If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Self Care needs a buff.

Options
thrawn3054
thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
edited April 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

It's not a bad perk, but it definitely needs some help. I think a small number change would be enough. Change it heal at 66% speed instead.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,619
    Options

No way lol

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Self care as it is has the same total time effectiveness as being healed by someone else.

It used to be 80% instead of 50%(Then got nerfed to 50%) and it was overpowered as it makes the survivors too efficent let alone its old medkit self healing efficiency of 100%(now 20%).

Self care should never be buffed as it broke the game in the past and having it being any faster or more medkit efficient would break the game as they had tested with the nerfs.

• Zacharry100
    Zacharry100 Member Posts: 133
    Options

No

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Different people say different things.

There's also the fact that somethings can be bad but can NEVER BE BUFFED!

Its flat out what the devs have said is why Monstrous Shrine hasn't been buffed as they tested it being better and found out it would break basement builds if it was any better.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

Its 'bad' in that people use it poorly. Nothing is more painful then unhooking someone with we'll make it and instead of holding still to be healed they run to the farthest corner to sc... its painful to watch and loses matches ;_;

That being said I have run into players who use wisely. Regardless it does not need a buff. It works as intended ^^

• [Deleted User]
    Options

There are a lot of other worse perks. Check out Ash's perks...

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,211
    Options

Self Care is a very good perk when used properly, and most people who use it just don't know how to use it properly.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

I'm down with this. Revert Self Care to how it was at launch please.

Thanks, and have fun.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,649
    Options

You use to be able to bring SC and botany knowledge and heal in like 14 seconds during loops all abd

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,954
    Options

Oh god, I don't want it to become meta again. Not again.

In other words, SC is fine.

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188
    Options

the perk can b god like or trash like, is just a matter of numbers, back in the day was dumb now is fine and balanced, if u need faster heals pair it with botany for 24 seconds heals or just bring a medkit.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,245
    Options

That's pretty easy to buff Self Care, just give it the Botany Knowledge treatment.

Instead of 20% Med-Kit efficiency, Self Care gives both 20% Med-Kit efficiency and increases Med-Kit healing speed by 20%.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

I think it would be a good idea. Self-Care used to be meta in the past, and it was perfectly possible to deal with.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,850
    Options

Partly because the time it was meta was a time barely anyone was comfortable being injured because no one knew how to loop. Imagine good loopers with the perk always being fully healed.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

Absolutely not, its not even weak people just use it poorly

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,827
    Options

i wouldnt mind buffing the secondary part for self care, but the time spent healing should always stay at 50%.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

I never use Self-care, so they can buff it however they want. At least then the people who do who always scurry off can get it over with faster lol

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

I feel self-care is in a good place right now you just need to understand when to use it and when to look for heals or push objectives.

I mean it's legit a free heal no requirements aside from some time. You don't need an item, you don't need any prerequisites you just heal. Where as other superior heals have a requirement. If you want a fast heal use a medkit at the bare minimum.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Not quite, my friend. Remember that the Self-Care meta itself lasted until 2018, and back then we already had many experienced loopers.

If it worked once, it can work again.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,957
    Options

Self care itself is great because it takes 32sec, while another guy heal you will take 16sec x2 survivors.

Its about those moments when at Gen has 50sec progress, your team mate able to make a 30sec chase and you use that 30sec to self care instead of finish that Gen.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,451
    Options

No it's supposed to be a bad perk. When people get better at the game they understand it's bad and stop using it. It's a sort of graduation for survivors.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,176
    Options

Typical mend( 1C/sec) = 16 seconds

Current S.C(.5C/sec) speed = 32seconds

Proposed S.C(.66C/sec) speed = 24 seconds.

a pretty massive buff. Comobing it with other heal related perks would allow for some extremely annoying strats to heal yourself off hook in a few seconds (on the order of around 10 seconds if combo'd with 2 other perks)

• Voodoo_Thirsty
    Voodoo_Thirsty Member Posts: 522
    Options

Maybe a 5% increase in speed for each perk level.

Lvl 1 = 50%

Lvl 2 = 55%

Lvl 3 = 60%

I've read that SC is only disliked in the Western playerbase.

Asian servers consider you a troll if you don't have SC. Lol the irony...

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited August 2021
    Options

Healing is intended to be a timesink for survivors. Altering it too heavily ruins killer gameplay, and we have seen this be the case time and time again, which is why stuff like syptic and strong medkits ALSO had to be nerfed to provide either less total healing, provide less rapid healing, or both.

A big problem with self care pre-nerf was that, while conceptually it was about self sufficiency at the cost of a longer heal time, in reality it shortened the total time spent healing rather than repairing once you factored it allows you to cut the 'survivor manpower' to heal in half. It is hard to directly compare effects because the game is asymetric, but imagine it almost like if Pop worked on completed gens and set them back to 99% while regressing: If a survivor was on the gen ready to re-finish it you could technically beat that effect but it would turn the game into a complete pain in the ass slog as the killer would too easily reset progress that was meant to be 'sticky.' Damage isn't as sticky as a completed gen, but it is meant to be pretty sticky.

It is still a good perk that allows you to save an item slot (which is more valuable than a perk) while still getting the ability to self recover in specific situations, or to extend the longevity of extremely potent medkits. You shouldn't want to self care LITERALLY ALL THE TIME but it is really clear there are scenarios self care is great (ex: An injured flashlight user who won't be able to safely rescue and doesn't want to take 1/2 of the other survivors off a gen when someone is being chased).

In a way it is a 'perfect' survivor perk in that it gives you a new extremely strong capability that fundamentally changes the game for you, but it isn't so strong you want to do it all the time, and it doesn't totally dumpster what the killer is doing (unlike old self care the killer is still getting a lot of value out of the hit they made against you, it just is easier for you now to avoid being injured at a bad time where it will lose the entire team the game so it isn't touching the 'average' value of damage like old self care, but is putting a 'cap' on the value of a hit instead) and it 'loses' to killer perks (A killer perk should generally 'overpower' a survivor perk, like how Sloppy 'beats' self care, because the killer has only 4 perk slots as opposed to the survivor's 16).

It really doesn't need to be changed at all. Fast healing can exist in DBD but it needs to be highly conditional, such as "We'll make it" and "Inner Strength" which both allow extremely rapid recovery from damage states but only a limited number of times per game and with much stricter timing windows or conditions than 'whenever you feel like it.' It isn't an accident that both of these perks resemble Pop quite a bit, because burst healing is about as strong as burst gen regression.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,245
    Options

What if SC gave you limited fast heals?

Self Care

Whenever you lose a hook state or a teammate is eliminated from the trial, gain a token in your possession.

If you have at least one token, you gain the ability to heal yourself without using a Med-Kit:

• You heal yourself at 80% the normal speed
    • Each token grants 16 charges

Altruistic healing with a Med-Kit will increase its efficiency by 50%/75%/100%.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 859
    Options

Why does it need a buff though? It doubles the amount of time you need to heal currently but you won't need a teammate to get yourself healed up. I'd say that's a pretty fair trade. In terms of time efficiency it's exactly the same, only you're not depending on other people to heal up.

Not to mention, that right now survivors need to actually figure out themselves when it would be a good time to heal themselves and when it would just hinder their team. The need to develop this "skill" would decrease as well as a result of a Selfcare buff.

To be honest, I think Selfcare is one of those perks that is at a great spot atm. It's got benefits and downsides. And people need to learn when those benefits outweigh the downsides or when they don't. It's not like one of those braindead 2nd chance perks where the benefit will always be there when the perk activates like Noed or Dead Hard. There is actual skill or knowledge involved.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,176
    Options

My problem with your variant is that 1. It doesn't really take effect unless you yourself get hooked or a teammate dies, at most you can have 6 tokens then. For how rare it will be to get a token I don't think the effect is strong enough, but buffing it falls into the problem of 2. 2. It follows the design pattern of very very strong effect that can happen a limited amount of times per trial. These effects should not exist imo as they drastically pull power creep forwards. Survivors can heal too rapidly a handful of times per games....killers get given some crazy anti heal perk next to balance that out....then survivors have issues with that perk and will need to be given even stronger healing, etc.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
    Options

Lol no. People keep saying self care is bad but it isn't. "Just bring a medkit", yeah medkits are op that's not news. That doesn't make selfcare bad in good hands, it still saves the team time because it takes the same overall time to heal without counting the wasted time having to find a teammate, interrupt what he is doing... etc. Self care is already decent and I do not want a self care meta, please god no.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,864
    Options

Self Care feels like it's in a good place currently. The ability to heal without any cooldown and at will is pretty strong, so having the slower rate of heal counters that easy accessability.

The best way to use it depends on the situation, but it's always more important, where possible, to seek out someone to help you to get back into the game quicker.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

I think it should be either 65% or 70% of the normal healing speed. Why did they even nerf it from 80%? Was it too strong?

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
    Options

In this case its like legion.

Its weak but if you buff it, it can get broken really fast.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,720
    Options

- Selfcare is a bad perk, never pick it, it's weak and inefficient!

- Then let's buff it a bit!

- No, never, it'll be overpowered and break the game!

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

I never see people say its straight up bad. It's a bad perk in the hands of a bad player. If all you do is self care when you're injured its practically a horrible perk. If you know that its actually a great time to use self care, then it becomes a great perk.

Also, i think the perk is fine and doesn't need any buffs.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Good reminder for everyone who wants to stay sane to never use a VPN to get asian team mates.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

Don't forget that healing was also faster back then, it took 12 seconds to heal someone instead of 16 seconds.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,850
    Options
  • SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,668
    edited August 2021
    Options

They're not gonna buff self care, its already the most used survivor perk, despite being mediocre

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

I could maybe see buffing its secondary effect of making self healing with medkits more efficient. They shouldn't buff its healing speed.

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793
    Options

Imagine this new SC with Desperate Measure, Bothany and Resilience.

But yes, buffing or nerfing a perk has to be wise thought because there is synergy/combo with other perks that has to be kept in mind.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 714
    Options

I would think it would be nice if there is a slight buff in which it heals bit faster like around 60% then 50%; but not heal fast enough that teammates are a better option to heal!

Also, if you decide to self care and a teammates is nearby and unable to help you; they should change that do that teammates can regardless help you out by simple healing; regardless of want their help or not!

Of course, if solo que is improved and if they offer some sort of better communication wheel; that would be awesome too

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    Options

It was comically broken. Killers landing hits basically didn't take time from the survivors at all, and it was possible with a good medkit to suddenly self heal mid chase multiple times.

Healing is meant to either be a timesink for one survivor, inconvenience two, use a precious resource, or have a very limited window to be fast. Self care can NEVER be 'good' because the concept of a lone survivor efficiently healing whenever they want breaks DBD.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 934
    Options

I'd personally be more for it highlights you to nearby team mates while you heal so they can come help like a reverse empathy. It would be so helpful for solo survs.

• IrishRedCap
    IrishRedCap Member Posts: 153
    Options

This isn't some 'you just don't know' but honestly if people didn't play with the 80% SC speed before the nerf then they don't understand how utterly broken the perk can be.

Medkits are powerful but a killer can see pre-game and bring counters like Franklin's, Caulophobia, or Sloppy. SC is a random shot in the dark where a killer can waste a perk slot for something that doesn't quite impact healing done by other survivors.

SC can be used effectively well, it is in a good place because it gives a survivor a free option to heal (regardless of teammates left), and it needs to be slower because when it wasn't a good looping survivor could tap heal while running a killer.

Not to mention the absolutely disgusting days of dead hard/SC where good loopers would purposefully get hit at pallets, stun killer with a drop, run to next pallet and start SC only to be a single tap away from full health making them immortal in a sense unless the killer purposefully ran away.

This discussion has been closed.