Noob confessions

Options
Thr_ust
Thr_ust Member Posts: 481
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

Making this for anyone who wants to share the dumbest things they struggled with when they were still complete babies in this game. Me personally, I struggled to figure out how to get to the second floor on hawkins and midwich almost every game when I first started.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    edited July 2021
    Options

I didn't know how to kick gens. I would always tap the key instead of holding down.

Post edited by Bwsted on
  • Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

Trying to mind game a god pallet. Do not attempt this at home kids

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

I had literally no idea what any status effect did at all, because none of them were ever explained and no videos I ever watched had explained them. I knew how to hide, how to loop, but not what the ######### "exposed" or "broken" were. I just started assuming that everything meant the killer could track me better.

• ryseterion
    ryseterion Member Posts: 445
    Options

Im a pc dbd noob but a consistent red rank on ps4 and for the life of me simply moving around was painful. My hand would cramp or i would press crtl instead of shift lol

• WormMilk
    WormMilk Member Posts: 118
    Options

For the longest time, like I mean a LONG time I didn't know what Oni, Legion, Clown, Myers, or ghost face power actually did. Like I knew the basics but I would sit there and let ghost face stalk me because I didn't know what he was doing.

• SpookyPumpkinPiez
    SpookyPumpkinPiez Member Posts: 278
    Options

I struggled with succeeding at skill checks. Poor teammates would get found so easily because of me blowing up gens. Now I get great ones more often than good ones. Also almost 1800 hours in and I still struggle with finding the second floor on any map with a second floor

• Thr_ust
    Thr_ust Member Posts: 481
    Options
  • Entity_Lich94
    Entity_Lich94 Member Posts: 320
    Options

For a while I didn't know that scratch marks meant a survivor had just ran in the area, I thought they were visual bugs......

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,778
    Options

On killer side, I kept trying to kick gens that had zero progress because I wanted to apply Overcharge to them (Doc was one of my first killers). On survivor side, I really had trouble understanding where people were in the environment, so, when the status updates told me I "escaped" chase, I would stop running and try to hide -- at which point the killer would catch up with me immediately.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127
    Options

I didn't know that you could lunge. I spent the first 100 hours or so of playing DBD not knowing you could hold your M1 to lunge.

I was really ######### stupid.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

when i first started, Trapper still had an Ultra Rare Add On called "Diamond Stone".

the description stated that it would inflict dying uppon any trapped Survivor once they escape the trap (i do believe it also worked when someone else rescued them).

basically, me being extremely new and finding this Add On for the first time combined with the translation for it (i was playing the game in German back then) being not that great, i was convinced that my traps would literally kill anyone who stepped on them.

not put them into dying state, outright kill them. as in "remove them from the match".

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508
    Options

I didn't know that lunging was a mechanic.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    Options

I've played when Pig was released, I seem to caught on extremely quickly, but when Ghostface came out my mind just went upside down.

I always thought when his running animation changed he sprinted at 130% he always seemed so to catch up so freaking fast.

My mind was just playing tricks on me haha

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,072
    Options

I still have to figure out how to consistently hit with blights rush (after figuring out how to hit with it at all XD, too used to billy or oni).

And yesterday I played clown for the first time after his speed bottle rework and I think they increased the time for the button press until the reload process starts and I fumbled it multiple times.

Oh and the best one is accidentally tbagging with ghostface because I mix up his action buttons after a long break from dbd. Sadly also often when trying to pick up a survivor, I didn't mean to disrespect 😅

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

For some time, I didn't know there were scratch marks, because the first months I only played survivor. I was puzzled when killers found me easily and then when I started playing killer and saw others running and the scratch marks, that was when I understood why.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
    Options

Back then i thought pallets would respawn after getting breaked so i never broke pallets as a killer while instantly dropping pallets as survivor.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
    Options

I always stopped shortly before the animation ended and never noticed until my friend repeatly told me i didnt fully kicked it..

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

The first time I went against rancor I reported the killer for hacking because a mori wasn't used and I was moried

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,236
    Options

When I first started I thought hook states were related to how healthy you were, so I would always try to jump off the hook and get myself healed as fast as possible

I also didnt know fast vaulting in and out of a locker alerted the killer...

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    Options

For like 6 months i had this sneaking suspicion that i wasnt kick gens right. Id walk up and kick it once but it didnt seem to do anything. Id hit it with overcharge but never heard any notification. One day i got irritated and kicked it like 6 times in a row and noticed the bps pop up saying i damaged the generator. Then i got really confused because i knew i was doing it wrong but didnt know how or why.

I think i was like a r13 before i finally noticed the damn progress bar on the screen, once i saw that i realized i needed to hold the button down and the animation was actually kicking twice 🤦‍♂️

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

I have 1500+ hours and I still struggle on those maps.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,879
    Options

As survivor:

I was addicted to healing. Anybody, anywhere, anytime I believed getting them back to full health was a priority, and never knew why some ran away. I chased 1 survivor a lap around Crotus (it felt like it) doing nothing useful other than hoping the survivor would stop to heal! Not understanding the terror radius during such times did not help the plight of the poor buggers who got sliced because I was camping them more at hooks to heal them than the killers ever could!

As killer:

For a couple of matches as Trapper (during the time traps could be sabotaged), and not knowing they could, so I spent a while trying different angles to pick it up. I even managed to communicate to a survivor that they should see this and they walked away, seemingly unimpressed, probably thinking "I'm gonna just let you carry on. You do you".

Also, when I equipt "Spies from the Shadows" for the first time without reading the description properly, and spending that entire round becoming increasingly frustrated with the constant mini explosions, as I couldn't concentrate on finding survivors with all that racket!

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,339
    Options

I had no idea who Bubba was.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,374
    Options

Before I got the game I saw a gameplay where the person was running Spies from the Shadows so I thought the killer got notifications for crows basekit,so I started crouching around every single crow and panicked when I scared one..

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,060
    Options

Seeing nurse gameplay and thinking damn that look easy. I tried her and I can say I suck at her. I thought her looking down was something the player did. Didn't know it was her fatigue animation.

• JimboMason
    JimboMason Member Posts: 759
    Options

I never knew that BBQ was a perk, and that I should take hits

• katoptris
    Options
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

yep, thats literally how i thought it would work xD

i even remember thinking "damn, thats risiculously strong!", but learned the difference quite quickly.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

Loading into Haddonfield and hearing the Halloween theme made me think I'd verse Myers every single time lol.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 2,967
    Options

I had no idea that running as survivor left scratch marks for the killer to see.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531
    edited July 2021
    Options

I kept confusing Wraith, Spirit, Hag, and Nurse.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911
    Options

I remember thinking Iron Grasp was a Pig Teachable perk lol

• coley_219
    coley_219 Member Posts: 324
    Options

i thought we were supposed to "attempt escape" if we were hooked since the prompt was there...i did that until my son saw me one day and shouted, "no mom! wait for someone to save you!" and i was like "but it's telling me to attempt to escape" and he was like "yeah, but you only do that if there's literally no hope left of anyone getting you!"....man, was i embarrassed!!!

• CheeseAnton
    CheeseAnton Member Posts: 882
    Options

I thought Botany Knowledge only worked near plants, so I'd always Self-Care near plants (I vaguely remember always going outside on Lery's when I was injured to SC with Botany).

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

I thought I was clever for discovering a perk "synergy"

It was sprint burst with urban evasion, and basically you save your sprint burst by -never- taking your finger off the crouch button unless you're in chase. Pretty cool right?

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

I trapped myself while carrying a survivor to a hook because I placed a trap in front of it, and yet whoever unhooked them didn't trigger it. Lol.

• DarrellM74
    DarrellM74 Member Posts: 64
    Options

I have played this game for almost a year now and I still cant figure out ghostface. I just got him and have no clue how to stalk them to exposed, I guess I need to watch a tutorial from someone good...lol

• katoptris
    Options

Pretty sure it was vague on attempt to struggle before this patch. I did the same thing cause I saw someone jump off. I assume attempt was free unhooking with no risk.

• Torsti56
    Torsti56 Member Posts: 259
    Options

First game as Wraith and it was my Second game overall, I didn't know that I was cloaked and spend half of game chasing them and complain myself how bad this killer is because I can't hit them.

I know, that's dumb.