Why do not more people play / learn Nurse?

We had this topic about some other killers, but with the newest data about kill rates, there she is, Sally right at the bottom of the list as the ''worst killer'', again, even after being in this game from almost the very start.

When I started playing DBD I was intimated by her power sure, but I have been pretty much maining her for the last couple of months and it's honestly been a blast. Her power is just so fun to use, and she can benefit from any type of build. These days I am just running wall-hacking nurse (bbq, I am all ears, nurses and lethal) but you have the insta down starstruck build, the obvious slow down boring build and then everything in between, and yeah when mastered she is the best killer in the game, which is why I am surprised that people are not learning her more in this current state of the game lol. I actually reached rank 1 as a killer for the first time when I got better with her which actually made me motivated to play more killer side overall.

Dead Hard is a problem for sure, but once the survivor uses it, then what ? You are still a nurse and pallets and windows mean nothing.

COH can also work against you as every other killer and it cost me a lot of matches for sure, but I would say it was my mistake since I did not commit to chases, since in most cases, when you get better you end chases way too quickly for it to matter anyway and everyone just starts dying.

On the flip side, and the reason why I started this thread, even as a rank 1 survivor who often plays with my friends who also have thousands of hours in the game we mostly face Blight, like I mentioned in one of my posts, one day it was 8 Blights, 3-4 in a row.

Dying to a tinkerer ruin undying pop blight honestly feels like a chore I have to go trough once a day at this point (do not get me wrong I love Blight, he is super fun to play and go against, but I honestly had enough lol).

And I honestly do not think Nurse is that hard to learn, it takes you some time to get the muscle memory down but after that it becomes easier. Are people that lazy to learn or just can't handle the constant losing at first? I mean yeah it sucks when you start to learn and can't land a blink to save your life, but everyone knows how strong you can become after practicing, and most importantly it's just fun, you are not bound to pallets stairs window, you are playing your own game and Survivors mostly can't do anything about it lol

Comments

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

And even once you get good with her, you will end up disproportionately matched against survivors that can literally listen to her power charge and gauge how far you're going to blink, allowing them to double back and change angles behind LOS with ease.

You can fight entire squads like this, where you can't even get a hit, and when you finally have them trapped they DH.

It's a learning curve and a woof and a half.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Not my cup of tea. While I do find her more fun to play as compared to blight or spirit. I don't find her more fun than the ranged killers. So yeah even though the killers I like are not top tier, I do enjoy playing the other killers even if they are weak. I just don't find her fun enough to play and learn her.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

+1 on the "feedback" you get for playing a baby nurse. playing killer is already rough enough and currently I feel like more and more survivors behave like that.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I honestly find the fatigue mechanic obnoxious even when playing nurse well so I have no interest in learning the character.

• GamerEzra
    GamerEzra Member Posts: 941

Because if you're new to the game and start playing killer you will have a hard time. If you start with nurse this will be even worse.

Even for decent killers learning nurse is hard and most people don't want to get toxic survivors making fun of you for 50 matches in a row.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,207

This is an underrated aspect. Nurse absolutely has counterplay, but only super high level survivors tend to know it. So she's a killer where you sort of don't know what you don't know until you play against those survivors, and then it's like you're lost and learning her all over again. There's layers of frustration that go with mastering her.

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960

Cause it proves killer variety is dead and not everyone wants to play nurse or blight.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Nurse is one of my mains, but I learned her back in 2018 where basically only Nurse and Billy were viable (I think Spirit came out in late 2018) and I was never a huge fan of Billy.

Back in the day learning Nurse was a challenge for those who wanted to win consistently and all the time, but now we have other stronger killers (Spirit, Oni, Blight, Executioner, Artist, Plague, etc) that you can get good with and net almost as good results with less effort. The only reason to play Nurse nowadays is if you really like her power, which I do, but the amount of bugs (yes, even after the recoding in this patch) and the double cooldown thing can severely hinder how fun she is.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

Clunky to play, riddled with bugs, and im still missing the nurse from 2018 who was actually fun.

There's way more fun killers who are almost as strong to play now.

You also have to main her to really play her well. A casual match of nurse here and there doesn't really work. As opposed to say Blight where I will feel the rust but it's not crippling like it is on her.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,288

The screen darkening and loss of control of the camera during her fatigue makes me nauseous.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Yea... she is the hardest Killer to learn

And rightly so.... but other players are complaining about seeing nothing but Nurse, Blight, Huntress (and maybe a few others)

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,485

I imagine for people who play on console using nurse is a nightmare and a big reason no one plays her

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

Because she’s hyper difficult, and not everyone enjoys her playstyle.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Because I am console peasant.

• BlueRose
    BlueRose Member Posts: 658

I play her once in a while but every time I do I get stomped by survivors. Match after the match I will get on avg one to two hooks and tbh it's not really fun or worth the effort when I can play any other killer and have an easier time. Also, her blinking and fatigue messes with my me and make me disoriented. She is a powerful killer no doubt about that, she is just really really hard to learn and at the end of the day, you can play an easier killer and get easier kills.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955
    1. the game is in a very unforgiving state, small mistake can cost you the game
    2. constant toxicity, to this community playing poorly makes you subhuman even if you're the opponent
    3. no way to practice outside of playing matches
  • GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

She may be hard to master but it’s inevitable that you’ll win every game as her if you do get good with her. I don’t think she’s healthy for the game right now because of how unbalanced she is.

• xMain
    xMain Member Posts: 16

Just played a game as Nurse with no hooks till 1 gen, every survivor with dead hard and constant clicky clicky. Playing Nurse is a chore to learn and play at all. She's just very rage inducing and there's no way to get good at her without your rank taking the plunge. Dead hard alone gives you an extra health state against Nurse so even if you are good you have to deal with it. THATS why no one plays Nurse.

• SuzuKR

Gonna just call out this falsehood right now. She is balanced at high levels of play. Furthermore, literally no one plays perfectly ever. There is always counterplay. If what you said was true, extremely good Nurse players wouldn’t average out to just ~2K against also extremely good survivors who are largely handicapped. With zero handicaps on either side, her average drops even lower.

• GannTM

Truthfully, you don’t even need to play Nurse perfectly, you just need to play her well and you just can’t lose. I don’t care if she takes a long time to master, no killer should be able to win every game when mastered.

• SuzuKR

Sorry, but what you are saying is objectively false. The best Nurses against the best survivors averages out to ~2K when the survivors have a large number of handicaps and the Nurse has only very few handicaps. With zero restrictions on either side, her average drops even lower into the survivor’s favor. No killer can win every game when mastered against actually equally skilled opponents. The only issue here is MMR struggles to find matches for either side at that high of level of skill. There are very very few people that play at that level, so the option is either probably even matches that take hour long queues, or uneven matches so the queue goes quicker.

• dannyfrog87
    dannyfrog87 Member Posts: 568
    edited January 2022

because they butchered her nerfed her into the ground made her power on a cooldown and she gets stuck on most things as she cant blink through them rendering her useless why would anyone want to learn a killer that is so painful mind numbingly annoying you literally have to walk around with her while her power recharges is exactly why. nothing else or much to say really lol. not to mention frustrating as a shell of her former self no longer viable

• CyberDragoon656

I wouldn't call blight "more strong killers " though.

• CyberDragoon656

Is that why everyone but nurse and blight should suck now then?

• CyberDragoon656

I don't think thats just nurse I think that's more survivor is way to easy now.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

That means youre probably a really bad killer player if it took you that much games to even get one kill done.

• GannTM

Oh please don’t go there. You’re forgetting about Artist, Twins, Bubba, Pyramid Head, Huntress, and a few others. Are they not good killers?

• OpenX

Artist, PHead, Nemesis, etc are all pretty much the same killer and they suffer from the exact same problem: no mobility.

All it takes is a few god pallets and maybe some strong windows and you can shift+W away from them for like 40+ seconds without even looping and that's probably enough to get 3 gens done unless you have corrupt / deadlock.

15-20 seconds to find the first chase, 40 seconds of W + predropping to actually get up to them, then like 20 seconds to actually down and hook them and that's really it to be game-losing.

• OpenX

Oh and Twins are gutted since CoH. No slugging sprees when the survivors can heal in 10 seconds.

• CyberDragoon656
    edited January 2022

Artist idk twins are buggy, leatherface is only strong in certain instances, PH is clunky, Huntress much like clown have awkward arcs , the maps have to much debris which clips the axes and her lullaby leads to people knowing where you are before even getting close, oni also has issues with debris along with being slow at the start, spirit now has too many audio queues now along with being slow. Along with no real options to fix the mobility issues as well.

so no while it can equal balance in a normal game at times, as long as survivors have too many op perks killer needs to be broken to circumvent the issues along with dealing with rng which is why two rush down killers that can circumvent the bullshit that survivors and the devs caused are the only viable options now.

• OpenX

PHead is still pretty strong if you can actually close the gap though. His main strength is tunneling the eff outta people but that's a pretty good power. I have killed people so fast with him sometimes I eat DS from the first hook as I go to put them on death hook.

Billy is still pretty good if you 1 trick him and can do engravings curves. Probably the hardest killer in the game to play though.

Bubba is actually kinda meta if you facecamp with rancor and other endgame perks. Free kills into more free kills. You will literally never get a 0k.

And I guess we still got tombstone myers who is viable at all MMRs. And yeah Oni is good enough too.

I think Wraith can cheese pretty good with Hex: Blood favor if you are a gambling man who wants to rely entirely on a totem to win.

Beyond those? You basically just have to outplay the survivors massively to win.

• CyberDragoon656

Yes but remember those are certain instances , you think ph is good on outside maps where people can easily dodge his trails along with his m2 being too slow now?

Billy ,oni ,leatherface suck as indoor maps cause due to having way to much debris that can clip onto them.

Wraith which you have shown needs certain perks which means enduring the grind run along with not having anything to mitigate the fact he is slow as well unless hidden which can lead to people getting out of range.

Like I said certain instances can work but unless you have that one instance most of the killers fall apart.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

I dont care for consoles at all. This game is meant for PC. I played Nurse once as i started and after that 4 years not. Then i started doing an experiment on how hard she really is to learn. I played her a month for 2-3 games a day. I got easily into purple ranks. the following month i looked how far i can get in killer ranks. It was already felt "easy" enough to play against regular redranks, and not get stomped. So its really not htat hard even if you dont play much killer at all.

• SuzuKR

Ranks were garbage at determining and indicating skill level. That means basically nothing.

• I think her low kill percentage is a sign that people are learning her. People who play her well probably net an 80-90% kill rate. The ones who are still learning her are responsible for her being at 40% kill rate overall.

• OpenX

I don't know why you are jumping to the killers worst maps as an example. Blight and Nurse also get screwed by most indoor maps.

And I don't even use PHead for the M2 half the time, you just drag the sword behind them until they get into an animation lock. With tablet of the oppressor you can hold the sword for an eternity.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

She is fun from time to time. But looking at the ground half of the match and need to keep playing for muscle memory is not worth the time

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,269

I rather main huntress. I'm already having hard enough time to learn the hatchet throws. Nurse just annoys me and i hate the exhaust animation she has.

• CyberDragoon656

I say that because is a killer is to be considered strong you have to take their worst and their best if you just say the worst then all killers suck if you take just their best then you get what both survivor mains and the devs seemingly think. That's why I say most suck because both worst and best are taken in account and also why I hate whenever someone complains about killer perks at times cause they aren't survivors they are not just one mechanic with a pallette swap, each have their own setups and faults however when you look at the game as a whole its hard not to say the only worthwhile killers to play are nurse and blight.

• CyberDragoon656

If you don't care about consoles why should anyone take what you say seriously?

• OpenX

Sure, those are the two you play if you want to win the most. Blight being super fun helps alot at least.

For now, there is no real workaround other than not taking matches with the weaker killers too seriously. I don't mind losing on the low mobility anti-loop killers as much because they typically are just losing because of time rather than getting stomped by the survivors so it's at least entertaining.

They will probably never change it. The vast majority of the playerbase is at low MMR and those are who buy the most product so that's what the game is catered too. That's also the problem with SBMM. It's competitive matchmaking in a game that's clearly not made to be competitive or e-sports material even though some people try to pretend DBD is a tournament game (lmao).

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Learning to play Nurse is fun and all - if you only want to play Nurse. It feels like the more I play her, the more I *un*-learn how to play everyone else.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

As a Nurse main myself who has put probably close to 500 hours into Nurse alone I think there are several reasons.

First and foremost is that she is not that hard to be able to use mechanically but she is extremely tough to get decent with. Good survivors will bully you mercilessly and you have to have thick skin and keep pushing through as being bullied continuously is very disheartening. Sure you will not have much trouble dealing with W gamers who move predictably but you will quickly find yourself facing survivors with brains and it takes a LONG time to deal with their mindgames sufficiently.

Another issue is that I think she can be absolutely exhausting and frustrating to play well. I cant think of any other killer I play that takes so much mental energy and tilts me as much as Nurse. Even though I win almost every match it can often not feel like fun, I guess it could be because it is very mentally draining against good survivors and small mistakes cost Nurse dearly compared to other killers, as her cooldown is pretty brutal and only double recharge/range negates that somewhat.

But the biggest issue is the first, you get bullied a LOT learning her and I think for most people it just gets too much and they give up as it doesn't feel worth the stress

• BirdSpirit
    BirdSpirit Member Posts: 186

If there was a better practice mode you might see her more.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

I think it’s more that she’s annoying to learn when you have to do it vs people who already know how to play the game.