Killer mains, how do you deal with circle of healing?

Oiry
Oiry Member Posts: 218

So I was trying to learn Oni today. The main idea was to hit people, let them go and get my power consistently, and then basically only try to down people with my power to train it. In almost every game there are boons, sometimes multiple. I was trying to snuff them, but on stacked maps like Midwich this becomes impossible and they just rebless it anyways...

So how do you guys deal with them?

I can't tunnel out the person with the boon, because, firstly, sometimes I don't know who has the boon in the first place and, secondly, In a decent amount of games there are multiple of them.

The other option is to just generally always go after the injured survivor, which is kinda stressful to do and no one really enjoys it. Any tips from veteran killers? (Except for playing Plague every game :D)

Comments

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    edited January 2022

I commit to every chase....as Oni its a bit more difficult because you want to go after multiple but at same time there just wayyyyy to many heal/anti slugging perks right now.

I been running we'll make it with desperate and had a gm where we were in boon range when unhooking and with the 3 of them the heal was a few seconds at most. Scariest part there is still botany/med kit to speed up even more.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

Best to use up all resources near the totem and keep putting it out. Eventually, they will make a mistake.

• Oiry

I suppose you are suggesting protecting the totem spawn, however, there are usually multiple totems they use. Also, it feels inefficient to do so, since then I usually don't protect enough gens at the same time.

I am not really saying I can't win against the perk. I'm saying it creates this feeling of "hits I do don't matter because they heal up quickly an infinite amount of times" "Snuffs I do don't matter because they re-bless an infinite amount of times". A bit like a loose-loose situation

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294

Plague is good way. Exposed killers, top tier killer that can commit to any chase like Nurse, Blight.

• Oiry

I am probably going to regret saying this, but currently, I feel like I would legit agree to make Unbreakable basekit (at least the pick yourself up once part without the recovery speed) if I didn't have to see CoH in my games

• Oiry

When I do play Nurse it feels okay, because the amount of pressure I can apply actually can outscale the power of the boon (in case I don't make mistakes)

Honestly, the main reason I like the Nurse is that in 90%+ of the games if I lose it's easy for me to see, that it was my fault, and where did I make those mistakes.

But I wanted to kinda switch towards Oni and Spirit (currently terrible with both of them)

• Oiry
    edited January 2022

I completely agree. I just feel like CoH is way more annoying. Like, every time I hear the stupid boon sound my blood pressure skyrockets. I may just literally facecamp in every boon game, but that would mean every single game and, not gonna lie, it'd be too boring for me :(

Edit: Also Oni and Twins are already fcked by the boons, too.. :(

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804
    edited January 2022

I switch to survivor main. But all joking aside, sometimes I'll leave it up knowing good and well injured survivors will run to that exact spot.

• Oiry
    edited January 2022

Probably best advice, to be honest. I've actually reached iri 1 yesterday for the first time in my life... Playing SoloQ is a bit annoying sometimes, especially against killers that need a lot of teamplay (like Plague, or Hag), but fun.

But yeah... I may try to play Spirit. I've played a few hours of Oni today and I just do not feel like this is something I am ready to subject myself for days/weeks.

Let's be honest, it's going to take the devs months to nerf boons, and that is IF they decide to nerf them and not Amanda

Edit: Also on maps like Midwich, for example, it's really hard to use the info that they heal inside the boon, because it could be multiple floors + even finding the position is not always simple (because they use different spots).

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451
    edited January 2022

Honestly the boon perks don't bother me. I just ignore them and only snuff if I happen to walk by if I'm not doing anything else.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I'm not playing too differently since I already assumed that if I let someone go they'll have a chance to heal even before Circle of Healing. It just makes me that much less inclined to switch targets off an injured survivor if I think I have a decent chance of downing them in a reasonable timeframe. As far as the Boons go I'll snuff them between chases when I hear them, a few seconds of me snuffing a Boon means they have to spend at least 14 seconds plus travel time to reset it so it's still a net gain for me.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530

tbf as an Oni main. I really don't get affected that much, i mean is even better I won't have to go thought E gamers and if i know where the boon is free guaranted blood. Only issue is slugging, since they will pick up more faster.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

I only play strong killers

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

It depends on the killer.

For Oni, it's not particularly impactful. The strat has always been to commit to the first chase to collect orbs, or to rotate for a hit on a fresh survivor.

Oni is a snowball killer. You snowball with an instadown. Coh doesn't save you from that.

M1 killers are much more affected. Someone like Freddy, for example.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

This is the best advice of the whole thread. Don't get discouraged if you hear the boon sound at the beginning of the game, and don't go out of your way specifically for the boon, unless certain scenarios require it or if the amount of pressure you have is enough

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Depends, if its on the outskirts of the map or in an area where there are no gens to fix I dont care, it takes them more time to reach the place, heal themselves and go back to the gen area than to get a heal from a teammate, if its on the center of the map or near unfinished gens Ill snuff it out.

For cooperative healing, healing a teammate is 16 seconds, healing a teammate in CoH is 8, if reaching the area takes you both more than 4 seconds is a net loss because 5 to reach, 8 to heal and 5 to go back equals 18 seconds, 2 more than a regular healing.

For self healing a medkit is 16 seconds, self care is 32, in CoH is 16, if reaching CoH and then going back to a gen takes you more than 32 seconds is another net loss, this isnt exactly the same because CoH allows to self-care for the entire team so its not as easy to judge if its worthwile to snuff it out or leave it, depends on your strategy, how they are playing etc, I dont think there is a perfect answer for this and you have to feel the flow of the trial and the Survivors you are facing.

Overall snuffing Totems is a good idea because rebooning takes a lot of time and you can always catch the guy red handed and interrupt it so theyll have to start from scratch but if the totem is far away from gens is not a priority.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Big ol Oni main here:

Especially in times like this you WANT to go on the first injured survivor, force him to vault or drop pallets so they drop extra blood orbs. Then you know the drill once you have the power, go for some slugs and snowball around.

Also big tip that MANY onis dont even know about, survivors actually dont drop blood orbs when you are in your power. Ppl think they are just invisible, which is just partually true. Only existing blood orbs go invisible, but injured survivors dont drop any new ones aswell.

So if you have 2 or more injured survivors and you even have your power rdy, dont use the blood fury then and let them drop some blood around the map, once you see there is enough blood around then you go again back into blood fury. This is a essential tool for Onis to manage the blood, many ppl underestimate that and lose their games because they dont have any blood left and are back to M1 only so learn and try to adjust your blood orb management, its very important.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,938
    edited January 2022

Well, as a Spirit Main I commit to chases.... TILL.... THEY'RE..... DEAD.

Rinse and repeat. My Fury of Spirits won't let them get away that easily.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

I quit lol

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

I played a match against a SWF as Pig today: Badham map offering, one survivor bringing a map to locate totems, one running OOO, and multiple survivors setting up multiple boons around the map (and they were trying to Sabo as well).

I still got the 4K, with one gen left (Scorgue Hook: Pain Resonance MVP!). I handled the Boons the way I usually do. I rarely use Hit & Run strategies anymore if Boons are in play, and I only break them if I have nothing better to do (as in, take on a new chase, check on a gen, etc.). I will abandon chase if it makes sense to do so, but I'm more likely to stay on a survivor who's injured longer than I might have used to.

Ironically, when I had two dead in the above-mentioned match, and the 3rd survivor hooked, I found the last survivor blessing a Plaything totem in the basement of the school (I could hear them working on Bones as I was above them). They were too focused on re-Booning the totem rather than going to get the save, which shows that, as OP as COH can be, sometimes it can be used to the killer's advantage.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,243

It's not quite as s bad as people think. It's a time sink for survivors to light the totems. Snuff them as you come across them. Don't try to play hit and run for the sake of playing hit and run unless you're going for a soft tunnel. You'll be ok if you're being efficient in chase and snuffing out the totems as you come across them.

I can't recall too many games that I didn't win when totems went up repeatedly unless I simply played terribly.

For Oni specifically, it's much better to follow and farm blood off of the first person you hit. You can never guarantee a hit on the next player if you choose to cycle off. Can't account for everyone's chase ability at the beginning of the game. If you have someone injured, take the time to fill your meter.

• Oiry

I'm not gonna lie, your 2 sentences made me want to play Rin more. I've always had a sweet spot for her, but so far I don't feel competent enough with her. Maybe I'll try train more and repeat your strats

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited January 2022

Forget about spreading damage. Once you injure a survivor, don't stop until he's down (obviously without overdoing it, if they are a good looper). Also try to snuff it every time the occasion presents itself. That way you make sure someone will have to spend time to bless it again instead of doing gens.

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148

I run legion with a cooldown addon and the broken addon on top of thanat, I'm set.

• Oiry

I have a feeling Legion is almost like Plague with CoH :D

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I stopped playing before boons were introduced. Haven't had to deal with CoH yet :P

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

As Oni you want to farm blood from your first survivor and then either down them or go for a chase with a healthy survivor using Blood Fury. COH doesn't impact him as much as other killers honestly.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

I liked playing Plague before COH, and I love her even more now. I've literally had people DC seconds into a game and looked afterwards to see they were running COH and rage quit the minute they saw a fountain. 🤣

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,938

Her chase music really boils my blood, I get a rush as soon as it starts and then I go on killing spree.

When I play her I am constantly in chase, till the last one is downed.

I probably did around 40 Spirit matches already since I changed from a PH Main to a Spirit Main (4 or 5 days ago) and lost 3, with all of the losses being a Brutal Killer result.

Just did my last match on the Game, I was more focused than ever.

I also don't run slowdown usually, Corrupt is an exception if I feel like it. But my Main Build is M&A, BBQ, Whispers, Brutal or Agitation.

I mostly play without Add-ons but if I do I love to use White Hair Ribbon with Muddy Sports Day cap.

Last sentence, just try her. Use your ears and predictions to hunt your prey. Can't describe how I do it with Spirit, I use my focus and instinct, but it's so much fun and rewarding.

• BlighTown
    BlighTown Member Posts: 153

Hex: Undying & Hex: Thrill of the Hunt to see survivors blessing Dull totems.

or

Hex: Plaything to force them blessing Hex totems.

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

i play gimmick starstruck builds with undetectability so people get instant downed when they try to body block for their friends or I tunnel people out of the game. either way works :)

• JimboMason
    JimboMason Member Posts: 759

Hit n run until I find the weakest survivor, apply pressure to gens, snuff out totem if I have the time, and keep survs away from totems. I actually haven't had any real negative experiences with the perk luckily, but I can say that it is pretty nutty.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I’ve been trying to learn Billy.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022
    edited January 2022

Tunneling is usually my go to. CoH promotes that as it is, since any chase you split off and attempt to apply pressure elsewhere will be negated. Especially on the smaller/multi leveled maps.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

No, we just camp, tunnel and run instadown stuff that isn't much fun to go against. Or just stop playing.

Yeah, that's my answer.

I don't camp, outside of EOGC, but I'll tunnel like a demon if I hear a boon go up.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,384

Stopped playing killer.

Boons just have no real counterplay to them and CoH is broken. It's just not any fun to deal with so I just stopped playing killer. I would like to play more killer, but it's become evident that BHVR doesn't care about the killer role having fun so I can't imagine I'll be playing much killer.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033
    edited January 2022

I play on top of their boon totem. I take spies from the shadows to track them even through shadow step and then I play in their boon area. Most survivors aren't playing a 4 second heal build. They're playing dead hard, iron will, decisive and COH or unbreakable or something like that.

So it's real simple, wait for them to boon a totem, then go set up shop right in their face. Then apply pressure. Chase and down one survivor, break as many pallets in the area as possible while doing so, then I hook them in the area. I intercept people coming for saves, I hit people off of gens in the area, I do everything I can to either down them or pressure them to the point where they have no choice but to leave the area.

You thought this was your blessed area? Nah nah nah. This my area, you don't get to come to my area. They want to try and move it? I'll move it too.

Most survivors are used to killers playing outside of the boon area, then they take a hit and run back to the area to heal. But they can't do anything if you don't give them the chance to heal.

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638

By switching to survivor

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237

If I hear a boon go up, I immediately assume its COH and begin to tunnel and camp every hook to apply pressure since the survivors clearly have banned me from winning the game with 12 hooks anymore.

If I down a survivor close to it, I'll break it, but other than that you have to ignore it, or you lose the game. Well, you lose either way unless you tunnel/camp.

• Kazim
    Kazim Member Posts: 229

You can use Hex: plaything, so that the survivors have to break the totems and Sloppy Butcher so that they waste time healing, and Thanatophobia so that they give priority to find totems and heal themselves, you have to make your game around the survivors wasting time trying to purify totems, remember that purifying takes a lot of time so play with that mentality in your favor.