Increasing the time it takes to unhook will punish ballsy saves

Judgement
Judgement Member Posts: 955
edited November 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions

It's not solely due to the change to unhooking that makes the rescued invulnerable while unhooked, but there have been quite a few more ballsy saves popping up here and there in the games I play.
Survivors that tank a hit then unhook the hooked Survivor will get both himself and the rescued off free, though both injured, if the rescuer has Dead Hard. The only scenario that a rescuing Survivor can make it out of a ballsy save with the Killer already attacking them is if they have Dead Hard, because that's how long the hit recovery time is, that gives just that tiny little window to Dead Hard and avoid the next hit. Even so, the hooked Survivor and even the rescuer can still get to go free, depending on pallet or window availability.
So why don't the devs consider increasing the time it takes to unhook a Survivor? Currently it takes... at a guess I'd say one and a half second to unhook a Survivor, while it takes the Killer two seconds to recover from the successful attack (this is guesswork). So why not increase the unhook time to 2.5 or 3 seconds?
This would heavily discourage saving right in front of the Killer's face and making 'trades' practically impossible. It'll actually make it extremely dangerous to save while the Killer is on their way to intercept.
Survivors can already instantly cancel their unhook as the animation will stop when they release the action, which made ballsy saves even more common by being able to bait the Killer into a swing - either at the rescuer or the rescuee on the hook to tank the hit while both can get away with little consequence.

Feedback or ideas?

Comments

• TheMadDoctor
    TheMadDoctor Member Posts: 250
    edited November 2018
    ....I ######### love that idea. Seriously, that would fix the issue of stupid saves, but if I may suggest, 3.5-4 seconds would be a little more significant than from 2.5 to 3.0.
    Edit:...oops misread, yeah that sounds fine 2.5 to 3.0
    Post edited by TheMadDoctor on
  • Whispers23
    Whispers23 Member Posts: 111

I don't like it cause sometimes you have to rescue in front of the killer like when you have borrowed and the gate is near. Also the killer can grab the survivor.

• Wahara
    Wahara Member Posts: 237

Yeah, sometimes a risky save is the best call to make.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    I think hook saves are good where they are. 
  • akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

this would buff camping and tunneling though... why not just wait a half a second to hit an unhooked survivor?

• Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583

@Judgement If a survivor trades their body with another, it's their business (maybe they have WGLF and accept a higher risk to die): no one cannot force the opponents to play as they like. I don't want killers are punished for camping or tunnelling (it's unfun and annoying, but everybody tries to win however they want) nor survivors are prevented from sacrificing their liberty and even life to save a mate. I dream a game where no people complain about opponents' strategies, just because the adversary cares for their own interests. What do you expect? That a killer helps a survivor or viceversa? It's not realistic nor reasonable.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

The devs did exactly the opposite.

They introduced invulnerability during unhooking, faster unhooking animations and all that stuff.

• Entità

@Master Do you think unreasonable that a character cannot be hurt when the player has no control? Let's see DarkSouls, for example: if you perry an enemy, an animation starts and your character is invulnerable until it ends.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519
    imagine disliking unhooks right in front of you
  • Master

@Entità said:
    @Master Do you think unreasonable that a character cannot be hurt when the player has no control? Let's see DarkSouls, for example: if you perry an enemy, an animation starts and your character is invulnerable until it ends.

Yes, a killer can be flashlight blinded during animation lock too even though he has no control.

• Entità

@Master That is practically the only occasion in which the blinding has a fair chance to work: it is a mechanic conceived on purpose. The killer, on the other hand, can hit the survivors from the first to the last instant of the trial: there is no reason to hit him in the exact moment when the unfortunate man is suspended between the hook and the arms of his savior.

• Master

@Entità said:
    @Master That is practically the only occasion in which the blinding has a fair chance to work: it is a mechanic conceived on purpose. The killer, on the other hand, can hit the survivors from the first to the last instant of the trial: there is no reason to hit him in the exact moment when the unfortunate man is suspended between the hook and the arms of his savior.

Well then how about freddy not beign able to do anythign while survivors unhook/do gens in front of you.

Anyway, why is the killer being punished for survivors doing misplays? Answer me that pls. If you cant play together as a team properly, then you deserve to die

• Entità
    @Master I reject the very idea that one of the two roles should be punished: I find it useless, childish. Personally I just want all the players to have fun and the game mechanics are exciting, fair and varied.

I rarely play with the Nightmare: if you believe that the transition time is too long or that the visibility of sleeping survivors' Auras is not a sufficient advantage, open a thread and suggest your corrections: who knows, maybe I'll agree with you.

• Master

@Entità said:
    @Master I reject the very idea that one of the two roles should be punished: I find it useless, childish. Personally I just want all the players to have fun and the game mechanics are exciting, fair and varied.

I rarely play with the Nightmare: if you believe that the transition time is too long or that the visibility of sleeping survivors' Auras is not a sufficient advantage, open a thread and suggest your corrections: who knows, maybe I'll agree with you.

The current situation right now:

I chase a survivor and he simply runs at the hook and pulls off an unhook.
    I hit the survivor AFTER he started moving, yet invulnerability still lasted long enough for some reason.

How is that fair? I was literally punished for a survivor misplay

• Entità
    @Master In this case, you are punished by a bug: report it. I also think I know the cause: the release time has been reduced with the last patch, probably the window of invulnerability is still calibrated on the previous time.

• Master

@Entità said:
    @Master In this case, you are punished by a bug: report it. I also think I know the cause: the release time has been reduced with the last patch, probably the window of invulnerability is still calibrated on the previous time.

Last patch?
    Last time this happened to me was literally yesterday :wink:

• TheMadDoctor
    edited November 2018

@akbays35 said:
    this would buff camping and tunneling though... why not just wait a half a second to hit an unhooked survivor?

the invincibilty frames for being unhooked are fine, plus there are times where despite being in grabbing distance, the unhooking still happened and you only hit them cause they already were pulling them off the hook, but the hooked survivor's feet hit didn't hit the ground yet. Plus, unhooking someone when injured and gettting down usually means the killer will just slug both of you. Preventing that strategy would ease one method of slugging, plus, if the killer is camping at the beginning of the game....they're really stupid.

• Entità
    @Master Pardon, 2.3.0 patch reduced the hooking, not unhooking, time. However, if the survivor moves, then the player HAS control and invulnerability should have ended. Report that issue.

• TheMadDoctor

@Entità said:
    @Master Pardon, 2.3.0 patch reduced the hooking, not unhooking, time. However, if the survivor moves, then the player HAS control and invulnerability should have ended. Report that issue.

True, that does seem broken.

• Master
    edited November 2018

@Entità said:

We reported this stuff when the patch went live and nothing happened.
    Right now I assume its an intended feature created by lazy programming

Look what I found in another thread:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/ConcernedTemperedPuffinShadyLulu

• Judgement
    Judgement Member Posts: 955

@Master said:

@Entità said:

Dear god that is beyond a joke, two ######### hits with a chainsaw and Adam still gets off scot-free.
    Unbelievable.
    And I know I made a thread wanting invulnerability while kobe-ing once before but seeing that one clip has changed my mind instantly. God damn.

• TheMadDoctor
    Judgement said:

@Master said:

@Entità said:

Dear god that is beyond a joke, two [BAD WORD] hits with a chainsaw and Adam still gets off scot-free.
    Unbelievable.
    And I know I made a thread wanting invulnerability while kobe-ing once before but seeing that one clip has changed my mind instantly. God damn.

Oh come on, how bad could it be? *sees the clip* ...ok one hit is fine but two? Nope dat is broken.