Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Just get rid of sbmm

It's doesn't do its job very well and it's get so tiresome of having to sweat my ass off just to have a inkling of fun. I can't do fun or unique builds because of sbmm and I'm forced to stick to meta or strong but not meta perks just to have a fair game.

Creativity and style that every killer/survivor bring to each match keeps the game fresh but now we have so many players just bringing the same thing over and over again.

This has started happening even more since sbmm dropped, so my proposal is just to get rid of it entirely and just let random chaos be fun.

Just a rant from the tired player. Thanks for stopping by, I'm going to take a nap now. (34hrs without sleep)

Comments

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

It shouldn't even be called skill based matchmaking.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,335
    edited March 2022

It should have been called Back to the Drawing Board because it's a mess. I did a little experiment this month where I haven't played Killer since rank reset and loaded on for a few games of Trapper..first time even picking up the character and only leveled him to 14. Regardless of Cross-play on or off it still paired with rainbow ranks in the middle of the day. IDC how you spin it, there's no reason for it the system to be designed around one specific aspect but still not achieve what it's intended function is. Where's the logic behind putting a killer you haven't played against red ranks. Especially when you're at both Brown IV and on a new killer. SBMM is all piss in the wind.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

To my understanding killer MMR doesn't decay and is averaged out between all of the killers you have played. So no matter who you pick you're never going to move out too far out of whatever matchmaking you're already getting.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,335
    edited March 2022

Essentially, which manifests this cycle that OP is referring to since it doesn't accurately reflect the dynamic performance between characters. If you main a strong killer long enough then you upset the MMR balance and it's much more difficult being able to play with other killers and learn them outside of reset, even though they have their own average. IMO it creates a situation where everyone gets punished just for not sticking to one character. From my understanding, you can tank your MMR when playing on new killers/survs by letting survivors escape or vice versa, but then when you get back on your main you're just bullying lower MMR ranks until you move up again. Assuming matching conditions are perfect it punishes them at that level because you aren't with people of your skill level.

Post edited by Nun_So_Vile on
  • edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,225
    edited March 2022

I couldn't be less satisfied with it on the solo survivor side. It's not matching me with teammates anywhere close to my skill level. It's every freaking game at this point. My teammates drop like flies and then I get in a chase that lasts for at least a minute as I wonder how in the world everyone was going down so fast. Even when they're not dropping left and right, they're throwing games by being wildly out of position. And it's not like I can "make a skilled play" to escape. I can't do 3 or 4 gens by myself in a 2v1 and then leave through the gate. This is unplayable.

• Risky12
    Risky12 Member Posts: 56

So I will just use this as an example, I am a player of above average skill. I can hold my own fairly well but still need my team from time to time. Now how the hell does that skill level translate to going against coconutrts. A literal hatched throwing God.

Above average vs literal pro... gee that sounds FAIR.

• edgarpoop

I agree that it's unfair. The system soft caps players at a certain point, meaning god tier players on both sides are rounded down for matchmaking purposes. Couple that with the fact that the system widens the match range in favor of queue times, and you end up with a mess.

For simplicity's sake, god tier Huntress is rounded down to 1900. Survivors A and B are good matches at 1800ish. But the game can't find any other survivors at that MMR, so it eventually takes a 1500 MMR player and a 1400 MMR player. It's a terrible match and a waste of everyone's time, but BHVR is adamant that players would rather be miserable in game than watching youtube in queue.

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 482

It either doesn't react quickly enough or isn't working at all, because I've failed to escape most of the last 30 games or so that I've played but the killers keep getting tougher and more skilled.

• Risky12

I would also like to point out that player moral has dropped a lot since sbmm and how the devs have stated this system will stay.

Players hate it and devs just don't care anymore.

• edgarpoop

Very good point. Player morale seems really, really low compared to any time I can remember.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,535

If they can´t improve it, that 10 hour player vs 2000 hour player doesn´t happen anymore it is just not a good system.

In that you can go back to old ranks/grades system and see if this is better (or maybe not).

• ItsJesseFFS
    ItsJesseFFS Member Posts: 100

Yeah this system needs to go. Literally just tried a match on a completely new account, no matches played yet - very first match was a god tier blight, and my teammates sucked.

MMR totally works, I see why new player retention would suck. If I'm just starting out the game for the first time, and I get sweatfest killers right off the start every single match, I'd quickly uninstall and refund.

• Risky12

I've been through every rework of sbmm but it has alsways missed on some level of balance.

There's just too many factors in the game that the system can't detect but in your case where you just made a Brand New account to restart fresh and you get a pro right away.

That's not even good programming.

any player starts a game new, the system should pair other players who are just as new or slightly better so they can slowly grasp the game and grow. But throwing them into the fire leaves some horrid impressions.