What really annoys me with Freddy~

Baby_Victor
Baby_Victor Member Posts: 486
edited October 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

You know what really truly digs at me, when I play Freddy? It’s the fact that he has three special abilities but only access to two of them at any given time. Why? I get his kit isn’t a pushover and all three powers consecutively being used could be overwhelming….but hear me out.

Whether you choose Dream Snares or Dream Pallets, these two powers require little thought or strategy to employ. Mostly because they are spammable. Also, only being able to bring one or the other of these two powers means less surprises, less strategy and arguably less fun for both sides. The less your doing as a Killer to capture the survivor, the less engaging the chase can be, and the less obstacles you could face as a survivor the more mundane and simple the chase can feel. Depriving Freddy of one of his tools into a ‘this or that’ scenario is partly why he feels as boring as he does. If he is dropping snares then your free to trust pallets, if you fall asleep and find more Pallets or you used a Fake one, then you know you don’t need to pay attention to where you are running.

I feel Freddy is so close to being a more engaging Killer but the Killers tools are stifled because they didn’t want him to be Oppressive or…or maybe they were just too lazy how to use both powers with the same button, I dunno. If he had all three abilities, at all times, then I would agree. My suggestion is obviously to set a limit.

(Up for deliberation but…)

Say that if you play Dream Snares (unlimited) then you could be gifted 3 Dream Pallets and if you played Dream Pallets (Unlimited) then you could get 10 Snares. It’s a non-renewable resource that could add more flavor to his matches. It will also add some more meaning to survivor actions. A survivor destroying a Dream pallet, because he saw the Killer place it, means virtually nothing when Freddy can easily replace it with a button. Destroying a precious pallet that Freddy only has three of? Well that’s a minor feel good victory all by itself. Same as wasting his Snares if he is all in with the Dream Pallets.

Freddy could also start planning out and strategizing with his full tool kit. Would he act like Snares mean nothing to him in early game, while he secretly creates his Dream Pallet Trap Army, or play normally, but would carefully put his Limited Dream Pallets in precise locations where the have the most potential for a practical outplay? Using Snares to push the idea that ‘this loop must be safe’ to then be blindsided by a fake pallet. I just see so much more potential for chases with Freddy has everything.

I know people will be apprehensive about a fully Kit Freddy, but are you really satisfied with his stale gameplay now? He just spams his power because they have no limit and little to no downside. Since the power is basically one dimensional (by its self) the Survivors can turn off half their brain when they figure out which of the two abilities this Freddy is using.

Just something I’ve wanted to say for awhile, basically every time I jump in Freddy I think about how much more fun or engaging this chase could be If I had both Dream snares and Dream pallets.~

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

That would be neat for sure.

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,045

I like this idea but BHVR probably aren't going to touch Freddy again for a long time, if ever. They've reworked him in some form... what, four or five times? Right now he is technically performing fine and so I wouldn't be surprised if he stays the way he is.

Unfortunately, current Freddy drains my soul just by thinking about his design. All the potential of his earlier versions wasted; not super strong, not super weak, very easy to play but not rewarding, uninteractive on both ends, possibly the worst add-on selection of any killer, boring to play as and against. In my eyes, he needs another rework, even though statistically he may be doing fine.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

They reworked clown into a 2 button deal thats how i feel they should rework his power where left bumper toggles between snare and pallet.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593
    Black Box
    • Press the Active Ability button to place Dream Pallets.
    • Increases amount of Dream Tokens to 10.
    • Disables Dream Projection.

Replacing his teleport ability with Dream Pallets would trade his map pressure for chase potential.

While you could just use this to get more Snares, that's not worth the downside of losing your Projection, so you would need to use Pallets and Snares together to make this worth it.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

Even if his full kit is unlocked he's still pretty boring to play. Old Freddy as weak as he is. Was pretty unique in comparison to this one.

• Baby_Victor
    Baby_Victor Member Posts: 486

I, of course, whole heartily agree but I was trying to avoid personally talking about Old Freddy since I wanted to focus on my personal gripe with New Freddy. I think someone suggested that I could basically cancel my teleport ability to instead run Snares and Pallets. That doesn’t sound bad and if thats all BHVR would give me, I would take it…but…Freddy also has a mind-game with fake teleporting at gen. I was trying to create a version of Freddy that could have all 3 abilities, so he could play all his mind-games and also use his slow down powers, without being over-powered.

I like Freddy and his abilities but I don’t like how lopsided it feels to take one or the other ability.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

For me its the lack of variety that is the problem. Not enought people are playing Pallet Freddy so we don't see dream pallets often enough. If they just switch the defaults to pallets you would have to play an offering to give him the stronger power. As it is now it seems wrong to play an offering that makes him weaker.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

Honestly no amount of discussion on how to limit or unlock his powers would make Freddy any interesting. His power is inherently boring and there's nothing to think about when using it. Just slap his slow puddle on the long side and run it that way, there's nothing creative you can do about it. Even with pallets press the ability and you're good to go spamming it lol. At least Clown has to think of his trajectory as barebones that is and I have seen some cheeky clown plays with the speed bottle.

Freddy needs a rework and it doesn't help that Freddy currently has lame add ons.