The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Idea: show to everyone how many totems are left

How would the game change if everyone in the game would be able to see how many totems are left? It doesn't have to be shown all the time, but maybe you get a notification how many totems are left when you break one. As a solo survivor its very hard to be sure that all the totems are gone, swf players have a huge advantage when it comes to countering noed. As a solo survivor you waste a lot of time searching for totems which are possibly already gone, thats the reason why i don't go for totems at all when i play solo.

This would make totems as a secondary objective more attractive and it would slow the game down, which is very good for killers. As a downside it would make noed little bit weaker.

What do you guys think about that idea?

Comments

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

No. This will only benefit survivor. Unless they will make it into a survivor perk and they will have to equip it in a perk slot Since non-swf will always be aware of how many totems have been cleansed.

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836

If they release a new survivor perk that does that in next chapter, I'm fine with it: then you have to sacrifice a perk slot for this information. But for free? Noooooo. NOED is a decent perk, though not very good (too easy to counter), an ability like this would just toss it to the trash perk pit.

I don’t see a huge problem with this.

It further reduces the major gap of Solo survivors and SWF, and besides even without getting the NOED effect, the game was slowed down and you still benefited from it.

Certainly, the last thing Behavior should do is release a perk for this. That way they can begin to let rest their title “King of Bandaids” and actually start fixing problems.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Brot said:
    How would the game change if everyone in the game would be able to see how many totems are left? It doesn't have to be shown all the time, but maybe you get a notification how many totems are left when you break one. As a solo survivor its very hard to be sure that all the totems are gone, swf players have a huge advantage when it comes to countering noed. As a solo survivor you waste a lot of time searching for totems which are possibly already gone, thats the reason why i don't go for totems at all when i play solo.

This would make totems as a secondary objective more attractive and it would slow the game down, which is very good for killers. As a downside it would make noed little bit weaker.

Sure, would be a neat idea for a survivor perk that doesnt break the game.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@ModernFable said:
    George_Soros said:

If they release a new survivor perk that does that in next chapter, I'm fine with it: then you have to sacrifice a perk slot for this information. But for free? Noooooo. NOED is a decent perk, though not very good (too easy to counter), an ability like this would just toss it to the trash perk pit.

I don’t see a huge problem with this.

It further reduces the major gap of Solo survivors and SWF, and besides even without getting the NOED effect, the game was slowed down and you still benefited from it.

Certainly, the last thing Behavior should do is release a perk for this. That way they can begin to let rest their title “King of Bandaids” and actually start fixing problems.

It doesnt do anything regarding SWF balance, but thats another story^^
    It would just be added onto the voice-comm built in perks

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243

Show the killer totem auras (diff color for hex) and # left similstr to TotH and I'm down

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,532
    Wolf74 said:

Just make a simple rule that everyone should follow: Every survivor should cleanse at least ONE (dull) totem.

Always wondered, how many totems spawn per map? I always play solo, so never keep tabs...
  • friendlykillermain
    friendlykillermain Member Posts: 3,162

@Supernaut said:
    Wolf74 said:

Just make a simple rule that everyone should follow: Every survivor should cleanse at least ONE (dull) totem.

Always wondered, how many totems spawn per map? I always play solo, so never keep tabs...

i believe its 5

• AnotherRandy
    AnotherRandy Member Posts: 274

Oh yeah, let solo survivors waste another perk slot to get informations what swf groups on voice com already have for free. Sure, you would be the best person to give the power to balance this game.. NOT
  • AnotherRandy
    edited November 2018

No. This will only benefit survivor. Unless they will make it into a survivor perk and they will have to equip it in a perk slot Since non-swf will always be aware of how many totems have been cleansed.

Let me correct you: "it will only benefit SOLO survivors" cuz swf has the information all time. And this is exactly how this game needs to be changed, this information needs to be implemented in for free to close the gap between solo and swf.
    At least a sound notification so everyone can count by himself without overloading the HUD
  • AnotherRandy
    Mister_xD said:

noed is weak enough already, you dont need to show the survivors how many more totems there are left.
    that would be just as dumb as showing them what hex affects them, as any survivor with a brain can figure that out for themselves too. but no! we can not expect survivors to actually use their brains and start counting to 5, this would be too much.

Your the only one without a brain. SWFs are already counting and telling each other how many are left. If I play swf with friends the killer has no chance to get his noed, we won't pop the last gen before we found all dull totems. 
    Solo is a different thing, there is no "beeing dumb to count" cuz there is no communication. This will just buff solos, think before talking 
  • DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    edited November 2018
    This would be pretty good actually. It gives solos information that SWF has, which means killers can get a good buff to compensate! :)
  • akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

@George_Soros said:

they should just tie it in with Small Game, I wouldn't mind seeing how many hag/trapper traps are put down too lul.

• AnotherRandy
    NeonAlien said:
    I play mostly survivor and I don't want this.for the same reason I don't want built-in kindred. I really don't want to have too much Information at all times, for free. I like suspense and having to guess, trying to make the best of a situation and making difficult decisions. I also love the times when my Team plays well coordinated, even though one does not always know what the others are going for. It feels so rewarding when you did all that by your self. So having a counter for Totems would be too convenient to me. 
    That's an opinion and I accept that. But you need to keep in mind that we're trying to balance this game so every part feels good. Playing casually is alright, but balancing around casuals is what makes games frustrating in a competitive way 
  • AnotherRandy
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

noed is weak enough already, you dont need to show the survivors how many more totems there are left.
    that would be just as dumb as showing them what hex affects them, as any survivor with a brain can figure that out for themselves too. but no! we can not expect survivors to actually use their brains and start counting to 5, this would be too much.

Your the only one without a brain. SWFs are already counting and telling each other how many are left. If I play swf with friends the killer has no chance to get his noed, we won't pop the last gen before we found all dull totems. 
    Solo is a different thing, there is no "beeing dumb to count" cuz there is no communication. This will just buff solos, think before talking 
    Please stop insulting yourself. That's embarrassing. 

NOED is already weak, this would be a buff to solos and SWF. Since they wouldn't require even basic math.
    Solos can count destroyed totems. 

Why do you want a even easier and brainless game? Right now you don't even have to pay attention while playing. 
    You must be really deluded if you really think that any swf group doesn't count and tell each other how many totems are destroyed. 
    Back in the days when i didn't own a mic we even took our time to type in steam chat if we destroyed a dull totem. You really think any swf with mic won't tell each other? You must be really naive to believe that. 
    Also, this isn't a direct buff just because "brainless" people don't count. We don't balance around casuals, we balance around the best players 
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

NOED is already weak, this would be a buff to solos and SWF. Since they wouldn't require even basic math.

Why do you want a even easier and brainless game? Right now you don't even have to pay attention while playing. 
    They can add more dull totems to waste more time to conpensate for the totem counter for both sides @Tsulan and again, stop shutting down ideas. At least give this idea a chance and suggest compensations to see if this idea can work. Currently playing solo survivor is so boring and adding a totem counter can encourage survivors to hunt for totems and waste more time.
  • Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@friendlykillermain said:

@Supernaut said:
    Wolf74 said:

i believe its 5

We got a smart one.^^

So option 1. there is a Hex perk involved, most likely Ruin and you cleanse that one anyway. Or option 2. everybody cleanse AT LEAST 1 dull totem, chances are pretty high that someone does 2.

But yea, that tactic won't ever work, because it is 5, so you are totally right. ;) [/s]

• AnotherRandy
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

You must be really deluded if you really think that any swf group doesn't count and tell each other how many totems are destroyed. 
    Back in the days when i didn't own a mic we even took our time to type in steam chat if we destroyed a dull totem. You really think any swf with mic won't tell each other? You must be really naive to believe that. 
    Also, this isn't a direct buff just because "brainless" people don't count. We don't balance around casuals, we balance around the best. And the best will ALWAYS communicate every single detail, pallets used/destroyed, dead zones and especially totems. 
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

Also, this isn't a direct buff just because "brainless" people don't count. We don't balance around casuals, we balance around the best. And the best will ALWAYS communicate every single detail, pallets used/destroyed, dead zones and especially totems. 
    So apart from your personal attacks, the only point you made was that the devs balance around high ranks. I wish they did. But they balance around rank 20-15.
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Nickenzie said:
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

They can add more dull totems to waste more time to conpensate for the totem counter for both sides @Tsulan and again, stop shutting down ideas. At least give this idea a chance and suggest compensations to see if this idea can work. Currently playing solo survivor is so boring and adding a totem counter can encourage survivors to hunt for totems and waste more time.
    Do you really wonder why I'm shutting this idea down? With the way OP attacks everyone?

I'm all in for a game with less indicators. Not what we have right now, where we get a warning of UP even before we hear the heartbeat. 

I also don't think that more totems would do the trick.
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Tsulan said:
    Nickenzie said:
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

Do you really wonder why I'm shutting this idea down? With the way OP attacks everyone?

I'm all in for a game with less indicators. Not what we have right now, where we get a warning of UP even before we hear the heartbeat. 

I also don't think that more totems would do the trick.
    I'm focusing on the idea, not the OP and if the OP is attacking you --just ignore him/her-- a mod will take care of it. Shutting down a idea because you and the OP have a conflict sounds a bit silly. Anyways, back on topic, I feel like a totem counter will encourage survivors to waste time searching for totems instead of working on generators since they always will be paranoid of NOED. If NOED gets destroyed by this then it can be reworked to repair a totem and then activate.
  • AnotherRandy
    Tsulan said:
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

So apart from your personal attacks, the only point you made was that the devs balance around high ranks. I wish they did. But they balance around rank 20-15.
    I never said that the devs are doing it currently, I say that this is how balancing should be done.
  • AnotherRandy
    Tsulan said:
    Tsulan said:
    Mister_xD said:

I never said that the devs are doing it currently, I say that this is how balancing should be done.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

If it was solo q only style and not always on that'd be a good way to do it so it starts out at 5 showing as match starts. Then once one is cleansed it shows 4 for a few seconds then disappears or something like that. To make it fair to the killers you could have a small popup for killers as well although that might be a little broken.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    NO
  • crabby247
    crabby247 Member Posts: 58

I say no. I'm a solo survivor. I like the suspense of not knowing if the killer has noed and if all totems are cleansed. I always assume the killer has noed so I cleanse every totem I see. If I see one while being chased I will go back for it. Most games I do 3 and yet noed pops up at the end and someone gets downed. Like really guys? You couldn't do 2 totems between the 3 of you?! Totems are not hard to find or cleanse but many survivors ignore them. But when I see one of my teammates cleanse one it warms my heart. Haha

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

The game is too hard as a solo survivor can we somehow implement all perks baseline into anyone playing solo survivor? I would also like to see the solo survivor be notified of all actions taken on the map by other survivors. I think this would be a great way to have solo survivor players on par with SWF and I think it would really increase the enjoyment Killers get while playing the game too.

• Damarus
    Damarus Member Posts: 600

I had proposed the exact same thing, but you won't find much space for that, in a killer centric community. Killer mains keep saying survivors need to get nerfed and have more things to do, so them killers can always have a cheesy game, but will disagree with anything that would make survivors do something other than gens LOL Besides, the reasoning I see many doing here, @AnotherRandy especially, was the same I did. It is something a SWF group will always do, communicating about totems, especially now that NOED became the biggest no-skill perk in the entire game (and for those who will argue about that, NOED is an end-game perk, for those who were not able to kill survivors before they could finish gens). I always tell the friend I play with, when we play together, how many totems I've done. If devs confirmed they want to buff solo survivors to the point where they can know things a SWF group would know, because of communication, knowing how many totems are still up/have been destroyed seems to be only a matter of time.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

@Brot said:

SWF would not need to tell others about the totems, but solo survivors NEED this

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

I would be okay with this honestly. It is information that a SWF team would have so it makes sense for solo players to have that information too. Plus it would give players incentive to break totems which slows the game down.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

@crabby247 said:
    I say no. I'm a solo survivor. I like the suspense of not knowing if the killer has noed and if all totems are cleansed. I always assume the killer has noed so I cleanse every totem I see. If I see one while being chased I will go back for it. Most games I do 3 and yet noed pops up at the end and someone gets downed. Like really guys? You couldn't do 2 totems between the 3 of you?! Totems are not hard to find or cleanse but many survivors ignore them. But when I see one of my teammates cleanse one it warms my heart. Haha

Sounds like you should be supporting this idea. If the other survivors knew that you cleansed 3 totems and they run across one then they would be more inclined to break the totem.

• AnotherRandy
    edited November 2018
    crabby247 said:

Well then, don't cry later if the game's balanced around swf and solo survivors get stomped to the ground ez. Trust, you wont have fun playing solo anymore. Swf is still strong and I'm pretty sure that nerfs will still be needed, but if devs keeps every nerf hitting survicors in global equal (solo and swf same), solo will be dead in competitive plays and absolute unfun 
  • KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747
    No, the survivors already get too much when it comes to totems. They shouldn't get any notifications if they are impacted by one. 
  • crabby247
    crabby247 Member Posts: 58

AnotherRandy said:

Well then, don't cry later if the game's balanced around swf and solo survivors get stomped to the ground ez. Trust, you wont have fun playing solo anymore. Swf is still strong and I'm pretty sure that nerfs will still be needed, but if devs keeps every nerf hitting survicors in global equal (solo and swf same), solo will be dead in competitive plays and absolute unfun 

I won't be crying later. When they make changes I adapt. I LOVE this game. I still have a ton of fun and laughs even playing solo.

• Radiant
    Radiant Member Posts: 187
    They are just 5 totems, no need to do that even for solos.
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Radiant said:
    Unless you have haunted grounds, then there are 7. Knowing how many totems there are would reveal that instantly. 
    And that can screw up a totem build.
  • Radiant
    Radiant Member Posts: 187
    Spirit = I ignore totems = nub surv runs happily to do totems
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    edited November 2018
    Radiant said:
    Spirit = I ignore totems = nub surv runs happily to do totems
    What about a huntress with haunted grounds, devour hope, and noed?
    Or ruin?
  • AnotherRandy
    edited November 2018
    crabby247 said:

AnotherRandy said:

I won't be crying later. When they make changes I adapt. I LOVE this game. I still have a ton of fun and laughs even playing solo.

You will regret that. Sad, that so many people can't look forward multiple steps but only see what's currently infront of them.
    Currently, solo is okay-ish but swf strong af. If devs keep doing global survivor nerfs and the nerfing is hitting solos and swfs equal (in reality its hitting solos slightly more everytime, but let's just assume it's equal now) till to the point when swf is balanced so the average would be 2 escapes, what can you imagine what the escape rate in solo queue is? 0 escapes. It has to be that. It's pur logic. If you still think you "just adapt" then your delusional mate and I can't help you, I can't deal with illogical people. 

And in case you mean with "just adapt" that you don't care if you die or escape and just want to keep playing this game casually, in this case why are you discussion here in about balancing dbd for competitive playing? If you don't care about balance in high ranks then you shouldn't comment here tbh.
    Your trapped mate, I locked the corners. No way to escape with an excuse this time.
  • Asssthetic
    Asssthetic Member Posts: 203

just buff small game to have that info

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited November 2018

@George_Soros said:

So SWF Squads can keep their advantage for free, but solo's have to pay a perk slot for it??

Edit: I think the best solution is to implement this and have it display at all times on the HUD, but it would only be visible on the HUD for Survivors whom did not join the lobby though Survive With Friends!

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Nos37 said:

@George_Soros said:l

So SWF Squads can keep their advantage for free, but solo's have to pay a perk slot for it??

Edit: I think the best solution is to implement this and have it display at all times on the HUD, but it would only be visible on the HUD for Survivors whom did not join the lobby though Survive With Friends!

How about this then: a perk that shows how many totems have been cleansed, but a new killer perk that increases number of totems by, say, 1/2/3, possibly with some additional effect?
    Just bouncing ideas, not sure it would work. But I'm positive that there's no perfect way to limit the advantage of SWF while not nerfing soloes to the ground. Some steps can be (should be) done, but there will always be a big difference.
  • Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited November 2018

Don't forget the big picture, or grand scheme: buff solo Survivors by bridging the information gap between them and SWF + voice; then re-balance Killers accordingly.

If NOED gets hurt by this, then the devs have several options to re-balance it after:

• Buff the perk itself, including:

• NOED reassembles a cleansed/destroyed totem to act as the new anchor for NOED
      • NOED is no longer a hex perk
    • Change the way hex totems work

Post edited by Nos37 on
  • AnotherRandy
    Nos37 said:

@George_Soros said:

Yeah, people just don't get it 
  • alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

@Radiant said:

but if your in solos, how would you know if all 5 totems are cleansed