NOED. Let's talk ya mains.

Options

I don't get the hatred for NOED.

Just, y'know, do bones.

That's the one counter for it, and it isn't a hard one at that.

Comments

• Jeromy137
    Jeromy137 Member Posts: 348
    Options

I don't really have an issue with noed.

I can understand some hate just because of totem placements some maps you are lucky to find 1 totem because of how annoying they are placed

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

It can be an issue in solo since most survivors are allergic to totems but otherwise I’m fine with it

• Deferlo
    Deferlo Member Posts: 131
    Options

In my opinion, NOED isn't the problem in most case. It's the fact that most killer who bring NOED use it in order to gain hooks or maybe even kills that they wouldn't have if not for this perk.

If i ever see a killer get 6 to 8 hooks throughout the game and has noed? I won't be mad, because had he brought a perk usefull for the early/mid game, maybe he would have a kill or 2 already and would have snowballed from that, preventing us from completing the generator. But we won't remember those player, because maybe 80% of noed user do so to overcommit to chases or ignore pressuring gens, you know them very well, it's those killer where you can smell the NOED incoming before the gens are even done.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

NOED.

You already know that you lost the game from the lobby.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

As a 50/50 player I don't care if someone brings NOED. When I play killer - I never use NOED though because I would personally feel scummy.

Then again I don't complain about any survivor or killer perk, item, or addon used.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021
    Options

Fun fact: Trying to cleanse all 5 dull totems is literally one of the stupidest things anyone can do in DbD while still pretending to be helpful. Everyone encouraging survivors to "just do bones" is being extremely deceitul and probably doesn't even use NOED, because it's common knowledge just how much stronger wasting that much time is.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521
    Options

I have no problem with noed however just do bones isn't an argument it's all based on luck for example totem placement it could be completely hidden, ur team is useless or ur too busy with chases or u lack of progress with objective etc etc and sure u could run perks for it but must of ppl don't

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Look, another one who blatantly ignores the realistic situation of DbD and pretends that it's better to kill your entire team than leave a single person to die.

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 915
    Options
  • Deferlo
    Options

Exactly, doing all totems without even knowing if the killer has NOED or an hex perk. Just the cleansing time alone is 70 sec for all totem if you add the search and travel time even with a op map or dectective hunch means that you could have done than an entire gen or more by the time all totems gets done, in a balanced match it might be time that you can't afford.

By pig key i assume you are talking about the reverse bear trap, so correct me if i'm wrong.

The difference is, you stop doing gen and start searching for the key because you know you have the RBT and that sooner or later it will activate and kill you, but you don't know if the killer have NOED until it activate which could make you lose a lot of cleansing time for maybe nothing.

NOED is the same type of risk/reward that some killer are willing to do while slugging, trying for DS, if you are willing to take the risk, rush gens, if not, cleanse totem.

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 666
    edited September 2021
    Options

You don't find escaping from a match one of the ways to win?

If you get sacrificed by a killer using NOED then you don't escape. How to you prevent the possibility of that from happening? You cleanse totems. So how did you come to the conclusion that it does nothing to help you escape?

As for what might or might not happen. You might not get all the generators done. Why should you try and repair them then since if you won't be escaping unless you use the hatch. Why should you open chests? They might not having anything useful in which case you just wasted time opening it. Then their are lockers and pallets. You don't know if they will be effective in helping you so why use them?

• SonicOffline
    Options

You’re still not doing gens, and it’s functionally the same.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Flawed logic.

The way to escape as Survivor:

• Do 5 Generators
    • Open the Exit Gates

And thats it. IF the Killer has NOED and I die because of it, it is whatever. But if I run around and do Totems (or just look for them to memorize their locations) I do nothing to fulfill the conditions to escape. I just waste time, I am basically a second Killer at this point.

And yes, it might not be possible to get all Gens done. This can happen if the Killer applies pressure. However, it is still what has to be done to escape. It is more likely to not get all Gens done if Survivors waste their time doing Totems.

Regarding chests - yes, those are a waste of time. I never said anything else, since the Toolbox-Nerf it is only really beneficial to open Chests if you REALLY need a Medkit or are REALLY hoping for a Key. Flashlights are meh, Toolboxes are useless (even the best Toolbox cannot compensate the time wasted for searching the Chest).

I will ignore the Lockers and Pallets. This is just a bait at this point.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 793
    Options

Most maps: Okay I spawned near this totem, so there's probably one over there, definitely one in that LT wall, one in the main building, etc...

Indoor maps: I'll just systematically search every single corner of every room for totems...

Not too much of a problem for SWFs, but for solo queue it is blatantly unfair.

Plus the Exposed status effect is not applied in a correct manner, ie. survivors are not notified that they are exposed until somebody gets hit, which is not how status effects are supposed to work. This is a hangover from the perk's earlier iterations and needs to be addressed.

Anybody parroting jUsT dO bOnEs is simply ignorant at this point.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    Options

Old wore out topic. Beaten to death.

Next.

• Deferlo
    Options

You are misunderstanding the point, they are funtionally the same, but it's all there is to it. With the RBT, the time you spend searching the box is put so that you don't die from it at the end of the timer. In NOED case, you can spend the time to cleanse all totem just to discover that the killer didn't have NOED, you could, in a sense, say that all this time was "wasted".

Hypothetically, if the RBT got changed into: The timer starts after gens are done only if the killer put an new iridescent addon, i can assure you way less player would search for it immediatly, and just like NOED they would wait for it before searching.

What i'm want other to understand is that, in some cases thinking "just do bones" could be more harmfull than not doing any. But whatever we think, in the end it just come down to the player wanting, or not, to take a risk with facing NOED.

Also I'm talking about the pre-endgame when you don't know if NOED will be in play. If the gens are done and NOED is confirmed then there is no right answer, it will change with eachmatch situation.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464
    Options

Imagine expecting 90% of solo teams to do totems when they let most people get to second stage and are allergic to gens.

Imagine a killer sucking so much against this sort of team that they get value out of NOED anyway.

Imagine SWF almost never having issues with this so ultimately this is just a tool to make solo queue even more miserable. But since we're whining about 'mains', bad killer 'mains' are simply too unsympathetic to understand this.

Screw NOED, probably one of the biggest reasons why matchmaking is so screwy. Bad killers carried against solo teams they somehow struggle against when they shouldn't getting value off that dumb perk.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

I just want it to be less of a solo stomper (yeah it also stomps full swfs on comms but they have the tools to coordinate breaking totems/keeping track of broken totems/someone bringing a perk for that purpose) they could've added the option for a totem counter on the HUD but decided to tie it to a perk instead, as that's the BHVR way.

I don't run noed but let's be honest. I like benefitting from its existence anyway, much in the same way as DS. I want it to stay mostly the same in terms of mechanics. I'd just make it so breaking two or more totems makes you immune to its effects. In that case solos who do their share don't get punished for their teammates' apathy. Only two survivors would be immune, max, you'd still have two exposed survivors, the speed boost, and the lack of warning that most exposed perks don't have.

Have you ever played solo, broken four totems and died to noed? It's not a great feeling to put it mildly. Bonus points if you're the only one sacrificed.

So either that change or the option of a non-perk totem counter and I'd be happy with it.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

I just want it to be less of a solo stomper (yeah it also stomps full swfs on comms but they have the tools to coordinate breaking totems/keeping track of broken totems/someone bringing a perk for that purpose) they could've added the option for a totem counter on the HUD but decided to tie it to a perk instead, as that's the BHVR way.

I don't run noed but let's be honest. I like benefitting from its existence anyway, much in the same way as DS. I want it to stay mostly the same in terms of mechanics. I'd just make it so breaking two or more totems makes you immune to its effects. In that case solos who do their share don't get punished for their teammates' apathy. Only two survivors would be immune, max, you'd still have two exposed survivors, the speed boost, and the lack of warning that most exposed perks don't have.

Have you ever played solo, broken four totems and died to noed? It's not a great feeling to put it mildly. Bonus points if you're the only one sacrificed.

So either that change or the option of a non-perk totem counter and I'd be happy with it.

• SonicOffline
    edited September 2021
    Options

I think it just comes down to the balance of gens vs pips. Bones are BP and count towards objective, which is something I cannot blame someone for wanting to do. I'm guilty of sem-regularly bringing a pink map with retardant jelly and crystal bead with detective's hunch.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

As a solo q player, "just do bones" feels like a joke.

I almost never touch dull totems. Wanna know why?

My team mated will very likely be walking around a locker while I cleanse the totem. Considering I am the only one I can rely on, I have to do gens all the time and rescue survivors all the time since my team mates will usually let the hooked person die. If I get chased, even if I last for a minute it is super likely no gens will be done in that time.

If I stop to do bones, I don't do gens, which in solo q means death. If I do bones, I will at max do 3, while my team will be dancing around a pile of wood.

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234
    Options

That's how Hexes work. You don't know a Hex is in play until its effect is applied. Devour, NOED, Ruin, Lullaby, Retribution, Haunted, all of them don't reveal themselves until their criteria is met. If people knew Hexes were in play before they had any chance to do anything, they'd be even more useless.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

the only problem i have with NOED is that it punishes teams who did a lot of totems (but not all) and teams who didnt bother with them whatsoever all the same.

IMO NOED should be hitting much harder the more totems are left.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 793
    Options

I'm not saying that survivors should be notified that the killer has NOED before it activates.

When Haunted Grounds activates, survivors are instantly notified that they are Exposed. The same should also be true of NOED (and Devour Hope too, but this thread is specifically about NOED so I didn't mention it earlier).

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    Options

4K's with 2 Gens done.

"Oh boy, here I go losing again"

:(

LOL

• SonicOffline
    Options
  • Sweet_Tour
    Sweet_Tour Member Posts: 558
    Options

Now that's not to say I don't think Noed is bullshit. Cause it honestly is. Nothing is more infuriating then the last Gen popping mid chase and you get smacked because the killer moves faster and Has an instadown.

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 666
    Options

You failed to mention one of the conditions to escape and that is to survive. The steps necessary to do that fall on the survivor and not on the killer. That is why they are called survivors.

One of those steps may entail the need to cleanse totems. Those who are working on totems are not doing nothing. They are trying to survive so they can escape. The same can't be said of those who only work on generators. Gen rushers just want matches handed them on a silver platter. They want the prize without actually working for it.

From time to time I use NOED, No Way Out and Blood Warden on purpose and let the survivors complete the generators. I hook one or two of them and might even sacrifice one. Once the generators are done then I do what I can to sacrifice the rest of them. it's a great tactic to use against gen rushers and it pretty effective. I frequently end the match having sacrificed three survivors and many times all 4. If the totems are all cleansed and NOED doesn't activate frequently at least two escape.

Doing it in that manner doesn't make me a inexperienced killer. Devious sure however not inexperienced.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    Options

It's anecdotal, but I play mostly solo queue - NOED has little to no impact on my escape rate.

If I see a totem when I'm repairing or en route to a gen, I'll do it.

If I bring my Detective's Hunch/Inner Strength build and I see a couple of totems left when the last gen pops, I'll check them if it's practical and/or someone goes down to NOED.

If I'm not running anything and can't find the totem after a cursory look (assuming the killer is camping), I'll leave - I don't care if all the other survivors bite it.

I escape a lot solo and usually pip (almost always safety if not) if I die.

• CriticalWeasel
    CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378
    Options

I hate the phrase "Do Bones" when your a solo player.

You don't have the power of clairvoyance to know if a survivor has done a totem.

You could do a totem hunting build but that also means your losing time on gens looking for them, which is extremely bad when your up against a mobile killer.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 942
    Options

If you "just do bones" and you let's say you can only find 4/5 of them, then all you did was make NoED stronger. Not even counting the time it takes to find & cleanse totems, which can be a detriment if you're playing alone and the killer is already applying pressure, there's not always as much time for it.

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 230
    Options

The ones who ignore the Totems sitting right next to gens. Like walking past dirty dishes in the sink or something, like "Nah it's fine, I'll take care of it."