The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Add Proximity Terror Effects - Universal to all Killers

Cropsy
Cropsy Member Posts: 15
edited December 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I had this thought come up in another thread about how to address body blocking. The killer side of the game has long moved away from being sacrifice focused. At launch, the game was killers kill, survivors survive.

Now, if you're playing any skilled survivor, or SWF, it's killers get clowned, survivors clown, teabag, and survive.

The core problem for the gameplay of killer is that they're not scary, intimidating, or threatening to these survivors. Universal terror effects could help with that. If the game isn't sacrifice focused anymore, it needs to pick what it is for killers and maybe that's devious focused through proximity terror effects, and BP that goes along with these effects to reflect that sacrifices are not the priority.

The thought I had around body blocking is that survivors could become exposed if they are extremely close to the killer for too long. They run away--exposed drops. But while they're right next to the killer hanging out--exposed. No more group hugging the killer safely like survivors are the real power force in the game. Easy fix that addresses body blocking and brings back the threat to the killer.

On reddit, I saw someone share the idea that if the killer goes into the exit zone, the entity doesn't just block off the escape from killers, but from survivors as well. They have to run back out past the gate, escape the killer, find the hatch, or get to the other exit. Keeps the tension and pace going. Cuts down on teabagging on survivor's way out. Most importantly, it brings back the threat of killers in that area.

I'd be curious to hear ideas others could think of, or maybe BHVR could do their job and put some thought into it themselves. Core changes BHVR! Make CORE changes! Not perks. Not abilities.

Post edited by Cropsy on

Comments

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    edited December 2021

The Entity Block also affecting Survivors while The Killer is in the Exit Gate would certainly be an interesting mechanic for sure.

And reworking Bloodlust could be interesting. There's all this talk about how Just Injuring Survivors isn't worth it anymore, so maybe something could be Workshopped.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously though, once you have the basic controls of the game down, survivors have zero respect for the killer because the game is built in such a way that it is SUPPOSED to protect them from get auto-downed. But, with any degree of team coordination, you turn those defensive abilities into offensive ones. And suddenly, the "hide and run" role becomes the "intervene and attack" one. It completely ruins the atmosphere of the whole thing.

And the Exit Gates thing would be great. I despise having to go to both exit gates to get survivors to just leave the game. It's like: okay, you all got out. Great. Now leave, collect your points, and move on. But no! It's CRITICAL that I walk over to see them teabagging and Dead Harding through the exit. If you're sticking around, there needs to be some REAL danger. Some sort of punishment for all the hubris.

• Torsti56
    Torsti56 Member Posts: 259

Sure, I'll go play as a Twins and take Charlotte to first gate and Victor to other gate making entity to block them both. This is why people should think first before starting to throw "gameplay changes" because let's be honest, 70% of them are simply just bad. There is some good suggestions but majority of them are straight out bad.

• Cropsy
    Cropsy Member Posts: 15

Speaking of thinking first, it's an idea. Not a set in stone change. That kind of simplistic black and white thinking in which there's no imagination for how to deal with exceptions doesn't really add anything here. Program it with an exception so the twins both have to be there. *Yawn*

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904
    edited December 2021

I'd like to see more terror effects.

There should be a greater cost to being injured making in actually threatening, I mean many games you don't even bother to heal up just smash out the next gen while injured.

I reckon some kind of trip mechanic, RNG score on rushed actions that may make you fall as survivor thus adding risk to even really safe loops. Create some horror movie-esque falls that could lead to your death.

Mindgames have become largely irrelivant, most loops are either too short to be mindgamed around or people have tools to avoid it stretch res etc that often makes what is meant to be a big part of the game really just non-impactful time wasting. More blind spots and dead zones would fix this.

Supression of killer TR at game start maybe every game begins stealthy and scary. (I know this could stifle some killers powers)

I feel like th egame has degenerated into a loopy chase party game rather than a survival horror which I've said before makes me not play it as much.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

You cant just swtich from one to the other when near à hook or an exitgate opener

Of you bounce with Victor the entity will probably unlock/youll get à pass after crushing him down

Play Victor and the 4 survivors will be near this gate, as soon as you fail à jump or go to Charlotte, they can crush and escape

Really i dont see the problem