We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Should Boons be 'only used once per match'? (UPDATED)

Frontdoor6
Frontdoor6 Member Posts: 609
edited October 2021 in General Discussions

I've been hearing alot of people complaining about the new Boons and, honestly, when i first heard of them, i was thinking they'd end up being a 'use once per match' kind of thing because they sounded strong and especially since four different people can use it

I mean, turning dull bones into hexes i understand, but able to do it multiple times and on killer hexes too? Thats a bit op, don't you think?

(UPDATE)

Or, maybe they should be a 'Risk and Reward' thing.

The tracking Boon hides your scratch marks and auras, BUT makes you oblivious to the killer

and the healing Boon helps you heal faster, BUT highlights your blood like Blood Hound

What about that kind of thing?

Post edited by Frontdoor6 on

Comments

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

Yes, once per match like Hex Totems.

Also the "Hex totems are global" isn't even a good argument. It's the Killer's perk, they are meant to be significantly more powerful than a survivors, that's why there are 4 survivors. The Boon totems are massive buff's for all survivors in an area, that's more than merited as a one time use Perk.

Hex Cleansed/Blessed = destroyed.

Boon Snuffed = destroyed

Is how it should be.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767

Each totem should get a cooldown like 90 secs or snuffing=breaking the totems forever

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

There needs to be more opportunity cost for using the totems if the blessings are going to remain infinite.

A cooldown for example, or if a boon totem is snuffed that was on a hex totem, that hex comes back.

Theres just not enough differentiation between cleansing and blessing, especially if the blessing mechanic is going to go forward with more effects, it'll just make cleansing more and more obsolete which will give rise to more NOED and endgame builds centered around it.

• BlackRabies
    BlackRabies Member Posts: 932

I still prefer that the killer just destroyed the blessed totem so the survivors have some restrictions.

Biggest difference between the two I'm sure people forget killers can protect their totems (but really none bother) survivors can't and forced away.

• Impose
    Impose Member Posts: 400

Yes

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

Snuffing them feels pointless and unsatisfying. Just let me destroy the totems

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

The opportunity cost for giving your entire team 6-8 perks is very small indeed.

• Frontdoor6
    Frontdoor6 Member Posts: 609
    edited October 2021

Most Killer hexes are one time use and get snuffed out fast

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,934

Nah. They would have to buff them if they made it a one time use.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Not, it should give killer ability to snuff Boon or destroy Boon.

(So my Noed still have a slot)

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Not when it takes 28 seconds to bless it. It only takes killer 1 second to snuff it. And he can hear it from far away. They don't give enough benefit to waste so much time constantly getting your perk back when killer can instantly snuff it.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,797

No.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Just a minor correction, it takes 14 seconds to bless a Dull totem and 24 seconds to bless a hex totem. (Your point is valid, just correcting the number.)

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I think the killer should have the option to smash a boon totem. It would force survivors to use different areas for their blessings. Some areas are stronger than others and on smalls maps it could hell.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

Yes, because to Bless a totem is 14/24 totems off of gens. They're also not map-wide, and while they have strong effects, the Killer only takes a moment to cleanse. If a Killer is able to decently keep a hold on Survivor's Boons, and a Survivor is dead set on using them and getting the effects out of it, that can be a good chunk of time off a gen. (Plus, doesn't Thrill of the Hunt also increase those times?)

Idk, I just think it's a really interesting way to give Survivors more options on how they spend their time during the trial, in the form of giving a team benefit in the boons in exchange for taking time off of Generators, and knowing that their boon could be destroyed by the Killer in an instant. Stuff like that is a good way to encourage gens going slower without just nerfing gen speeds or adding another super-strong gen regression perk, which I will always see as a positive.

• Mistwolf
    Mistwolf Member Posts: 7

I like the idea of Boon perks building up a "charge" as you work on a gen, similar to Blast Mine

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544

i personally think they should work for a certain amount of time and then they have to be reactivated but if the killer destroys the boon that boon perk can't be relit

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544

or killers can relit hex perks as well

although wait infinite devour hope and haunted grounds would be broken

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Once per totem would be a nice start. If it is snuffed then you can't bless that totem again.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

one per person and killer snuffing it stops new ones on that totem and MAYBE it'd be decently fair.

There's been a total reversal of the power dynamic marketing would imply.

games dead.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I think a cooldown that increases with each consecutive bless is good enough.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Are you trying to be sarcastic with me over me replying to someone else on their idea?

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,704

give boon totems a 1 maybe 2 minute cooldown after killers snuff them.

Survivors shouldn't move their boon perks to a different totem if one is active.

• DbDCasual
    DbDCasual Member Posts: 90

Been playing a lot of Mikaela and using boons. They are powerful for sure, that 100% healing and no scatch marks/auras is crazy strong, but the downsides are pretty big too. 1) Finding a totem and 2) the blessing time.

I don't think they should be a one time use thing, however. These are the changes I'd like to see(as someone who plays both killer and survivor)

1) Killers should now have the ability to break dull totems.

2) Hex Perks should automatically respawn on a dull totem(if one is available) after 90 seconds or something.

I think this brings some balance with hex perks and makes them much more viable while also giving the killer an option of limiting the effectiveness of boon totems.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,250
    edited October 2021

Blessing a boon totem should consume that totem, so that when the killer 'snuffs' it out, it gets destroyed.

Have the blesing action itself award 1000bp just like a cleanse, and have the blessing count towards the totem counter on Small Game.

This way a Blessing is entirely consistent with a Cleanse, and Hexes are treated fairly. It places Boon perks on a similar level to Inner Healing, but for the whole team not the individual.

This limits Boon perks to 5 uses per game, because totems are, and should be, a finite resource.

If that's not strong enough for the survivors, then remove the loud notification the killer receives when a totem gets blessed. This would ensure you get at least one use out of the perk before the killer realises a Boon is in play and snuffs it out.

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

Have the totem break when it is crushed by the killer. Cant be blessed again, but survivors can reset on a new totem. Would allow killers to quickly clear out areas of importance for early and late game.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

My first thought after snuffing out a boon totem was, why doesn't the totem break? After some time thinking about it, that would be bad for perks like Plaything and NOED. You would be actively breaking your own perk.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

I feel token based is better, but on the other hand, if a survivor is spending all this time to constantly set it back up, it might be working more against them.

Just don't end chases to take it out over and over to give them that little bit of extra value

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

I mean, you're not wrong. Say killers get what they want (I'm neutral, boons can stay or change, its not an issue for me) and boon totems get nerfed to their satisfaction and likely to the point where they have really, not much appeal for the effort involved, especially if you want the pair rather than just one.

A month or so later, people will be back to the old rhetoric of "Why do survivors always bring in the same second chance perks, why don't they change the meta?!"

If you don't like the new perks, cool, I can somewhat understand. But don't pick something based off what makes you feel is 'justified' or makes you feel that its 'fair' from just your point of view. Actually, come up with something that at least leaves a survivor something to work with. Insta destroying a potential two perks would cheese either side off, so I don't know why its being proposed with any amount of seriousness. A cooldown or counter system sounds way fairer. And if you're going to suggest destroying them then I'm sorry, but the act of destroying potentially two perks at the same time, should actually take some time, not a couple of seconds.

Otherwise yes, survivors are going to go back to what they know is effective and everyone will go back to asking why the game seems stale and when are we going to nerf Dead Hard.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,335

I don't think so, that'd make them really bad.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,215

It does need some altering, although there are a variety of ways:

1. Use once per trial, and allow Boons to have the same strengths as they had during the PTB.

2. Only 1 Boon active at a time, and anyone who has a Boon power automatically has their power transfered to that Boon.

3. Keep Boons as they currently are, but should a killer stamp one out they get something in return, like everyone is Exposed for a short period of time, thereby have a strong risk/ atrong reward for them.

There mqy be others, but those would be my choices. However, as they currently stand they're far too strong and easy to set up. It's a very low risk/ high reward perk currently amd needs rebalancing.

• Marigoria

Oh so you replied to me just because you dont like me. Just goes to show how constructive your posts are.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

Survivors are hardly using them to begin with and you want them nerfed? As a Killer you should want survivors wasting their time lighting up Boon totems.

• Marigoria

"Balanced POV" for you is killer sided POV. You clearly never played survivor once in your lifetime. I never once saw you on this forums asking for a killer nerf.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Not untill you spend 14 seconds to activate them. That's 17,5% of a gen you could have been doing. Not counting travel and searching time.

Realistically you probably come close to 25% of a gen you could have done. Just to activate them. If the killer comes across them before you get value of them it was pure wasted time. You practically gave the killer a pop for free.

Not to mention they cost perk slots. If a lethal pursuer nurse is on you in less then 10 seconds and you have both boons you're running with half a build. What are your other perks?

One is probably dead hard. What is the fourth? If it isn't decisive have fun getting tunneled and never activating your boons in the first place. Pick that and you miss out on unbreakabill and you aren't blessing any totems while on the ground. If it isn't Iron Will then your lack of scratch marks becomes useless the second you get injured. Opting for any of those means you miss out on BT. Being able to heal in 8 seconds is useless if the killer smacks the other survivors 1 second after they come of the hook.

These boons are Lucky Break all over again. People only want to see the best case scenario and choose to be completly oblivious to all the cost and downsides the perks have

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

Ive gotta agree with you on that one. Killers role is quite hard for the survivors to stop (for obvious reasons) Overall, I think the boons are strong, and the 28 seconds off generators can be well, a lot.

Generator regression is on a 1/4 ratio, it takes 4 seconds of regressing to match 1 second of repairing, with max ruin, its a 1/2 ratio. If the survivor repairs a generator to lets say 75 percent, gets off, notices ruin immediatly (Lets say it was autohaven) In the time it takes for the boon to be cleansed, the survivor would have lost 14 seconds of progress, so - with the 28 seconds off, they lose 14 seconds of progress. They need to spend 14 seconds just getting back to where they were, and it boils down to quite a lot of wasted time.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,250
    edited October 2021

No you wouldn't, because your perk is already gone.

Bless = Cleanse

Any totems would be Cleansed when they're Blessed, so they're gone already. That totem is already destroyed. The survivors are just activating their localised perk by Blessing that totem, just like Inner Strength/Inner Healing.

• Tower_XVI
    Tower_XVI Member Posts: 109

I like this idea, a la Freddy snaps. It definitely shouldn't be one use, but being able to just constantly do it in a terrible war of attrition is also not great. Finding the right amount of time to add per blessing should just take a few iterations.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Yeah, but the survivor chose not to break it. Getting back to the risk reward of the perk. Without the boon perk they might not of bothered looking for it.