Please check if your issue has already been reported first!

When reporting a bug, please follow the template provided, otherwise the report will be declined. The information requested is vital to allow us to correctly reproduce and then fix what you are reporting.
We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Game Black Screening/Crashing, Then Causing PC To Blue Screen If Left Open

RickyRick
RickyRick Member Posts: 5
edited November 2021 in Bug Reporting

This is a very specific bug that will affect only a few users, but I wanted to create a short post to describe what I have found in case it might help anyone in the future. There is a fix I have found, and it's simple.

The problem:

I have a 144hz gaming monitor with built in G-Sync capability. It seems that after finishing a match as either survivor or killer, there is a small chance that the game will now crash (black screen but remain open + unreal engine crash log) upon clicking the continue button to return to the menu with your blood web etc. This problem has only started occurring for me as of the most recent update (The Hour of The Witch). I have always played with the same monitor with G-sync enabled. Once this bug occurs, it seems that no matter how many times you restart the game, reinstall, shutdown your pc, or do anything else, the game will black screen on startup but remain open. It will leave your pc with a black screen and temporary graphical glitches like your desktop splitting in two, and cause the signal to all of your monitors to cut out and come back in. If you leave the game open for about 5-6 minutes in the background without opening up your task manager and killing it, your pc will blue screen and shutdown. I noticed while opening the game with my task manager on my second monitor, that the GPU usage would Immediately shoot up to 100% usage and then go to 0%. Before the game would black screen, it would run at very low FPS on startup. It only takes about a minute to black screen, and you can barely load into the main game menu before that happens. At first, I was concerned it could be a hardware issue, but I found that I can play any other games just fine as usual.

The Fix:

After many different attempts to problem solve this issue and narrow down what I thought it could be, something occurred to me. Dead By Daylight is auto locked at 60FPS and apparently forces V-Sync too. The lagging before the crash and the GPU jumps gave me the idea to disable G-sync on my monitor. For me, this was as easy as opening my NVIDIA Control Panel and disabling the feature. It fixed the problem entirely.

Post edited by RickyRick on
1 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• RickyRick
    RickyRick Member Posts: 5

It is also worth noting that (seemingly) the more I played, the greater the chance that the crash would occur, starting the crash loop all over again. It was only a matter of time for when this would happen once more, but I could play up to 20 matches without it occurring.