We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Horror genre

Options
Master
Master Member Posts: 10,200

Personally I would prefer if this game would actually become scary (sth like 1st person survivor), but I accepted that it wont happen
Can you please remove the horror tag in the steam shop at least, such that new player dont get baited :wink:

Comments

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    Options

Just because it isnt scary doesnt make it not horror. Kind of weird that statement, but the simple fact it has "monsters" in it still makes it horror.

• Master
    edited June 2018
    Options

@weirdkid5 said:
    Just because it isnt scary doesnt make it not horror. Kind of weird that statement, but the simple fact it has "monsters" in it still makes it horror.

Definition from wikipedia:
    A horror film is a film that seeks to elicit a physiological reaction, such as an elevated heartbeat, through the use of fear and shocking one’s audiences.+

More specific "survival horror" as a genre in PC games:
    Survival horror is a subgenre of video games inspired by horror fiction that focuses on survival of the character as the game tries to frighten **players with either horror graphics or scary ambience. Although combat can be part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel **less in control than in typical action games through limited ammunition, health, speed and vision, or through various obstructions of the player's interaction with the game mechanics. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas and solve puzzles to proceed in the game. Games make use of strong horror themes, like dark maze-like environments and unexpected attacks from enemies.

The only horror moments I had in this game were a no terror radius myers (only once sadly) and playing against a pig when I was able to play with sound.
    Beside from that I had a few jump moments when a P3 claudette jumped out of nowwhere and dropped a pallet on me.

Edit: Clearly the bold UI needs some rework^^

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    Options

@Master said:

@weirdkid5 said:

Definition from wikipedia:
    A horror film is a film that seeks to elicit a physiological reaction, such as an elevated heartbeat, through the use of fear and shocking one’s audiences.+

More specific "survival horror" as a genre in PC games:
    Survival horror is a subgenre of video games inspired by horror fiction that focuses on survival of the character as the game tries to frighten **players with either horror graphics or scary ambience. Although combat can be part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel **less in control than in typical action games through limited ammunition, health, speed and vision, or through various obstructions of the player's interaction with the game mechanics. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas and solve puzzles to proceed in the game. Games make use of strong horror themes, like dark maze-like environments and unexpected attacks from enemies.

The only horror moments I had in this game were a no terror radius myers (only once sadly) and playing against a pig when I was able to play with sound.
    Beside from that I had a few jump moments when a P3 claudette jumped out of nowwhere and dropped a pallet on me.

Just because that description of horror doesnt subjectively apply to you doesnt mean it doesnt apply yo everyone. I definitely wouldn't call this Survival Horror, but it is horror nonetheless.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    Options

I'm not sure what you're on about, it's definitely a horror game & I play a crap ton of horror games. Just because we've become desensitized by it, doesn't mean that it isn't horror.

• Ancheri
    Ancheri Member Posts: 157
    edited June 2018
    Options

I have to admit that the game feels much less scary after you played it for a few hundred hours. It's more about getting better at juking or killing after a certain amount of playtime.
    However - just watch a brand new beginner playing the game. Just as I did back then people hide in corners in fear of the powerful monsters of the fog, almost having a heart attack when a tier one myers appears from outta nowhere. Of course you'll get used to it and start to not be that terrified anymore, but I personally don't know other pvp horror games as well, that can keep this atmosphere over a long time.
    It also happens to me quite often after I take a break from DbD that I am way more tensed up when I return. Sometimes I still get the horror feeling back.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited June 2018
    Options

@mintchapstick said:
    I'm not sure what you're on about, it's definitely a horror game & I play a crap ton of horror games. Just because we've become desensitized by it, doesn't mean that it isn't horror.

The only thing that scares me after over hundreds of hours of the same game is jump scare Pig, Myers, and Hag. Even if every killer was able to one shot across the map or survivors had to see through a toilet paper roll, I think I'd be less scared and more annoyed.

If the game was still out-of-the-box scary to veteran survivor players, I think this game should be nominated for Best Game awards.

• Master
    Options

@Ancheri said:
    I have to admit that the game feels much less scary after you played it for a few hundred hours. It's more about getting better at juking or killing after a certain amount of playtime.
    However - just watch a brand new beginner playing the game. Just as I did back then people hide in corners in fear of the powerful monsters of the fog, almost having a heart attack when a tier one myers appears from outta nowhere. Of course you'll get used to it and start to not be that terrified anymore, but I personally don't know other pvp horror games as well, that can keep this atmosphere over a long time.
    It also happens to me quite often after I take a break from DbD that I am way more tensed up when I return. Sometimes I still get the horror feeling back.

Funny, but twitch/youtube speeds up the process of becoming a toxic looper quite fast now. I know a guy who turned into a semi decent DS looper in less than 50 hours ;D

• Ancheri
    Ancheri Member Posts: 157
    Options

@Master said:

@Ancheri said:

Funny, but twitch/youtube speeds up the process of becoming a toxic looper quite fast now. I know a guy who turned into a semi decent DS looper in less than 50 hours ;D

I think you need to distinguish between those, who buy the game to actually play a horror game and those, who already know about the possible competition (probably by watching videos or streams). These guys tend to start playing the game with a basic knowledge of how to juke. Of course it won't take you thousand hours of playtime to understand how to loop, but beginners are definetely more likely to make mistakes.