happens to me I don't get angry or say anything because they may be new.

Comments

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

used demo got a 4k

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    edited June 2021

I was with my friends. My first killer was Michael and I was so excited to see him! Im such a fan of the series.

We were on Haddon and I was doing a gen alone on the street. I saw Michael and he was just standing there. I remember saying "omg guys its Michael! This is so cool!!! He isn't doing anything, does he see me?" The comedic timing was insane. As soon as my friends started screaming run teir 3 went off and I was downed real quick. I was like "How he do that? What happened? What does the music mean!?" Everyone was laughing like crazy.

I miss playing with my friends ;___; *goes back to solo queue sadly*

• LylakLavender
    LylakLavender Member Posts: 339

I solo all the time too. I feel your pain. We soloing survivors need to stick together lol.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

My friends all moved on from dbd. They got burnt out and then they got busy ;__; our schedules are opposite to. They are night owls and Im a morning lark.

I miss swf. Not for the easier time but for the laughs 🥲

• GrimmGaliard
    GrimmGaliard Member Posts: 258

My friend nagged me to get it the day after it released on consoles. There was no tutorial or instructions. I knew nothing about what the game is or what you do in it, but I saw a big dude with a knife clobber someone. So I hid in a locker until I got crows, saved a few people but got caught again and couldn't be saved.

Never touched a single generator. I was beyond confused and wondering what I was supposed to do.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,404

My first match as survivor is a mystery to me. I think it was on Azarov's Resting Place against a Huntress, but I am not sure. That could've been my second match. Or third. It is hard to say.

But I do remember a little bit of my first killer match. Old Freddy on Torment Creek. Not sure how many kills I got, if any, but that trials was what made me realize that I had found my favorite game.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

Oh god lol i remember playing survivor, thrust right into the BBQ event i had no clue what is going on! i very much played a game maybe two and was like nah, sod this i am out. A nap later i was like nope i am determine, and i really can't recall my first killer game.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Back during the release week on PS4, 2017. I believe I used Trapper. When I hooked someone, I repeatedly slashed away at them thinking they would die quicker.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I played against a bubba. I died fast. don't remember much besides that.

1st killer match was with hag. I had no idea how to follow scratchmarks, or how hags power worked really... if I killed anyone it was a miracle

• aroell
    aroell Member Posts: 477

I downloaded the game and did the tutorial but didn’t start playing until a few months later, so I loaded into the game as Meg and didn’t know how to run and died instantly. I think it was coldwind farm or Macmillan estate.

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

Used Billy, got bullied because of me being bad at keyboard and mouse.

Fortunately, Nurse came out shortly after, who is the only killer I can play on KB+M, because she's basically W+M.

• celesteismore
    celesteismore Member Posts: 173

My first game as survivor I played as Meg because my friend who kept telling me to get it told me to play as her. I did the tutorial but I was confused on how to run I was doing a crouch walk. I got down and someone pallet saved me and I accidentally slow vaulted the pallet and got grabbed from it. I think I died on my first hook because I got camped to death.

I don't remember my first killer game but I think I played trapper.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

My first match as a survivor was against a Nurse. Didn't stand a chance, obviously.

As a killer, I first picked Wraith and face camped everyone I got on a hook. At the time it seemed the most logical thing to do. Needless to say I was flamed hard in the chat.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,956

I actually remember my first survivor game I hid in corners and threw every pallet I came across as a form of defense

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408
    edited June 2021

Survivor on Thompson house vs nurse. Never saw her once the whole trial. Did my Gens and left.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,736
    edited June 2021

It was a Michael on Azarov's resting place. I had no clue what I was doing and the fact he didn't have a terror radius and I didn't know how to move my camera.

I died first, and it lead to me despising Autohaven + Michael for about a year.

I now despise them for completely different reasons.

I can even remember the exact outfit I used. Default head, default jeans, and the Year of the Rooster shirt everyone had.

My friend told me to take it off after about 50 hours because it never occurred to me that if I wore something bright I would be easier to see.

• Røøkë
    Røøkë Member Posts: 36

Clown on Yamaoka with Bamboozle as my only perk, I killed nobody (September 24th, 2019).

• DBDude
    DBDude Member Posts: 308

From what I remember My first match was on one of the Pre-reworked Macmillan estate maps with Michael Myers.

• ItzZane_
    ItzZane_ Member Posts: 965

My first match was on autohaven, And i thought hex totems were going to kill me lmao

Also I played claudette with the pink flashy jacket lmao

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Played Wraith on Blood Lodge in late March/early April of 2018.

Got 4 Claudette's all of them had flashlights. This was before the matchmaking update, so it matched you with the lowest ranked person in your group. This group was 3 Rank 1's and one Rank 20. Got bullied the entire match, didn't know about perks yet.

Managed to catch one, the Rank 20, and managed to kill her. Got spammed with hatemail and party invites for hours on end.

Didn't touch DBD for a few months after that, and I still hate Claudette's to this day because they all remind me of that awful terrible first experience.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 699

I remember only going "Nurse seems good"

I got 1 Kill, pulled someone out of a locker at the end. Don't remember much else, that was three years ago lol

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Both of them were in a Kill Your Friends. I had done the Survivor one so I sort of knew what to do. I did however play like a scared rabbit and would run away the second Premonition went off, but I don't remember much else. For Killer I ended up as Trapper on old Ormond. I placed my one starting trap in a random piece of grass and didn't catch anyone but myself in it and wasn't able to see any of my other traps on the ground. I didn't know that lunging was a thing. Despite that, I had fun and actually managed to kill one of my friends who'd been playing for a while. Though I know now that it was mostly because said friend is really good at stealthing with Blendette... but we had Ormond.

In both instances I was very overwhelmed but also excited by just how many perks the game had.

• Trifling
    Trifling Member Posts: 44

I do and I felt like I was amazing at the game because I was SUPER into DBD before I ever bought it so I knew how to play decently well.

• Moisette
    Moisette Member Posts: 127

It's kinda foggy, but the memories that come to mind are:

First time playing Killer - I was lagging so much and I decided to play as the Nurse because she looked cool. The lag and not knowing how to blink really...made me suffer that match. I managed to land a hit on someone as they were leaving. They said in the chat "Let me guess first time playing the game?" xD

I don't think it was my actual first match as Survivor, but it's the one I remember most back when I first started playing. This Nurse actually gave me hatch as I was the last person. I was so flustered by their kindness that I didn't say anything in the chat. I'll always regret not thanking them.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

First match by myself was against a Spirit on Lerys. I could barely find any generators. Needless to say Deja Vu became my favorite perk for a bit. (I died at the exit gate because I had no idea where I was going, and didn't realize there was a second exit gate)

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

YES PLEASE. near everytime I've done solo recently I've been put with awful teamates

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2021

My first match ever was after dbd was free through PS Plus. Nothing happened. I don’t think I ever saw another person or even the killer. I did a gen, walked around a little bit, the gates powered up, I opened it up and I escaped. I thought, wow that was easy, and didn’t play it again for a year. Lol. I gotta wonder how much better I would be now if that first killer wasn’t afk and stuck with it.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,262

My first match was as killer, i picked Huntress out of curiosity.

The map was Backwater Swamp and the map was so dark, insanely dark and all the match i couldn't find a single survivor.

They all stood at the exit gate, looking at me and ready to escape. i felt so stupid and ashamed. .

I haven't tried to play as killer again since.

• RyRapsYT
    RyRapsYT Member Posts: 299

My first match as survivor was as Ace Visconti and basically the entire match and just ran around hiding.

As killer my first match was somehow a 4k as Nurse on Lerys

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I played as Trapper and did not realize that there were more Bear Traps on the map. Or that I could pick up Bear Traps.

• ClumsyTrapper
    ClumsyTrapper Member Posts: 544

I failed every skill check and technician activated so much I thought it was an always effect like it is now

I thought I was big brain for predropping pallets around the map so my alert would let me know where the killer was (no I didn't understand what pallets were really for or that it gave a notification to the killer)

I unhooked my self so often I thought the odds were 50 50

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

crying while running away from Michael in the Cornfield, I kept running into him and kept running away.

Was never hit but that made it even more horrifying.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

My first match ever...... I don't want to talk about it..... It was horrible made me quit dbd for like 3 months..... I was trapper with no perks against 3 red ranks and 1 brown rank, back when matchmaking was more broken, we had semi infinites not like the 2016 ones but close, they also brought insta heals I got what people call these days bullied.

My first survivor match in the other hand, the killer was doc, gave me the exit because of how bad I was.

• GeneralV

I faced Doctor on my second day of playing DBD. That is when I learned what a Hatch Grab was...

• OldHunterLight

Fastest hatch grabber on the west, the doctor!! Did they also changed to treatment mode just to grab?

• Steah
    Steah Member Posts: 511
    edited June 2021

First survivor match was vs a Freddy. I was sprint burst Meg. My friend was trying to explain to what to do while i streamed to him and he was also trying to explain what the dream world is and then i got found, hooked, and my team never came to unhook me. It was on Fractured Cowshed

First killer match i was Wraith with blood hound. I managed to hook everyone once but didn't understand the concept of gen defense so i would spend a lot of time chasing people where there are no gens. I managed 1 kill because i pretty brutally tunneled 1 guy at the end game collapse. He yelled at me in the post game but i told him i didnt know what tunneling was and just wanted at least 1 k. It was on Grim Pantry

• GeneralV

To be hones with you, I don't remember. I wasn't expecting to get grabbed mid-air, and could only stare as he took me to a hook.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

"Man, this Trapper guy really sucks. How are you expected to do anything once you drop your only trap?"

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985

My first game was on June 17 of last year, I played Midwich, I played Jake Park and the killer was Ghostface. As it was new, the first thing I did was repair a generator and hide for the whole game. When everyone died, I switched to the wing locker when I suddenly caught Ghostface scaring me to death.

In the end I died and my first killer game that same day was with Ghostface (Ghostface Main of my soul) in Coal Tower, I took power only to become undetectable as I was caught in the previous game, I will never forget who my victims were (Ash Williams , Adam Francis, David King and Dwight Farfield). How I miss the past ...

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    edited June 2021

I mostly played as survivor, because I thought the gameplay fantasy of "flee in terror from a spooky killer" sounded awesome. You can probably tell of what kind of game I thought it was, and you can imagine how I probably played accordingly. The whole hooking system was so odd to me, because I didn't really watch any guides or anything to get introduced (my friend just had an extra code and was like "hey you wanna play this?"), and I thought each survivor was unique and only used their perks and whatnot, like a hero-based game. When I jumped into my first matches, it was so panic-inducing trying to run around and look for points of defense in maps I wasn't familiar with and against killers who I was completely clueless about.

Pretty glad overall that I ended up getting that free code though.

(Edit: I also remember as killer I wasn't even aware of the fact that a lunge existed, I was just confused why when I clicked with the survivors in front of me my killer wasn't moving forward to hit them.)

• OldHunterLight

I can imagine lol I only found out about grabbing off hatch randomly, it was a really decent mechanic and I miss it.

• GeneralV

Agreed. It is one of the countless things from the past that I would love to see in-game again.

• OldHunterLight

Same, at least once they fix the grab desync and the grab bug that sometimes makes killers not be able to do anything not even drop the survivor.

• GeneralV

Yeah, in order for it to return this bug must go.

I remember when I managed to get a Dream Transition into a Hatch Grab. That was probably my best play ever, and it is sad to think that I cannot do it anymore.

• Stardust1998
    Stardust1998 Member Posts: 14

First ever match was me playing as a baby dweet on lerys. I think I escaped but I'm not sure but I do know I was lost the entire time

• Exor
    Exor Member Posts: 256

My very first game was a Survivor one with 3 other friends on an Azarovs map vs a Wraith.... my only memory was somehow getting stuck inside a gen with me not being able to leave and the wraith not being able to hit me, so I had to DC (this was around the release of the Doctor chapter, so no EGC).

Fun times!

• razberrypizza
    razberrypizza Member Posts: 132

I got teabagged by mothers dwelling as trapper, i had no idea what this game was even about, so id say this was a good introduction

• MrBuffalo
    MrBuffalo Member Posts: 312

I dont remember my first survivor game but I vividly remember my first killer game!

I remember I thought Nurse looked really cool so naturally very first game I picked Nurse to play......Yeah.....I didnt land a single hit that game....The survivors were pretty chill tho gave me some good advice about looping and what killer to start playing for a newbie!

• ChantyBoi
    ChantyBoi Member Posts: 179

I had a first match on console and a first match on PC. I only played console like once or twice though so I consider my PC one my ACTUAL first. Ghostface on the game. 4ked because I found hatch and camped it out