Dead Hard is Overrated and Overhated

Options

Okay, hear me out...

Dead Hard's effectiveness is completely overblown, IMO. I think it's only the third best exhaustion perk. Sprint Burst is just better in almost every way and Lithe gives more distance and is much more consistent.

I admit that when used smartly, Dead Hard is pretty effective at extending loops, however, Dead Hard has a ton of weaknesses that people are quick to write off.

• It is severely dependent on latency. The timing sweet spot to effectively dodge a hit can greatly vary from killer to killer and sometimes not even work. Very cool exhausted on the ground.
  • It gives way less distance than the other exhaustion perks, hence using less of the killer's time to catch up.
  • Its dodging mechanic is ineffective after the killer finds out they have it, or assume they have it and wait.
  • It is effectively useless in dead zones. Dodging or making an additional 5 feet of distance is going to do nothing for the survivor other than take an additionally 2 seconds in the corner of the map with no pallets or windows.

I've seen people make the weird claim that "Dead Hard extends chases for minutes at a time." If the Dead Hard extended a chase for that long-- which is definitely a complete exaggeration that says more about the killer's skill than the strength of the perk-- why would you continue to give chase?

I think a good Sprint Burst or Lithe are much harder to deal with than Dead Hard.

_______

After that NOED post, I can only imagine what this one will do...

Comments

• thefallenloser
    thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

I admit that when used smartly, Dead Hard is pretty effective at extending loops, however, Dead Hard has a ton of weaknesses that people are quick to write off.

It gives way less distance than the other exhaustion perks, hence using less of the killer's time to catch up.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

I tend to agree. Dead Hard is definitely an ANNOYING perk to play against at times, because it feels really bad to be within striking distance of a survivor and yet not be able to hit them before they reach a pallet/window. But yeah, people over-state it.

Sprint Burst is a far stronger perk, it’s just less fun to use than Dead Hard and encourages the killer to not chase you in the first place so less people use it.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited August 2021
    Options

I agree. DH is extremely predictable and counterable and it's much more common for it to be useless than to "extend a chase by minutes". Against Sprint Burst or Lithe though there is little the killer can do except slowly catching up.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    Options

Not only all that, but dead hard is conditional. You must be injured to use it, and injured state can be bypassed by a few killers and perks.

Nothing brings me greater joy than chainsawing a David within ten seconds of a trial.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    Options

Third tier exhaust perk, surpassed by sprint burst, lithe and even head on.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Does then not mean that Dead Hard just enables the Survivor to win the chase cleanly?

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
    Options

Deadhard is the best exhaustion perk BY FAR because it's useful even if you don't have it. The killers will allways waste some time in case you have DH at least once per game for each survivor, and this sometimes means they get to make it to pallets or windows and extend the chase for 30 secs.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

I would not say it is overrated. It is the second-strongest Exhaustion Perk, only behind Sprint Burst. I would not call this overrated.

However, I agree on overhated - Killer Players act like they lose games because of Dead Hard, but I am pretty sure they lose the games because of general worse performance than the Survivors, but blame Dead Hard for it. Let alone that most DHs I encounter are HORRIBLE. Like, people trying to DH without any Pallet nearby or anything, just to use it. This brings them like 1 second of Extra Chase (which would be the case in general, if the Distance-Part would be removed, because even if the Iframes would actually be working, you would not be able to do anything with Dead Hard...)

• thefallenloser
    Options

This problem I have with this argument is that this is pretty much the exact opposite from what I usually hear. The i-frames are effectively useless and are only used to make sure that I killer can't hit you just by lunging mid-Dead Hard due to latency-- and even then, it's not good at that. I've seen a bunch of instances in which people get hit mid-Dead Hard, especially against The Twins.

I don't see why the perk can be multi-use, because it's not great at gaining distance nor dodging a hit.

While it's possible for killers to hit you mid Sprint Burst or Lithe, it's not common when used smartly.

I've always interpreted Dead Hard as just jumping over the trap, but yes, I agree that it's a pretty stupid thing Trapper has to deal with.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,134
    Options

The distance you get doesn't matter, it's what you get FROM the distance.

If I sprint burst in a massive deadzone i'm not doing much, if I dead hard to a window that I normally couldn't of reached that has the possibility to make the killer drop the chase, waste more time, or even lose the entire game.

• thefallenloser
    Options

I feel like that's more of a symptom of the perk and game design in general rather than Dead Hard in particular. I can't tell if it's an intentional choice from the devs or not, because it's ever-present in the design of so many perks, but I understand why it can be frustrating. Personally, I don't mind it too much.

• thefallenloser
    Options

Wouldn't that then be the same situation with Lithe and Sprint Burst then?

And no, because Dead Hard extending a chase for actual minutes means that the killer is either doing something very wrong, or they're playing on Cowshed 30 seconds into the game against a very good survivor.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

The twins thing has been confirmed as a bug (Victor was ignoring I-Frames, allowing him to just smite you through it), however the distance dead hard makes isn't the 4 meters the perk does, its the meters after the perk is connected to a vault

While I do agree about it not being common that you get hit during a lithe or sprint burst, dead hard's issue comes mainly through not just the servers but from bad coding, dead hard (from what I believe) doesn't apply i-frames immediately sometimes, shown on why you can go down and not move at all sometimes

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

It is very good imo. It prolongs loops if you use it correctly. The only reason I am using sb right now is because dh is basically freezehard on last gen. Otherwise I would be enjoying dh even if it doesn't work sometimes, when it does it works well for me.

It is strong but I agree it is too hated since there are a lot of other strong stuff in the game which also shouldn't be hated for it. It is not even close to broken imo.

• thefallenloser
    edited August 2021
    Options

I feel like you can pretty much do the same thing with Sprint Burst though if you correctly manage your exhaustion, except that Sprint Burst isn't conditional. One-shotting killers can completely bypass Dead Hard a lot of the time.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    edited August 2021
    Options

Sprint Burst is way better, not only on the basis of IT ACTUALLY WORKS, but also you do not need to be injured to use it, and even when you are you are more safe to be injured with it than DH.

Players will never admit to this though because it seems as though Dead Hard is just more annoying to go against. They look at it from the chase value during a loop, when SB can basically make it so you are extending the chase from the start, rather than in the middle.

It seems to be another case of Annoying = Broken.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

This seems like a good point. You might be right actually.

• thefallenloser
    Options

I know I usually don't like using examples that aren't interwoven into my original argument, but I'm genuinely curious:

Why is Lucky Break's ability to boost bad survivors a problem, but with good players it's fine-- and why is Dead Hard's ability to boost good player's ability and do nothing for bad players fine? What's the difference?

In fact, could this same argument not be used for basically any perk?

• thefallenloser
    Options

So do you mean that in instances where the killer's attack should have hit even after the Dead Hard that it's a problem? I do agree that the coding behind the perk is quite lacking and can make for some very frustrating moments.

• thefallenloser
    Options

I also feel like even when Sprint Burst isn't on demand, simply having it and forcing the killer to ignore you will cause them to waste time trying to find someone else and start another chase, and they can potentially also have Sprint Burst or Dead Hard.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582
    Options

Dead Hard is strong because it does let you both dodge hits (with decent latency) and allows you to gain distance at pallets after greeding them. I think the real issue with it is people using it just to play safe and having 4 Dead Hards on good players is annoying.

I will agree though, I do think Sprint Burst is overall a better exhaustion perk (And I personally like Balanced Landing over Lithe, but that's just me.), but I do appreciate Dead Hard. I think whenever it works it's a perk that really does a good job rewarding you for knowing how to use it well, but it's too inconsistent at anything but distance (The most boring part of it).

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

DH is not overrated, the ability to make the game Lag is super powerful. It's not overhated, we just want fixes to the game...

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

DH is in-game Lag switching.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options

You're Dead Wrong!

• TAG
    Options

I don't think Lithe and particularly SB promote that in the same way.

Maybe whole minutes might be a bit generous, but I think it's reasonable to say that it can prolong a Survivor's second hit by a decent amount if used correctly (potentially long enough that it may not be worth it for Killers to continue the chase, which does mean that the Survivor wins that chase).

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

And? This is not really a good argument.

You can say that about every strong Perk in the game. On both sides. With that argument, every Perk can be made "OP".

• thefallenloser
    Options

Used correctly-- yeah, I agree that Dead Hard can potentially end a chase. However, Dead Hard operating on a few conditionals allows me to look past that, as the map RNG has to be good enough to do it, and they also have to be injured, which means it's not great against instadown killers or a few others.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

damn I wish I saw these minutes long chases, even at red ranks is quite rare

• thefallenloser
    Options

It's the Wraith who god flashbanged then Dead Harded on by Steve and proceeded to chase him for the remainder of the match on The Game.

• TAG
    Options

I can't imagine what sort of RNG would have to take place for Dead Hard to be ineffective, considering that it simply needs to happen at a decent loop.

• SirGando
    SirGando Member Posts: 374
    Options

Noed is overrated and overhated.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    Options

dead hard isn't op, just annoying, never was so hated before

wait until there are no good perks left and people complain enough to get deja vu nerfed

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,503
    Options

Lucky Break isn't the issue, it's combining it with IW (which is bugged btw) that is a problem. Even still, it can help bad Survivors, but if you suck at looping, it isn't going to help. You do actually have to LOSE the Killer before you get value.

Dead Hard doesn't do "nothing" for bad players. It can absolutely save their ass. However, it does significantly less for them than it does for good players. It may turn a 20 second chase into a 45 second one for a bad player, but for a good one it can take a 45 second chase and add another 30 to it, ie, 2 gens at least.

The issue isn't necessarily Dead Hard, it's more so that this game isn't balanced for good players.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,503
    edited August 2021
    Options

That's kinda the point.

Dead Hard is exceedingly strong. That wouldn't be an issue if things around it were balanced, but they aren't.

I'm starting to care less about perk balance and more about overall game balance.

Post edited by Pulsar on
  • thefallenloser
    Options

Dead Hard is not the best exhaustion perk simply because it's inconsistent at best and completely useless at it's worst. Sprint Burst denies the possibility of chases on some survivors completely.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    Options

It's the 3rd most used Survivor perk in the game.

I sure hope people get the memo that it sucks T_T

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127
    Options

Did you.. Not read my comment?

The very existence of Dead Hard changes how a Killer plays. And using it for distance can extend a loop far more than Sprint Burst could. You want to waste the Killer's time, not escape from them before you could.

• thefallenloser
    Options

It doesn't suck. It's inconsistent but it's still good.

I did, and I disagree. A mid-chase Sprint Burst is way better than Dead Hard. You have the option of getting to a safe area and escaping or continuing to use the killer's time in chase. You have options with Sprint Burst when used properly. Dead Hard is too inconsistent, however ever-present it is, to be considered the best.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    edited August 2021
    Options

Why do you think it is being used so much (it's blowing all other exhaustion perk out of the water in terms of pick rate) if people are not getting massive utility/advantage from it on a consistent basis?

What's the rational?