Quick Fix: Looping

Hello. In this post I'd like to address the common issue of looping, that is survivors running in circles using windows, pallets, or even just terrain to prevent the killer from being able to touch them. Below I will list two potential fixes to this problem.

Window Looping

Currently there is a 3 vault limit within a single chase. While this is reasonable for low level players it ends up being rather exploitable for high level players. There are potentially two solutions to this issue; A) Limit it to a two vault limit so that it cuts down on the time survivors are able to exploit this or B) Limit it to a one vault limit. The benefit of A is that it allows survivors to do a fake out, that is going over and then jumping back through, but high level players do not utilize this tactic for a multitude of reasons (simply it being more worthwhile to use it in a loop format and that by doing a fake out you create a sound that lets the killer know what you're doing anyhow).

This is why my suggestion would be option B. At first this seems unreasonable and that it would restrict survivors unnecessarily, but I assure you that is not the case and it actually makes a lot of sense. First we can look from a lore perspective, the survivors and killer are playing this game to appease the Entity. During the game, when the killer hooks a survivor the Entity will assist them/take the offering it is presented with. It then makes sense that the Entity would be willing to assist the killer in its chase by cutting off routes that would trouble it, ie windows. Looking at it from a horror perspective it also makes sense as in the horror genre hope is often taken away from characters in many various ways, having an escape route cut off by the creeping Entity aligns well with this.

Finally, from a gameplay perspective it makes a lot of sense due to the current meta of looping. It would prevent players from using windows to hard loop a killer and buy the team a great deal of time. However, to allow for this change to not be as harsh as it could be for the survivors I would suggest another mechanic change alongside the Entity blocking it after one vault, and that is a quick burst of speed after vaulting for the survivor. This as well makes sense from all perspectives, in a lore sense the survivor would fear the Entity blocking the window and give them a burst of fear and adrenaline, and from a gameplay perspective this would allow them to be rewarded for using the window and giving them a good chance to outpace the killer into an open field during their chase. A 1s burst of 150% speed should do fine.

Terrain Looping

An alternative form of looping is via the terrain. This kind of looping is believed due to the killer's hitbox being slightly larger than the survivors which allows for survivors to skim the terrain with more ease than the killer. Even with a higher movement speed the survivor's smaller hitbox makes up for this and leads to a slower chase where the killer struggles to reach proper striking distance. Additionally, doing this with terrain that has a pallet attached can lead to a very long and painful chase if the killer is to commit, and if they don't commit it means they will potentially never catch that survivor in particular. Another rather nuanced issue from the horror perspective is that it doesn't make much sense for the survivors who should be in complete fear of the killer to be playing a cheeky roundabout game with them. It shows just how powerless the killer actually is, and during the long while that they're being looped the other three teammates can be doing generators or cleansing totems.

There are a couple solutions to this ranging from super easy to super complex. Starting with the easy, decreasing the killer's hitbox should resolve this issue and cause the chase to proceed as per normal, the killer would gain on the survivor at normal pace and strike them. This however wouldn't prevent looping from being a strategy, it would simply lesson the time it would be viable. The real solution is then slightly more complex but still doable. Similar to the Clown's "Afterpiece Tonic" there would need to be an effect in the game called dizzy that adds together a visual impairment effect as well as the Hindered effect. The following is an example of how this could work, but as with all gameplay values it would need to be tested and balanced to be accurate in number.

If the survivor rotates their character (not their camera) 1080° in a matter of 6 to 8 seconds they would suffer from the Dizzy effect for 3 seconds, impairing their vision and slowing their movement speed by 5%. While dizzy the effects of Dizzy will persist by 1 second for every additional 180° rotation the survivor makes. Once Dizzy has subsided the cooldown and requirements will return to normal.

Summary

Ultimately whether the Game Developers implement these or other ideas the community has come up with is up to them, but these are the simplest methods using current systems and coding that I could think of. As a Game Dev myself I quite enjoy DbD and hope its various flaws are ironed out in time. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

The dizzy effect thing is just nonsense, the devs would never do that. However, the hitbox lower and 2 vault limit are perfect and is exactly what I've recommended. Even though it wouldn't stop the looping it would at least lower it a little. I think this could be fine if they also gave the killers more time like with the new event objectives.

• Whispers23
    Whispers23 Member Posts: 111

They should lower the usage of each window during the chase to twice or even once.

• Aerys
    Aerys Member Posts: 179

@Blueberry The point of my post is to offer solutions that are easily implemented into the current game, adding a status debuff such as Dizzy is already in the code in the form of the Clown's "Afterpiece Tonic" gas bomb and is thus able to be reused for this purpose albeit toned way down. I'm in no way saying that Survivors should only be able to run in straight lines, but the easiest way to prevent looping is to punish it directly. Cut the head off a snake, and the body will die.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

That simple fix to collision hitbox would solve a lot of headaches.

• Blueberry

@Aerys said:
    @Blueberry The point of my post is to offer solutions that are easily implemented into the current game, adding a status debuff such as Dizzy is already in the code in the form of the Clown's "Afterpiece Tonic" gas bomb and is thus able to be reused for this purpose albeit toned way down. I'm in no way saying that Survivors should only be able to run in straight lines, but the easiest way to prevent looping is to punish it directly. Cut the head off a snake, and the body will die.

That would just never happen. The devs would not add the dizzy effect just for circling a pallet. I also think it's not needed if the other changes were implemented.

• Aerys
    Aerys Member Posts: 179

Well yes, the idea isn't to implement all of the ideas but just one in each category. Even so, offering more ideas than just one is key to finding a solution and so I always strive to come up with options. Giving constructive criticism is welcome but outright claiming that it would never happen isn't conducive to conversation and isn't something you know for a fact, unless you are one of the devs yourself. Instead, try to point out the flaws in it and help shape a mechanic that is potentially more viable.

• Applecrayon
    Applecrayon Member Posts: 2

So if you take away a survivors ability to loop anything, including windows, then what is left for them to escape the killer with? After the pallet changes there are far too many 'dead zones' on the maps with nothing for the survivor to use. Take away their ability to use a window more than once, or even a piece of the terrain and there's nothing left.

Sure, the first survivor found can burn the pallets to stay safe for a while, but once that's done everyone on the team is screwed. Chases would be over in less than 30 seconds. Survivors don't loop because they are 'toxic' or 'exploiting' or any other excuse killer mains seem to come up with. They do it because there's nothing else to do, even more so after the pallet changes.

Until there are more ways for the survivor to lose the killer then ideas like this just won't work without giving something back.

And no, your speed burst idea doesn't count because it's already a perk, one that got a little bit worse with the vaulting changes.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Looping does not help Survivors escape. How does being chased help you escape, exactly?

• CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540

While we are removing windows, round objects and the ability to run to the left and the right should we also remove all pallets? As the big push to make survivors gameplay only stealth? (Hide, M1, Hide, M1 = Fun) Better yet all survivors shall start the match tied to the ground with a white flag hanging out of their mouths. That should keep them happy.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Orion said:
    Looping does not help Survivors escape. How does being chased help you escape, exactly?

It gives you time to do gens. Time is the most valuable currency in DBD and you should know that

• Orion

@Master said:

@Orion said:

It gives you time to do gens. Time is the most valuable currency in DBD and you should know that

Let me rephrase: how does looping help the Survivor who is looping to escape? They're gonna get caught eventually, it's just a matter of time.

• Master

@Orion said:

@Master said:

@Orion said:

Let me rephrase: how does looping help the Survivor who is looping to escape? They're gonna get caught eventually, it's just a matter of time.

Well if the looping surivor is the only one left in the game, it doesnt help at all. But its 1 vs4 you know?
    Why do I need to explain this to you though? You know very well how it works

• Orion

@Master said:

@Orion said:

@Master said:

@Orion said:

Well if the looping surivor is the only one left in the game, it doesnt help at all. But its 1 vs4 you know?

So 3 escape, and the looper dies. I ask you again, how does looping help the looper escape?

• Master

@Orion said:

@Master said:

@Orion said:

@Master said:

@Orion said:

So 3 escape, and the looper dies. I ask you again, how does looping help the looper escape?

Being downed does not equal dieing. A survivor has three lifes + second chances

• Blueberry

As Orion has pointed out as well, looping doesn't help the survivor he's chasing to survive whatsoever. The only thing looping does is let him waste more of the killers time. Any competent player knows one of the big issues with the game right now is an imbalance of time between the two sides to complete their objectives.

• CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540

@Blueberry said:
    As Orion has pointed out as well, looping doesn't help the survivor he's chasing to survive whatsoever. The only thing looping does is let him waste more of the killers time. Any competent player knows one of the big issues with the game right now is an imbalance of time between the two sides to complete their objectives.

Its almost as if it is a team game.> @Orion said:

@Master said:

@Orion said:

@Master said:

@Orion said:

Because teamwork?