EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

great, thanks!

yeah, i can get into the menu now. this is great, so i can collect rewards and spend BP. i'll try a KYF when i get the chance. anyone else tried KYF?

one step closer! this is already way better than Stadia.

• 20PercentRendered
    Options

I was able to play 2 full matches without issue. I used the epic games version of the game through Heroic. Then from heroic's settings I set proton experimental, and then added it to steam via HeroicBashLauncher, and set the launch script that it generated to use steam's own eac runtime. Then in the game files I copied the EasyAntiCheat folder into DeadByDaylight/Binaries/EGS/EasyAntiCheat to fix the EAC Catalogue error. (The steam version might not complain about the catalogue, but it might fail silently and kick you, I don't own the game on steam and can't test. )

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

guys, I can join to game w/o some manipulations, but game kick me too. i can 100%, when all players quickly press ready

• AbsoluteLength
    AbsoluteLength Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2022
    Options

Can confirm what Gustash and 20percent have said.

Just been playing a few games via Epic Games Client using the Heroic Launcher. Was able to join and play normally 🤯😍

Steps I used.

In the game directory copy the EasyAntiCheat folder to DeadByDaylight/Binaries/EGS/

Download Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime on STEAM. Copy the "Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime" folder to any directory and remove the spaces in the folder name

In Heroic Launcher go to DBD game settings.

Set Wine version to Proton-GE-Proton7-41 (not tested others).

make sure EasyAntiCheat Runtime is UNCHECKED.

Then added this Environment Variable

name: PROTON_EAC_RUNTIME value: PATH/TO/STEAM/PROTON_RUNTIME

(the folder without spaces example: /home/*USER*/Games/Heroic/Proton_EasyAntiCheat_Runtime)

EDIT: FPS can be unlocked by changing the Engine.ini and GameUserSetting.ini inside the pfx directory.

launch from Heroic Launcher and Enjoy.

Heroic Bash Launcher doesn't seem to want to find my Heroic install so feel like this is a clunky way of getting it working. but playing games as we speak. Of course all my progress and dlc is on steam and the cross platform merge is currently unavailable! 🤦‍♂️ but I'll take it as a win for now considering there is still ZERO communication from the people in charge

Post edited by AbsoluteLength on
  • _ManlyMaid
    _ManlyMaid Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2022
    Options

Another confirmation:

It works with Heroic. Playing DBD on Nobara in 2022 who would have thought. Lets see how long this lasts.

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Shows it works! just need them to sort steam now! Actually have some hope now 🤣🤞

• nikodemo
    Options

would you please post your exact environment variable? is it just:

PROTON_EAC_RUNTIME PATH/TO/STEAM/PROTON_RUNTIME

?

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Mine is

PROTON_EAC_RUNTIME = /home/*USER*/Games/Heroic/Proton_EasyAntiCheat_Runtime

Because I copied the steam runtime to my Heroic folder. Yours will have to point to where you put the steam runtime. I'm not sure if you can use it from the steam folder. I had issues with the spaces so just moved it instead

• nikodemo
    edited November 2022
    Options

barring any issue of spaces or capitals, why would this work for Heroic and not just in Steam itself?

i've tried pointing to the Proton EAC directory. I've tried copying over the files from that directory directly into the DbD folder. but none of that works.

still, it's good to note that it can and is working for some people, which means that it can be done and with relative ease as long as EAC is configured correctly.

note this progress please, @Mandy , for the team.

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

I don't have much experience with anti cheat and only have limited experience with game development. but the fact it works on Epic but not Steam with the Steam runtime is baffling. Still playing and streaming to Youtube since I posted that the games working. It's running flawlessly too. Zero issues, this feels like such a simple fix it's frustrating that we're getting zero updates when people are willing to help.

• nikodemo
    Options

what's your youtube? Mandy can show it to the devs as a proof of concept in the wild.

• AbsoluteLength
    edited November 2022
    Options

Youtube Alex the Absolute Length, I've not read the rules on posting the link or advertising so I don't want to link it 😅. Just streaming it to show it's possible.

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27
    Options

For me it's working out of the box in steam, seems a lot easier than in heroic. I just had to install "Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime" from my steam library and it works out of the box.

• nikodemo
    Options

it works as in you're playing full matches?

it kicks me once the match begins with Error: 500

• Stephen304
    Options

Full tutorial matches yep - multiplayer still doesn't work but I've played a handful of tutorial matches without issue. I first noticed it started working on my steam deck and when trying on my laptop I forgot to install the eac runtime on my laptop, so I deleted the game fully as well as the proton prefix, so I pretty much started from 0. Installed the game, eac runtime, set proton to 7.0-4 (since I have my global default to experimental), and it works. This is on X11 and using flatpak steam on arch if that matters.

• nikodemo
    Options

ok. it's more that they're playing actual live matches, is all. so a bit different.

i can get into the menus and do things that don't involve other real players, but i haven't tried a Custom Match just yet. don't have time to get a group to test with.

• Stephen304
    Options

Ah! That's crazy. For me I don't get a 500 error on live matches, just a generic "disconnected" message. That's great to hear though, I assumed there was still some server sided thing that needed to be enabled to join live matches but it seems we're even closer to being able to play if it's just a client issue. I was expecting to get a ton of bot match practice in before actually getting to earn BP again.

• Dad_
    Dad_ Member Posts: 19
    Options

I can confirm. I went into Desktop mode on the Steam Deck and installed the "Proton Runtime" under the tools group in my Steam Library. I now no longer get the "EAC failed to initialize" message when launching the game. I can join online lobbies and ready up but once the game starts I get a generic "disconnected" message. I am not going to do anymore online testing because I don't want to mess with peoples lobbies.

Side note: I did notice some small stuttering here and there. It might be shader compilation.

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Just in case people don't realize, you can play the game with ZERO issues on Heroic via the method others and I mentioned.

As in full game, Multiplayer matches.

I've been playing for 6 ish hours and had no issues at all. A basement was lit incorrectly on one map, which happens on windows.

I see zero reasons why Steam shouldn't be playable now, it's using the steam EAC runtime lol.

An update from someone official would go down a treat.

• nikodemo
    Options

that's great to hear, and an excellent proof of concept.

@Mandy it would be great to have this information brought to the devs and to get some real feedback on this, since it seems it's working except that EAC is somehow misconfigured.

we're not looking to cheat, and no one is bypassing EAC. we're trying to help get the anti-cheat running so we can just play the game fairly and equally on our system.

thanks for all your time, effort and patience on this topic.

• jomarocas
    jomarocas Member Posts: 11
    Options

for me kick out version steam and install EAC runtime, when I try to play a match, there is only one step, only one for playing dbd at least

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

can I ask what method you used to make it work? steam runtime etc?

• nikodemo
    Options

Let's not say "it's working." We have a workaround. But this won't work for most users who just want an install and play experience through steam.

Still great to see and proof it CAN and WILL work, if they just fix their EAC configuration, which should not take long at all.

• Gustash
    Gustash Member Posts: 19
    Options

I don't think we're claiming here that it works as it should. Any manual work should be unnecessary, and I don't think we should consider it working until an official announcement is made, which guarantees support in case it breaks in updates.

As it stands, they could easily break it with another patch (accidentally, I'd hope).

We're just signaling to the dev team that whatever they did, even if unintentional, has fixed most of the issues they were having. This way they can easily backtrack what they did and, at least, make sure not to break it again with a patch until official support is ready.

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

what work? steam version doesn't work...

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Read through the previous page. It works with some setup using Heroic launcher (Epic Games Store client) 2 ways to setup, one with just Heroic and another using Heroic Bash Launcher.

• nikodemo
    edited November 2022
    Options

let's just be careful with our verbiage so that we don't give wrong impressions or soundbites are taken out of context.

there's currently a workaround that shows DbD can work just fine on Linux for those who use the Epic Game Store version.

for native Steam and simple "install and play," we're still looking for EAC configuration issues to be resolved on BHVR side.

but it's clear, with video evidence, the game works fine once EAC issues are resolved.

so we hope BHVR will take the small amount of time needed to resolve this simple yet show-stopping issue.

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

I understand what you're saying and why but the game DOES work. I've played it for two days none stop and the only issue I've come across is incorrectly lit basements.

I think we can safely say it works as long as we make sure people know it requires manual setup. Also that BHVR refuse to comment on the work around so anyone doing the same will do so at there own risk. Most people will need a throw away account anyway as it's on Epic and typically the account merge feature is down 🤨.

At this point it's pretty fair to think that BHVR could enable this officially on steam at any point and are choosing not to. Maybe it's a security issue? Maybe not. Either way I'll keep playing until they patch it or officially release the steam version.

• nikodemo
    Options

that's all fine. for me, it's just proof of concept. it practically doesn't help me since i'm not going to make an Epic account and not have all the stuff i accrued for 2k hrs.

i just don't want the devs, or anyone, to see "it works," and then shut their brain down and move on.

we're not at the finish line yet.

but it's clear the ONLY barrier here is EAC, and that only on Steam for some config reason, since it's the Steam Proton EAC that is even allowing the EGS version to pass and successfully connect.

• nikodemo
    Options

i'll update the first post later this morning with this new development.

• AbsoluteLength
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yeah it's a shame it's currently EGS only, I'll switch to Steam the second it's possible but just being able to play at all is a win 🤣

When you update the original post could you please mention what Gustash wrote, that it's not supported and could break at any time.

Would it also be worth suggesting using a fresh throw away account? I've not worked much with EAC and not sure what it checks or bans for. Id hate anyone that does play on Epic as their main platform to get a ban and lose all their progress/skins/dlc. I see no reason why they would it's not like the runtime/game files has been altered in anyway, but just a precaution. Again an official update would go down a treat 🙄😅

Post edited by AbsoluteLength on
  • Tiixxel
    Tiixxel Member Posts: 25
    Options

Can confirm that the EGS version works with EAC. Can play on both my Steam Deck and Desktop, although it is a hit or miss and sometimes it will error on the inintial loading screen, sometimes it won't and just work perfectly fine.

• AbsoluteLength
    edited November 2022
    Options

Did you use one of the methods posted in here? I had one error while logging back in this evening. Restarted the client and logged back in fine. Same for you?

Edit: Didn't have any errors yesterday, Only tonight after unlocking FPS. You haven't unlocked too have you?

• Tiixxel
    Options

It happened without the FPS unlock. It's basically rolling a dice, sometimes the client will say "ye sure no EAC problems", sometimes it will. I restart until it works.

And I have my progress from steam on EGS because I synced it previously :)

• h0lyl337
    h0lyl337 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2022
    Options

I followed the steps, to the T and so far its working, make sure you use proton ge 7.41 and uncheck easy anticheat runtime, played a full online game. if you get failed to connect to RTM server, just keep hitting retry. If you get eac failed to initialize, start the game over, the post above me is correct, IT IS a hit or miss.

Post edited by h0lyl337 on
  • nikodemo
    Options

OP updated.

• Rokolell
    Rokolell Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2022
    Options

The steam version fails here: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/blob/cdaec5b33ea5d332e51eee4e4866495c90442122/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/LevelTick.cpp#L438

I suspect auth fails on the server side and it force closes the connection.

Not really sure how to debug it further without decrypted game logs, though. If a dev sees this, it's probably the best to debug what's wrong on Steam's or Proton's end and report it, so other games won't suffer from the same issue, and no workarounds are needed.

Or you decrypt my gamelogs, and I'll retry. :3

Post edited by Rokolell on
  • Xenanthropy
    Xenanthropy Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hmm i've followed the instructions to get it working and I still can't get it to work - keep running into the "EAC unable to be instantiated" line every time I try to run the game, and i've tried launching it a good 20 times. Not sure what i'm doing wrong here - copied the EasyAntiCheat folder, unchecked eac runtime in Heroic, setup the env. var. and folder (and checked to make sure it's pointing to the right location) selected the same version of proton GE. Tried launching it from both Heroic Launcher as well as through steam (via HeroicBashLauncher game script)

• ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20
    Options

When you guys say that you can play it via the Epic Games do you mean that you play on a different account than the Steam one? The progression, characters and all that stuff isn't shared between Epic Games and Steam, right?

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Yeah a different account, You can merge progress using the tool online between steam and epic. But in typical BHVR style the tool has been down since JULY!

• Tiixxel
    Options

I managed to merge my accounts before they shut the tool down, progress has been in sync and haven't had any problems so far.

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Does dlc transfer over? Not a chance I'm buying them again.

They're aiming to get the cross progress tool back up by THE END OF THE YEAR! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

I'd say they'll have the Steam client fixed by then but honestly who knows.

🤣😅 You have to laugh at this point. If my friends played any other multiplayer game I would of just left.

• davidlicurici
    davidlicurici Member Posts: 46
    Options

the new chapter came and you still can't play.. it disconnects you, I'm very sad.

• Siylph
    Siylph Member Posts: 3
    Options

The epic version using heroic works fine for me with workarounds (copying the easyanticheat folder to binaries>EGS and add a variable name PROTON_EAC_RUNTIME with the proton easyanticheat runtime folder as value), steam version still with the disconnect issue. If behaviour allow us to link steam and epic accounts would already help a lot!

• Tiixxel
    Options

New update is still working. No problems so far.

• AbsoluteLength
    edited November 2022
    Options

This using the Heroic launcher?

Edit: Getting disconnected from steam like Siylph wrote.