The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I think we can afford for gens to take longer

danielmaster87
danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,062
edited September 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

This new patch is great and all (not entirely) but it's not changing much.

Gen speed is the #1 thing holding killers back from competing with the survivors. They just take too little time to complete. Killers have to run 4 gen defence perks. "I do just fine and I don't run gen defence." Then you're not at high level. We need to move away from needing gen defence to compete. Perhaps making the gens take longer would fix that. Just add 10-20 seconds. That could just as easily be 10-20 seconds breaking a totem or searching a chest. It's not a big deal. "But the gens will take foreverrrrr." That's what you said with old Ruin, yet even then gens got done in 5 minutes. Granted every map was Haddonfield-level OP for survivor back then, but not much has changed on that either.

Even when killers don't get looped into oblivion, and end chases really quicky, the gens fly. They can run Pop, Ruin, Corrupt, Tinkerer, you name it, but survivors have greater pressure still. All you have to do is split up on gens. The killer can't be everywhere at once. No amount of skill or game knowledge is gonna save the killer from survivors who know how to pressure gens. The last gen is getting done.

So if there's no point in defending gens, because you'll lose them anyway, killers will just start bringing NOED and Rancor for mass slugs at the end. I don't think we want that to be the only viable strategy for killer, which brings into question why strategies like M&A Deathslinger are getting gutted.

"Survivors just need a second objective". Well I'll tell you: boon totems are not it. A survivor will go and activate their boon totem, which gives them some sort of bonus, and then it will be back to gens as usual. It's not slowing the survivors down gen-wise.

So a decision needs to be made here. Are we going to make gen defence perks stronger, or are we going to up the gen times. Because if we're not doing either of those, the killer base's days are numbered for this game.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184

finally someone else says it. Making gens take 100 seconds would not only be beneficial for killer but it’ll help new players better understand the percent values brought on by perks and add ons that effect generator repair.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

But then Survivors will say that it's boring to sit on a Gen for 100 seconds and asking for Greats to be more rewarding

If they were to make Gen Regression .50 instead of .25 that can make a big difference

Yea Ruin will see an increase of regression (all the more reason to run it/ get rid of it)

But look at all of the other Gen Regression perks that don't involve a skillcheck... Pop, Eruption, and Oppession (they do involve a gen to be kicked so speeding up that process will be a thing that the Devs need to change as well) and just look at the % Pop 25 Eruption 6 Oppession 0... it doesn't look good at all

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407

No thank you. If it is true that killer is too weak, than there must be a better way to target games at the higher end where killers run into this problem. Longer gens will hit all survivors regardless of skill and slowdown / increase boring elements of the game.

• Mercês
    Mercês Member Posts: 376

I don't gens should take longer as it's very boring for survivors. I think they should add a secondary objective that allows killers snowball very easily if not done my survivors, as powerful as cenobite's chain-hunt, per example.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

the only way is to buff or nerf one side or add a new mechanic.

otherwise it'll always be back and forth

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,082

100 is a bit too much. i think 90 is would sufficient however there is problem....

all killers are getting nerfed so it doesn't matter what generator are at if the killer is struggling to down one survivor......

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684

No, it’s boring to do gens

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Awful ideas.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

Yeah let's make solo queue more painful, got it.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Increase Gen time equal to direct buff on Gen perks. There for Killer will use Gen perks even more than usual. Which is never good in balance.

We thought survivors need another objective. But eventually it will be too much vs 1v4 Killer. You can see example of Pinhead with Ruin in indoor map, 1 in chase, 1 on Box, 1 on Ruin. Later even if Ruin is out, 1 on hook, 1 on unhook, 1 in chase, 1 on Box.

We need all Killers to be 1v4 like Pinhead.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Could at least make repairs more engaging. Yellow glyphs show that checks can be far more eventful .

Wanna add time without making them take longer? Add another form of player action while on the generator, make them constantly engaging over one button and waiting.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

You would have to fix camping and tunneling to compensate. If you make gens take longer then there is still nothing stopping the killers from tunneling a person out of the game making it nearly unwinnable with gens speeds longer.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

For those that don't know, gen repair times have already been increased in the past and it didn't fix the situation. To be honest, making the Deadlock perk just a basekit part of the game would have probly been the best solution to the problem. Along with some built in solutions to camping and tunneling. Like making it to where if you get hooked again within 60 seconds after getting unhooked and before any other survivor has been hooked, instead of going to the next hook stage, you just go to the hook percentage that you were unhooked at. And making it to where there's some indication when the killer is within a certain distance of a hooked survivor but no other survivors are so that smart survivors can just jump on gens when the killer is camping.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Ur not addressing any of the issues that come with just casually bumping the time it takes to repair gens up.

What about killers who camp? Even just til stage 2 is still crippling to the person on the hook.

What about every perk and add-on that affects repair speed via penalties?

Tunneling is also an issue too. If gens take longer it's easier for a killer to tunnel someone out of a match earlier and make it a 3 v 1 at 4 - 5 gens potentially.

Ur not taking into account the balance catastrophe that increasing gen times would create

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

This guy summed everything up perfectly. Some of these could easily be implemented and would help (Gen regression and tap stuff for example). Others not so much sadly like map designs and tile layout.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Thank you. No one seems to realize increasing gen speeds will buff camping and tunneling.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Take a look at, @Labrac's post in this thread. Some of his ideas are pretty good without making the game super boring (taking forever to repair gens).

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Most of those are examples of survivors making mistakes and being caught. Of course the scenario is bad when things don't go well.

Balance is a semi fair (asymmetrical after all) flow when things are played well on both sides.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    edited September 2021

I mean you're right ,but they could add like 10 or 15 more seconds to generator times.3 survivor's with BPN or all them is the equivalent of tunneling and camping.It takes 120 secs to catch one survivor and gens are 80s seconds ,3 survivors on different gens that's 3 gens and a half killers like Trapper and Wraith stand no chance in these matches so you're forced to slug.

It could be pretty boring if the gens are to slow,but perks like Thana and Dying Light do nothing.I ran a full no healing build and survivor's still healed in a matter of seconds there was only 1 gen left,when i finished the match and that's only because, I played with a powerful killer.

So they need to either address these perks and add-ons or slow down the gens by at least 10 percent of their base speed or like some other mention give us better regression ,I barely kick gens and survivor's can just come and get right back on as soon as you turn your back.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    edited September 2021

Any way this is just something they can test,if it's to slow then they can always change it back or never implement it at all that's why they have PTBs

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Tunneling? Sure. Camping? Eh. I guess technically... But like, nothing worth mentioning, really.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,486

Killers will be incentivised to camp much harder if they know they can knock a Survivor out of the match in barely more time then it takes a generator to be repaired. It will absolutely increase how often you see campers.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,062

Yes, they can just do a test. Even though we know what the feedback is gonna be.

Bloodlust removal test? Community: "Yes! Keep this permanent, even though killers need it!"

Gen time increase test? Community: "It will never work! Killers will only camp and tunnel!"

It's survivor-sided double standards.

• Slippers
    Slippers Member Posts: 5

I would prefer something like this, a huge part of changing gens are that its so basic. theres only so many values you can alter. If theres more to them there would be more things to tinker with.

• Viamont
    Viamont Member Posts: 304

You want survivors to have something to do aside from generators?...its not that hard, im going to borrow some ideas from amongus for this.

Game starts, ALL generators are off, survivors need to turn them on to start working on them, this can be achieved by following a VERY visually easy to follow energy cord to a swich that should be turned on (it doesnt need to take to much time to do this, say 5/10 seconds at most), after that the generator becomes active (to prevent problems the moment the generator its turned on IT CANT be turned off in any way), the cord should be a small distance away to prevent problems. With this the game doesnt start imediatly with gen rushing as an example, betwen finding the generator and turning it on you are already taking away a good 20+ seconds depending on place and situation before the gens starts, this gives the killer some wiggle room to move around and start the chase.

Out of ALL the generators 1 or 2 should need to use a key item to be found on the map, be a gas can or a fuse or watever, this will also make it so survivors will have to fumble items on the spot but also will give a turn to the game. If by watever reason the last gen its one of this it will make for a scavanger hunt. OF course to prevent soft lockdowns the needed item should NOT be visible to the kiler, that way it can be camped out with killers like the traper or the hag.

With this two things the game becomes more dinamic and ebens out the field a bit, where the killer has to fumble chases, hooks, generators and hatch, now survivors have to fumble activation, gen repairs and key item finding.

Might not be the best idea, but in all honesty will give survivors more to do around, altought increasing the time generators need for a full repair isnt a bad idea to

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

And thats when survivor mains will complain that the killers are too "op" just look at spirit and gunslinger.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 967

I'm all for adding a secondary objective for survivors. I've said this before but reworking the environments to have more things to interact with other than the chests would be good. Repurpose things like the new part and the gloves so that a gen needs a new part to be found in the map and inserted before we are able to repair it, find a length of wire to patch a cable before the power from the generator can be counted as complete, have the exit door handle missing and someone has to find it in anticipation for the end game, etc.

This would feel like a natural evolution of what is already happening.

• Artemisha
    Artemisha Member Posts: 401

Repairing gens is the most boring action as survivor. Increasing the time of that process would be a very bad solution.

Games should be longer, I agree on that part.

Gen rush and camp tunnel shouldn´t be the most powerful strats in game.